PDA

View Full Version : A new twist...

Captain Affenschwanz
11-14-08, 10:15 PM
We're all accustomed to weird things happening while playing SH, right? Here's a new one for me that I haven't read about:

I submerged my boat to 120, shut off the engines and began to wait in a shipping lane for something to come along. I then saved the game and called it a day. When I later opened the save, I found myself on the surface with the OOD screaming "we're under attack" followed by damage reports. I saw nothing on radar, in the sky, on the water or the map. I crash dived anyway and sent in Damage Control. End result after repairing the hull and batteries was 0 damage and another mystery.

I love this game!:up:

breadcatcher101
11-14-08, 10:39 PM
Think I have read here it is not best to save unless you are on the surface. I don't know about SH4, but SH3 didn't care for it too much if you saved with a convoy close by. I've no idea why though.

:hmm:

SteamWake
11-14-08, 11:41 PM
yea not a good idea to save while submerged.... wierd stuff happens.

Task Force
11-15-08, 12:05 AM
Ive had this bug when loading a save even on the surface.:yep:

SteamWake
11-15-08, 10:46 AM
Meh save games do weird stuff all the time.

Last night I sank a picket off some port. Another DD came 'running to his rescue' and drove me off.

We got away with some luck (ever notice that those 'side tossers' tend to go right over you and throw the DC's 20 yards to each side of you?) anyhow...

We moved a distance off and the DD had left town, where he went Ill never know. Surfaced and saw a colum of smoke from the one we had sunk.

Saved at that point and went off to do some housework.

Later that evening loaded that save and now there is two colums of smoke :hmm:

I 'flew' the external cam over to the port and wholy philidalphia experiment, one of the ships in port had been spawned inside the concrete of the pier, way up in land, on fire and smoking :doh:

Now I save quite often alot of times just as backup, at least 4 to 6 saves per patrol. Sometimes saving while submerged. I usually do not have problems.

Webster
11-15-08, 11:02 AM
Meh save games do weird stuff all the time.

Last night I sank a picket off some port. Another DD came 'running to his rescue' and drove me off.

We got away with some luck (ever notice that those 'side tossers' tend to go right over you and throw the DC's 20 yards to each side of you?) anyhow...

We moved a distance off and the DD had left town, where he went Ill never know. Surfaced and saw a colum of smoke from the one we had sunk.

Saved at that point and went off to do some housework.

Later that evening loaded that save and now there is two colums of smoke :hmm:

I 'flew' the external cam over to the port and wholy philidalphia experiment, one of the ships in port had been spawned inside the concrete of the pier, way up in land, on fire and smoking :doh:

Now I save quite often alot of times just as backup, at least 4 to 6 saves per patrol. Sometimes saving while submerged. I usually do not have problems.

well the first case i highlighted you might have saved before the ship disappeared from the game so even sunk it is being AI generated as long as it is visable and thus it can case issues.

the second highlighted area notes a big no no, you cant save near a port because it is full of AI generated items that cause issues because AI generated items dont save without causing issues.

to be sure of issue free saves dont save near land, in very shallow water, underwater, or while moving, you should only save at complete stop on surface with no AI generated items any where around you or within sensor or radar range.

Rockin Robbins
11-15-08, 07:32 PM
All that is SH3 stuff. In SH4 I save regardless of what's going on, even in combat and no problems in 15 months. It doesn't matter what's going on. I can save the game anywhere, in any situation at any depth with any mod combination. It just works every time for hundreds of saves.

Monica Lewinsky
11-15-08, 07:54 PM
I can save the game anywhere, in any situation at any depth with any mod combination. It just works every time for hundreds of saves.

Not to upset anyone, but, I too, don't get "IT" with these game "saves". I've saved surfaced and at periscope depth, come back the next day, load the save game and away I go where I was the night before. I follow your advice on the surface saves mostly, and now and then I gamble with a save game at periscope depth and never had a problem - EVER. True sometimes you get that annoying bashing sound of everthing getting wrecked when the initial screen comes up from the re-load, but thats it.

Has me puzzled. :huh:

AVGWarhawk
11-15-08, 08:18 PM
All that is SH3 stuff. In SH4 I save regardless of what's going on, even in combat and no problems in 15 months. It doesn't matter what's going on. I can save the game anywhere, in any situation at any depth with any mod combination. It just works every time for hundreds of saves.

:yep:

banjo
11-16-08, 10:27 AM
I echo what Rockin Robbins said.

SteamWake
11-16-08, 10:41 AM
Ive had this bug when loading a save even on the surface.:yep:

Yes all this talk about saves and things Ive never had a 'real' problem either.

Yet this is not unknown to happen, sudden catostrophic damage after loading a save.

It has been reported several times. Usually there is some explination, previous damage, mines, aircraft, and so on. But once in a while there is no logical explanation.

Stuff happens.

Loud_Silence
11-16-08, 01:06 PM
My little horror story:
Just after starting a patrol, off Fremantle, ahead standard to North West Cape at 2048x time. Halfway, BANG!! Screams, crushing sounds, people screaming WE ARE UNDER ATTACK!!!...
I go outside, and we're all alone there... no airplanes, no ships... nothing.
Maybe it was a mine drifting on high seas...
Or it could be the game becoming crazy again;)

banjo
11-16-08, 05:57 PM
Did you zoom in on the map and have a look? I have hit small shoals a few times that I couldn't see in Map view until I zoomed in.

Webster
11-16-08, 07:02 PM
well i had save game issues with sh3 and sh4 but since i got my new computer i never had a problem, but by that time i had already formed the habit of only saving under the conditions i described above, so maybe it depends a lot on your computers ability as well.

a marginal computer may have more issues with saves than a more advanced rig might.