PDA

View Full Version : Radar problem.

Telemon
11-10-08, 07:46 AM
My second question is about my radar.

After my first patrol, (more about this unmitigated disaster later), I installed my SD radar set. Now, on my second patrol, I am getting reports from the operator warning of contacts, which also show up on the chart, but I can not access the radar set to see for myself. I've tried switiching 'on' and changing the ranges but nothing is happening. I've also tried with the other set just in case I was using the wrong set.

Any ideas?

SteamWake
11-10-08, 10:35 AM
Your looking at the wrong radar set.

SD was passive I think and there is no station available in the game.

Your playing with the SJ which for some reason even though it is not available to you yet, nor installed the monitor is still on your boat :doh:

banjo
11-10-08, 11:31 AM
To say it another way, SD radar is in your boat but not modelled in the game, i.e. there is no SD station. Like Steamwake said, the radar you are looking at is SJ surface radar. It is modelled in your boat even tho it is not useable yet. At the appropriate time you will be able to buy SJ radar. Then your radar set in the boat will work.

Loud_Silence
11-10-08, 01:32 PM
Some time ago i had a problem where none of the radars worked. The SD didn't see airplanes at time and they appeared just over me.
I heared that the air search radar in SH4 was a rework of the radar emission detector of SH3, and air radar contacts were in reality "fake radar beacons" so the "emission detector" could see them. Is that true?

Nisgeis
11-10-08, 03:59 PM
Your looking at the wrong radar set.

SD was passive I think and there is no station available in the game.

Your playing with the SJ which for some reason even though it is not available to you yet, nor installed the monitor is still on your boat :doh:

Steamwake is correct about the stuff being in the interior, when it's not available - put it down to time restrictions the devs had or I suspect game engine documentation issues.

The SD is an active device though. It sends out a wave all around and gets a return off anything that can reflect the radar waves. As such, it is not a directional piece of kit and can only tell you the range at which something is. In reality, the scope for it would be an 'A' scope - that's the green one on the Surface radar set in game.

I heared that the air search radar in SH4 was a rework of the radar emission detector of SH3, and air radar contacts were in reality "fake radar beacons" so the "emission detector" could see them. Is that true?

No :D. The SD radar is implemented as a search radar which can only see high targets, beacons or other tricks not required. Other than the objects being set as units of course.

SteamWake
11-10-08, 05:02 PM
Other than the objects being set as units of course.

yes you have to watch out for that... Contacts are sometimes noted as 'smal convoy" or 'ship' the biggest tip is their speed will be listed as 'very fast'.

I got busted by this once... Hey a small convoy good lets go check it out... Badabooom down we went.

Nisgeis
11-10-08, 05:32 PM
Other than the objects being set as units of course.
yes you have to watch out for that... Contacts are sometimes noted as 'smal convoy" or 'ship' the biggest tip is their speed will be listed as 'very fast'.

I got busted by this once... Hey a small convoy good lets go check it out... Badabooom down we went.

Was that a 'convoy' of planes? I've noticed that the unidentified aircraft contacts appear as a ship type square, rather than the diamond aircraft symbol, but I didn't know that multiple planes appeared as a convoy - is that what it was? I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

LukeFF
11-11-08, 02:53 AM
The SD (and later SV) radar display was mounted in the control room on the portside, aft of the dive plane wheels.

Telemon
11-11-08, 09:15 AM
Thanks every one for the replies.

SteamWake
11-11-08, 10:29 AM
Was that a 'convoy' of planes? I've noticed that the unidentified aircraft contacts appear as a ship type square, rather than the diamond aircraft symbol, but I didn't know that multiple planes appeared as a convoy - is that what it was? I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Now that I think about it it might be a RFB thing. It also notes single 'plane' contacts as ships with the square, yet noted 'very fast'. If you zoom Waaaaaay in on them they appear as tiney aircraft. :p