PDA

View Full Version : DCG Campaign: Battle of France

baggygreen
11-09-08, 06:01 PM
So, hunter, may i ask why we're jumping to 4.09???

As in, is there a particular reason, or is 4.09 now more stable/better looking/whatever mate?:know:

HunterICX
11-09-08, 06:11 PM
So, hunter, may i ask why we're jumping to 4.09???

As in, is there a particular reason, or is 4.09 now more stable/better looking/whatever mate?:know:

personally I noticed a performance increase.
I've yet to try if this counts the same for the online campaign.

It hasnt been decided yet, I just put it there for now.
will be decided on monday.

HunterICX

Task Force
11-09-08, 06:15 PM
AAaaw, will this work with 4.08. And do I need any outher M*O*D*S that I dont have???
I hope my favorite M*O*D*S work with 4.09.

Now which wing do I want.:D (will say in this post.) What will the two wings be flying??

baggygreen
11-09-08, 06:21 PM
No worries :)

I'll look into popping a 2nd install onto my system then, so on the odd occassion I pop in I'll be able to join in:up:

HunterICX
11-09-08, 06:27 PM
AAaaw, will this work with 4.08. And do I need any outher M*O*D*S that I dont have???
I hope my favorite M*O*D*S work with 4.09.

Now which wing do I want.:D (will say in this post.) What will the two wings be flying??
aobut the mods read here : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=140435&page=7

what wings will be flying depending on the Mission and what the wingleader and his wingmen decide.

and, stop making so many posts shortly after eachother in just 1 thread.
it makes it hard for me to quote/answer one as when I hit reply I see 2 other questions. (and therefore I merged them)

HunterICX

Task Force
11-09-08, 06:40 PM
God thats a big file.:huh: sorry about that second post, should have edited the first.

Raptor1
11-09-08, 10:33 PM
Will both wings be Fighter wings?

HunterICX
11-10-08, 03:25 AM
Will both wings be Fighter wings?

^
what wings will be flying depending on the Mission and what the wingleader and his wingmen decide.

HunterICX

baggygreen
11-10-08, 03:31 AM
Hunter, what does ' ^ ' mean?:p

I look forward to seeing how it all goes :up:

Oberon
11-10-08, 06:45 AM
I'll warm up my Hurri!

Red Two if you like Hunter :up:

What's our squadron options? :D

HunterICX
11-10-08, 06:49 AM
I'll warm up my Hurri!

Red Two if you like Hunter :up:

What's our squadron options? :D

Done:up: ,

I gave it a quik peek yesterday.
from what I've spotted the first sortie
No1. Squadron RAF and the No3. Squadron RAF (if I remember correctly)
Flying Hurricane MKI's

HunterICX

Oberon
11-10-08, 06:55 AM
One sounds good, they covered the first half of the BoB too. :up:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bob1940/1to25.html (http://www.raf.mod.uk/bob1940/1to25.html)

Fincuan
11-10-08, 07:25 AM
Ah excellent news :up: Back to France it is then :lol:

I'm ok with the wing leader position. I'll probably make a separate installation with the Unified Installer and not use my current modded installation, just to make sure that no compatibility problems arise.

Raptor1
11-10-08, 12:52 PM
Ah, damnit, that means I'll have to fly fighters most of the time :cry:

Well, put me on Fin's wing then

Oberon
11-10-08, 01:03 PM
Urk, I'm d/ling the Unified installer, but it might not be ready in time for tonights sortee (shuffling along at a measely 64.4kb/s :cry: ). So I might have to sit tonights one out and join tomorrow. Sorry guys! :damn:

Schroeder
11-10-08, 01:23 PM
Downloaded.
Put me in any wing you like.:D (Damn it can't wait for friday, although I have a feeling that the AI 109s will drive us insane...:damn:)

Raptor1
11-10-08, 01:36 PM
Downloaded.
Put me in any wing you like.:D (Damn it can't wait for friday, although I have a feeling that the AI 109s will drive us insane...:damn:)

Yes, considering we're more than likely to be flying P-36s and Hurri Mk. Is

Fincuan
11-10-08, 01:46 PM
I just flew a few mock fights in a Hurri Mk1 against an AI 109E-4 in QMB, and... :damn:

I won all of them eventually, but only after damaging the 109 in an almost head-on pass enough so that I could catch him. Thank god for those glass-jaw DB601As :lol: Frustration is the word I think, since the fight always went like this: I dodge the first head-on pass, after which both turn. I easily get on the other fellas tail but too far to effectively open fire. He starts a shallow turning climb to get away, which is impossible to follow. I straighten out and put the Hurri into max climb while watching the other fella. When he sees I've given up the chase he pulls up into into vertical and does a hammerhead. Here's your chance: If you turn back towards him immediately after he starts the hammerhead you'll get a nice shot from above when he's coming down. After this he'll extend, you'll turn after him and the chase is on again...

Edit: If you want the better modded gunsight reticles, go to your IL2/MODS folder and remove the "-" in front of the "BritishReticlesMod" folder. It's disabled by default.

Kratos
11-10-08, 02:41 PM
Cant say i'm overjoyed at the locked cockpits :cry: I dont mind flying l/c but its when something unfortunate happens early in the sortee, its the sitting watching ....well nothing... sorry but i just dont have the patience for this at the moment.

Schroeder
11-10-08, 02:52 PM
Is there a way to remove the new extremley crappy sound when the plane gets hit by something? It sounds like a cola vendor dropping a can.:-?

Kratos
11-10-08, 02:58 PM
Is there a way to remove the new extremley crappy sound when the plane gets hit by something? It sounds like a cola vendor dropping a can.:-?

Thats what bullets sound like when hitting metal :know: ;)
It sounds a hell of a lot better than stock :yep:

Schroeder
11-10-08, 03:21 PM
Sorry, but I really don't think that a bullet hitting something makes a continous sound for almost 1 sec. It should be one bang and that's it. Here we have several sounds in a row which are supposed to be one impact.:hmm:

Task Force
11-10-08, 03:22 PM
Il take fins team.;) (got everything installed correctly*Gotta go install my favorite others*):D

Oberon
11-10-08, 04:16 PM
http://ojk007.googlepages.com/downloadwww.gif

SPANISH RADIO MURDERER!!

Kratos
11-10-08, 04:18 PM
http://ojk007.googlepages.com/downloadwww.gif

SPANISH RADIO MURDERER!!

:lol: having troubles? you need a bigger h/d

Raptor1
11-10-08, 04:19 PM
24 Billion Megabytes?

Kratos
11-10-08, 05:16 PM
Sorry, but I really don't think that a bullet hitting something makes a continous sound for almost 1 sec. It should be one bang and that's it. Here we have several sounds in a row which are supposed to be one impact.:hmm:

Does aircraft gunnery have the ability to fire single shots? I would imagine when you squeeze that trigger your going to let off more than one round, so i would think your gonna get hit by more than one bullet. Whether your evading or attacking, bullets are faster. If i were a modder thats the way i would be thinking ;)

HunterICX
11-10-08, 06:01 PM
We ran tests tonight and the following aircraft are now able to be flown:

Hurricane MkI
Spitfire MkI
M.S.406
Blenheims
P-36 Hawk
C-47

I really like the Hurricane :)
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5816/il2fb2008111023444100fy4.jpg

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4436/hurricanehz6.jpg

HunterICX

baggygreen
11-10-08, 08:52 PM
That is a stunning looking hurri!

much better than the ones in my game... is it au natural 4.09 or are there non-recommended extras there?

HunterICX
11-11-08, 03:29 AM
No, it's just a Hurricane MkI with a very well done BoB skin;)

HunterICX

Oberon
11-11-08, 07:22 AM
Looking good, looking very good. I'll be with you guys tonight :up:

Good to hear that the Spit Mk 1 is back on the list! :rock: :up: :rock:

Raptor1
11-11-08, 10:27 AM
I won't be there, probably going to see a movie

Schroeder
11-11-08, 12:17 PM
Does aircraft gunnery have the ability to fire single shots? I would imagine when you squeeze that trigger your going to let off more than one round, so i would think your gonna get hit by more than one bullet. Whether your evading or attacking, bullets are faster. If i were a modder thats the way i would be thinking ;) Well, I was talking about single shells from a 20mm flak. That are single hits.;)
Give up you will never change my bad opinion of something.:smug:

HunterICX
11-11-08, 12:41 PM

We'll see about that Schrödah!
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/2391/winstonchurchill01hu0.jpg

Bring me that Pilot with that horrible German English accent.

:arrgh!:

HunterICX

Kratos
11-11-08, 01:26 PM
Does aircraft gunnery have the ability to fire single shots? I would imagine when you squeeze that trigger your going to let off more than one round, so i would think your gonna get hit by more than one bullet. Whether your evading or attacking, bullets are faster. If i were a modder thats the way i would be thinking ;) Well, I was talking about single shells from a 20mm flak. That are single hits.;)

HeHe I forgot you a Jarmin and

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/pasquarade/correct.gif

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Dowly
11-11-08, 02:37 PM

How about ricochets bouncing all over inside the plane after a 20mm hit? If we are talking about the same sound I think we are talking about that is. :hmm: :D

Kratos
11-11-08, 02:40 PM
Oooh the ferret IS still alive ;) long time no speaky.

Fincuan
11-11-08, 03:55 PM
Anyone else having trouble connecting to Jimbuna's TS?

edit: Disregard, it works now

Kratos
11-11-08, 04:05 PM
:D

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/pasquarade/Animation1-6.gif

:rotfl:

Task Force
11-11-08, 07:34 PM
I could swear I got a 109 during that mission.:yep: Was fun, I was lucky that my engine didnt conk out.

(I remember that landing, 109 was trying to kill me.)lol

Is there anyway to get rid of that darn fog in the early hours, that was causing me issues.:-?

HunterICX
11-12-08, 03:40 AM
:D :up: Great read, Oberon

those swarming 109's are a real pain in the butt.

HunterICX

Task Force
11-12-08, 10:45 AM
Yes I remember the swarm of 109s, from 2000m they looked like a bunch of angry bees as I dived in.:lol:

Raptor1
11-12-08, 10:52 AM
We're just too used to outnumbering and outgunning the enemy

Task Force
11-12-08, 10:56 AM
Got that right, sadly this campaign is on hole untill hunter gets his new joystick. Which could be any day.

Raptor1
11-12-08, 11:10 AM
Got that right, sadly this campaign is on hole untill hunter gets his new joystick. Which could be any day.

Is that true?

Task Force
11-12-08, 11:51 AM
Yes its all true, thats why Oberon put this part in his report.

Something wasn't right with his control stick though

He said that he will host agian after his new Joystick arrives. (if the postal service dosent lose it)

I think I heard something about fin hosting a server though.

Schroeder
11-12-08, 01:25 PM
So it seems I will be in red wing flying the old Hurrie.
Hello.... Hunter..... your favorite smartass is about to join your wing on friday.....:know::smug:

@ Fin

If you stall the engine you can switch it on again. You might have to try several times until it really starts up again but if you have a few hundered meters of altitude you should be able to restart it.:know:

Task Force
11-12-08, 01:52 PM
Yes, im experimenting with ways to keep it on when doing -Gs, gona see if putting the throttle low or off helps any.:hmm:

Schroeder
11-12-08, 02:13 PM
It does. If you drop the throttle to zero you can do negative gs without a problem.

Fincuan
11-12-08, 02:18 PM
@ Fin

If you stall the engine you can switch it on again. You might have to try several times until it really starts up again but if you have a few hundered meters of altitude you should be able to restart it.:know:

No **** :lol:

Of course I know that, but It's kind of hard to restart it after you get the "Engine inoperable" message

Oberon
11-12-08, 02:30 PM
Aaah, the float carburetor, the bane of anyone who isn't used to it ;)

Split-S is your one and only friend :yep:

http://www.apstraining.com/images/split_s.jpg

Don't bunt, you'll cut your engine out and/or rip your wings off.

Another thing to note with the Mark I Spit, I don't know if this is modelled in IL2 (haven't had much of a chance to play with the Spit offline yet) but I found myself in a slight spot of bother in the Spit on BOBII the other day. Dived after a 109 to see if I'd managed to down him (I had) and picked up a fair bit of speed in my dive, then couldn't pull up or turn port or starboard. The wind speed over my wings must have reduced the effectiveness of the control surfaces, I've read about this but it's the first time I've noticed it in action. So that's something to keep an eye out for.
However, below 20,000 feet, you can out-turn the 109s for the most part, and you're also slightly faster. Above 20,000 feet however the advantage goes to the Germans. You're also faster on the level than the 109, only by about twenty mph though, and your key altitude for best performance is in the region of 11,000 to 16,000 feet. However, the 109 has a better armament than you, so keep your eyes on that mirror, it's a godsend.

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit1vrs109e.html (http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit1vrs109e.html)

At the end of the day though, it all boils down to who you're facing, in this case it's Olegs world, so the 109s would probably have the flight ability of a Eurofighter Typhoon, thus making this discussion point moot.

Fincuan
11-12-08, 03:00 PM
In Olegworld(in the hands of AI) the 109E4 climbs better and is faster than the Spit MkI up to about 6000 meters, after which the Spit slowly edges ahead. You can outturn it with ease at all altitudes. My engine stall happened very classically: I dove on a 109, and when I got to 300 meters it did the classical AI split-s. Forgetting I was in a Spit I pushed the stick forwards in order to keep the lead, and *scriits scraats* "Engine inoperable" :damn:

I read somewhere that not only do the Spit's controls get very heavy at high speed, but also that the roll controls might reverse. What happens is that when ailerons are used the entire wings twist, not only countering the aileron movements but cancelling them totally out and making the aircraft roll the OTHER WAY you wanted. How scary would that be the first time you experience it :o

Raptor1
11-12-08, 03:08 PM
How scary would that be the first time you experience it :o

Depending on what altitude you are in, being scared might be the least of your concerns

Oberon
11-12-08, 03:19 PM
Anyrud, I take it that because of the loss of our squadron leader that the France campaign is on hold until the fitters repair his control stick?
If so then I'll not worry about reclaiming the IL2 machine off SWMBO.

HunterICX
11-12-08, 03:22 PM
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/1752/leonidasemoticonci0il1.jpgTHIS....IS SAITEK!!!

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5882/1211082132fy1.jpg

*BOOT!*

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/748/1211082140ik5.jpg

HunterICX

Oberon
11-12-08, 03:26 PM
My god!! Did they airdrop that?! That was bloody quick!! :o

Task Force
11-12-08, 03:32 PM
Well looks as if your mail system is faster than the one over here.:huh: If I didnt know any better Id think it poped out of your internet connection.:lol:

Btw, you had the same joystick I have.

HunterICX
11-12-08, 03:38 PM
Well looks as if your mail system is faster than the one over here.:huh: If I didnt know any better Id think it poped out of your internet connection.:lol:

Btw, you had the same joystick I have.

I went to get the joystick, there is a PC city shop near me so it was just hopping by to check out and I spotted this one directly :D

HunterICX

Oberon
11-12-08, 04:08 PM
"Two section SCRAMBLE!!"

http://www.airforce-magazine.com/SiteCollectionImages/Magazine%20Article%20Images/2008/august%202008/battle01.jpg

Fincuan
11-12-08, 04:47 PM
I'm flying with JG53 atm, but will try to join you guys later on. We're just starting the second and last mission tonight, but it might still take a while.

Task Force
11-12-08, 07:03 PM
Yea, I need to stick to spitfires.:lol: Hopefuly il get one tomorrow. Good report Oberon.

Raptor1
11-12-08, 10:41 PM
I got 2 109s, and the Hawk ain't such a bad aircraft

HunterICX
11-13-08, 03:59 AM
Great letter yet again Oberon:up:
keep up the good work

HunterICX

Dowly
11-13-08, 09:42 AM
I WANNA FLY TOOOOO... which might come true soon... umm... me & missus aint speaking... :D:):-?:cry::damn:

Task Force
11-13-08, 03:05 PM
So we might have the Finnish Ferret flying with us tonight.:hmm:

Also what vesion of the hawk were we flying yesterday, so I can get some new skins. (hopefuly wing blue will be flying the Spitfire mk1 tonight.):D

Raptor1
11-13-08, 03:14 PM
So we might have the Finnish Ferret flying with us tonight.:hmm:

Also what vesion of the hawk were we flying yesterday, so I can get some new skins. (hopefuly wing blue will be flying the Spitfire mk1 tonight.):D

Hawk 75A-3 or A-4 (They are interchangeable)

Task Force
11-13-08, 03:18 PM
ok, found some realy nice cleanmetal skins. Shiney:huh:

Task Force
11-13-08, 05:55 PM
Sorry about the entire exit thing today, graphics driver crashed then I got a Blue screen.

Now TeamSpeak is rejecting me.:shifty:

Task Force
11-13-08, 06:42 PM
I was wondering where he went, couldn't find him. All i could see is 109s, 109s in my mirrors 109s in front of me.:huh: And my engine puffing out black smoke.:-? For now on, I am sticking to bombers.

baggygreen
11-13-08, 06:47 PM
I do love these campaign write-ups.

Silly question coming up: using DCG, if you take down enough bombers or whatever, does it have the potential to alter history and have the jarmins held in france?

Task Force
11-13-08, 06:56 PM
Dont realy know, it might.:hmm: But at are current rate, naaaaa.:lol:

Raptor1
11-13-08, 11:46 PM
I do love these campaign write-ups.

Silly question coming up: using DCG, if you take down enough bombers or whatever, does it have the potential to alter history and have the jarmins held in france?

If you manage to stall the German tanks in the campaign, it potentially has the ability to alter the outcome of the campaign, but AFAIK these campaigns are designed specifically so only 1 side could win them, so it might be very hard if not impossible to do

Fincuan
11-14-08, 06:00 AM
Depends on the the campaign design, but it should be entirely possible to win that as Brits, even though it looks unlikely at the moment given how much airplanes the enemy has. Last mission it was at first me, Task Force and one AI Spitfire against about 20 109Es and 10 He-111s, not to talk about an unknown amount of Stukas and maybe some Ju-88s somewhere around. The AI was naturally shot down quickly, Task Force soon after that and Hunter and Oberon got caught up in combat elsewhere, so there I was all alone in the middle of all that. "Home, James!" :)

Raptor1
11-14-08, 06:12 AM
Depends on the the campaign design, but it should be entirely possible to win that as Brits, even though it looks unlikely at the moment given how much airplanes the enemy has. I have no idea what campaign would be next.

I should think it will end the campaign, the Grand Campaign file seems to have no continuation campaign for a Red victory (Blue victory leads to Normandy '41) (At least, I think I'm checking the right place)

HunterICX
11-14-08, 06:26 AM
Great write up, Oberon :up:
love the read them early at work when I turn my PC on.

DCG campaigns can be won against all odds, but it requires some changes in DCG setting like aircraft in a squadron refreshment rate.

HunterICX

Dowly
11-14-08, 07:15 AM
DCG campaigns can be won against all odds, but it requires some changes in DCG setting like aircraft in a squadron refreshment rate.

HunterICX

Or just try to not get your plane's destroyed. :p

HunterICX
11-14-08, 07:48 AM

HunterICX

Or just try to not get your plane's destroyed. :p

AFAIK Doesnt affect the game we get fresh aircraft for each sortie.
unless I change that it takes more days for a squadron to get new aircraft then we'll have to start worry

HunterICX

TarJak
11-14-08, 08:06 AM
Tally ho chaps! Should be able to scramble with you tonight! Just tested my install and it seems to work OK.:up:

Oberon
11-14-08, 08:23 AM
Might not be with you guys tonight...got to do a mission of mercy for an old friend today and might not be up to flying.

HunterICX
11-14-08, 10:36 AM
Might not be with you guys tonight...got to do a mission of mercy for an old friend today and might not be up to flying.

:-? Can I make a wild guess and say this is about one of your cats?

HunterICX

Task Force
11-14-08, 02:47 PM
I hope I can get this stupid lag issue fixed, makes dogfighting harder when you are getting slow FPS. (Kind of fixed this, had no lag yesterday.)

Oberon
11-14-08, 03:52 PM
I think I'll call it a week here chaps, had a spot of a bad day, had to make the final journey with a beloved cat, called Merlyn ironically. Next week I will be in London, with a trip to the RAF museum planned, so I'll get to say hi to the real life Spit and Hurri Mk1s hopefully :)
Anyway, bag some Jerries for me will ya? And tell Baldrick to stop doodling on the map and calling it waypoints ;)

Task Force
11-14-08, 06:14 PM
I got 50 points!!!! Its a first, and I didnt get hit by that stupid a** lag cannon.:p

Task Force
11-14-08, 06:29 PM
Yes, I was watching as he dodged shells, then looses a part of a wing, then BOOM!!!:lol:

HunterICX
11-15-08, 05:39 AM
:-? those where sorties we rather forget :lol:

HunterICX

Raptor1
11-15-08, 11:37 AM
I think I'll call it a week here chaps, had a spot of a bad day, had to make the final journey with a beloved cat, called Merlyn ironically. Next week I will be in London, with a trip to the RAF museum planned, so I'll get to say hi to the real life Spit and Hurri Mk1s hopefully :)
Anyway, bag some Jerries for me will ya? And tell Baldrick to stop doodling on the map and calling it waypoints;)

Aha, that's where the name came from...

Anyway, will try to be there today, if the situation doesn't dictate otherwise

Task Force
11-15-08, 12:43 PM
Probably im not gona be there, going out to bestbuy, hopefuly prepareing myself to get 64bit vista.:)

Fincuan
11-15-08, 12:45 PM
I'm gona be there. I found some nice new mods and I'm a happy camper now :yep:

Task Force
11-15-08, 12:55 PM
Yes I did to, lots of realy nice mods.:D

Raptor1
11-15-08, 01:21 PM
Deserters will be sho...

Whoops, we're not the Germans anymore, err, deserters will be...err...reprimanded and put up for Court Martial?

Schroeder
11-15-08, 02:15 PM
I think I'll call it a week here chaps, had a spot of a bad day, had to make the final journey with a beloved cat, called Merlyn ironically.
Sorry to her about your loss. It's always hard to lose a pet. They really become members of the family.:-?

I hope you will feel better soon.:sunny:

Raptor1
11-15-08, 06:21 PM
Victory!!!!!!!!!!!

:rotfl::rotfl:

Dowly
11-15-08, 06:24 PM
Victory!!!!!!!!!!!

:rotfl::rotfl:

You gotta be ******* kidding me?! :down:

HunterICX
11-15-08, 07:16 PM
Due unexpected victory by dropping paratroopers over the objective area.
its fun to see this but it actually doesnt make sense really in historical timeline as it just ended.

I hereby restart the whole campaign, I close this thread and will move some of the post to the new (like the 1st post, screenshots and the reports of Oberon)
Also External will be turned off now, fin pointed me out a little mod that enables the externals only if you die.

HunterICX