PDA

View Full Version : Making Respects to All Hands

Admiral Von Gerlach
11-08-08, 09:38 PM
Just wanted to say hi, new joiner, looking forward to starting my first missions, just ordered SH IV and am studying the mods and looks great. Lots of amazing work going on here. Hello and thanks to all.

Arclight
11-08-08, 10:35 PM
Well, you came to the right place. :D

You'll find all the info you need to get you started, and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm sure the old salts around here will be able to help you out. ;)

Welcome aboard. :up:

SteamWake
11-08-08, 11:44 PM
<Salute>

Welcome aboard !

peabody
11-09-08, 12:47 AM
Welcome Aboard

Peabody

Admiral Von Gerlach
11-09-08, 01:27 PM
Much appreciate the warm welcome aboard. I am studying the mods and amazing work done here by the community on enhancements and am looking forward very much to getting aboard. My grandfather was for a while on a S class boat, i believe it was a S-42 type and worked up some of the US early subsurface doctrine, a cousin was skipper of the Arizona at Pearl and has remained at his post (Capt. Franklin Van Valkenberg), while on the other side, another great uncle was skipper of a Z 23 class can in the Kreigsmarine, another relative, Peter Gerlach was skipper of the U 223 in the Med and a comrade with Teddy Suhren, remarkable commander of the U 564, and another was an admiral. It was the stories of Suhren in the Indian Ocean theatre that led me to look into this game and I am very much looking forward to the remarkable capabilities of this game, and the campaigns both from the company and from you all to experience things i have only heard about or seen eveidence of in the boats i have visited long ago with my grandfather and his navy buddies. I am particularly interested in the Gato boats, as i have a close friend here in the small town in Colorado where i live who was in them 42-44 and ended up being ComSubPac in the early nuc days. So i will bend to my studies here, and crack the manuals, and listen to the scuttlebut and hopefully be able to learn from the old hands enough to survive a few missions. I wish i could ship as a deckhand to get the ropes before being thrown into command but i suspect the game makers could not include crew positions in the code :) thanks to all for the nice welcome in.

And i hope the old hands here will forgive a snotty taking a rank above my experinece here, i did it out of respect for family history and also past rank iwth the 1200 Naval Wargaming Society in the UK where i was last "posted" . I am still wet behind the ears and have everything to learn here so i will pipe down now and get to it.

Arclight
11-09-08, 02:07 PM
One of the best ways to learn is asking questions. No need to pipe down, matey. :ping:

We'll have you whipped into shape in no time. :lol:

*and an impressive family history by the way. :o

Rockin Robbins
11-09-08, 02:16 PM
Arrrrrrr! Welcome aboard matey, or Admiral, as you like to call yerself. Stylin' yerself an admiral you have mighty big shoes to fill and we're here to help you do that. We needed someone to share the grog with anywho. Pull up a stool and sit on the deck. The stool's for the grog.

Get yer bearings and don't be shy about askin' questions. The dumb ones have been asked before so you won't be shockin' anybody. We asked 'em first.:rotfl:

Sailor Steve
11-09-08, 03:16 PM
WELCOME ABOARD!:sunny:

I wish i could ship as a deckhand to get the ropes before being thrown into command...
There are plenty of single missions and practice scenarios, including submarine school, so you'll get all the practice you want before you put to sea for real. And, there are plenty of seasoned skippers here who are more than glad to tutor new players.

As for your name, a screen name is a screen name. Nobody really cares, as long as it suits you.

FIREWALL
11-09-08, 04:23 PM
Welcome Aboard :up:

Whether you be a Kaluen or Capt. you'll find the best mods on the internet to fix you right up. :rock:

Enjoy all there is to offer. And remember the most important thing here.

RTFM :p :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Admiral Von Gerlach
11-09-08, 06:26 PM
Thank you all. Very nice welcome.
re the history....i just mostly wanted to share a bit as i love matters naval from both sides....
but for all that family history, i still am here to pull my own oar....and will work hard

but i am very glad to hear about the training possiblities. as i need em all. and am amazed at the mods for both SH III and here for IV, the growing fleet of new ships included, simply amazing.

:huh: now, RTFM ...........

Arclight
11-09-08, 10:58 PM
NO, no no, don't RTFM. Use it as a coaster or just toss it out the window. If you have a fireplace, you can use it to heat your home, but whatever you do, don't read it.

It's mostly a copy-paste job from the SH3 one. If anything, it will only leave you with more questions.

btw; the realism settings for single missions and your career game are separate. After you start a career and you get to the office, click the radio on the left side of the screen, on top of the bookcase (you may have to pan the camera left to see it). :lol: ;)

<Jason>
11-09-08, 11:02 PM
Arrrrrrr! Welcome aboard matey, or Admiral, as you like to call yerself. Stylin' yerself an admiral you have mighty big shoes to fill and we're here to help you do that. We needed someone to share the grog with anywho. Pull up a stool and sit on the deck. The stool's for the grog.

lol . Classic RR. :lol:

welcome Admiral. im new here also and believe me, there is all the info you need in this forum. you'll be sinking em on manual in no time! see you round the forums :ahoy:

Captain Vlad
11-09-08, 11:13 PM
Welcome aboard, Admiral!

Admiral Von Gerlach
11-10-08, 02:58 PM
ah

Ah, ich verstehe jetzt. RTFM bezieht sich auf das Handbuch für das Spiel. Ich werde vorsichtig sein. Ich werde die Mods und Fragen stellen hier statt. Ich höre und wird gehorchen.

I understand, not to take the Manual as the bible but to ask questoins.......sorry
:)

I will ask questions. Many.

SteamWake
11-10-08, 03:17 PM
ah

Ah, ich verstehe jetzt. RTFM bezieht sich auf das Handbuch für das Spiel. Ich werde vorsichtig sein. Ich werde die Mods und Fragen stellen hier statt. Ich höre und wird gehorchen.

I will ask questions. Many.

Well if you ask them in this section english or a rough proximity thereof would be a good idea :lol:

There are seperate language forums also available. :up:

Admiral Von Gerlach
11-10-08, 03:32 PM
Sorry about that. I got excited by al lthe wonderful welcomes and the looking forward to so much this game.

AirborneTD
11-11-08, 01:06 PM
Welcome aboard. I've just gotten back into this fantastic sim. Enjoy!!

Sledgehammer427
11-11-08, 01:29 PM
Quite a family history there, Admiral V. G.

my uncle Julio was a loader on the BB Massachusetts, when she fought the Jean Bart.

too bad he had a heart attack before i could talk to him about it:cry:

anyways...welcome on board!

Admiral Von Gerlach
11-11-08, 01:51 PM
Thank you very much, Sledgehammer sir i was reading many of your posts yesterday in my resarch and catching up.....thank you for your kind hello...and that is tough duty a loader, they had to be fast. amazing dedication from all those fine men. Sorry you did not get to talk to him about it. The Jean Bart was also a fine ship, remarkable class. And the Mass was a fine BB too from what i have read, highly respected in the fleet.