PDA

View Full Version : The Fallout 3 Thread

Pages : [1] 2

NeonSamurai
11-07-08, 03:14 PM
Since there doesn't seem to be a thread for the actual game itself now that its out I figured I would start one for talking about the released game Fallout 3.

Though you are certainly welcome to post negative feedback as well as positive (and anything else having to do with the game) I will ask that you have at least played the game for a couple of days minimum before bashing it. You can not properly comment on something you have not personally experienced.

Ill post my own opinions here over the weekend when i have time, but I will say in brief that I do really like the game, I'm finding it to be generally pretty immersive, and a lot of fun, though of course not perfect.

LiveGoat
11-07-08, 05:33 PM
I've got it on PC. It's more fun than a barrel of strippers, but it has it's drawbacks:

1. The bugs! constant crashes, for some it's when you start a game, for others it's during the "growing up" stage of the game and then thereare those (like myself) who have 5-10 minute "windows" out in the wasteland to play before it locks up. This just becomes unbearable over time.

2. I hate that there is no option to turn of the "event camera" so that when I take a shot or punch using VATS I can stay in first person. Yeah,m it's cool to see the max paynish/matrixy style gore but after a while you get bored with it and you wanna stay immersed in first person.

3. The "rubble barriers" that force you to take the subways to reach different sections of downtown DC rather than being able to simply walk over or around them.

Other than the crashing issue the other complaints are minor quibbles that could possibly be fixed with mods (if they decide to release a Construction Set) and a patch should fix the bugs.

That said, it's a hevy contender for GOTY. I'm a big Fallout fan, too (pre-ordered the first two games back in the day) and to me it's got the feel down perfectly even though it's got a different game engine and perspective.

Also, I think the character creation/being born/growing up phase of the game was pure genius and Liam Neeson's voice acting was terrific. It made you want to carry on through the game. He was that compelling and that's usually a hard thing for actors to do in video games for some reason.

Get it, get it get it!

kiwi_2005
11-07-08, 07:46 PM
Ive found it a bit buggy too, and for some reason pretty much to easy, i mean this game is headshot galore! :lol: But hell yeah this is a joyride all the way for me so far. I think Besheda have done a awesome job the bugs do not make the game unplayable and next patch should come out soon.

SUBMAN1
11-07-08, 09:00 PM
Here is my take on the difficulty level. If you play with VATS, it is too easy. If you play as FPS only, it is rather difficult on the highest levels, though as you raise your stats, you can become a crackshot.

I have decided to forgo using VATS at all. It feels like a cheat and is not properly balanced.

-S

Galanti
11-07-08, 11:15 PM
I too get frequent CTD's once I'm out in the wastelands. The only thing that seems to cure them is to disable AA or play in windowed mode. Neither of it which is really acceptable so I believe I'll wait for a second patch. I've tried everything mentioned at the Bethesda forums (there are an insane amount of proposed 'fixes'), but the above two are the only ones that work.

On the other hand, it's an incrediable game, suffers a bit from consolitis like everything else these days, but when it's finally patched up and modded will remain on my hard drive for years to come.

Kapitan_Phillips
11-08-08, 08:16 AM
Bethesda is one of my favourite development studios :yep:

Galanti
11-08-08, 08:45 AM
Bethesda is one of my favourite development studios :yep:

Well, they may make great RPGs, but I can't say I'm terribly impressed with their technical skills. From what I've seen at their forums, most of the CTDs and freezes were common to Oblivion. Four years ago.

Speaking of the ludicrous and incomprehensible, has anyone been to the forums at hardcore Fallout 1 & 2 sites like duck and cover (http://http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/index.php)or No Mutants Allowed (http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/index.php)? These guys despise the game for no other reason I can guess than that it's not 2d, isometric and you can't kill kids. But the level of hatred and pure vitriol they have for the game is actually quite disturbing to witness.

SUBMAN1
11-08-08, 01:06 PM
Check to see if you guys are running ffmpeg. It seems to have been the cause of my crashes, or at least contributed to them significantly.

If you installed a codec pack at some point, there is a good chance you have it.

-S

fatty
11-08-08, 01:45 PM
I agree that VATS makes combat easy, especially after picking up a few perks like Sniper and Commando, both of which boost accuracy in VATS. With guns like the .44 magnum scoped that allow for good accuracy and multiple shots for your AP, you can easily clear a room of ghouls with a few seconds in VATS. Mysterious Stranger makes it even worse, with a chance to basically knock out one of your enemies for free when using VATS.

I am at level 11 now and decided to boost the difficulty from normal to hard. I would play without VATS, but I've invested so many perks into it and some baddies move fast enough that they're a pain to hit with the slower-firing weapons.

fatty
11-08-08, 02:04 PM
Also, I found Dogmeat again (as mentioned in the other thread I had lost him, feared he had gotten killed). I got a message saying he was waiting for me back at Vault 101. I didn't think I ordered him to go there; that may just be a default behaviour when he gets too far from you.

fatty
11-08-08, 03:02 PM
2. I hate that there is no option to turn of the "event camera" so that when I take a shot or punch using VATS I can stay in first person. Yeah,m it's cool to see the max paynish/matrixy style gore but after a while you get bored with it and you wanna stay immersed in first person.

I was getting a little tired of the VATS cam but when I took Bloody Mess perk, damn! I'm not sure I'll ever get bored of seeing a super mutant brute explode in a red spray at the business end of my shotgun now.

Tachyon
11-08-08, 05:32 PM
Haha...speaking of the Bloody mess perk..

I fired a Teddy Bear from the "Rock-It Launcher" into a Super Mutant, it was a real mess. Teddies are now officially evil.

I suggest getting the Fortune finder perk (or something like that), helps you get a lot of bottle caps, especially in those "Gore bags" the super mutants stash their meat.

Regarding the game crashing, I haven't had much crashes. Around 4 to be precise out of a total gaming time of 26 hours. 2 of them happened because I accidently alt-tabbed, and the other 2 happened when I opened the door to enter a new area.

I have to thank Galanti for his inputs. I'm never going back to the NMA forums again after the amount of Fallout 3 bashing I saw there.... I've played both the previous games, and I fail to see why they can't accept Fallout 3 as a successor. Sure, the writing may not be the best... but it's still in a good game on it's own merits.

SUBMAN1
11-08-08, 06:51 PM
Also, I found Dogmeat again (as mentioned in the other thread I had lost him, feared he had gotten killed). I got a message saying he was waiting for me back at Vault 101. I didn't think I ordered him to go there; that may just be a default behaviour when he gets too far from you.Dogmeat is in this? Right on! Always used to be a pain keeping him alive in Fallout, so I hope he is better now.

-S

Falkirion
11-08-08, 08:23 PM
Is Fallout 3 on PC buggy? Just curious as I'm thinking about picking it up, never played a Fallout before but the premise looks promising.

fatty
11-09-08, 01:16 AM
Also, I found Dogmeat again (as mentioned in the other thread I had lost him, feared he had gotten killed). I got a message saying he was waiting for me back at Vault 101. I didn't think I ordered him to go there; that may just be a default behaviour when he gets too far from you.Dogmeat is in this? Right on! Always used to be a pain keeping him alive in Fallout, so I hope he is better now.

-S

Yep. Do Moira's Wasteland Survival Guide quest in the Craterside Supply shop in Megaton. You'll find him in one of the first locales that she sends you to. He is fairly useful for distracting bad guys. His health also automatically regenerates so he's not so much of a liability.

Castout
11-09-08, 01:41 AM
Is Fallout 3 on PC buggy? Just curious as I'm thinking about picking it up, never played a Fallout before but the premise looks promising.

I think I've played for more than 15 hours into the game and I have had only 1 crashes.
That's bug free for me.

NeonSamurai
11-09-08, 11:06 AM
As for VATS I think the biggest problem with it is that you are invulnerable while in that mode (took me a little while to realize this until i got a couple of missiles in the face one time), otherwise I don't have much issue with it. I'm usually much more accurate outside of vats (and that's with 100 skill in my weapon of choice, and with sniper, commando, and gunslinger perks)

As I mentioned in another thread, I have been having the occasional crash every once in a while but that's about it.

Btw what are your guys favorite weapons? so far mine are Ol' Painless (a special .32 hunting rifle, same damage as a sniper rifle, no scope, much cheaper ammo), the dart gun (that thing is evil against melee enemies and for use in stealth. I would almost consider it over powered), and the shishkebab (dont leave home with out it). Combat shotgun is ok too. I haven't tried the energy or heavy weapons much yet (low skill with them)

SUBMAN1
11-09-08, 11:46 AM

It is if you have ffmpeg installed and do not allow for an exception for fallout 3. It used to cause frequent crashes in the wasteland.

You probably have ffmpeg installed if you have ever watched an HD mkv or AVI file on your system, or if you ever installed a codec pack.

-S

Tachyon
11-09-08, 12:05 PM
Argh..the shish-kebab... I've been looking for parts to make that thing. Btw, does it require flamer fuel per use?

Btw, the minigun is one of the worst heavy weapons. Sometimes, you have to shoot a ****load of bullets to kill a super mutant while 2-3 head shots from a hunting rifle can nail the sucker.

Dowly
11-09-08, 12:54 PM
As for VATS I think the biggest problem with it is that you are invulnerable while in that mode (took me a little while to realize this until i got a couple of missiles in the face one time), otherwise I don't have much issue with it.

Worry not, it's already modded so you take damage while in VATS. :up:
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=68

On the other news, better keep checking on Fallout 3 Nexus, the modding's very similar to Oblivion so shouldnt take long before we have craploads of mods to use. Already some good looking stuff been made. ;)

NeonSamurai
11-09-08, 11:14 PM
Argh..the shish-kebab... I've been looking for parts to make that thing. Btw, does it require flamer fuel per use?
Hmm really? I've found enough parts to make a couple dozen of them, just look for lawnmowers for the blade, stoves for the pilot light, and gas tank and hand brake are found all over the place (often near trashed motorcycles). If I remember right you can find at least one of each (and heck of a lot of mines so be careful) at Landmine.

Also no it doesn't use fuel or any other kind of ammo.

P.S. Knew about that mod Dowly but thanks for the link anyhow :) Hopefully the mod tools will be released shortly by beth

Tachyon
11-10-08, 06:00 AM
Just built a shishkebab. It is indeed a lethal weapon :up:, it's a shame it doesn't have the flamethrower's range.

I also found schematics for something called Nuka-Grenade , is that bomb worth it?

Dowly
11-10-08, 07:23 AM
Hopefully the mod tools will be released shortly by beth

Yup, sure hope so. Not sure how much of them tools made for Oblivion could be modified to work with FA3. Atleast the .BSA extractor was made in the first day or two after the release. :yep:

Rilder
11-10-08, 07:38 AM
Someone should play through and make an AAR of there playthrough so I don't have to ever buy it. :hmm:

Cobra5150
11-11-08, 09:24 AM
i love the fallout series and this game doesnt dissapoint. I havent experienced any bugs I play the game on full settings with my 4870x2. Love the atmosphere and characters. Also the random encounters are sweet. I ran into a pair of gouls and a pair of freed slave fighting over a supply of water at the anchorage war memorial. They came to a standoff and someone got nervous, shots were fired and in the end the gouls smoked em with some assualt rifles. The mods will be nice. Just started modding Oblivion 2 days ago. Man it's a huge task,but Ive never played oblivion much so when it starts with the mods it will be stellar. Now Bethesda makes two of the best games ever created. Hell ya go Bethesda!:rock:

Tachyon
11-11-08, 10:50 AM
Well, after the fiasco called Star Trek : Legacy , Bethesda finally delivered with Fallout 3.

Of course, the guys at the NMA forums think otherwise... but to quote Conan the Barbarian - "That is another story"

V.A.T.S is the thing that I can't get enough of in Fallout 3. Doing a headshot over a long distance and watching the bullet travel through the air to blow the head off is EPIC.

A shame you can't kill children in the game :nope:

Dowly
11-11-08, 11:34 AM

Yeh, but I think the modders will solve that "problem" very soon. ;)

Tachyon
11-11-08, 02:08 PM
Forgot to mention yet another shame... you can't do groin shots unlike the previous fallout games :nope:

I'd really like to see some flying testicles with the Bloody mess perk.:up:

Boris
11-11-08, 05:10 PM
Forgot to mention yet another shame... you can't do groin shots unlike the previous fallout games :nope:

You want to kill children and see flying testicles :o... I think you had better get yourself checked out mate

NeonSamurai
11-11-08, 05:21 PM
I believe he wants that stuff as it was present in fallout 1 & 2 or at least sort of

Dowly
11-11-08, 10:15 PM
I believe he wants that stuff as it was present in fallout 1 & 2 or at least sort of

:yep:

Tachyon
11-12-08, 12:39 AM

You want to kill children and see flying testicles :o... I think you had better get yourself checked out mate
:rotfl:

I only do that in the Fallout games. Killing a child in real life is pointless. I'm too poor to hire a good lawyer.

Any way, it's as NeonSamurai says - I just want to see more aspects of the previous Fallout games in this one. I don't mind it even if Fallout 3 doesn't let you drive vehicles, with the sort of rugged terrain.. it's difficult to drive anyway (also fallout 2's car was bugged and would disappear forever sometimes).

Cobra5150
11-12-08, 04:16 AM
It sucks when game designers cut GOOD concepts from sequels. If it was cool the first time why take it out?? Seems like going backwards. bethesda did that with Oblivion as well. its a good game but Morrowind did have aspects I liked that was redesigned in oblivion. Why I don't know:hmm: which seems to be a general consensus among elder scrolls fans. My biggest beef with fallout 3 is the size of the settlements. I mean canterbury commons has 4 people and a boy living there. Its more like a homestead or something not a town worthy of having caravans stop there. i can't beleive that the designers left some buildings un enterable. WTF is that all about? In fallout 1 and 2 buildings you cant enter is a rarity. I do think that the game has a great atmosphere non the less. I can't stop playing it at the moment and I hope bethesda makes a 4. Those guys at NMG are crazy they should enjoy the game and give real feedback to the community for mods and later for the 4th game.

NeonSamurai
11-12-08, 09:16 AM
We'll I'm not surprised some of the stuff from previous fallout games was cut; Sex, and extreme violence (and violence towards children) were obvious targets as those would push the game into an AO rating which would make it nigh impossible to sell in the US (game stores generally will not carry any AO titles).

This is why you don't see any more adult oriented games. For example Mass Effect contained the maximum amount of sexual content a game can have with out crossing that line to AO (and to not hit AO the game had to be considerably less gory then say fallout 3). When hot coffee for GTA3 happened, the game suddenly was bumped to an AO rating and yanked from virtually all the shelves in the states.

So if you want to get mad about it, yell at the game store chains who utterly refuse to carry games beyond a M rating. That and American (and to a lesser extent Canadian) culture which considers extreme and gruesome violence far more acceptable then :eek: sex and nudity (even non graphic sex).

As for vehicles, maybe someone will mod horses into Fallout 3 and make those robot horses you see adverts for (Buttercup or something like that). That would be funny to see.. grown men riding buttercups around the waste.

Oh and for enterable buildings, I think there are certainly more then enough in the game (there are piles and piles of buildings and other areas you can enter) so I'm not complaining. Besides some of those buildings can be later used by modders to add new locations.

Tachyon
11-12-08, 10:42 AM
Btw, anyone noticed that compared to Oblivion, the amount of bugs in Fallout 3 is considerably less? The only things I've noticed are occasional crashing, AI pathfinding issues (in Megaton especially, UGH) leading to NPCs dying, and a dialogue problem in the "Replicated Man" quest (dialogue won't show up for Dr. Preston, you can't ask him about the android).

Otherwise, it's quite polished for a retail release.

Dowly
11-12-08, 11:27 AM
Btw, anyone noticed that compared to Oblivion, the amount of bugs in Fallout 3 is considerably less? The only things I've noticed are occasional crashing, AI pathfinding issues (in Megaton especially, UGH) leading to NPCs dying, and a dialogue problem in the "Replicated Man" quest (dialogue won't show up for Dr. Preston, you can't ask him about the android).

Otherwise, it's quite polished for a retail release.

I'd be worried if there'd be as many bugs as Oblivion had. After all, the engine is (AFAIK) updated one from Oblivion's. ;)

Cobra5150
11-12-08, 02:28 PM
It's definatley the same engine as oblivion but it does have far less bugs. I'm pretty happy with the game over all they could have made the wasteland bigger though. As far as american culture not liking sex as opposed to violence I hate that. It's so taboo yet it's every where. I think in any game they should just opt for realism. That's what makes any game fun to me. Even a game designed around an imaginary theme or setting can be realistically portrayed. I mean the violence is over the top. I feel like the designers added that partly cuase it's like that in original fallout, plus it's so gory to help add to what has been taken out or over looked. I could use less gore and more realism like killing everything that is living, having sex,entering boarded houses through windows (or taking the boards off with a hammer), sleeping for more than an hour to get full health( a prob in oblivion as well), being able to smoke the cigs you pickup, more weapons like the original series, just an overall more spread out and larger wasteland with bigger more realistic settlements. this is just my little nitpickins, but really it's an awesome game so to hell with the minor stuff I'm gonna play right now.:yep:

SUBMAN1
11-13-08, 09:02 AM
Yeh, but I think the modders will solve that "problem" very soon. ;)I think you can in the US version. I'll have to try it.

-S

Tachyon
11-13-08, 10:37 AM
Yeh, but I think the modders will solve that "problem" very soon. ;)I think you can in the US version. I'll have to try it.

-S

Last I checked on the Bethesda forums, you can't kill kids in any version.

Dowly
11-13-08, 10:48 AM

-S
Last I checked on the Bethesda forums, you can't kill kids in any version.

Yup, that's what I've read too. But I also read that it might be a simple cotroller somewhere in the files that you can edit to be =0 instead of =1. :hmm:

Boris
11-13-08, 11:02 AM
There's a kill children mod up on Fallout 3 Nexus :yep:

Tachyon
11-13-08, 01:14 PM
Yep, I was just about to post it. You beat me to the announcement :P

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=909954

goldorak
11-13-08, 02:53 PM
Is it true that to save your files you have to be connected to the internet ? :doh:
You can't save locally.

Tachyon
11-13-08, 03:42 PM
:doh: Of course not ,I have no idea where you heard that.

OneToughHerring
11-14-08, 03:05 PM
Well I haven't yet bought this game, I might need to upgrade my rig before I do that. Just a question to those who have, how's the 'meat and bones' of the game, does the world of the game feel sort of like Oblivion, a bit empty and repetitive after a while?

Cobra5150
11-14-08, 06:54 PM
It's pretty good. It has a good atmosphere and some good character's. With the mods coming out it will be even better. I say buy it dude.

SUBMAN1
11-14-08, 08:01 PM
Well I haven't yet bought this game, I might need to upgrade my rig before I do that. Just a question to those who have, how's the 'meat and bones' of the game, does the world of the game feel sort of like Oblivion, a bit empty and repetitive after a while?I don't feel repetitive yet, though I probably only have 5 or 6 hours in. My work life is not allowing as much free time as I once had. Always something new to do though in FO3. Bullets are hard to find, so I resort to my sledgehammer on occasion. Definitely worth getting.

-S

Tachyon
11-15-08, 03:13 AM
It's never repetitive , simply due to your character. You can get multiple endings for a quest due to the good/bad decision making aspect of the game. I have yet to nuke the town of Megaton.

It's a pity there are no random encounters when you fast travel ... (except maybe for Talon Company popping up at your destination occasionally).

Smaragdadler
11-15-08, 06:25 AM
Ever tried to like Fallout 1&2 but never played it through because I found the combat system a joke (judged it with jagged alliance at that time).
So I thought I give it a new try and bought it today.
But I cant play it because this Live-thingy keeps poping up constantly. I have made a profil but I cant find out how to swith it of popping up every moment.
Sombody have a tip what I missed?

Tachyon
11-15-08, 11:02 AM
Fresh off the Bethesda forums!

Found a fix to increase the level cap beyond 20.

When playing the game, press ~ to bring up the console.

After that, type this :

setgs iMaxCharacterLevel ### (Replace the ### with the desired maximum level)

for example :

setgs iMaxCharacterLevel 30

:rock:

NeonSamurai
11-15-08, 02:08 PM
there is also a mod which accomplishes the same thing on the nexus.

FYI there can be problems if you max out all stats and/or skills and then level up again as you need to spend all the points to move out of the level up screen (there is a console command though to get out of it)

11-16-08, 12:08 AM
I got it for ps3. I'm having a blast with this game. It's just so depressing with comical body dismemberments. I like the power fist a little bit better then the sledgie.

fatty
11-16-08, 10:10 AM
Be careful with the main storyline, guys. The ending sneaks up on you very quickly, and as it is known that you can't continue after completing it, make sure you are happy with the rest of the world before you commit yourself too far to the quest.

NeonSamurai
11-16-08, 01:01 PM
If you don't want your game to end, just stay out of the Jefferson Memorial.

bert8for3
11-18-08, 11:11 AM
Really got hooked on this (Xbox ver) the last while. Not getting stale, but just about over the initial addiction, then back to subs pretty soon.

Falkirion
11-18-08, 09:44 PM
I'm hooked on Fallout 3. Saw a friend nuke Megaton and got it the same day. Great game, the world feels really barren and desolate. Only thing I dont like so far is the fact I found out some idiot gave huge ants the ability to spit fire at me.

Well that and travelling takes far too long. I want a motorbike or something!

SUBMAN1
11-18-08, 10:32 PM
... Only thing I dont like so far is the fact I found out some idiot gave huge ants the ability to spit fire at me....That was a genetic mistake. You can correct it.

SUBMAN1
11-18-08, 10:33 PM
DC looks so calm before the storm... The storm of me lugging my minigun downtown!

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9878/screenshot0jx3.jpg

Tachyon
11-19-08, 02:37 AM
The minigun kinda sucks because you waste a ****load of bullets just to kill a weak foe, when 2-3 head shots from a hunting rifle would do the trick.

Btw, I didn't know about this.. but your weapon's condition degrades 4 times faster in V.A.T.S

Here's the fix :

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=547

danlisa
11-19-08, 07:28 AM
Go get the Fisto from the Power Station by Minefield.;) Much better than any gun.

SUBMAN1
11-19-08, 08:58 AM
The minigun kinda sucks because you waste a ****load of bullets just to kill a weak foe, when 2-3 head shots from a hunting rifle would do the trick.

Btw, I didn't know about this.. but your weapon's condition degrades 4 times faster in V.A.T.S

Here's the fix :

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=547Eugene is no normal minigun. That is the name of it actually in the game. Damage vs hunting rifle? Hunting rifle is about 20 points of damage if repaired to full. 1 bullet from Eugene is about 60 points damage. Also, Eugene packs 240 bullets vs 5 for the hunting rifle. Do the math.

Also - I don't use VATS at all. Playing the hardest level with no VATS use. VATS is too powerful. Makes things way too easy. Game would be boring with its use.

-S

PS. Try taking down the Giant version (there are small ones the you could probably dispatch with a hunting rifle, and then there are the scary ones!) of the Radscorpion with your hunting rifle - even with VATS. Not gonna happen. Eugene makes short work of them.

PPS. Playing on the hardest level has the habit of making things take longer to drop too. They probably take 3 times the damage as of normal. You however, you die just as quick as playing on normal!

Tachyon
11-19-08, 11:29 AM
Regarding V.A.T.S, I like to see bullets fly in slow motion and dismember the opponent, I never get tired of seeing a long range shot from the rifle. Besides, V.A.T.S is all that's left of the previous Fallouts "Aimed Shot" system. Good for nostalgia.

And regarding the minigun, you never mentioned you were carrying Eugene. That's a no-contest for a standard hunting rifle.

Anyway, my point is in the wastage of bullets when shooting opponents with a minigun. By the time you realize the foe is dead, you'll find that you'd emptied more bullets than what was needed due to the fast re-fire rate. With a rifle though, you can control your ammo more easily. Do the math.

But yes, i'll agree that at close quarters the minigun can be a beast, good for crowd control.

Captain Vlad
11-19-08, 05:28 PM
(there are small ones the you could probably dispatch with a hunting rifle, and then there are the scary ones!) of the Radscorpion with your hunting rifle.

Probably dispatch the small ones with a hunting rifle? I take 'em out with a ball bat half the time.

SUBMAN1
11-19-08, 08:51 PM
Regarding V.A.T.S, I like to see bullets fly in slow motion and dismember the opponent, I never get tired of seeing a long range shot from the rifle. Besides, V.A.T.S is all that's left of the previous Fallouts "Aimed Shot" system. Good for nostalgia.

And regarding the minigun, you never mentioned you were carrying Eugene. That's a no-contest for a standard hunting rifle.

Anyway, my point is in the wastage of bullets when shooting opponents with a minigun. By the time you realize the foe is dead, you'll find that you'd emptied more bullets than what was needed due to the fast re-fire rate. With a rifle though, you can control your ammo more easily. Do the math.

But yes, i'll agree that at close quarters the minigun can be a beast, good for crowd control.If you're playing without Vats man, minigun will save your life on many occasion! :D Basically when an army is coming your way and there is nothing you can do but stand and fight, I don't think anything else would do.

I lug around with me Eugene, Chinese Assault Rifle, Combat Shotgun, Sniper Rifle, and both a laser pistol and a laser rifle. That gives me the tools to do the job regardless what it might be.

-S

Falkirion
11-19-08, 09:19 PM
Anyone got any tips for the beginning of the game? I'm not really sure what types of armor I should be gunning for early on. I'm still wearing a Vault 101 heavy security outfit and riot helmet. Keeping a baseball bat for close encounters and my 10mm pistol seems to do the job in short to mid range combat. Any tips would be appreciated.

Though I'll have to file them away until after Christmas. Wrath of the Lich king is sucking my life blood at the moment. Can't resist the call of a new World of Warcraft expansion.

NeonSamurai
11-19-08, 09:43 PM
Shishkebab and the pyro trait seriously messes up giant scorpions (and damn near anything else) throw in a dart gun shot first to kill their movement.

It slices, it dices, watch it cut a buick in half and cook it well done.

Personally I hate Sentry Bots (the ones with the tripod legs), now those suckers are dangerous.

Tachyon
11-20-08, 05:35 AM
Anyone got any tips for the beginning of the game? I'm not really sure what types of armor I should be gunning for early on. I'm still wearing a Vault 101 heavy security outfit and riot helmet. Keeping a baseball bat for close encounters and my 10mm pistol seems to do the job in short to mid range combat. Any tips would be appreciated.

Though I'll have to file them away until after Christmas. Wrath of the Lich king is sucking my life blood at the moment. Can't resist the call of a new World of Warcraft expansion.

Save your ammunition at the beginning. If you encounter opponents using Melee weapons, use melee to counter them. Also, do Moira's Wasteland Survival Guide Quest (from Megaton city), it'll help you a lot. Lucy West in Megaton also gives you a quest ( a fairly long one ) and at the end of it, you'll be the owner of the Shishkebab...a very good melee weapon.

Invest more points into your small guns skill (because small guns are the ones you'll be sticking to most of the time in the early game) , aim for headshots. Conserve ammo.

Moira will give you a Vault armored suit if I remember right, I used that for a long time until I finally got some Leather armour.

NeonSamurai
11-20-08, 10:15 AM
Repair skill is also very handy for both keeping your own gear together and making lots of caps too. I pretty much gather anything I find worth 10 caps or more to sell, particularly armor and weapons I gather, and repair skill lets me fix the armor and weapons i pick up, which lets me carry items worth a lot more individually having been repaired by duplicate items I found (you don't loose the value of the combined items when repairing unless you hit your skill cap to repair the item).

Raptor1
11-20-08, 02:51 PM
Gah, every single store around here has ran out of Fallout 3 for the PC :damn:

*despairs*

darius359au
11-20-08, 05:32 PM
I'm hooked on Fallout 3. Saw a friend nuke Megaton and got it the same day. Great game, the world feels really barren and desolate. Only thing I dont like so far is the fact I found out some idiot gave huge ants the ability to spit fire at me.

Well that and travelling takes far too long. I want a motorbike or something!

That's why their called Fire Ants ;)

I hired the ps3 version on Monday from my local video store , took it back on Wednesday and bought it Thursday - I'm a lover of the original games and I was worried that making it a FPS was going to really destroy the whole Fallout "atmosphere" , but Bethesda have captured it nicely :up:

Dowly
11-21-08, 05:52 AM
Holy poo! Yahtzee actually has something good to say about FO3!:rock:

Language warning!!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/420-Fallout-3

Tachyon
11-21-08, 11:41 AM

Language warning!!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/420-Fallout-3

I don't mean to Hijack this thread, but have you guys played Yahtzee's 6 days a sacrifice, 7 days a sceptic e.t.c games ? They had a pretty good plotline and all of them combined well to form a proper climax. Bethesda should've hired Yahtzee

SUBMAN1
11-22-08, 11:54 AM

Language warning!!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/420-Fallout-3He did. Probably the best review he ever did on a game. Most games are lucky to get half that.

-S

Falkirion
11-23-08, 05:22 PM
Now I remember why I love Fallout 3 over World of Warcraft. One its free after the initial investment. Two it has some fairly funny weapons. Like the Shishkebab, a flaming sword of death is always a good thing to have by your side.

Also got the ripper, thats another fun weapon. Rapscorpions beware as I backpeddle and cut you at the same time!

Three. Its not as much of a time sink as WoW. Ah well, more post apocolyptic fun to be had in DC tonight. If I can ignore WoW's siren song or the server queue is too long.

SUBMAN1
11-23-08, 06:59 PM
Repair skill is also very handy for both keeping your own gear together and making lots of caps too. I pretty much gather anything I find worth 10 caps or more to sell, particularly armor and weapons I gather, and repair skill lets me fix the armor and weapons i pick up, which lets me carry items worth a lot more individually having been repaired by duplicate items I found (you don't loose the value of the combined items when repairing unless you hit your skill cap to repair the item).
This is the best advice on the board. Top- 3 skills include repair, lockpick, and speech. Science will end up being a distant fourth.

Repair not only has the capacity to make you a ton of $$$, but a bullet that does 50 points of damage is much better than a bullet that does 15 points of damage, saving you not only ammo, but killing your opponent faster as well. Take head of the repair skill

Lockpick is obvious - everything worth having practically is locked up somewhere. Some places you will never get to without 100 lockpick skill.

Speech is less obvious. With a high speech skill, you almost always get dialog choices you would not normally get earning you both XP, and additional missions, or getting you additional gear. Speech is more important than having a high weapons skill. Minimum is 50 for the beginning of the game, then max it out later.

-S

SUBMAN1
11-23-08, 09:38 PM
Just another pic before I go get into trouble again:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7716/screenshot1qv9.jpg

Falkirion
11-23-08, 10:12 PM
Dont recognize the area Subman, I'd have to guess Northern wastes though. I'm still exploring the area in the South West with a goal to get to Rivet City tonight. I really should start taking shots, I haven't found a games atmosphere that immersive in a while.

Tachyon
11-24-08, 12:40 AM
This is the best advice on the board. Top- 3 skills include repair, lockpick, and speech. Science will end up being a distant fourth.

Repair not only has the capacity to make you a ton of $$$, but a bullet that does 50 points of damage is much better than a bullet that does 15 points of damage, saving you not only ammo, but killing your opponent faster as well. Take head of the repair skill

Lockpick is obvious - everything worth having practically is locked up somewhere. Some places you will never get to without 100 lockpick skill.

Speech is less obvious. With a high speech skill, you almost always get dialog choices you would not normally get earning you both XP, and additional missions, or getting you additional gear. Speech is more important than having a high weapons skill. Minimum is 50 for the beginning of the game, then max it out later.

-S
You shouldn't slack on Science much, reprogramming turrets and bots makes your job a lot easier. Also, most safes early in the game that require a 100 lockpick skill to break can be opened by hacking a nearby terminal with just an average science skill. Getting science to 50 is an ok value.

Btw, what's the point of that screenshot?

SUBMAN1
11-24-08, 11:14 PM
You shouldn't slack on Science much, reprogramming turrets and bots makes your job a lot easier. Also, most safes early in the game that require a 100 lockpick skill to break can be opened by hacking a nearby terminal with just an average science skill. Getting science to 50 is an ok value.

Btw, what's the point of that screenshot?That is why I put Science in 4th place. Lockpick 100 is a better skill to have though.

That shot is from the Southwest I think. Lots of land to cover. Was looking for some Vampires I think at the time.

-S

SUBMAN1
11-25-08, 12:07 AM
Dont recognize the area Subman, I'd have to guess Northern wastes though. I'm still exploring the area in the South West with a goal to get to Rivet City tonight. I really should start taking shots, I haven't found a games atmosphere that immersive in a while.There are plenty of places to find in this game. Here is another one:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3605/screenshot2jb5.jpg

Tachyon
11-25-08, 02:44 AM
Vampires? You mean the Family that you meet in the "Blood Ties" quest via Arefu?

SUBMAN1
11-25-08, 08:57 AM
Vampires? You mean the Family that you meet in the "Blood Ties" quest via Arefu?I won't say anything to spoil it for anyone.

Tachyon
11-25-08, 11:51 AM
Your mention of Vampires was a spoiler actually :) , not many people playing Fallout 3 have encountered them. Besides, we didn't have them in Fallout 1 and 2.

Has anyone encountered a Deathclaw yet? I'm looking forward to meeting one and would appreciate some strategies.

darius359au
11-25-08, 04:42 PM
Your mention of Vampires was a spoiler actually :) , not many people playing Fallout 3 have encountered them. Besides, we didn't have them in Fallout 1 and 2.

Has anyone encountered a Deathclaw yet? I'm looking forward to meeting one and would appreciate some strategies.

I ran into a Deathclaw the other day near the scrapyard - It was attacking a BOS outcast so I sat back and kept sniping it in the head while it killed the outcast , It still almost got to melee range with me before it went down :o , they truly look and act as mean as their supposed to be.

Tachyon
11-25-08, 05:02 PM
Finally found a Deathclaw attacking two Wastelanders near the Oasis. 3 head shots from the AR-21 Plasma rifle blew it to pieces. As a reward, the Wastelanders gave me a map.

Falkirion
11-25-08, 05:31 PM
Finally found a Deathclaw attacking two Wastelanders near the Oasis. 3 head shots from the AR-21 Plasma rifle blew it to pieces. As a reward, the Wastelanders gave me a map.

I've heard using the dart gun and crippling Deathclaws legs works wonders.

Tachyon
11-25-08, 11:49 PM
Interesting, I didn't think of that...I'll see what hilarious effects it produces. Thanks for the info. Now, all I need to find is a Deathclaw...I heard there's a Deathclaw site somewhere, guess I have to look for it.

NeonSamurai
11-26-08, 10:04 AM
Dart Gun is a very handy weapon, it messes up melee attackers by slowing them down a fair amount (and prevents then pouncing or leaping) and is also silent for you stealth types like me.

Tachyon
11-26-08, 01:24 PM
But one thing I hate in Fallout 3 is that when you cripple an enemy's head, they still manage to shoot you back accurately though they're supposed to be heavily disoriented.

Not so in Fallout 1 and 2, shooting their eyes would produce hilarious results. Like an Enclave trooper accidently blowing his companion to bits with a minigun.

Captain Vlad
11-26-08, 10:39 PM
Dart Gun is a very handy weapon, it messes up melee attackers by slowing them down a fair amount (and prevents then pouncing or leaping) and is also silent for you stealth types like me.

I need one. I'm a creep around type too. Currently I'm trying to find 10mm pistols for parts to repair the silenced one I bought. Damn things were everywhere until I WANTED to see them.

Tachyon
11-27-08, 01:48 AM
I need one. I'm a creep around type too. Currently I'm trying to find 10mm pistols for parts to repair the silenced one I bought. Damn things were everywhere until I WANTED to see them.

Ah the sneaky type, well.. I just recently learned how to do the "Exploding Pants" trick. You should try it, it's great fun :yep: . Doesn't work well for me because I'm not sneaky.

Captain Vlad
11-27-08, 02:16 AM
I just got in a three way firefight with two super mutants and three raider types, with me and the mutants on one side of the river, and the raiders on the other.

For a grand total of two .308 rounds, I netted a couple of assault rifles, a minigun and some ammo, a combat shotgun, and assorted armor. This was cool, but not as cool as watching the tracers fly back and forth across the Potomac while I waited to pick off the winners.

Tachyon: So far I haven't had the opportunity to use that trick, though I did utilize it on previous Fallout games.

Falkirion
11-27-08, 06:09 AM
Got through to GNR plaza just now. That was fun, had to pop a stealth boy to get me past all the super mutants blocking my way from Chevy Chase north metro station. But got there and let the brotherhood take care of a SMB while I went inside. Massive fire fight, one of the brotherhood went down I helped myself to his power armor. Now I've got something to wear when I finally get the ability to wear it.

Boris
11-27-08, 08:08 AM
It's been announced that the Fallout 3 SDK is going to be released in December, so we can await some nice mods in the months coming.

Tachyon
11-27-08, 09:18 AM
Got through to GNR plaza just now. That was fun, had to pop a stealth boy to get me past all the super mutants blocking my way from Chevy Chase north metro station. But got there and let the brotherhood take care of a SMB while I went inside. Massive fire fight, one of the brotherhood went down I helped myself to his power armor. Now I've got something to wear when I finally get the ability to wear it.

BoS power armour is good, but wait till you get the T-51B Power armour. It's one of a kind.

NeonSamurai
11-27-08, 09:30 AM
Ah the sneaky type, well.. I just recently learned how to do the "Exploding Pants" trick. You should try it, it's great fun :yep: . Doesn't work well for me because I'm not sneaky.

Ya I know that one, lots of fun in a crowded room.

Good that they are releasing the SDK

Falkirion
11-28-08, 09:07 PM
Ya I know that one, lots of fun in a crowded room.

Good that they are releasing the SDK
Appropriately named G.E.C.K.

SUBMAN1
11-29-08, 03:07 AM
The National Monument:

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2333/screenshot4db7.jpg

Cohaagen
11-29-08, 05:20 AM
Things I've done in Fallout 3 which reminded me of the first two games:
Mezzed Tammy Hargrave and stole everything she had, even her clothes, then threw her bottle of wine back at her
Pushed Mr Lopez off the ship's bridge in Rivet City
Convinced Button Gwinnett to blow himself up
Stuck a grenade in a Brotherhood Initiate's metal trousers then watched him blow up in a mushy pink cloud of tripe and bones several seconds later
Broke up a marriage in Tenpenny Towers resulting in a double murder
Killed several people with Psycho and Jet overdosesI also sold out that fart Seagrave Holmes because I hated his stupid hat.

In my favour, though, I did wipe out all the Slavers in Paradise Falls on principle, and my karma is seemingly unaffected since my PipBoy states that I am apparently the "Last, Best Hope of Humanity" (Level 20).

After playing through to the rubbish ending of the main quest, I reloaded my last savegame and am currently trudging around the map visiting every location revealed with the Explorer perk. I also plan on murdering Three Dog and smashing up his studio at some point.

EDIT: I also shot Dogmeat because he kept giving my position away, which I realise is quite bad taste.

Dowly
11-29-08, 07:17 AM
Things I've done in Fallout 3 which reminded me of the first two games:
Mezzed Tammy Hargrave and stole everything she had, even her clothes, then threw her bottle of wine back at her
Pushed Mr Lopez off the ship's bridge in Rivet City
Convinced Button Gwinnett to blow himself up
Stuck a grenade in a Brotherhood Initiate's metal trousers then watched him blow up in a mushy pink cloud of tripe and bones several seconds later
Broke up a marriage in Tenpenny Towers causing a double murder
Killed several people with Psycho and Jet overdosesI also sold out that fart Seagrave Holmes because I hated his stupid hat.

In my favour, though, I did wipe out all the Slavers in Paradise Falls on principle, and my karma is seemingly unaffected since my PipBoy states that I am apparently the "Last, Best Hope of Humanity" (Level 20).

After playing through to the rubbish ending of the main quest, I reloaded my last savegame and am currently trudging around the map visiting every location revealed with the Explorer perk. I also plan on murdering Three Dog and smashing up his studio at some point.

EDIT: I also shot Dogmeat because he kept giving my position away, which I realise is quite bad taste.

:rotfl::rotfl:

Cohaagen
11-29-08, 07:40 AM
Okay, I just zapped Three Dog with a sledgehammer (whilst he slept) to stop his annoying radio show and am currently running around high on Psycho, Jet and Mentats in nothing but my underwear and Three Dog's charisma-boosting bandana.

With regards to the supposed "controversy" surrounding F3: while I can understand some of NMA's criticisms, that type of irrational, neurotic super-fan rapidly becomes depressing to listen to. It's glorious to read their laughable yet seemingly earnest complaints about "wooden houses still standing after 200 years" in a series that already features two-headed mutant cows and giant scorpions. I doubt they'd have been happy with the game unless it came in a scratched jewel case and could only be run in glorious Super VGA on a beige Pentium 90 with Windows ME, the music coming through an Ad Lib soundcard. I can remember PC gaming in the 90s and earlier - for the most part, it was crap. No golden age, I can assure you.

GlobalExplorer
11-29-08, 10:23 AM
With regards to the supposed "controversy" surrounding F3: while I can understand some of NMA's criticisms, that type of irrational, neurotic super-fan rapidly becomes depressing to listen to. ... I doubt they'd have been happy with the game unless it came in a scratched jewel case and could only be run in glorious Super VGA on a beige Pentium 90 with Windows ME, the music coming through an Ad Lib soundcard.

Sure, you genius, if they could only run F3 in low res and ugly colors, they'd like it too! They are just too weird to appreciate something of such ravishing beauty as Bethesdas new Masterwork, though the reviews in the media outlets are unchallengeable proof this is better than any other RPG.

I can remember PC gaming in the 90s and earlier - for the most part, it was crap. No golden age, I can assure you.

It might as well be that you have no clue, or just very bad taste.

Anyway, I don't want to disturb the party, or be in the way of the Bethesda PR train. Just next time you try to ridicule something you don't understand, please remember there are other people reading the thread too!

OneToughHerring
11-29-08, 12:43 PM
I played FO 1 and 2 when they came out, haven't really gone back to them once completing them a few times. I remember the long load times when going from screen to screen. I'm not a big fan of some of the other Blackisle/Interplay products such as Planescape Torment (played this some time ago) or Arcanum, a game by Troika, the 'descendant' of Interplay. I had high hopes for Arcanum but even when it came out I just didn't have the stamina for another long winded, although probably great, game.

Those games were nice but I have an affinity for Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, a game by Troika. Now Troika is gone too, sadly. Haven't yet played FO3 but I wish the makers had taken a close look at VTMB, it is a good guideline on how to create a FPS-type, story driven game which isn't just for console-kids.

One thing that FO1 and 2 were good in was voice acting. What a great bunch of voiceactors in both of them, and they bring a lot to the game.

Captain Vlad
11-29-08, 02:32 PM
Though I think I enjoyed FO1 and FO2 more on the first playthrough, Arcanum is the member of that little family I keep wanting to go back and play again.

FO3 has been damned fun so far; I find it's not one of those play-till-I-finish obsessions like some other games...it's more 'load it up, play a while, log off with a smile and return tomorrow', much like the first two were for me. That's a good thing. Makes the experience last longer.

I can remember PC gaming in the 90s and earlier - for the most part, it was crap

90% of everything is crap, during any era. Ten years from now, someone will be calling this the golden age, though, because they only remember the good stuff.

Tachyon
11-29-08, 03:09 PM
I do hope Bethesda adds more quests soon. Considering the number of locations in the world map, it seems odd that there only a few side-quests. Also, the main quest sneaks up on you and is over even before it begins :P .

darius359au
11-29-08, 07:57 PM
With regards to the supposed "controversy" surrounding F3: while I can understand some of NMA's criticisms, that type of irrational, neurotic super-fan rapidly becomes depressing to listen to. ... I doubt they'd have been happy with the game unless it came in a scratched jewel case and could only be run in glorious Super VGA on a beige Pentium 90 with Windows ME, the music coming through an Ad Lib soundcard.
Sure, you genius, if they could only run F3 in low res and ugly colors, they'd like it too! They are just too weird to appreciate something of such ravishing beauty as Bethesdas new Masterwork, though the reviews in the media outlets are unchallengeable proof this is better than any other RPG.

I can remember PC gaming in the 90s and earlier - for the most part, it was crap. No golden age, I can assure you.
It might as well be that you have no clue, or just very bad taste.

Anyway, I don't want to disturb the party, or be in the way of the Bethesda PR train. Just next time you try to ridicule something you don't understand, please remember there are other people reading the thread too!
NMA is typical of any long term hardcore fansite , if a new version of their favorite game comes out and its not exactly like what their used to playing then things get nasty , but the thing is , it all boils down to personal preference - If you liked the old version and hate the new one thats fine , But its also ok to like the old and the new , But people at NMA seem to have forgotten that in all the hate and complaints about FO3 and nothings going to change their minds anyway ,so the best thing to do is not worry about it and go back to gooping super mutants with a plasma rifle , and let them get back to doing the same thing in their way;)

Ps - And yes , I still have FO1,2 and Tactic's on my computer and I still play them:up:

SUBMAN1
11-30-08, 12:16 AM
Though I think I enjoyed FO1 and FO2 more on the first playthrough, Arcanum is the member of that little family I keep wanting to go back and play again.

FO3 has been damned fun so far; I find it's not one of those play-till-I-finish obsessions like some other games...it's more 'load it up, play a while, log off with a smile and return tomorrow', much like the first two were for me. That's a good thing. Makes the experience last longer....

I think what makes it so fun is that there is just too much to do and explore. I'm capped at level 20, but I have only touched part of the world so far. I kind of like being capped at level 20 too. It still makes things like a Deathclaw something to take seriously!

Just took out Paradise, and removed the slavers in it. Got rid of a large Raiders camp too. Kind of fun that one with me letting loose a behemoth Super Mutant that rampaged the whole place making my job easy!

What is so good about Fallout 3? It has that rare 'just one more thing' syndrome associated with rare good games. If you find yourself saying just one more thing while you watch the clock, then you know you have a gem.

-S

Tachyon
11-30-08, 12:31 AM
Those enclave camps and the vertibirds that pop up soon during the main quest also added to the atmosphere. In Fallout 2 , you didn't exactly get to see one of them land in front of you and drop troopers off. Totally agree with the "just one more thing" syndrome, time flies by on it's own.

Captain Vlad
11-30-08, 01:12 AM
I think what makes it so fun is that there is just too much to do and explore. I'm capped at level 20, but I have only touched part of the world so far. I kind of like being capped at level 20 too. It still makes things like a Deathclaw something to take seriously!

I was wondering if that was what they were up too with the level cap, and I'm glad to see I was right. On one hand, it does mean that, after a certain point, you don't get an advancement rush, but if my math is right, it also means you'll get to a point where you still have to contend with certain strengths and weaknesses in your character, which is as it should be.

What is so good about Fallout 3? It has that rare 'just one more thing' syndrome associated with rare good games. If you find yourself saying just one more thing while you watch the clock, then you know you have a gem.

And that's nasty when combined with the way the graphics let you see so far. I keep playing longer than I intended when I see some building off in the distance and feel compelled to go see what it is. This, incidentally, is one of the few games where I've wished I had a pair of binoculars.

SUBMAN1
11-30-08, 11:51 AM
...This, incidentally, is one of the few games where I've wished I had a pair of binoculars.You do. Its called a sniper rifle. I carry it for that reason, and the fact that even though it only says it does so much damage, though when you hit with it, it always seems to hurt whatever way more than what it suggests on paper.

-S

SUBMAN1
11-30-08, 11:58 AM
Some nice HDR lighting:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/585/screenshot5rm5.jpg

Tachyon
11-30-08, 01:23 PM
Btw guys, if you've seen funny green lights streaking across the sky at night, keep your eyes peeled for some Alien power cells on the floor.

Wolfehunter
11-30-08, 03:07 PM
I gave the game a try on my friend system.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff110/WolfeXhunter/ScreenShot3.jpg
Ranger camp.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff110/WolfeXhunter/ScreenShot5.jpg

Over all its a passable game but has major bug issue that needs gamers to resolve on their own to fix it.

Still a fallout world yet not a true fallout sequel. Game is good overall. I'll wait till all the modders have fixed the game to a truer original fallout series.

I know child killing is done but has some graphical glitches. Evil isn't truelly evil in this game which sucks. Problem is when you go above the level cap as an evil character it crashes. :nope: Can't wait till nudity is back then the fallout world will be complete. :hmm:

Maybe with GECK comming out soon who knows? It will take the modder to fix it properly. I'll be waiting patiently.;)

Captain Vlad
12-01-08, 01:34 AM
You do. Its called a sniper rifle. I carry it for that reason, and the fact that even though it only says it does so much damage, though when you hit with it, it always seems to hurt whatever way more than what it suggests on paper.

Yeah, I use the scope for that as well, though it's not quite the 'see what's waaaay over there' tool I continually wish for.

I'd assumed there was such a weapon early on when I found some .308 rounds with no weapon for them. Got excited when I found one, only to note it was almost completely shot. Finally got a nice, fully functional one (with a name...Reservist Rifle) and I'd been corralling as much ammo for it as I could, so I got to give it a nice breaking in when I snuck up on a hill beside a raider encampment. Heheh. They never saw it coming, especially the one with the missile launcher, who earned my first round.

With GECK coming, I'm hoping for a silenced version. Or maybe a scoped hunting rifle.

SUBMAN1
12-01-08, 10:17 AM
...I know child killing is done but has some graphical glitches. I don't have any graphical glitches. Sounds like a driver update could fix this for you since it may not be the software.

Evil isn't truelly evil in this game which sucks. Problem is when you go above the level cap as an evil character it crashes. :nope: Quite cheating and then it won't crash! I can't believe you are complaining about this. If you are operating outside of a software programs normal parameters, then expect problems! Duh! :p Don't ever complain about this type of thing again please. Thanks.

As for being evil, explain the diff between the original Fallout out this one when it comes to your alignment. I am playing a good character. Become a vampire if you want to be evil. I'm sure everyone will hate you then.

And it looks like some working ICBM's still exist in game so if you feel like nuking DC one more time, that may be possible. Is that evil enough for you? I have the launch codes now.

Can't wait till nudity is back then the fallout world will be complete. :hmm: The Geck I'm sure will solve this for you.

What I gather from your post, it is pretty hallarious that you started playing the game looking for something to rag on it about, yet you found nothing! :D

Go buy it already and start contributing to the thread! :up:

-S

Dowly
12-01-08, 10:39 AM
Isnt there already nudity modded? I'm sure I saw some armor for the raiders where the female's boobs were hanging out. :hmm: MMmmmm... boobies...

SUBMAN1
12-01-08, 11:30 AM
Isnt there already nudity modded? I'm sure I saw some armor for the raiders where the female's boobs were hanging out. :hmm: MMmmmm... boobies...Watch it! There may be chloroform in those boobi's!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=145003

-S

Wolfehunter
12-01-08, 11:51 AM
Isnt there already nudity modded? I'm sure I saw some armor for the raiders where the female's boobs were hanging out. :hmm: MMmmmm... boobies...Watch it! There may be chloroform in those boobi's!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=145003

-SI'll buy it when I feel its worth the investment. I saw the few partial nude mods not very promising yet. But time will fix this.

I'll tune in to the beth and NMA site for updates. When I see something major that reflects my interests then I will get the game not before. Its still to early for buying FO3 with all the bugs.

For the child mod killer graphic glitch isn't from graphic drivers. Its from the fact that child meshs and animations don't have the dismemberment feature like adults bodies do. Modders are working on it. I think their hoping that GECK will make it easier for them to do it.

Vampires in Fallout? I've herd of that. Kinda alittle too much Oblivion for me for a fallout series.:hmm:

Every game I own I operate out of its programing limitations. That is normal. Why mod then? Point is you like the game as is. I don't. I want better. Time will provide it maybe... Either or no loss for me. I'll focus on other games that gives me my fix lol.

NeonSamurai
12-01-08, 12:37 PM
*POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT*

As far as I know you can't become a vampire just learn how to get some health from blood packs.

As for evil, I dunno, my character has been pretty evil. He has killed most of the wandering traders (most favorite way is the bomb in the pants routine), for megaton he went around and massacred the entire village, then nuked it for good measure. He has wiped out most other villages he has encountered, and enslaved a bunch of different people, though he has spared tenpenny tower and rivet city, but only for supply reasons (though he is stockpiling so he can eventually be independent). His favorite ways of causing suffering are the bomb in the pants gag, shooting people in the leg with the dart gun and watching them run around till the poison gets them, and setting them on fire. Quest wise though there isnt much.

Btw I wouldn't call raising the level cap cheating per say, just modding :)

Oh and unfortunatly I don't think the launch codes work. My guy went to one of the main nuke places (nuking everyone appealed to him), he found a massive storage area for big boy type bombs (with about 30 or 40 shiny glistening bombs on the racks which made him drool and wish he could take them home, or for a working fueled bomber), and launch codes and the launch bunker but nothing to launch with. But who knows maybe somewhere out there there is another nuke or more which he can detonate.

As another topic I wana mention that at level 20 you can in fact cap most of your skills at 100 if you put 9 inteligence at the start then immediatly get the inteligence bobble head (and get all the others later on, plus skill books). A lot of the perks are not worth getting also, and you can fit most of the great must have perks into one character fairly easily. I especialy suggest avoiding any of the ones that give a slight skill boost (+5 in 2 skills) (educated is realy good though if you get it immediatly, it will net 48 skill points). Also I would add that i think lawbringer and especialy contract killer sucks, the money you get is pathetic, the karma is irrelevant (you'll probably be maxed out either way by the time you get the perk), and for contract killer there are virtualy no good characters other then a few in the towns, and those guys who hunt you.

My character is a virtual god at level 16. He has maxed out energy, big, and small guns, sneak, lockpicking, melee weapons, repair, and unarmed. the rest of his skills are at 50-80 and he will probably cap most of those too considering he gains 23 skill points per level. His stats are 8 8 7 6 10 10 8. His perks are the ones that maximised his stats, and the rest turn him into a leathal weapon in and out of VATS. This was also all gained legitimately, no cheats or mods used.

Tachyon
12-01-08, 07:30 PM
If you ask me, the Perk that sucks the most is Computer Whiz. According to the description, it says that you can hack a terminal again if you failed the first time. What it didn't mention is that you can only hack it for a maximum of two tries. :P

Would have been worth it if it let you attempt to hack the terminal infinitely.

***SPOILER ALERT***

For evil characters

Fire and Wood don't go hand in hand. Visit the Oasis today for more Information. Where is the Oasis? Try searching the middle-north of the map.

Thanks for listening, Children. This is Three-dog, aooooooo!!!

Wolfehunter
12-01-08, 08:26 PM
If you ask me, the Perk that sucks the most is Computer Whiz. According to the description, it says that you can hack a terminal again if you failed the first time. What it didn't mention is that you can only hack it for a maximum of two tries. :P

Would have been worth it if it let you attempt to hack the terminal infinitely.

***SPOILER ALERT***

For evil characters

Fire and Wood don't go hand in hand. Visit the Oasis today for more Information. Where is the Oasis? Try searching the middle-north of the map.

Thanks for listening, Children. This is Three-dog, aooooooo!!!
Spoiler alert two!
You mean burn bob and harold into a toothpick... yes I did and roasted radiated crispy dogs on the side.:rock: Tunnel snakes rules. :rotfl:

I agree with you NeanSamurai. Nothing wrong with modded level cap.:up:

Tachyon
12-02-08, 02:41 AM
Greetings Sweet Subsim,

This is your President... John Henry Tachyon. It's time we discussed something of the utmost importance... your companion.

Which companion kicked a lot of asses for you?

My pick is Fawkes and her Unlimited-ammunition Gatling Laser, and er...Dogmeat for providing distractions and eating Radroaches.

NeonSamurai
12-02-08, 10:15 AM
Companion.. COMPANION?!?! I DON'T NEED NO STEENKING COMPANION!!!

Seriously though, never bothered or needed one, and I suspect they would get in the way since my main character is a stealth type. I've always been the solo type, even in games which force teammates on you like Swat 3 I often tell the bots to go stand in the corner and do the level myself.

SUBMAN1
12-03-08, 08:48 AM
Greetings Sweet Subsim,

This is your President... John Henry Tachyon. It's time we discussed something of the utmost importance... your companion.

My pick is Fawkes and her Unlimited-ammunition Gatling Laser, and er...Dogmeat for providing distractions and eating Radroaches.Is Fawkes the chick with Power Armor? I gave her a laser rifle so far and an Enclave helmet.

-S

Tachyon
12-03-08, 02:28 PM
Greetings Sweet Subsim,

My pick is Fawkes and her Unlimited-ammunition Gatling Laser, and er...Dogmeat for providing distractions and eating Radroaches.Is Fawkes the chick with Power Armor? I gave her a laser rifle so far and an Enclave helmet.

-S

No, she's a super mutant.

fatty
12-04-08, 12:56 PM
Fawkes is great, his dialogue is good for some comic relief and he seems pretty powerful. I can usually let him go and do his thing. Dogmeat, on the other hand, is useful for hunting for junk (although I only used this ability once). Beyond that he just wanders off and dies.

Tachyon
12-04-08, 03:29 PM
Fawkes is great, his dialogue is good for some comic relief and he seems pretty powerful. I can usually let him go and do his thing. Dogmeat, on the other hand, is useful for hunting for junk (although I only used this ability once). Beyond that he just wanders off and dies.

Actually, he's a She.

SUBMAN1
12-12-08, 11:20 PM
The Capitol from on top of the National Monument:

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/3328/screenshot6xa0.jpg

SUBMAN1
12-12-08, 11:23 PM
It is proven! Aliens can't drive!

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8967/screenshot7jq9.jpg

On the ground down there next to the alien is the most powerful gun in the entire game - the alien blaster.
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/4049/screenshot8ia5.jpg

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7238/screenshot9ma0.jpg

SUBMAN1
12-12-08, 11:28 PM
Of the 4 different types of power armor you can have in game, here are the very best versions. This is a screenshot from in my house. Tesla armor on the left that has 53 points of protection, and T51B on the right that has 60 points of protection. Weapons carried are a highly modified plasma rifle (not a normal plasma rifle) on the left, and a Gatling laser on the right (That is the backpack).

The T51B has no negatives and has +1 Charisma.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6647/screenshot10us6.jpg

NeonSamurai
12-13-08, 09:28 AM
That will learn ET not to wear his seat belt.

Isn't there a problem though with using the T51B in that it can't be repaired normally, and if you can't then you can only get it repaired up to half strength through the vendors.

Tachyon
12-13-08, 10:57 AM
There is only armour that can repair the T-51B . It's called the "Prototype Medic armour" (I call it Lol armour because the suit has an in-built computer voice that spews hilarious battle-cries).

Best way to fix the T-51B fully is to fully invest in the caravans in Canterbury Commons. They can bring it up to almost near perfect condition.

And regarding that UFO, well you always find it one place. But as I mentioned in a previous post, sometimes you can spot strange lights in the sky at night (Random) , and you often find Alien power cells on the floor in the vicinity of those lights.

Captain Vlad
12-13-08, 12:46 PM
Investing in the caravans helps out tremendously. You can generally find one of those guys if you know where to look, and that saves me from having to run back to Megaton anytime I run short of 'donations' to keep my gear in good shape.

Having an odd crash, tho, the only problem with the game I've found so far. I start picking up 'People's Republic of America' and the game locks soon after. I turned the radio on, so I'll have to check and see if it happens even with it off.

SUBMAN1
12-13-08, 01:08 PM
There is a guy that can repair it to near perfect from one of the caravans. He can get it over 90%, and is good for repairing gatling lasers too.

The trick I use however is you notice I am wearing Tesla armor. I can find Enclave dead to repair that. The T51B however is worn by my Brotherhood friend there and when it is worn by NPC's, it never degrades - ever! :D So imagine a fully functional gatling laser and T51B unstobbable friend as backup? Works good. Ran into a Behomoth Super Mutant and he was pounding the crap out of my the Brotherhood chick there, but the friend still took it down and walked away. Leaves me to do whatever I want knowing that she can take care of all the baddies if I choose not to fight.

Of course, she is not invincible, so if she has to go up against more than one or two foes, or has to take on a Behemoth for example, I have to lend a hand. My A-21's special modified plasma rifle and her Gatling laser take care of most things quickly.

-S

PS. I need to find that Alien ammo. That will make me unstoppable. Thanks for the tip with the alien lights. I'll be looking for them now!

Tachyon
12-13-08, 03:34 PM
I've only seen one Super Mutant Behemoth so far. And that was outside the GNR building (Scripted event with the Fatman launcher). Maybe I'm just unlucky?

darius359au
12-13-08, 05:33 PM
Ive run across 2 of them , one was the GNR and the other one was at Evergreen Mill's - that ones in a cage though , so after I'd sniped all the raiders with the Dart gun I fired a bunch of missiles and Mini Nukes at it while it was trapped ;):D

SUBMAN1
12-14-08, 01:15 AM
Ive run across 2 of them , one was the GNR and the other one was at Evergreen Mill's - that ones in a cage though , so after I'd sniped all the raiders with the Dart gun I fired a bunch of missiles and Mini Nukes at it while it was trapped ;):D3 or 4 for me. I clearly remember 3, but it might have been more. They don't bother me much now. One in Evergreen Mills I think, one outside of GNR, and one in the capitol, and I think there is one somewhere else. They are not much trouble for me anymore and I was busy looting stuff during the GNR encounter instead of fighting it much, if that tells you anything. Until it started beating up on my brotherhood tag along that is. Then i took it out.

Found a new weapon in some lair for Death Claws - found a gatling laser called Vengence! Thought the other Gatling laser was strong? Vengence probably does 200 points of damage for someone who is skilled in Heavy weapons! That is better than my alien blaster and it can keep on dishing it out too!

-S

Tachyon
12-14-08, 02:11 AM
Ive run across 2 of them , one was the GNR and the other one was at Evergreen Mill's - that ones in a cage though , so after I'd sniped all the raiders with the Dart gun I fired a bunch of missiles and Mini Nukes at it while it was trapped ;):D3 or 4 for me. I clearly remember 3, but it might have been more. They don't bother me much now. One in Evergreen Mills I think, one outside of GNR, and one in the capitol, and I think there is one somewhere else. They are not much trouble for me anymore and I was busy looting stuff during the GNR encounter instead of fighting it much, if that tells you anything. Until it started beating up on my brotherhood tag along that is. Then i took it out.

Found a new weapon in some lair for Death Claws - found a gatling laser called Vengence! Thought the other Gatling laser was strong? Vengence probably does 200 points of damage for someone who is skilled in Heavy weapons! That is better than my alien blaster and it can keep on dishing it out too!

-S

True, Vengeance is very powerful. But the Alien blaster has a 50-80% chance of causing criticals worth 350+ points of damage. So it's still the most powerful gun in the game. And yes, I'm not kidding...the blaster is very good at causing criticals.

SUBMAN1
12-14-08, 01:37 PM
True, Vengeance is very powerful. But the Alien blaster has a 50-80% chance of causing criticals worth 350+ points of damage. So it's still the most powerful gun in the game. And yes, I'm not kidding...the blaster is very good at causing criticals.

This is why I'm near the end of the game mentally with me. I'm running around wearing Tesla armor, carrying A3-21's modified plasma rifle and an alien blaster, Shishkebob, 35K caps in the pocket, and a sidekick wearing T51B armor packing Vengence and a Shishkebob too. Oh, and I'm level 20 and I have all the bobbleheads.

Whats left?

-S

NeonSamurai
12-14-08, 05:06 PM
Ya I kinda reached a similar point a couple of weeks ago. My guy has all the bobble heads, a 100% repaired version of most of the weapons and armor, millions of ammo rounds for the guns, enough crap to make 40 of each of the custom weapons, enough food to feed an army, and about 200k caps.

One day ill play the good version of him which i saved before murdering everyone in megaton then nuking the place.

SUBMAN1
12-14-08, 09:55 PM
Some additional interesting things I've found.

Arlington Cemetery:
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/7995/screenshot12bh0.jpg

Life among the wastes? Living breathing life! Trees, birds singing, running water, you name it:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3343/screenshot15vs8.jpg

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/8531/screenshot16ii6.jpg

Overboard
12-15-08, 11:24 PM
Time to move on.. to a new game, FO3 is now old hat !!! :damn:

Overboard
12-15-08, 11:43 PM
OK Starting To Suck......., (Time to move along) :shifty:

SUBMAN1
12-15-08, 11:50 PM
Time to move on.. to a new game, FO3 is now old hat !!! :damn:I would, but there is still a sense of one more thing. Like for example, I am after a personal MIRV right now! I need to try that before I move on! I wonder how many nukes it lets go at once?

And i now have access to the launch computer for a fully operational nuke. I just need coords! I wonder where the Enclave is after I destroyed the president? I could nuke them!

So not only do I have access to a fully operational ICBM, I will also have a personal portable MIRV nuke launcher to boot!

Then i may be done.

-S

Kapitan_Phillips
12-16-08, 01:38 AM
So not only do I have access to a fully operational ICBM, I will also have a personal portable MIRV nuke launcher to boot!

-S

More terrifying words have never graced my computer screen, Subman :88)

Wolfehunter
12-16-08, 10:32 PM
Subman

Press the ~ key

type commands,

tfc = free camera view , make sure you in 3rd person view.

tm = no menus etc.

Press ~ to close command

Use the WASD keys to move around and get a nicer screenshots.

Redo the commands to restore it back to normal.

like this,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff110/WolfeXhunter/ScreenShot7.jpg

:up:

kiwi_2005
01-17-09, 11:46 PM
Anyone tried their skills in the G.E.C.K editor? Just downloaded it, im not after map making im more into making major changes to my character just for fun. Anyone created their own personal mod etc.,?

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Main_Page

Reno
01-19-09, 11:36 AM
I picked up Fallout 3 when it first came out and was hugely disappointed. It kept crashing right after the opening sequence. I put it away thinking that eventually someone would come up with a fix. This thread made me try again. By process of elimination I removed nHancer and now everything works fine. So if you're using nHancer with an 8800GTX give this a try. Haven't had a crash since. Great game.

kiwi_2005
01-19-09, 11:56 AM
Yer ive just gone back to it after putting it down about a week after it came out, now with patched and most bugs outta the way im back playing it. I must say this is one of the best rpgs ive played for a long time. Its even gotten me of WoW which is good. :yep:

papa_smurf
01-19-09, 03:36 PM
Loving FO3, been only playing for bout 30 hrs (game time). Had a few problems with it crashing when I first got it, but now sorted thanks to the FO3 community. I've nearly finished the main quest, but that's on the back burner as I have decided to go and explore the surrounding areas. Should not be a problem as im running around in Enclave Power armour, and I've got Chraon with me who's in the T-5b1 experimental armour:arrgh!:.

kiwi_2005
01-20-09, 09:19 AM
This will be old news to most: A quick way of getting a sniper rifle in the start.

Go out of the main gate of Megaton and turn left, following the wall of the city around to the back. There are a few Giant moles so kill them. There is a large rock with a big branch sticking out behind it. Click that and inside is a Sniper Rifle, some ammo and a stealthboy which if sold will net you some nice Caps.

NeonSamurai
01-20-09, 11:48 PM
I'll take a look at GECK over the weekend, though i dunno if I'm gona mess with the skills much, more likely I'm going to tweak the weapons and armor (add some new stuff like a 5.56 bolt action rifle, maybe a semi auto rifle or 2, a lower caliber sniper rifle, maybe some armor changes), ill also probably cut back on how fast stuff wears out and even it out some. Most of what I would do would be code changes though since im not a modeler. Once some serious mods come out i'll probably roll them together with my own changes.

You know I gotta say I never much bothered with the sniper rifle, ammo is too expensive and uncommon. I've got both kinds "at home" (the generic and the unique) but I never bother with them, prefering ol' painless instead (cheap common ammo, comperable damage, low wear).

Tachyon
01-31-09, 02:36 PM
So, I just finished the Fallout 3 DLC titled "Operation Anchorage" . Well, it was pretty much disappointing to be honest. There's not much to do, it was over way too quickly and since my character was already level 20 , it was a cinch.

The only good thing about it was the beautiful Alaskan scenery and the ability to select and lead a squad of soldiers on some missions. Believe me, if this wasn't an expansion to Fallout 3, it might have been easily mistaken for Half-Life 2.

The rewards weren't that good either. Oh well... maybe Bethesda will do better with the next DLC.

papa_smurf
02-01-09, 09:03 AM
So, I just finished the Fallout 3 DLC titled "Operation Anchorage" . Well, it was pretty much disappointing to be honest. There's not much to do, it was over way too quickly and since my character was already level 20 , it was a cinch.

The only good thing about it was the beautiful Alaskan scenery and the ability to select and lead a squad of soldiers on some missions. Believe me, if this wasn't an expansion to Fallout 3, it might have been easily mistaken for Half-Life 2.

The rewards weren't that good either. Oh well... maybe Bethesda will do better with the next DLC.

Been reading various reviews about this DLC, and many agreed that it was too short. So I might bypass this and see if the next 2 are better.

Captain Vlad
02-01-09, 11:23 AM
More likely I'm going to tweak the weapons and armor (add some new stuff like a 5.56 bolt action rifle, maybe a semi auto rifle or 2, a lower caliber sniper rifle, maybe some armor changes)
The 5.56mm hunting rifle is a great idea. What kind of 'Hunting Rifle' using .32 ACP anyway?

SUBMAN1
02-01-09, 11:52 AM

-S
More terrifying words have never graced my computer screen, Subman :88)What are your coordinates again? :D

-S

darius359au
02-01-09, 04:48 PM
More likely I'm going to tweak the weapons and armor (add some new stuff like a 5.56 bolt action rifle, maybe a semi auto rifle or 2, a lower caliber sniper rifle, maybe some armor changes)
The 5.56mm hunting rifle is a great idea. What kind of 'Hunting Rifle' using .32 ACP anyway?

Theres a weapon mod at fallout nexus called the Valhalla Rifle that includes a 5.56 rifle called the Imported Rifle http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=439

Its a nice little rifle that uses a completely new model plus there's some nice skins too http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=751

AVGWarhawk
12-28-09, 08:37 AM
Bringing up an older thread because I got the GOTY edition for Fallout 3. This game is very very cool to play. What a cool concept put to a game environment. For folks like me who like adventure type games this is a must have.

However, I hate the friggin feral ghouls in the sewers/subways. :down:

NeonSamurai
12-28-09, 10:00 AM
Wait till you meet the super mutants :D

AVGWarhawk
12-28-09, 10:28 AM
I did met those nasty buggers also. I hate walking the sewers and tunnels. You hear the nasty dwellers around the corner. If you have a active imagination like me and your mind wanders like mine this game plays tricks on you. I do like the sneek attack and the one head shot on those nasty sewer dwellers. The Super Duper mart was a cool place to investigate. I have made it to the Falls Church Metro. I have a lot more to investigate. I can see playing this game for months on end.

d@rk51d3
12-28-09, 03:01 PM
If you nuke Megaton, then help the "friendly" ghouls massacre tenpenny tower (get into the basement out back, and blow up a generator to open the door), the leader gives you a "ghoul mask".

When you wear this, the ferals won't touch you.:cool:

AVGWarhawk
12-28-09, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the tip! No more though, I want to find them myself. Right now I'm playing a good character. My second go around I will play a very bad character. :D

Arclight
12-29-09, 08:26 AM
If you nuke Megaton, then help the "friendly" ghouls massacre tenpenny tower (get into the basement out back, and blow up a generator to open the door), the leader gives you a "ghoul mask".

When you wear this, the ferals won't touch you.:cool:
I already have a shotgun that makes sure they don't touch me. :D

*oh and mines, lots of mines. :yep:

AVGWarhawk
12-29-09, 01:48 PM
The mods for this game are plentiful and look to be outstanding. I will continue with vanilla then try one of the very large packs offered.

mookiemookie
12-29-09, 01:52 PM
Did you find Dogmeat yet?

conus00
12-29-09, 02:51 PM
The mods for this game are plentiful and look to be outstanding. I will continue with vanilla then try one of the very large packs offered.

The best source of the Fallout 3 MODs: http://www.fallout3nexus.com
You have to register but it is definitely worth it!

I personally play Fallout 3 with additional 1.3 GB (!) of MODs. The experience is unmatched.

AVGWarhawk
12-29-09, 03:10 PM
The best source of the Fallout 3 MODs: http://www.fallout3nexus.com
You have to register but it is definitely worth it!

I personally play Fallout 3 with additional 1.3 GB (!) of MODs. The experience is unmatched.

I have seen this site and will check it out when I have complete the vanilla version. :up:

LiveGoat
12-29-09, 07:59 PM
I heartily recommend checking out Fallout Wanderers Edition. A fine mod that really brings out the survivalist in you.

AVGWarhawk
12-30-09, 08:26 AM
I heartily recommend checking out Fallout Wanderers Edition. A fine mod that really brings out the survivalist in you.

I was looking at this particular mod. Last night I played a better part of 2 hours. I got some better weapons and scowered the landscape quite a bit. A nice sawed off shotgun close range to the head works wonders. :D

NeonSamurai
12-30-09, 09:39 AM
My personal favorite gun has always been the .32 rifle, especially early on. Good range accuracy and damage, cheap and somewhat common ammo, fairly easy to find early on, and low degradation.

Oh ya and a hot tip for making lots of caps, invest a lot into your repair skill. You don't loose any cash when repairing stuff (merging items) unless you fully repair it (then you loose the extra). So keeping and repairing all the suits of armor and weapons lets you carry more (instead of 12 badly damaged raider armor, you have 1 suit of near perfect armor worth the same).

AVGWarhawk
12-30-09, 12:32 PM
Yes, the .32 hunting rifle has been my mainstay for a while. Currently I have the scoped .44, war shotgun, sawed off shotgun, some type of flame thrower I have not used yet. I need something strong for those stupid glowing ghouls in the tunnels. I hate those friggin ghouls. :nope: I dispatch 5 regular ghouls with my Chinese sword:up: The .44 is great for taking heads clean off. That is were the slow motion of VATS comes in handy! :D I'm working on my skills. I really need to work on computer hacking skills. Other that I still have a lot to explore. I have not touched the other new maps. The game is quite expansive with maps and things to do. I'm really enjoying the hell out of it.

NeonSamurai
12-30-09, 01:27 PM
I would sell off the sawed off if you have the combat shotgun.

My suggestions for skills are repair (caps and better stats from your gear), your main weapon type (firearms?), stealth, and lock picking (computer hacking is less useful). I would also suggest that you do the Operation Anchorage mission to get the Chinese stealth suit and other goodies. Combat shotgun sneak attack at close range is very very evil.

By level 30 though with careful planning you can max out almost all your skills and get 10's in all stats.

Takeda Shingen
12-30-09, 03:20 PM
It will come as a shock to some, but I recently crossed over to the dark side and bought the GOTY edition. Currently playing a neutral karma character. Have completed The Pitt and am currently in Point Lookout.

My favorite gun has got to be Perforator. Silenced, good accuracy and penty of stopping power without being an ammunition hog. Combined with the Superior Defender and Ghoul Ecology perks, it is a tour-de-force.

Careful about using that .44 too often. The ammo is hard to come by. I would also agree with Neon; develop your repair skills early. Keeping your weapons in good conditioin is critical.

AVGWarhawk
12-30-09, 03:44 PM
It is a great game Tak! I use the .44 for special pains in the arse. For instance I head shot a wander and then proceeded to lob frag grenades at her buddies. It was cute because I climbed a large rock formation and lobbed the grenades down on their head. :D The head shot with the .44 was shall we say, sweet! :D It was this group of baddies that I got the flamer, war shotgun and machine pistol I think. :hmmm: I do work on my stealth. That was the first thing I worked on and keep added to. I do keep my gear in good shape. I had a gun stop working in the middle of a fight. Not a good thing if it is a super mutant. :o I do like the sawed off shotgun specifially last night when I went into a electrical shop and three baddies were in there. I blasted all of their head off. Messy but hey, I got some good stuff out of that building. :yeah: I'm playing a good karma character but it is getting harder and harder. Sometimes I just want to waste some of the annoying characters in the game. Next character I going to play very evil. :D

AVGWarhawk
12-30-09, 03:48 PM
I forgot Tak, check out everything. Even mailboxes. These usually contain something of use. Burned out houses sometimes have some goodies. I learned to check out everything!

Takeda Shingen
12-30-09, 04:33 PM
Yep, mailboxes are good. So are desks. Lots of caps in desks. Lots of chems too. They're always good for bartering, as they have zero weight. That's one of the big reasons that I like to hit up raiders.

Speaking of which, you should make your way over to Evergreen Mills. Lots of stuff there. Be prepared for a fight, though.

AVGWarhawk
12-30-09, 04:43 PM
I have not been there yet. I forget the name of the bed and breakfast I hit last night but yeah, I had to fight. This is were the .44 came in handy and then I got smart climbing a rock outcrop thus being able to lob frag grenades on two other raiders. I had three down. Then came a raider with a flamer (flame thrower) I dispatched him with the machine gun I got off the freshly killed raider. I also got the war shotgun at this point from another freshy killed raider. Then a damn feral dog showed up and I dispatched his bony butt. About 50 yards off was a chick in a house blasting at me. She got the .44 as well to the skull. There was one last crackhead in the house and he bought the farm with the new acquired war shotgun. :D Yeah, they did not see me coming from that rock outcrop. :03: Nice haul none the less. New weapons and XP points. I met a few wandering traders. Did a barter or two. Found vault 112 I think the number was. I'm thinking of finding a house and use it to stash some things and a place to sleep.

This game, if you like adventure and have an active imagination, is just great and entertaining.

Takeda Shingen
12-30-09, 05:12 PM
Kaelynn's bed and breakfast. I ran across the place on my way to the Pitt. All I had at the time was that 10mm pistol that Amata gave me and three grenades that I had found in Silverdale. It was a tight one, but I made it through.

Careful about hiding things in public places. They may not be there when you get back.

AVGWarhawk
12-30-09, 08:53 PM
I find that using an old trailer van is a good spot to keep things.

AVGWarhawk
12-30-09, 10:03 PM
I got squashed by a super mega mutant. I was busy beating his leg with my shotgun. The friggin guy is huge. Have you run into him yet?

Takeda Shingen
12-30-09, 10:11 PM
A behemoth? Yeah, they're nasty. He showed up when I tried to take his teddy bear. Thank god I had that missile launcher I picked up off a dead Outcast. There's more than one as well.

Right now I'm knee-deep in swamp folk, settling a score between some British ghoul and a brain in a jar. There had damn well better be something good at the end of this. I've burned through an army's worth of 533mm ammo and frag mines trying to cut down these hillbilles.

Méo
12-31-09, 02:53 AM
A behemoth? Yeah, they're nasty. He showed up when I tried to take his teddy bear.

Surprising the first time hen!!

Second time I did sprinkle a lot of bottlecap mine, he never made his way to me. :DL

Speaking about weapons, I did prefer the Lincoln's Repeater but used a weaker weapon on weaker enemies.

If you want precise stats on weapons: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_weapons

Arclight
12-31-09, 06:38 AM
Fat Man is nice to have against Behemoths, kind of heavy though. :hmmm:

Takeda Shingen
12-31-09, 08:25 AM
I was very lucky against that behemoth, as I do not usually carry a heavy weapon due to the fact that they are, well, heavy. Leaves more room for loot.

The Fat Man is awesome, but it weighs a ton. It's only really good from a considerable distance, and you can just forget about it if there are friendlies around.

I love those add-on weapons. My primary is the afforementioned Perferator, but I also use Point Lookout's Backwater Rifle (the same model as Lincoln's Repeater, but uses 10mm ammo), and The Pitt's Wild Bill's Sidearm; a unique .32 cal pistol for the light stuff. As you can tell, I'm a small guns guy.

AVGWarhawk
12-31-09, 08:33 AM
Yeah, it was the behemouth. Geez, the guy clobbered me. I was not ready for him. I just killed two super mutants and thought the coast was clear. I did see a teddy bear but did not pick it up. Next thing I know I got a nail board to the back of the head. I did get a perk where any enemy will explode on a critical hit and also provides 5% more damage with each hit. I whacked two raiders and there was body parts everywhere! :D

Rocket launcher, I just sold on to the wench at Megatron! The combat shotgun is just awesome. If you can find one take it at all costs.

Arclight
12-31-09, 09:21 AM
As you can tell, I'm a small guns guy.
Me too, though on my most recent playthrough I went for energy weapons as well. Thought that Plasma rifle would be good, but not so much. :(

1. .32 revolver for roach-control (lighter than 10mm pistol)
2. Chinese AR
3. Combat shotgun
4. Laser rifle
5. Scoped .44 for non-vats stealth-kills
6. Sniper rifle
7. 6x frag mine
8. 4x frag grenade

That's my default equipment, plus the occasional pulse grenade/mine if I need to deal with robots, or a bottlecap mine or two just in case.

AVGWarhawk
12-31-09, 10:06 AM
Two mods that I will probably use and make things more realistic. Life a bit tougher. A mod that requires you to sleep and eat. Removal of the fast travel function. Nothing like having to slug it out on the way to another spot.

Dowly
12-31-09, 10:09 AM
Mods made me quit F3. I downloaded one of the nude mods and I couldnt get any progress done, I just stripped my char nekkid and kept watching her virtual boobies for 2hrs, then saved and went t o change my pants, then loaded the game and started staring again. :-?

mookiemookie
12-31-09, 12:13 PM
EDIT: Nevermind. User error code: ID10T ;)

AVGWarhawk
12-31-09, 12:21 PM
Mods made me quit F3. I downloaded one of the nude mods and I couldnt get any progress done, I just stripped my char nekkid and kept watching her virtual boobies for 2hrs, then saved and went t o change my pants, then loaded the game and started staring again. :-?

You need help bro! :har: It is a pixel breast for crying out loud! :har:

AVGWarhawk
12-31-09, 12:25 PM
Maybe somebody can help me out here. I have the Steam version of Fallout 3, but I have the physical DVDs of the expansions (op anchorage, pitt, point lookout and broken steel). I cannot install the expansions. It keeps telling me "Cannot find your Fallout 3 installation" when I put one of the DVDs in.

I know this has something to do with the fact that Steam installs stuff to its own folder, but I've had no luck finding advice on how to make this work.

You might have to go to the launcher and check off each box for each expansion. I had to do that for the GOTY edition. The second disc did not look like it was installing. I had no install wizard pop up yet the hard drive was working. After about 5 minutes the games said it intalled successfully. Weird. Anyway, I had to start the game on the opening interface theres a selection for the launcher. Click on that and see if it shows the DLC by name. If so, click each box for each map.

AVGWarhawk
01-04-10, 01:49 PM
I went over to Point Look out. Dad will just have to wait for now. :03: I hate the swamp ghoals. I just hate the ghoals in general. :nope: Noting like reaching into a Super Mutants gore bag for caps and ammo. I do not take the mutilated arms or legs though. :o

NeonSamurai
01-04-10, 02:28 PM
You need help bro! :har: It is a pixel breast for crying out loud! :har:

Dowly obviously missed some of the newer mods, more pornographic now :|\\:zzz:

Takeda Shingen
01-07-10, 05:45 PM
I went over to Point Look out. Dad will just have to wait for now. :03: I hate the swamp ghoals. I just hate the ghoals in general. :nope: Noting like reaching into a Super Mutants gore bag for caps and ammo. I do not take the mutilated arms or legs though. :o

Point Lookout is probably the best of the expansions, although I am fond of The Pitt as well. Watch out for the Swampfolk. Them's nasty.

Ducimus
01-07-10, 07:40 PM
As mods go, apparently this is THE big supermod:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4448

Follow the links, the D/L is 1 GIG in size. Having read up on it and watched some youtube clips, i'm not sure i like it. I get the impression its changing FO3 more into a FPS and less of an RPG.

THIS mod:
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2672

Is really cool, and id recommend giving it a try.

I have been compiling a mod mix of my own, for my own consumption, and not really as a public works mod; but i'll upload it for folks here if enough are interested. Basically, ive been compiling everything i can find that makes FO3 more to cannon. Mostly things that could be called, "classic". From the 10MM pistol, to the combat shotgun, to combat armor, advanced power armor, plasma rifle/pistol, music, GUI, splash screen art, etc.

On top of that, i found a mod that adds weight to ammo and medical supplies. This is KEY in my opinion. Bunch of other tweaks too. I was messing around with some modding tools for FO3 and compiled about im guessing 10 mods or so into a single JSGME plugin with a single ESP file instead of umpteen ESP's.

AVGWarhawk
01-07-10, 08:42 PM
Hey Ducimus I did not know you played FO3. I got it for Christmas and it is a lot of fun. I want to play vanilla of course and then try a mod.

Tak,

Yeah them swamp folk are nasty. They do explode real good though :D

Ducimus
01-07-10, 09:22 PM
>>did not know you played FO3

Well, i wasn't up until last week. But ive played FO3 off and on for awhile now. I've play alot of different games, and my interests can vary from month to month, I just don't talk about it is all. I guess everyone assumes im all submarine sim all the time.

FO3 vanilla isn't bad. Frankly in my own tweakings, i don't stray too far from the originial game. I use the GECK (FO3 editor) just to tweak minor things that annoy me or disagree with. Things like

- the passage of time. Day goes by entirely too fast
- armor and weapons degrade entirely too fast

Just minor global variables.

Ducimus
01-07-10, 11:58 PM
AVG, here's a mod you might be interested in.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3808

Similar in vain to websters GFO, called the "unofficial FO3 patch". You should see the change log, its really extensive and detailed.

It also occurs to me that since i decided to go back to FO3 (monday), ive been messing around with mods and haven't done ANY gaming yet. I think im just gonna use this unofficial patch and get to playing. Screw modding.

AVGWarhawk
01-08-10, 11:36 AM
Hey, cool. Looks like it has it's own installer, correct? Last night I stumbled around Point Lookout some more. I got the book the old man wanted. I was going to give the book to the wench in the tent but she was killed by three thieves that I subsequently had to dispatch. That was fun with the double barrelled shotgun. So, I was advised by the tape left behind by the women to take the darn book somewhere. The old man is not supposed to get it. I might just dangle it in front of him and see what he does.

Takeda Shingen
01-08-10, 06:10 PM
Hey, cool. Looks like it has it's own installer, correct? Last night I stumbled around Point Lookout some more. I got the book the old man wanted. I was going to give the book to the wench in the tent but she was killed by three thieves that I subsequently had to dispatch. That was fun with the double barrelled shotgun. So, I was advised by the tape left behind by the women to take the darn book somewhere. The old man is not supposed to get it. I might just dangle it in front of him and see what he does.

I'd tell you what I do, but I don't want to hit you with a spoiler.

AVGWarhawk
01-11-10, 09:03 AM
I gave the old man the book. I got a few caps. Other than that I ran into a military camp. For all the battling I had to do one would thing some great goodies would be found. :hmmm:

Takeda Shingen
01-11-10, 05:01 PM
I gave the old man the book. I got a few caps. Other than that I ran into a military camp. For all the battling I had to do one would thing some great goodies would be found. :hmmm:

There are a lot of goodies. Lots of good perks too. You've got to do some other quests. Check out the motel.

I gave the old guy the book, then I shot him and took it back. Then I took the book to the Dunwich Building. The guy was evil anyway. The way I see it, he got what he deserved, the book was destroyed and I got some caps. Everybody's happy; except Obediah Blackhall, but who cares?

AVGWarhawk
01-11-10, 08:56 PM
There are a lot of goodies. Lots of good perks too. You've got to do some other quests. Check out the motel.

I gave the old guy the book, then I shot him and took it back. Then I took the book to the Dunwich Building. The guy was evil anyway. The way I see it, he got what he deserved, the book was destroyed and I got some caps. Everybody's happy; except Obediah Blackhall, but who cares?

Hehe. Know what, the guy at Calvert Manshion is an arse also. I was thinking of popping him also.

Takeda Shingen
01-12-10, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I put Desmond out of his ghoulish misery. I waited until I got what I wanted, then shot him when his back was turned. I tend to do that a lot.

AVGWarhawk
01-13-10, 02:07 PM
Remind me of that if we ever meet! Right now I'm in the mine located in Point Look Out. There is a kid living in there who wants his teddy bear back..it fell in a shaft. There is a big arse swamp ghoul looking thing who ain't taking crap from no one. Hell, I do not know if his damn bear is donw there anyway. I wish I was a mean character...I would send the kid to the bottom of the sea for the fish! The I would take his mine house for myself.

Ducimus
01-13-10, 06:30 PM
Im just now starting The Pitt. I'll get to point lookout eventually. BTW, i love this game. :D

Takeda Shingen
01-13-10, 07:56 PM
Those trogs creep me out.

mookiemookie
01-13-10, 08:50 PM
Im just now starting The Pitt. I'll get to point lookout eventually. BTW, i love this game. :D

Take your time with Point Lookout. It's tough, and those swamp hillbillys will eat your lunch for you if you don't have good weapons and armor.

KeptinCranky
01-14-10, 07:11 PM
I've done the Pitt, in an unmodded game, I found it interesting if a bit difficult at the start. Haven't done point lookout yet.

I have done the Mothership Zeta DLC, which was quite funny and got me some great loot :arrgh!:

I have now installed some mods to give myself more of a challenge and I'm glad I did.

Fallout is now a tense, terrifying experience once again, where it had lost some of it's challenge through repeated playthroughs

I highly recommend the FWE mod and the unofficial patch mentioned before in this thread. this one is also very very worthwile D.C. Interiors Project, (http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1058891)

Ducimus
01-14-10, 07:50 PM
I just completed the Pitt this morning. A bit tough in a couple spots cause the game actually makes you scavage once or twice (wish it did that more often), and had a great time with it.

The infiiltrator is a fun weapon BTW, but a bit of a letdown. Less damage then a normal assault rifle with equal spread. I quickly fired up the geck and tweaked it. I changed its damage to be greater then an assault rifle, but less then a chinese assault rifle, with a slightly better grouping then both (both have the same spread). Not overpowered, but definatley an improvement now! :yeah:

Takeda Shingen
01-14-10, 09:00 PM
I just completed the Pitt this morning. A bit tough in a couple spots cause the game actually makes you scavage once or twice (wish it did that more often), and had a great time with it.

The infiiltrator is a fun weapon BTW, but a bit of a letdown. Less damage then a normal assault rifle with equal spread. I quickly fired up the geck and tweaked it. I changed its damage to be greater then an assault rifle, but less then a chinese assault rifle, with a slightly better grouping then both (both have the same spread). Not overpowered, but definatley an improvement now! :yeah:

I use Infiltrator's big brother, Perforator. Less spread than any other assault rifle and more stopping power than a Chinese Assault Rifle. Silenced to boot. It's my weapon of choice.

Ducimus
01-14-10, 09:32 PM
Just FYI, ive been using the 1.17 beta version of this mod:
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2672
(you'll need to d/l 1.0.16, and replace its ESP with 1.17 )

So far, haven't had any serious problems aside from wanting to readjusting the sun glare in the fallout ini file.

Video of what it does here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbLpltlBPts

AVGWarhawk
01-15-10, 12:08 PM
Those trogs creep me out.

A lot of darn things in the game creep me out. :o

KeptinCranky
01-15-10, 12:43 PM
That means it's working as designed :D

The critters I fear the most are the ones that aren't impressed by sneak-snipe tactics such as sentry bots and those infernal mr. Gutsy's

My fallout philosophy used to be " if it's got a face I can shoot it there and it dies..." but now with those overhaul mods it's more like

Argh... there's three of them.... RUN!

And I haven't met any of the real nasties yet, except for one deathclaw I managed to outmaneuver... at this point I can just about handle 3 super mutants without getting killed completely, just a crippled limb or 2 and most of my health gone... I've also relearned my respect for the common frag-mine, those have suddenly become dangerously difficult to defuse....

Arclight
01-15-10, 12:50 PM
A lot of darn things in the game creep me out. :o
Some of those Raider or Super Mutant dens are absolutely horrifying. :yep:

Walking through the wasteland and suddenly hearing, what turns out to be, a Yao Guai or Deathclaw running up can raise a little panick as well. :o

Remember, don't feed the Yao Gaui! That is all. ;)

NeonSamurai
01-15-10, 02:50 PM
Those melee critters are easy to deal with, just carry around a dart gun to slow them down, then you can kill them as you like.

Ducimus
01-15-10, 04:29 PM
The assorted Feral Ghouls and Trogs never cease to freak me out.

KeptinCranky
01-15-10, 07:38 PM
Piece of advice, if you ever do the whole galaxy news radio thing with the Brotherhood guys and the Behemoth...

whatever you do, don't up and leave for elsewhere while the Behemoth hasn't showed up yet.

If you do and come back later, those Brotherhood guys won't be there to help you out, nor will there be a Fatman to blow him up,

I just spent about 1 dart, 200 556 rounds, 40 .32 rounds, 10 .308 sniper ammo and 100 shotgun shells to take that thing down :o

I was down to my last 12 shotgun shells....yikes

Ducimus
01-15-10, 08:20 PM
Bottle cap mines. I love those things. I almost always take the explosive skill along with demo expert. Makes for the BIG boom on things like the Behmoth. I have LOTS of fun with explosives, usually setting up ambush's. :D

(edit: also, sneak + pickpocket + nade = exploding pants, great fun)

Arclight
01-16-10, 07:19 AM
Piece of advice, if you ever do the whole galaxy news radio thing with the Brotherhood guys and the Behemoth...

whatever you do, don't up and leave for elsewhere while the Behemoth hasn't showed up yet.

If you do and come back later, those Brotherhood guys won't be there to help you out, nor will there be a Fatman to blow him up,

I just spent about 1 dart, 200 556 rounds, 40 .32 rounds, 10 .308 sniper ammo and 100 shotgun shells to take that thing down :o

I was down to my last 12 shotgun shells....yikes
Aye, had that once. Hid in the demolished building, popping of sneak-attack headshots with hunting rifle... took forever. :o

(edit: also, sneak + pickpocket + nade = exploding pants, great fun)
Most fun you can have with nades. One of the reasons sneak is always a primary skill. :yep:

KeptinCranky
01-16-10, 09:17 AM
I don't normally get that close to the baddies :D but the grenade trick IS fun,

I did have a character with melee and explosives as primary skills, that made for some different but interesting combat, oh and medicine to fix myself up easier afterwards

usually I go for small guns, repair (essential) and something else

AVGWarhawk
01-17-10, 12:10 PM
The assorted Feral Ghouls and Trogs never cease to freak me out.

Oh hell yeah brother. I hate them mojos. Panting and running at me. The glowing ghoul I really hate with a passion. However, keeping a combat shotgun in top shape works wonders. I added some perk were the mothers explode on a critical hit. Sweet! :rock:

I completed Point Look Out. Lots of fun! I gained levels and experience so now tackling the Capital wastelands is a bit easier. :D

AVGWarhawk
01-18-10, 11:53 AM
The more I play this game the more I see how clever and creative Bethesda was in creating it. Some of the things they come up with is astonishing. I'm simply blown away with this game.

To be sure, on your next level up pick the perk for the helper animals. With one perk in this catagory the animals do not attack you. If you get two of this perk the animals will assist you if you are being attacked. The Yao Giui (screwed up looking bears) helped me kill raiders. I was in their den unharmed. The radscorpians still go after me. But molerats, two headed cattle, yao giui, feral dogs do not attack me. It really saves on bullets and stimpaks.

Other than that I'm really enjoying the game and with earphones the game is that much more mesmorizing. The map is huge to say the least. The game is really a piece of work!

Combat shotgun :rock: my favorite!

Takeda Shingen
01-18-10, 02:31 PM
Other than that I'm really enjoying the game and with earphones the game is that much more mesmorizing. The map is huge to say the least. The game is really a piece of work!

Really, one of the first things I noticed was that the sound in this game is amazing.

AVGWarhawk
01-18-10, 03:11 PM
The sounds are excellent. I agree.

Arclight
01-18-10, 03:40 PM
Refering to the effects or the music? It's the music I'm most fond of... not that the effects are bad, hunting rifle and grenades in particular sound great imho. :)

AVGWarhawk
01-18-10, 05:12 PM
The sound effects are great and I do like the background music. The splat of body parts is great. The background music makes it almost movie like.

KeptinCranky
01-18-10, 06:00 PM
Music is great :up: with the one eternal Bethesda flaw, combat music, the music changes when you're attacked, this is not usually an issue, because I sneak everywhere anyway but it does kill the immersion somewhat so i usually turn the music way down

Arclight
01-18-10, 06:05 PM
I like that atmosphere: walking across the wasteland early morning, Dogmeat trailing behind and Billie Holiday on the radio. Or sitting at the bar at Moriarty's.

Really fond of that 60's styling on the vehicles and interiors as well, and those diners are very iconic (for me, as an European anyway).

FO3 has a lot of moments that make me pause for a moment. Something like this (http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/EZatHome/ScreenShot2-1.jpg): just came across a small convenience store and checked it for supplies. On my way out I caught that view and it just made me stop for a moment. Don't really know why, it just enchanted me. (original looks better, JPG ruins the colors :()

Takeda Shingen
01-18-10, 07:05 PM
I was refering to the ambient sound of the wastes and of the internal spaces. I don't play with the music on, so that occassional sound of falling debris and the creaking of the concrete supports makes me jumpy. It is all very minimalist and very effective.

AVGWarhawk
01-18-10, 08:03 PM
Yes, the background ambient sound is very good. I do keep the music on and play with headphones. The odd sounds and debrie falling is very audible when using headphones. Yes it does make you jump sometimes. :o

Arclight
01-19-10, 09:34 AM
Ah, and the creaking of the hull of the carrier when you get near Rivet City, some very nice ambience as well.

I do turn the music off when going "in-doors" (cave, building, etc).

AVGWarhawk
01-19-10, 09:37 AM
I do like the music but will try the game without the music. Probably a very different feel to the game.

Dowly
01-19-10, 09:41 AM
I just replaced the radio tracks with Metallica. :rock:

AVGWarhawk
01-19-10, 09:59 AM
:har: Dowly. Does it play Enter the Sandman when you enter the wastelands?

BTW, nice chick in the sig. Shame the rest of the clothing is not removed. :D

Dowly
01-19-10, 10:09 AM
:har: Dowly. Does it play Enter the Sandman when you enter the wastelands?

No... :cry:

But it is fun to whack baddies to the tune of Master of Puppets. :yep:

AVGWarhawk
01-19-10, 10:37 AM
Speaking of whacking baddies and I think Tak mentioned this, keep your weapons repaired. Man, I spank the baddies quickly with good weapons and some perks. XP helps. I have a cool perk were critical hits make the baddie explode. Nothing like watching the body go into a million pieces. It is good now with just a few rounds to do the job. You know, the baddie that is searching for you stating he is going to kick your arse and asking if you are scared....around the corner he comes and POW! Body parts galore. :D So I stand there looking at the gore on the floor I created and ask, "What was that about being scared?" Muuuuhhahahahahahhah!!!!!

NeonSamurai
01-19-10, 01:22 PM
BTW, nice chick in the sig. Shame the rest of the clothing is not removed. :D
<whaps AVG> you should know better then to give Dowly any ideas :ahoy:

AVGWarhawk
01-19-10, 01:38 PM
<whaps AVG> you should know better then to give Dowly any ideas :ahoy:

Just contributing to the the delinquency of Dowly! :D

Ducimus
01-19-10, 05:41 PM
Personally i never liked the ambient background music. I replaced it with tracks from the previous games. I guess im a little bit of a fallout purist, but the tracks i added are FAR better. Ill try and upload it to filefront tonight so you can see for yourself.

AVGWarhawk
01-19-10, 06:26 PM
Personally i never liked the ambient background music. I replaced it with tracks from the previous games. I guess im a little bit of a fallout purist, but the tracks i added are FAR better. Ill try and upload it to filefront tonight so you can see for yourself.

Great! How does one load the mod? I familiar with SH and using JSGME but the rest just confuse me. :-?

Ducimus
01-19-10, 07:09 PM
Stuff like music/sound you can enable via JSGME like SH3/SH4. Remember, JSGME, is a Generic mod enabler. Ive used it on a number of games.

More complex stuff, you use Fallout Mod manager.
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=640

Just FYI, some mods have sound/textures and stuff associated with the ESP file, its handy to use JSGME to organize them. That way when your done with them, you can pull them out of the data directory at the press of a button. Helps finding mod conflicts too.

Ducimus
01-20-10, 03:19 AM
here you go avg,
http://www.filefront.com/15389123/MUSIC_Original_FO_Music.7z

AVGWarhawk
01-21-10, 10:41 AM
Stuff like music/sound you can enable via JSGME like SH3/SH4. Remember, JSGME, is a Generic mod enabler. Ive used it on a number of games.

More complex stuff, you use Fallout Mod manager.
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=640

Just FYI, some mods have sound/textures and stuff associated with the ESP file, its handy to use JSGME to organize them. That way when your done with them, you can pull them out of the data directory at the press of a button. Helps finding mod conflicts too.

Awesome, thanks. :up:

mookiemookie
02-04-10, 11:13 AM
Fallout: New Vegas Teaser trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7xME0aFbC4

:rock:

Arclight
02-04-10, 12:10 PM
Ugh, what a tease. :lol:

Looking forward to it, seems like they kept the style and feeling. :)

* something to note for the Fallout purists: New Vegas is being developed by Obsidian, rather than Bethesda's in-house team (who developed FO3). Obsidian is home to a number of people who worked on the Fallout games before Bethesda acquired the rights.

So if you were disappointed with FO3 because it wasn't really "Fallout", keep an eye on this one; seems there's a fair chance of getting a game that is closer to the series roots. ;)

(Fallout: New Vegas Set For Fall Release (http://kotaku.com/5464157/fallout-new-vegas-set-for-fall-release))

AVGWarhawk
02-09-10, 09:44 AM
Haha! Cool! I like the looks of Vegas!

sergei
02-12-10, 04:23 PM
Hey everyone.
AVGWarhawk pointed me in the right direction for this thread, so I wanted to say hello. Wow. What can I say about this game?

This is me discovering Fort Independnce
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/7156/finding.jpg

A bit later finding Megaton
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1757/finding3.jpg

I'm only a few levels in, looking for a good rifle.
But man, it's immersive isn't it?
Anyway, good luck in the wasteland to all of you.

AVGWarhawk
02-15-10, 03:02 PM
What key do you use for screen shots? Really, I have had some head shots with exploding brains that are really fit for posting :D.

I'm doing quite well. I found my pixel dad. I will not spoil it for those that have not, but darn, what a cool part of the game. Looks like I might be headed to the Pitt shortly! :yeah:

sergei
02-15-10, 03:40 PM
What key do you use for screen shots?

Just used the 'PrtScn' button.