PDA

View Full Version : DvD wont read

axelw321
11-05-08, 12:52 AM
Hello I just got silent hunter 4 and was excited to get it installed but when I put the dvd in it doesnt acknowledge its there at all. My autoplay doesnt turn it on and when i try to do it manually it says its not there at all. I have windows xp I played silent hunter 3 no problem and even if my specs werent good enough it should at least read the disk. Any suggestions ive searched everywhere and cant find any useful info. Thanks for your time.

donut
11-05-08, 01:15 AM
I was told the laser optic was in need of factory adjustment. dust on sensor optics?

axelw321
11-05-08, 01:42 AM
possibly but it read every other dvd game i have. I dont think its a faulty disk because ive found quite afew similar posts on the main site but no fixes. Ive heard that it could have something to do with the antipiracy software the game uses?

donut
11-05-08, 02:05 AM
Perhaps some truth to it,but I had none. Blow the drawer out,make sure drive is pluged in. Reboot open from My Computer,till it works,or get a new drive. sorry,best I :know: SH4 dosen't use starforce. Ask here PC Hardware/Software forum (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)

SteamWake
11-05-08, 03:51 PM
SH4 dosen't use starforce.

No it uses securerom I believe. Notorious for being incompatible with some drives.

Might want to check your drivers for the drive. A bios flash (shudder) may be in order.

axelw321
11-05-08, 04:19 PM
Whats that lol and how do i check the drive? I beleive it is an issue with starforce or whatever since it will read every other dvd game i have. Its not a fault disk because it wont read the bonus disk with videos and stuff on it as well. So what do I have to do to fix the problem?

Arclight
11-05-08, 04:53 PM
Yeah, think it is copy-protection issue as well.

SteamWake, by BIOS flash do you mean system BIOS or firmware for the drive itself? I think system BIOS flash won't do you any good, since the drive itself is at fault, but a firmware update might do the trick.

Check the site of the manufacturer of your drive and see if they have an update available for the exact model you have. They should have a small program available that you can use to perform the update/flash.

axelw321
11-05-08, 05:00 PM
okay one question though how do I check the manufacturer of my drive?

SteamWake
11-05-08, 05:14 PM
okay one question though how do I check the manufacturer of my drive?

Yes I meant the drive itself.

your going to have to open the case and possibly have to remove the drive and look for the labels on it.

Quite often windows will list a 'generic' name for the drive so system information is not to be trusted. In fact if a 'genric' name for the drive is listed that may be part of the problem.

donut
11-05-08, 06:26 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=982045&postcount=3

axelw321
11-05-08, 06:39 PM
The only info i can find on it in device manager is dvd-16 dvd-rom bdv316g cant find the name of the company or anything and i dont think im capable of taking it out without messing something up lol.

donut
11-05-08, 07:36 PM
google:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=dvd-16x+dvd-rom+bdv316g&spell=1
Lots of INFO>

axelw321
11-05-08, 08:31 PM
I still cant find firmware updates by googleing my number

SteamWake
11-05-08, 08:42 PM
Try the actual manufacturer's website, if they have one.

Failing that you could always replace it with another drive... there not too expensive relatively speaking.

axelw321
11-05-08, 08:49 PM
looks like thats my only option thanks for the help guys. I found a good firmware site with a huge list of drives and it had everything but my specific one so i guess its out of date ill just getanew one in a few days. thanks again for your help if you think of any other suggestions or a link to a site that would help please let me know thanks.

SteamWake
11-06-08, 09:46 AM
Before you plop down alot of money you might want to try to see if another computer can read the disk okay, just to be sure its not the disk itself.