PDA

View Full Version : Just My Luck!

Fish40
11-02-08, 05:43 AM
First the basics: RFB, RSRD, OM, all the latest versions:up: Now the dilemma. Jan/44. Sent to patrol area near the Japan, Mariana, Truck convoy lanes. Reach area, patrol for several days, nada. OK, head south for the Marianas, and decide to approach Saipan. It's a calm night, partial clouds. About ten miles from the coast, my radar screen lights up with several blips! At first I thought it was a flotilla of Sampans so close to the coast, so I decided to submerge to have a listen.

After not picking up a single engine noise, I fealt my initial guess was correct. I decided to investigate further, and within four miles of the coast, I began to see shapes on the horizon, with the mountains of Saipan in the background. I hit the MOTHERLOAD!!! An entire convoy at anchor, outside the harbour:huh: Sounds great, but it's still too dark to get any accurate ship ID. If I get any closer, I'm afraid I'll either be detected, or run aground! What should I do?

Rockin Robbins
11-02-08, 05:55 AM
Point and shoot. They're not moving. Set speed zero, AoB zero (actually doesn't matter as long as speed is zero. Move in to about 2000 yards away because there's no problem with sufficient accuracy here.

Pull the triangle on the range/bearing part of the input portion of the TDC down all the way. This will set your range about 1425 yards.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/Silent%20Hunter%204/Manual%20TDC%20Range/SH4Img14-11-2007_75722_242-1.jpg

Now, make sure the ships you are firing at aren't more than 30º off the bow, bearings between 330 and 30. Open six tubes.

For each target, sight the periscope where you want the torpedo to hit, press send bearing/range, fire. Locking is not necessary. Turn that puppy around and empty the stern tubes in the same manner.

I would allocate two per ship. I wouldn't shoot anything but capital ships. Get the big ones.

Arclight
11-02-08, 11:24 AM
I've had bad experiences with point and shoot if I don't set AOB to 0. For some reason, even though speed is set to 0, the torpedoes tend to veer off left or right. Like Rockin suggested, set to 0 to be sure. ;)

Also, if you can get a rough range estimate (perhaps simple measure on the map), use it. It may not make (much) difference, but the more accurate the data, the more accurate the shot. :D

Leo_93
11-03-08, 10:26 PM
from my experience I think you can go in at Periscope depth but that can depend on the area. Also depending on what version of silent hunter you are using I don't think sampans can show up on radar but i could be wrong.

<Jason>
11-03-08, 10:55 PM
First the basics: RFB, RSRD, OM, all the latest versions:up: Now the dilemma. Jan/44. Sent to patrol area near the Japan, Mariana, Truck convoy lanes. Reach area, patrol for several days, nada. OK, head south for the Marianas, and decide to approach Saipan. It's a calm night, partial clouds. About ten miles from the coast, my radar screen lights up with several blips! At first I thought it was a flotilla of Sampans so close to the coast, so I decided to submerge to have a listen.

After not picking up a single engine noise, I fealt my initial guess was correct. I decided to investigate further, and within four miles of the coast, I began to see shapes on the horizon, with the mountains of Saipan in the background. I hit the MOTHERLOAD!!! An entire convoy at anchor, outside the harbour:huh: Sounds great, but it's still too dark to get any accurate ship ID. If I get any closer, I'm afraid I'll either be detected, or run aground! What should I do?

i wish i had this problem :lol: