PDA

View Full Version : Navigation mods

B.N.R.T.
10-27-08, 08:16 AM
Welcome, everyone, to my first post in this magnificent U-boat simulator forum.

I've got a quick question regarding mods. I'm no computerexpert, so you may have to go slow and easy on me when explaining things.

Anyhoo, I just completed my first patrol (using GWX) with a nice tonnage of about 25000 and I want to make some realism/immersion changes for my next patrol.

Specifically I want to:

1) Get rid of the circle/bearing tool telling me where my sub is.

2) Get rid of the course plotting tool and the erase all tool in the Navigation map.

Is this possible? Will I get a quick answer so I can start making the seas unsafe sooner? Will I get lost when I don't know where I am?

Thanks you in advance,

Geert

EDIT: And another question. How are contact reports 'made'? The little ship (or convoy, which I haven't seen yet) icons that sometimes appear on the map. Are they generated only within a certain radius of my U-boat? Because I've only seen them near me, I think that is the case.

AndyW
10-27-08, 10:12 AM
Hi B.N.R.T.,

you may give vanjast's Real Navigation Mod a try.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=113975

No more GPS Nav Map, no indication where you or your target is, Navigation by stars and sunrise / sunset.

Hardcore stuff, enjoy.

Cheers,

B.N.R.T.
10-27-08, 10:18 AM
Too hardcore, I think, both installing and navigation. The Ctrl+leftclick works fine to represent that.

Basically, I want to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3yDDIS1GBk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MH1GUq0_DA

Pisces
10-27-08, 12:13 PM

Specifically I want to:

1) Get rid of the circle/bearing tool telling me where my sub is.

2) Get rid of the course plotting tool and the erase all tool in the Navigation map.

Is this possible? Will I get a quick answer so I can start making the seas unsafe sooner? Will I get lost when I don't know where I am?

Thanks you in advance,

Geert

EDIT: And another question. How are contact reports 'made'? The little ship (or convoy, which I haven't seen yet) icons that sometimes appear on the map. Are they generated only within a certain radius of my U-boat? Because I've only seen them near me, I think that is the case.[EDIT]Oops, I thought you wanted all tools removed. But you meant "Erase all". ... For 1) above you might want to search in the mods section, there have been plenty threads written on how to do that. 2) should be as simple as deleting any waypoints present. IIRC the game doesn't start with one and won't force the line on you.

If you have "No map contact update" UNmarked (I don't think you do since you want realism) some contacts may appear when your crew/sensors have detected units nearby. Often by visual and periscope sightings. Other than that you might get long-range intelligence reports from time to time. These are indeed shown based on a certain range around your uboot. I think default is something like 250km (in data/cfg/contacts.cfg). I personally have increased this value to 750-ish, as Uncle Dönitz has enough confidence in me intercepting slow and medium speed targets wel outside 250km with a run-of-the-mill type7. :|\\ But how he expects me to chase down contacts on the other side of Ireland I don't know.

B.N.R.T.
10-27-08, 12:21 PM
Thank you for the answers.

"I don't see how you can do like that hardcore navigation movie by dantenoc withouth those navmap tools."

I want to delete the 'erase all' tool. You know, the one you click after painstakingly drawing out many course plots :damn:

That is not a priority, however, more of something I wouldn't have happen to me anymore. Waypoints aren't a priority either, just something to take away appeal.

"For 1) above you might want to search in the mods section, there have been plenty threads written on how to do that"

I've been looking for two days now, haven't been able to find something. Could be my search-fu is off, but I have found no quick & easy fix (yet?).

kylania
10-27-08, 01:03 PM
That is not a priority, however, more of something I wouldn't have happen to me anymore. Waypoints aren't a priority either, just something to take away appeal.

After seeing that video I'd tried some of these steps myself. Basically waypoints have a HUGE effect on navigation. Especially in stormy weather you can quickly go off course by a drastic amount. The waypoint system constantly sets your course back.

Removing the buttons should be as easy as just finding the entry in a menu.cfg file or something and removing it. I'll poke around tonight and try to find it. Don't have SHIII installed at work oddly enough.

Commander Gizmo
10-27-08, 02:44 PM
After seeing that video I'd tried some of these steps myself. Basically waypoints have a HUGE effect on navigation. Especially in stormy weather you can quickly go off course by a drastic amount. The waypoint system constantly sets your course back.
Isn't that the whole purpose of having a nav officer? His job is to keep you on cource and to plot where you are vs where you should be. How accuratly could uboat captains stay on course?

Jimbuna
10-27-08, 02:50 PM
Welcome aboard B.N.R.T......would it not be simpler just to refrain from using said tool :hmm:

B.N.R.T.
10-27-08, 03:12 PM
Thank you jimbuna. And yes, it would, that's why I said deleting the way-point tool wasn't a high priority.

However, I still want to get rid of the submarine symbol.

And Commander Gizmo: yes, it would be the terrain of the Nav Officer. But who says that it can't be fun? I think I'm more into (partly) taking over the role of Nav Officer than manual targeting (for example). That's the beauty of the SH3 (modded) game, you can do so much!

B.N.R.T.
10-27-08, 05:19 PM
I found this thread, where they talk about the bearing wheel:

Specifically, someone mentions this file: NSS_Uboat7c_shp.tga as the bearing overloay for my current u-boat. Can I just delete this file? Will that accomplish what I want (the bearing overlay gone)? Will it still show the sub icon in bigger zooms?

Jimbuna
10-27-08, 05:20 PM
Thank you jimbuna. And yes, it would, that's why I said deleting the way-point tool wasn't a high priority.

However, I still want to get rid of the submarine symbol.

And Commander Gizmo: yes, it would be the terrain of the Nav Officer. But who says that it can't be fun? I think I'm more into (partly) taking over the role of Nav Officer than manual targeting (for example). That's the beauty of the SH3 (modded) game, you can do so much!

Sorry, I missed that last bit....go to:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\GWX2.1\data\Misc

and delete the file UMark TGA http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

B.N.R.T.
10-27-08, 05:42 PM
Nope, not it. Tried a single mission and my u-boat symbol was still there. But isn't that the symbol you see in external views when submerged? I want it gone from my navigation map.

kylania
10-27-08, 09:19 PM
Are you looking to remove only your boat from the nav map, or all contacts?

You can get rid of zoomed in contacts with the data\Menu\cfg\Maps.cfg file by adjusting the two SymbolZoom=10; lines under Map0 and Map1.

You can remove your sub symbol itself, and leave other contacts, by adjusting the files under \data\Submarine\NSS_UboatXX\ folders. OLC GUI Special does this by replacing the NSS_UBoatXX_shp.tga files with blank ones. You could just copy over the whole \data\Submarine folder it uses to get rid of your ship icons I believe?

Pisces
10-29-08, 07:26 AM
"I don't see how you can do like that hardcore navigation movie by dantenoc withouth those navmap tools."

I want to delete the 'erase all' tool. You know, the one you click after painstakingly drawing out many course plots :damn:I noticed I read that part of your post incorrectly a little too late. You must have allready replied while I was editing my response. My apologies

B.N.R.T.
10-29-08, 07:44 AM
I noticed I read that part of your post incorrectly a little too late. You must have allready replied while I was editing my response. My apologies

Not a problem, I appreciate the help. I think I've about done it now, replaced some U-boat .tga's with those from the realnav modpack and restricted zoom a little.

I still see a tiny tiny flickering dot, about one pixel in size, but I'm trying to ignore it :|\\

Now I'm in a storm northwest of Great Britain, and my helms officer just can't keep his course, which means frequent adjustments using the GWX compass, which means I can't read while cruising at 128TC, but I guess kauleuns didn't get that much chance to read either.