PDA

View Full Version : Hydrophone problem and radar question

I'm goin' down
10-26-08, 10:47 PM
Can bad weather screw up hydrophone contacts? I chased a freighter in bad weather based upon radar contacts (Career Mission No. 8 in the east China sea in a Gato class sub -- so the two sonar screens were disabled. Thus, I was unable to use the two sonar screens.) The weather was terrible -- raining cats and dogs! It was a night time attack and pitch black on the surface. I was on the surface most of the time, as the weather was so bad no one could see me. I made visual contact at 600-800 yards, and struck with one torpedoe using auto targeting with PK off, relying on the angles of the two ships as show on the PK to take what turned out to be a lucky shot. I think the ship was on the move because I chased it like a hound after a fox. I have read posts which say a ship will emit noise which should be picked up by a hydrophone unless it is stationary with engines off. I do not think that was my situation, and I never got a hydrophone contact.

Why didn't my hydrophones work? I was playing a game saved over others. Also, I think I understand the difference betwen hydrophones and sonar, but what is radar and how does it fit into this scenario?

I eventually sunk the freighter, which was listing hard to starboard, from the aforedescribed torpedoe impact with my deck gun. My deck crew proceeded to go night fishing and brought up a pot full of lobsters which we had for a midnight meal. It was better than Chinese take out!

Task Force
10-26-08, 10:49 PM
Whats your current mod setup?;)

Orion2012
10-26-08, 11:57 PM
These are the determining ratios in hydrophone detection. Values will very dependent on mod setup.

;Hydrophone
Hydrophone range factor=1
Hydrophone fog factor=0
Hydrophone light factor=0
Hydrophone waves factor=0.5
Hydrophone speed factor=1.0
Hydrophone enemy speed=0
Hydrophone aspect=0
Hydrophone noise factor=0.5
Hydrophone sensor height factor=0
Hydrophone already tracking modifier=20
Hydrophone decay time=150
Hydrophone uses crew efficiency=true

It should also be noted that hydrophone contacts on the surface may be lost due to the rocking of the boat and actual lifting of the hydrophone heads from the water. The Hydrophone has disabled while on the surface in RFB.

Their are 2 types of radar.

SD -Radar is for aircraft. You have no visual display of either in the game. Just the crew annoncing radar contact. The crew does not differentiate between air and surface contacts, you can tell the difference by speed.

SJ-Radar does surface contacts. It is broken into 2 displays. An A-Scope and a PPI-Scope. The PPI -Scope is the visual representation of targets bearing to you. The A-Scope shows distance to contact from you.

The SD Radar will not detect low flying aircraft. (In RFB its above 3,200 feet) The SJ-Radar has a chance of detecting some low flying aircraft (below 1,000 feet in RFB) The SJ-Radar is also effected by weather. The game controls this using the size of a target meaning in 10 foot seas you may detect a T3-tanker at 10000yrds yet not detect a small tanker until it's in visual range.
I'm not sure how the SD-Radar is affected by weather or if it is.

In TMO and RFB SV-Radar is available. It is considered an Air-Radar but can detect surface contacts as well. Handy because it can be extended from periscope depth. It's not available until June of 45 in RFB.

I'm goin' down
10-27-08, 12:28 AM
I am new to SH$4. I have one mod, a compass that works with with my navigation and attack map. I play at zero percent realism with the music off. The hydrophone settings described by Orion 2012 are beyond my comphrehension. I am using auto targeting.

Task Force
10-27-08, 12:32 AM
Hmmm, I dont know then, havent messed with stock in months.:-?

SteamWake
10-27-08, 09:44 AM
I am new to SH$4. I have one mod, a compass that works with with my navigation and attack map. I play at zero percent realism with the music off. The hydrophone settings described by Orion 2012 are beyond my comphrehension. I am using auto targeting.

As mentioned above hydrophone performance while on the surface was spotty, just too much background noise. Espically in heavy weather.

In fact this is often a good reason to submerge in bad weather. You can hear a lot further in such conditions than you can see. Periscope depth or a little deeper should be fine.

Yes this includes the 'vanilla' game.

I'm goin' down
10-27-08, 11:46 AM
Steamwake's advice sounds good to me (no pun intended.) Thanks.

richardphat
10-28-08, 11:02 PM
These are the determining ratios in hydrophone detection. Values will very dependent on mod setup.

;Hydrophone
Hydrophone range factor=1
Hydrophone fog factor=0
Hydrophone light factor=0
Hydrophone waves factor=0.5
Hydrophone speed factor=1.0
Hydrophone enemy speed=0
Hydrophone aspect=0
Hydrophone noise factor=0.5
Hydrophone sensor height factor=0
Hydrophone already tracking modifier=20
Hydrophone decay time=150
Hydrophone uses crew efficiency=true

It should also be noted that hydrophone contacts on the surface may be lost due to the rocking of the boat and actual lifting of the hydrophone heads from the water. The Hydrophone has disabled while on the surface in RFB.

Their are 2 types of radar.

SD -Radar is for aircraft. You have no visual display of either in the game. Just the crew annoncing radar contact. The crew does not differentiate between air and surface contacts, you can tell the difference by speed.

SJ-Radar does surface contacts. It is broken into 2 displays. An A-Scope and a PPI-Scope. The PPI -Scope is the visual representation of targets bearing to you. The A-Scope shows distance to contact from you.

The SD Radar will not detect low flying aircraft. (In RFB its above 3,200 feet) The SJ-Radar has a chance of detecting some low flying aircraft (below 1,000 feet in RFB) The SJ-Radar is also effected by weather. The game controls this using the size of a target meaning in 10 foot seas you may detect a T3-tanker at 10000yrds yet not detect a small tanker until it's in visual range.
I'm not sure how the SD-Radar is affected by weather or if it is.

In TMO and RFB SV-Radar is available. It is considered an Air-Radar but can detect surface contacts as well. Handy because it can be extended from periscope depth. It's not available until June of 45 in RFB.

Is it from CFG files or some sim,zon files?