PDA

View Full Version : Is "target lock" based on range or visibility?

prowler3
10-26-08, 02:31 PM
Here's an old question which has come back to haunt me. I am on my 5 day shakedown patrol and the crew is training . I am on the surface and tracking 2 Brirish merchies for targeting practice. They are at long range, 5,000+ meters, but I can see them plainly with the naked eye, binocs and UZO...but they won't stay "locked" in the UZO. I don't suppose there is any way to make the target lock "stick" at this range? I remember this issue as one of those little bummers I had with SH3. From a reality standpoint, if I can plainly see the target visually, I should be able to maintain a "lock" on it but I seem to recall this was an SH3 limitation. Anyone ever found a way to modify this little discrepancy?

Commander Gizmo
10-26-08, 04:02 PM
I created a keymapping for just locking (not toggling) the target. This allows me to just hammer away on the key when I know that it should be keeping the lock. This is probably not quite what you have in mind, but it works.

Schöneboom
10-26-08, 04:16 PM
I think when the target lock unsticks, that's SH3's way of saying you're still out of torpedo range. If you're surfaced, your watch officer can give useful targeting data on the nearest ship, provided he can see it.

Mach's gut!

prowler3
10-26-08, 04:54 PM
I created a keymapping for just locking (not toggling) the target. This allows me to just hammer away on the key when I know that it should be keeping the lock. This is probably not quite what you have in mind, but it works.

Commander, can you give me some more on how you did that? Appreciate that as it will have to do.

Schöneboom, do you know if the lock "unsticks" based on the torpedo type in the tube you have selected...or is it just a general range number (like 5,000 meters)?

Thanks guys!

Sailor Steve
10-26-08, 06:44 PM
I follow this general rule: If it unsticks, then he couldn't identify the target. Can I? If not, then neither should he. I don't consider it fair to hammer the target key myself, preferring to wait until the average spotter (myself included) could do the work. I don't use manual targetting, but I try to act as if I do.

Does any of that make sense?

meduza
10-26-08, 07:32 PM
It makes perfect sense. :up:
I use WE to identify the target, but I wait untill the ships comes close enough that even I can recognize it. It seems very unrealistical to ask WE to identify that small speck on the horizont. :D

I do use manual targeting, and only ask WE to identify because I'm to lazy to browse the Recognition manual myself.

Regarding the question about the periscope lock, I hardly ever use it, but I guess it is affected by the distance and sea state.