PDA

View Full Version : Late war poor quality control at the shipyards..

jamz
10-23-08, 09:09 PM
I brought my poor, battered USS Balao in after almost a year and a half of solid service in early June of 1945. I had brought her in pretty mauled up before, but this time it was amazing that she was afloat, even after singlehandedly sinking an entire convoy. She was my baby, had her decked out with the finest electronics and even those top-secret torpedoes that "supposedly" weren't used till after the war.

Well, Balao was too badly hacked up to repair, and they wanted my butt out there again ASAP, so they gave me another boat, the USS Tench. Lovely, I spent some time outfitting her with better sonar and such, and couldn't wait to take her to see. I arrive at the dock to see... something... amiss with my new boat. They must really be rushing these things through QC nowadays.

The band didn't seem to care.
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/5610/sh4img20081023220100672fs2.jpg

I took her out for a spin anyway. Most sleek!

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9515/sh4img20081023215746484vz3.jpg

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1201/sh4img20081023215804734rt2.jpg

All in all, I'm not too happy with my new command. Sure, she'll be tough to spot, and will be faster underwater, but it takes away any possibility of visual contact with... anything, and the watch crew is going to complain about the lack of deck chairs. On the other hand, I can now hold a wicked dance party with plenty of room for everyone!

breadcatcher101
10-23-08, 09:30 PM
Well, we were starting to run short of money towards the end of the war and some things, well, at least it will reduce your profile.

Nice band, though, never had one for my boat.

Orion2012
10-24-08, 12:35 AM
When you bring a boat back in Severely damaged I believe you can be "demoted" and given a different boat.

LukeFF
10-24-08, 03:03 AM
Please don't use the PNG file format for screenshots.

FIREWALL
10-24-08, 03:23 AM
All you need now are a bunch of oars for that canoe. :p :rotfl:

jamz
10-24-08, 07:09 AM
Yeah I know that you have to get a new boat when the old one is too banged up, but heck, a rowboat with two guys and a flare gun would beat this. I mean, really. No periscopes, no TBT, no radar, no lookouts, no sonar, and probably no ice cream maker. Who wants to go to sea like that?

(Images fixed BTW, thanks, never noticed the format).

You can man the forward gun though. I suppose that's something.

SteamWake
10-24-08, 09:12 AM
What are you complaining about ! Thats the state of the are stealth sail !

LOL Weve seen this before, cant really remember what causes it but a save / reload should fix it.

On the bright side you can dive much faster and make better speed while submerged now :rotfl: :rotfl:

BTW did you try to get a 'bridge view'?

Diopos
10-24-08, 09:47 AM
It's OK!. It's just upside down!:huh:

jamz
10-24-08, 09:54 AM
:rotfl:

No , can't get a bridge view sadly. Can't even get on sonar, radar, AA guns, nothing.

I ended up reloading a save from late in the last patrol.... fortunately it was BEFORE I had been taken by surprise by a shore battery, so my poor Balao didn't have quite as much damage (nor glory) at the end of her patrol, so I got to keep her. :)

Orion2012
10-24-08, 10:31 AM
:rotfl:

No , can't get a bridge view sadly. Can't even get on sonar, radar, AA guns, nothing.

I ended up reloading a save from late in the last patrol.... fortunately it was BEFORE I had been taken by surprise by a shore battery, so my poor Balao didn't have quite as much damage (nor glory) at the end of her patrol, so I got to keep her. :)

Do you mean that you have no sonar or radar or AA guns?? Even when you get demoted those should all be available for that boat given a time period. Give you had a Balao they should be. If they weren't available then something is wrong with the install or maybe a mod conflict.

subcpo
10-24-08, 03:30 PM
Best Thread ever! LOL

FIREWALL
10-24-08, 04:05 PM
Maybe you need to go to Canoes R Us :p