PDA

View Full Version : A new mountain coming up

porphy
10-23-08, 03:23 AM
Well, the mountain isn't exactly new, but it will be a new one for me! So it is time for Porphy to go on another mountaineering trip. This time I will go to Nepal. It’s all very exciting indeed. :)

We hope to climb Ama Dablam, which is a stunning piece of natural architecture! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ama_Dablam

Unfortunately, latest news is that conditions are bad on the mountain. Lots of snow, and the overhanging ice serac high up (the Dablam) have reportedly dropped some heavy artillery down on the route and on the camp 3 area. So we will see what happens... Might turn into a hike to base camp and back... :shifty:

Anyway, will do my best to beat the subsim altitude record and bring a photo as proof. I also will enjoy myself in a new part of the world. If the climbing is too insecure, I might relocate to a yoga temple and take up high intensity Ashtanga practice for some weeks instead. :cool:

cheers Porphy

Skybird
10-23-08, 04:38 AM
Don't forget your parachute! :up:

Fincuan
10-23-08, 04:53 AM
Good luck, enjoy and try to limit your stay in Camp 3 to minimum :up:

What's the current Subsim altitude record and who's the holder btw?

Skybird
10-23-08, 04:58 AM
What's the current Subsim altitude record and who's the holder btw?
Jaques Piccard, -10916 m :smug:

Fincuan
10-23-08, 05:06 AM
Hehe I was just about to add that I don't mean altitude reached by flying :lol:

porphy
10-23-08, 09:23 AM
<<<Update>>>

New mountain again!

We took the decision to not climb Ama Dablam this year. The serac is active with ice avalanches hitting camp 3 and part of the route on summit day. It's better to shoot at something totally different, than to worry about the Dablam before and during climb, and possibly arrive at the mountain with no other climbing options, when the route is found to be too risky.

We opted to go to Pumori http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumori)instead and try the south ridge! Pumori is certainly not a bad substitute. Higher and very close to Everest herself. And a beautiful mountain as well.

I don't know who acctualy have the altitude record at subsim. I have a posted photo with the "subsim duct tape logo" on the summit from my first unclimbed peak in Kirgizstan, at a modest 4900 meters. My personal "high" is 6668 meters in Peru on Huascaran North, but no subsim flag or logo on that one.
I think the only valid record should be a photo with something saying or indicating subsim at altitude. (please no pics from inside the airliner...)

Maybe we should have a depth record as well! Would be more fitting perhaps...;)

cheers Porphy

Jimbuna
10-23-08, 11:35 AM
Good luck in your exploits....stay safe :up:

porphy
10-23-08, 11:36 AM
Out of curiosity, for how long have you been mountain climbing ?

I had the first feel of altitude in the Swiss Alps 2004 on one or two 4000m peaks, and I then went to my first big mountain in 2005 (Peru), so high mountaineering about 4 years.
I have been wilderness hiking and peak bagging in Sweden and Norway every year since I was 10 years old though, so mountains in some form have been part of most of my life.:) Also do a bit of rock climbing and Scottish style winter climbs. It's amazing it all started out with one day walks with my parents in the Swedish mountains, and now I'm of to Himalaya ;)

cheers Porphy

Jimbuna
10-24-08, 10:14 AM
I hear the best country to go to for mountain climbing practice is Holland :lol:

Fincuan
10-24-08, 11:32 PM
I don't know who acctualy have the altitude record at subsim. I have a posted photo with the "subsim duct tape logo" on the summit from my first unclimbed peak in Kirgizstan, at a modest 4900 meters. My personal "high" is 6668 meters in Peru on Huascaran North, but no subsim flag or logo on that one.
I think the only valid record should be a photo with something saying or indicating subsim at altitude. (please no pics from inside the airliner...)

Maybe we should have a depth record as well! Would be more fitting perhaps...;)

cheers Porphy

Good stuff, and(this said from behind a keyboard), it looks like you made a good choice by going to Pumori instead. My personal high is 6900 m on Aconcagua, but no photo with Subsim banner either. Actually no photo at all from that height since the visibility in that bloody snowstorm was about 5 meters :lol: I didn't dare to go any higher since I was alone and would have had to risk not making it back to camp 3 before dark.

Once more, good luck, have fun and climb safe! :up:

August
10-25-08, 12:19 AM
8680ft above Sea Level. I-80 just out of Laramie Wyoming :smug:

porphy
05-09-09, 04:55 PM
Good stuff, and(this said from behind a keyboard), it looks like you made a good choice by going to Pumori instead. My personal high is 6900 m on Aconcagua, but no photo with Subsim banner either. Actually no photo at all from that height since the visibility in that bloody snowstorm was about 5 meters :lol: I didn't dare to go any higher since I was alone and would have had to risk not making it back to camp 3 before dark.

Once more, good luck, have fun and climb safe! :up:

Found this old thread by accident today. I guess Fincuan holds the altitude record so far here at subsim. I never got very high on Pumori last year. Our high point was ca 6400 on the south ridge.

Good call turning back in time, especially when alone. I witnessed a horrible event in Kyrgyzstan when a lone climber was lost to frozen hands and hypothermia on the route during night, after trying to solo down in bad weather... :(

Which route did you do on Aconcagua? I would like to go there as well, but I'm thinking of the polish glacier route rather than the normal route. It's always interesting to hear input from other mountains around the world. Oh, and from were is the picture in your sig?

cheers porphy

Platapus
05-09-09, 06:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBe6BZq0SCY

Some good advice here.

porphy
05-09-09, 09:16 PM
Ah excellent advice, thank you! :)

I also find inspiration and information here Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U0tDU37q2M)
and here Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F2SJS6B1wQ&NR=1)

cheers porphy

Arclight
05-10-09, 12:59 PM
I hear the best country to go to for mountain climbing practice is Holland :lol:Yeah, thanks for that. :shifty: :03:

"Mountain"? What is "mountain"? :doh:

Highest you find around here is 320 meters. That's not a mountain, that's a frickin hill. :haha:

Jimbuna
05-10-09, 02:39 PM
Yeah, thanks for that. :shifty: :03:

"Mountain"? What is "mountain"? :doh:

Highest you find around here is 320 meters. That's not a mountain, that's a frickin hill. :haha:

....and quite a big hill at that :DL

I used to live there in the early nineties :03: