PDA

View Full Version : Regarding "Dive Time"

Erich dem Roten
10-21-08, 11:52 AM
When looking at the specs for various boats and their dive time is mentioned, what is that in terms of? Time from surface to 70m with a crash dive, or merely time to fully submerge the vessel at a normal down angle on the planes?

meduza
10-21-08, 12:28 PM
I'd say it's the latter one.

richardphat
10-21-08, 12:30 PM
I dont think it is the crash dive. It usually needs more than that if you want to reach the 60m+.
SO i think it is the normal dive

Graf Paper
10-21-08, 03:29 PM
Using the Type VII boats as an example...

The dive time given is defined as the average number of seconds, at a speed of 10 knots, that it takes for a fully surfaced u-boat (running at a keel depth of ~5 meters for the Type VII) to completely submerge once dive procedures are initiated, in optimal conditions.

A u-boat is considered completely submerged once the conning tower (turm) no longer breaks water and the keel passes a depth of 10 meters (the height of the Type VII from keel to bridge being about 9.6 meters.).

So the dive time, measured in seconds, is how long it takes during a normal dive to achieve a depth of 10 meters running at 10 knots in speed.

Erich dem Roten
10-21-08, 05:52 PM
Ahhh, thanks. Maybe I should have my whole crew start jumping up and down in the bow torpedo room...seems like the IXB I drive is allergic to water sometimes.

CCIP
10-21-08, 06:04 PM
Ahhh, thanks. Maybe I should have my whole crew start jumping up and down in the bow torpedo room...seems like the IXB I drive is allergic to water sometimes.

Hey now, compare that to some of the US subs and she's lightning-fast :p

(actually in general, the IXs are quite a swift diver given their size)

I should also say that the dive times cited in literature are also for a fully-prepared, alert crew that's anticipating the dive at any moment and has the boat prepared and trimmed for a quick and efficient dive. This isn't the case at every point in a patrol, of course, and a boat that's not completely prepared to dive might take several minutes to get under. Of course in SHIII, it'd be a bit harsh on the player to base the dive time on anything but the optimal dive time.

Commander Gizmo
10-21-08, 08:54 PM
Keep in mind too that there is a difference in giving the 'dive' order, giving the 'pariscope/snorkel depth' order, and the 'crash dive' order. If you order just periscope depth, the crew will not angle the planes and keep then angled such that the sub passes the shallow depth requested. This will slow your sub's decent. Also, crash dive means full throttle for more preasure on the dive planes, as well as flooding the tanks fully for even faster diving.

Didn't I read somewhere around here that the game really does simulate the extra weight of the crew rushing to the fore torpedo room when you move them all forward? I can't find the post I'm thinking of, but I seem to recall that it was confirmed, and seeing a difference in my games.

Erich dem Roten
10-21-08, 10:33 PM
Well my main concern is planes. Sometimes, even if I hit 'p' and going flank after getting the first sign of airborne radar, planes can still manage to drop close enough to cause damage. It gets annoying crash diving every time, though. Wish there was a command for 'dive planes max down angle' or something.

rifleman13
10-21-08, 10:41 PM
I think it's "D" by default...:hmm:

After hitting "D" the boat will continue to dive until
1. You intervene i.e. hit "A" to level off :up:
or
2. You leave the boat alone in shallow waters and incur some type of damage... :down:
or
3. You leave the boat alone in deep waters and continue to dive past crush depth and ... you know the rest:dead:

I think that's the closest thing you have to maxing your planes down.:know:

Steeltrap
10-21-08, 10:49 PM
Note you can also edit the crash dive depth for each sub.

I have 'crash' set for 50m - deep enough to avoid aircraft weapons, shallow enough not to take too long before levelling out.

I recall Peter Cremer (U-333: the Story of a U-Boat Ace) pointing out that the required standard in training (as conducted in the Baltic) was to go from surfaced to 20m in 25 seconds (pretty sure that's right but I can check), so I think the dive time for the type VII is possibly a little long if anything.

Erich dem Roten
10-21-08, 10:49 PM
Hmm I'll give it a try, thanks :up: I thought 'D' was just a regular, slow dive, like going to periscope depth except you kept going.

Erich dem Roten
10-21-08, 10:51 PM
Note you can also edit the crash dive depth for each sub.

I have 'crash' set for 50m - deep enough to avoid aircraft weapons, shallow enough not to take too long before levelling out.

I recall Peter Cremer (U-333: the Story of a U-Boat Ace) pointing out that the required standard in training (as conducted in the Baltic) was to go from surfaced to 20m in 25 seconds (pretty sure that's right but I can check), so I think the dive time for the type VII is possibly a little long if anything.

Through the various sub config files, I'm guessing? It'd be nice to have a crash depth a little shallower. And I'd love to get under in 25 seconds. Even if the IX's were fast for their size, it's still damn slow when you can see the planes angling down for their dive :p

Steeltrap
10-21-08, 10:55 PM
Yes, in the config for each sub you'll find 'CrashDepth=Xm' (or something like that).

Change it and the sub will then level out of a crash at that depth.

I find 50m a good compromise - useful in all but the most shallow water and deep enough to get away from bombs/DCs dropped from aircraft.

Graf Paper
10-21-08, 10:57 PM
That's why you try to run with "decks awash" during daylight hours when you're sailing in areas heavily patrolled by aircraft.

It does slow your boat's surface speed down a bit but it also cuts dive time in half.

Commander Gizmo
10-21-08, 11:04 PM
Isn't there a way to adjust the dive planes manually using the 3d dials? Seems like I used to know how to do that. Was that a mod or something?

meduza
10-22-08, 06:22 AM
I wonder, is the Crash dive any faster then pressing "D" and going flank? I'd say not, but I may be wrong.

Isn't there a way to adjust the dive planes manually using the 3d dials? Seems like I used to know how to do that. Was that a mod or something?
In stock game, and GWX, it is not possible. And I'm not aware of any mod that allows it.

Letum
10-22-08, 06:35 AM

perhaps you are remembering the last SH2 patch?

nikbear
10-22-08, 11:48 AM
Also I belive its venatore who does a mod that lets you alter the crash dive depth to different presets 30m,40m, 50m's I seem to recall,its JSGME ready and very useful,a great little mod:up:

owner20071963
10-22-08, 12:05 PM
Will We ever See the Dive Planes Work Visually?Like We Did In Silent Hunter 2?
On Silent Hunter 3?Worth A Modders Look into? I Guess?:hmm: :arrgh!:

:lurk:

Steeltrap
10-22-08, 05:57 PM

This was done for SH2 due to the default dive angle being too shallow. In SHIII the subs dive at pretty decent angles so it's really not a factor.

Weight distribution and the time required to flood your tanks are the limiting factors on dive times from the surface. Until you reach the point where you have flooded sufficiently to 'sink', you can do what you want with the dive planes and it won't really matter.

owner20071963
10-23-08, 05:53 PM

This was done for SH2 due to the default dive angle being too shallow. In SHIII the subs dive at pretty decent angles so it's really not a factor.

Weight distribution and the time required to flood your tanks are the limiting factors on dive times from the surface. Until you reach the point where you have flooded sufficiently to 'sink', you can do what you want with the dive planes and it won't really matter. Hmm Should I have said Visually See the Dive Planes move?Like In Sh2,:hmm:

Erich dem Roten
10-23-08, 05:58 PM
The dive planes do indeed move. Just go to the external view and order some depth changes.

owner20071963
10-24-08, 03:17 AM
The dive planes do indeed move. Just go to the external view and order some depth changes. :hmm: I better go to the nearest Store and Order Some,Do I use Paypal Or Visa?
Or are We on the same Wavelength?Visually You cannot see Dive Planes move in SH3,Like in SH2,Correct?:hmm::arrgh!:

meduza
10-24-08, 10:04 AM
Visually You cannot see Dive Planes move in SH3,Like in SH2,Correct?:hmm::arrgh!:

:lurk: Yes, you can.

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo74/nnd005/planes.jpg