PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to GW seeking help with auto targeting

orengreen
10-15-08, 09:47 AM
Hello All,
I just got my new PC and finally I can play GW!.
What I found is that auto targeting is much more difficult than in stock SH3!
(Respect to you hardcore manual targeters out there, I wish I was as dedicated as you).
1. Can anyone give me some tips, point me to a guide, explain to me (etc.) how to effectively use my weapons officer for targeting in GW?
2. What are the factors that determine the time it takes my officer to identify targets when using periscope/UZO/etc (the time it takes until that little target triangle appears)?

Thanks!

TarJak
10-15-08, 10:11 AM
Firstly wilkommen zu Subsim Herr Kaleun! If you do a search of the forums you will find a lot of info on both manual and auto targetting in GWX.

What realism options do you have turned on? I normally try to get as close to the target as I can (Usual firing range is about <1000m) to give my torps the best chance to get a hit. You also need to try to get into a position where the target will cross your bow or stern tubes at 90deg.

I normally lock the UZO or Periscope onto the target and then ask the WO for the solution. First get him to ID the ship and then get him to calculate the firing solution.

This is done with the target somewhere in 30deg either side of 0 or 180deg bearings.

Hit Q to open your tubes otherwise there will be a delay in firing of a few seconds. You can use the F6 screen to switch on salvo then hit Q to open all the tubes then switch salvo off so I can fire the torps individually.

As the ship approaches 15deg either side of 0 or 180 I get an updated solution from the WO and then place the centre line of the UZO or peri just ahead of the ships bow. As the bow crosses the centre line get another updated solution then wait until the foremast of the target lines up with the aiming point beore firing the first torp. I wait 10 seconds then fire the second torp. I almost always use 2 torps unless the target is either very large (more than 2 torps) or a small merchant (less than 2 torps).

Hope that helps.

I don't find that it takes any time for the WO to come up with a solution. It is almost always instant. (he must be very good at trig) :D