PDA

View Full Version : I'm telling you there is a sound contact!

Dr.KawleKawle
10-13-08, 10:52 PM
Now follow it!

Okay, here's the deal. I've had numerous occasions on which the sonar chap refused my orders to follow a sound contact :arrgh!:. I can clearly hear a sound contact on the sonar stack, if I ask him to report contacts he'll tell me about that contact, but when I order him to follow it, he promptly states "no sound contact, sir"

This can of course be quite an inconvenience when doing an attack and I don't want to have to go up-scope to see what bearing my target is at.

Is this just a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Lexandro
10-13-08, 11:14 PM
He follows nearest targets, if you dont have a target he shouts there is none. What I do is order for "nearest contact" and let him do a sweep. Once he calls the contact then I tell him "follow contact" and that usually works.

tale
10-14-08, 04:31 AM
Plenty of problems ¿bugs? with the sonar:

-You hear a contact but sonar man doesn't

-There's a ship nearby, may be very close, and it's a noisy one, but you don't hear anything in the sonar; sonar man does and even tells you where it is

-You want to follow a different contact but sonar man is stubborn and won't listen to you.

All in all, sonar is a very useful tool when it works ;)

kylania
10-14-08, 08:53 AM
The following a specific contact thing, especially in a convoy type situation, is rather difficult. If it's a warship, it's easier, but picking out a specific ship out of several is not going to happen if they are overlapping.

Rilder
10-14-08, 09:08 AM
This calls for a classic:

"BERNARRRRRRRRDDD" in a "khannnlike" voice.

SteamWake
10-14-08, 09:27 AM
At times you personally can pick up a sound contact, often its not quite loud enough to make out the 'type'. In that case the sound man doesent really consider it a contact yet. In these cases Ill follow and chase the contact myself trying to get closer.

He should pick it up as you get closer and the contact gets 'lounder' allowing an identification as to the type and its speed.

Have never really had a problem with 'follow closest contact' the problem is when I want him to follow a contact that is not the closest, say a troop ship in the middle of a convoy :doh:

Diopos
10-14-08, 09:58 AM
The "crew" reports identified contacts. Contacts, even loud ones, that are "unknown" are not reported! Also, faint/distant may not be even labelled as unknown while you can actually listen to them at a certain bearing and/or even have a green light flashing to indicate that there is something "out there". You can vision this type of situations as "rewards" to the player doing some "distant listening"o n his own rather then staying on high time compression and expect Ubisoft to do his long range sonar work for him!! :lol: :yep:

There are frustrating situations where you tail ship A and you get your report frequently and/or when it changes bearing and you ask for a closest contact (single) update and reports Ship B at bearing so and so "Long Range". Actually this is good as 1) you're tracking a ship -continuous updates, 2) can have a closest contact report for another ship - single update-and 3) you can follow a third contact (or more) on the sonar yourself! You have just entered the twilight zone, a modern sub in WWII! :doh: with the same sonar crew that may cosider a Fuso BB at 1000m, as an unknown contact and continue on with its coffee!:rotfl:

When the contact is a loud/near one but still listed as unknown you can try to "change" it to a defined target (warship or merchant) an send its bearing to the TDC (the arrow button). Sometime this allows you to track the target (if it is the closest one?)

I also think that auto reporting from stations is influenced by the general crew status (standard watch or on alert). Being on battlestations increases the station's response and performance, or so it seems ...

BTW I play Stock 1.4.

tomoose
10-14-08, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure but even if you hear it in sonar but haven't sent the data to the TDC, I think can affect the "performance" of your sonarman.

The little "pad" in the upper left of the sonar position with the little red triangle which shows "warship", "unknown" or "merchant" is what I'm referring to. Again, I'm not sure, I'll have to check but I think it makes a difference.