PDA

View Full Version : Voice Commands

Andy886
10-07-08, 06:20 PM
Hi am fairly new to Silent Hunter 4, and i was wondering if there was any way to use voice commands to control the sub?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Lord Kelvin
10-07-08, 06:31 PM
Nothing that I know of, except for using a program that binds voice commands to key presses, then you can use that program to make your crew do what you want, to a limit.

I must admit, the thought of saying "crash dive!" and having my crew verbally respond to it is very tempting...

frenzied
10-07-08, 06:46 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119430

That's the voice control mod.

wetwarev7
10-07-08, 08:35 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119430

That's the voice control mod.
That's a good one, and I think it's free. I personally use the VAC voice activated commands, but you gotta pay for it.
http://www.dwvac.com/

tomoose
10-08-08, 11:53 AM
I'll personally vouch for SHIV speech. It's not a mod but a standalone program so if you don't like it you can simply delete it without touching anything within your SHIV folders etc.

I find it an excellent immersion tool and don't play without it. It's pretty cool to say "Take her down" and have the crew react with "Set dive planes for normal dive...." etc

It does emulate keystrokes so you will see the cursor move around sometimes but that's a minor distraction. Overall it's a great addition for a free program.:up:

Andy886
10-08-08, 10:58 PM
Are there any detailed instuctions for newcomers like me? These seem to be sorta confusing.

Lord Kelvin
10-09-08, 01:02 AM
There's a readme inside the docs folder of the archive. That gives you pretty much what you need.

ridgewayranger
10-09-08, 04:52 AM
Hi,
Decided to try the speech program but not getting anywhere. I opened SHspeech2.54.zip with Winrar, but now find a folder with winrar files in it. What do I do with those, presumably expand them, but where to?
Help would be appreciated.
RR.

Defiance
10-09-08, 05:09 AM
I just tried the link frenzied put up and dl'ed it

After it dl's i unrar where it is (in my case desktop)

It creates a folder named "shSpeech"

In this folder are 4 folders (csv files-dist-docs-source)

Also 4 bat files (sh4speech stock-sh4speech stock left handed-sh4speech trigger maru-sh4speech trigger maru left handed)

So all's i can think is you got a corrupted dl

(OT, Good sign that memory (ram) is dying is fubar unrar'ing unzipping ;) )

Anyways, Try to dl again, If the same you best check winrar or whichever prog you're using

ridgewayranger
10-09-08, 07:18 AM
Hi Def,
Thanks for the interest. I did all that but found in Dist folder 3 more folders and Library.zip, which contains about 47 files. Are they O.K. where they are?
Sounds as if you may be a Guzz rating?
RR

Defiance
10-09-08, 07:42 AM
Hiya,

As far as i know (not tried this prog yet) once in the intitial folder you just click/run whichever bat file suits you

I just did a quick try as i'm running TMo i ran the sh4speech trigger maru bat, Then (i run vista x64) the built-in vista voice recognition doodahh kicks in, That's where i left it for now as i have to go out shortly

For XP i don't know if you have to dl something from M$ for voice recognition

So i would try this ............

Shove the unzipped/rar'ed intitial folder "shSpeech" folder where you want it out of sight, Then run whichever bat you need, If you're not using trigger maru overhauled run the "stock" or " the "stock-left handed"

From there on i have no idea until i get back tonight and have a go myself ;)

Seems straight forward but any probs maybe someone will reply if not i'll check back later and see if it's working for me

ridgewayranger
10-09-08, 11:08 AM
Thanks again Def. I have it working now. Next stop SH3. Wish me luck.
RR

Defiance
10-09-08, 04:12 PM
Goodluck

;)

Andy886
10-09-08, 06:11 PM
I am still very confused do i need to download somthing from Microsoft in order for this to work?

Lord Kelvin
10-09-08, 09:47 PM
What I did (running XP here):

1. Download the shSpeech .rar file

2. Extract it

3. Go to the docs folder and open the ReadMe, which pretty much gives you all the instructions you need (but if you're lazy, read on)

4. Go to the very first link to the MS website and download the 68 MB file (SpeechSDK51.exe) (third from the bottom of the list)

5. Install that

6. A bit more setup, but that's pretty much it