PDA

View Full Version : So how do you determine who gets that purple heart?

Zayphod
10-06-08, 12:57 PM
Especially if EVERYONE (or just about everyone) becomes highlighted once you pick up the medal? :o

For that matter, ANY medal (Navy Cross, etc) when TONS of your people light up for it?

Damn, I hate paperwork.......... :-?

SteamWake
10-06-08, 01:18 PM
Well when it comes to medals in general I sort of roleplay it.

After all it doesent make a tremdous amount of difference as to game play.

Ranking officers get them first.

Then its whomever contributed the most to the mission, lookouts, torpedo room folks, sonar / sound stack, etc.

Zayphod
10-06-08, 01:41 PM
Well when it comes to medals in general I sort of roleplay it.

After all it doesent make a tremdous amount of difference as to game play.

Ranking officers get them first.

Then its whomever contributed the most to the mission, lookouts, torpedo room folks, sonar / sound stack, etc.

Yeah, but that's what makes it a "rough" decision - I've got the best crew in this man's navy. :up:

Repairs are done double time (even when, on an earlier mission I thought I was ready for the big save-game file in the sky, my DC team managed to pull my fat out of the fire (or deep, as it were), my gun crew can pick a fly off your hat at 20 yards, deck gun crew seems to be able to load and fire faster than anyone out there, so yeah, there's a lot of good cheer for everyone.

That's what makes it hard to determine who gets and who doesn't. We're all a buncha deadly seadogs. :arrgh!:

Diopos
10-06-08, 02:10 PM
Pin it on Bernard and go on to the next mission!:yep:

Sailor Steve
10-06-08, 02:59 PM
Zayphod, are you saying everyone on your sub was wounded? If that's the case, then they would all get the Purple Heart.

Nisgeis
10-06-08, 03:45 PM
Zayphod, are you saying everyone on your sub was wounded? If that's the case, then they would all get the Purple Heart.

That's what should happen, but I think the game treats the Purple Heart like it's a discretionary medal to be awarded to whomever the captain sees fit.

SteamWake
10-06-08, 03:48 PM

That's what should happen, but I think the game treats the Purple Heart like it's a discretionary medal to be awarded to whomever the captain sees fit.

It treats all medals in this manner.

In fact the 'default' medals dont represent any 'real' medals at all.

Sailor Steve
10-06-08, 04:50 PM
Great. :damn:

I knew about all the medals looking like nothing from the real world, but that Purple Heart problem is annoying. Just the opposite from SH3, where you could only award the 'Wound Badge' to someone who was actually wounded, but if the medic completely healed him he was no longer wounded, so you wouldn't be given the option back at base.

Task Force
10-06-08, 04:59 PM
Easy, tell the medic to go to the torpedo room and stay there, If the dosent like that, lock him in a torpedo tube.;)

Seminole
10-06-08, 07:05 PM
I don't make any pretense about who gets what. I just toss them out to the closet availble recipient..sorta like feeding chickens their mash.

My crewmen have more medals than Boyscouts have merit badges. It is so ridiculious it doesn't merit much thought or attention IMHO.

SteamWake
10-06-08, 08:36 PM
I don't make any pretense about who gets what. I just toss them out to the closet availble recipient..sorta like feeding chickens their mash.

My crewmen have more medals than Boyscouts have merit badges. It is so ridiculious it doesn't merit much thought or attention IMHO.

Im not far from this ... see my response above. I do 'roleplay' it a little in as much the ranking officers get first 'peck' :rotfl:

aanker
10-06-08, 08:44 PM
I don't know - I think the crewmen who deserve them 'like' medals. It's crew management after all .... lol

The Purple Heart changes to the Bronze Star Medal after modding the medals which makes a lot more sense IMO. The crew or I haven't seen a Purple Heart since March 2008.

First I tried "Midnighte1977's" realistic Decorations:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=133310

Then in April I found Ducimus' medal fix on the kickinback forum
(http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php) in the "Duci's Scratchpad" section which is great and what I'm using now. Scroll down to Apr 01, 2008 11:27 pm.
http://forum.kickinbak.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=303
The box on the desk in the office doesn't work in my install but no 'biggie'

After this career is over there is a new medals fix by "CapnScurvy" that I want to try that includes the Navy Commendation Medal.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=142241

Anyway - I prefer handing out the Bronze Star Medal to the crew instead of the Purple Heart... especially if they haven't been injured.

Art

Leo_93
10-06-08, 09:14 PM
I suppose you could just try to remember who got wounded in the first place and give it to them. Also I thought I heard somewhere that giving out metals can somehow effect the crew members performance or something.

SteamWake
10-06-08, 09:46 PM
I suppose you could just try to remember who got wounded in the first place and give it to them. Also I thought I heard somewhere that giving out metals can somehow effect the crew members performance or something.

Here is a hint... the watch crew.

It really doesent matter if they were on watch or not. :doh:

Zayphod
10-07-08, 09:09 AM

Yup, that's exactly what happened. I took a DC and suddenly, everyone's injured (minor, mind you, just about everyone recovered within 5 minutes), so when it comes time for the purple heart, naturally, "everyone" qualified for it.

Unfortunately, I couldn't remember who was injured more (i.e., the people who took a few days to recover), since those would be the people who obviously deserved it more.

Zayphod
10-07-08, 09:25 AM

Here is a hint... the watch crew.

It really doesent matter if they were on watch or not. :doh:

Yeah, that's what I heard as well, i.e., it affects their morale, which affects their performance, etc (same for promotions, I guess).

BTW, shot down another search plane last night. Damn thing fell with a thunderous splash about 100 yards off my port beam. When I checked for wounded or damage status, saw that the guy with the successful kill at the AA gun station (aft) had a 'promotion' tag on his image.

I like this guy! No, not THAT way. I like the way he's a deadly shot. :doh:

Running low on ammo, heading back to the Solomon Islands (still).

tomoose
10-07-08, 12:24 PM
SHIV Commander would probably resolve this issue. Unfortunately it's not on the radar screen yet (pun intended). I'd have a crack myself but am unfamiliar with some of the modern programming languages (e.g. Delphi etc). We'll have to wait until one of the modder's has the time and inclination to address this type of thing.
I, for one, am willing to wait given the great mods that have been produced so far. An SHIV version of SH3 Commander would add SO much to the game on top of everything so far. I'm still sitting using Ver 1.4 with TMO simply because it's so enjoyable (and challenging), an SHIV Commander would be the icing on the cake.
:up:

doulos05
10-07-08, 01:30 PM
SHIV Commander would probably resolve this issue. Unfortunately it's not on the radar screen yet (pun intended). I'd have a crack myself but am unfamiliar with some of the modern programming languages (e.g. Delphi etc). We'll have to wait until one of the modder's has the time and inclination to address this type of thing.
I, for one, am willing to wait given the great mods that have been produced so far. An SHIV version of SH3 Commander would add SO much to the game on top of everything so far. I'm still sitting using Ver 1.4 with TMO simply because it's so enjoyable (and challenging), an SHIV Commander would be the icing on the cake.
:up:

BuPers is looking out for you Tomoose! Check out the mods forum for the [WIP]BuPers Crew Assigner thread. While currently I'm only working on crew rotation, once I've got that done I would like to consider expanding this program to cover all the things that would have been part of BuPers in WWII, including promotions and medal assignment, as well as the option to let people go for brief periods of time (say 3-6 months) for advanced training, allowing them to advance in a skill more quickly (and maybe even pass some of those advances off on people in their compartment over the course of a patrol or two). Keep an eye there for updates.

Sailor Steve
10-07-08, 03:19 PM
You can delete those, you know. Click the 'Edit' button, and 'Delete' is one of the options.

doulos05
10-08-08, 08:34 AM
You can delete those, you know. Click the 'Edit' button, and 'Delete' is one of the options.

Amazing!! Brilliant!! :up: :up: :up:

In all honesty, I totally missed the "Delete" button. :oops:

SteamWake
10-08-08, 09:31 AM
SHIV Commander would probably resolve this issue. Unfortunately it's not on the radar screen yet (pun intended).

A little off topic but...

If I remember corrrectly the person whom originally created SH3 Commander was brow beat by nit picks, complaints, and requests by the community at large and vowed 'never again'