PDA

View Full Version : New Moon Sucks

snwcrsh
09-23-08, 09:04 PM
Sorry for the little offensive title. But crossing the North Sea '39 at night is really boring. If there was moon, there's at least *something* to see. Mostly it's reflections of the moonlight on the water, but at least you can play around with external cameras.. and sometimes even part of your sub is "lit" - yay!

But New Moon sucks. BUT, I will not touch the TC button. We're at 54.303704,2.790527 now (just paste that into maps.google.com), so only about 30 more hours before we can expect to have any enemy ships in vincity. Probably the first one will be a fisherboat. Will be interesting to see whether I can restrain myself and the crew from using this as an torpedo exercise.

At least I can go sleep for now, If I'm very lucky I might encounter something tomorrow night.

U-23 (fictious) out.

kylania
09-23-08, 10:43 PM
Wow, 1x TC is pretty hardcore... But some people enjoy it! Good luck and watch for mines!

I was playing in 1944 recently and had a search plane with spotlights find me in the dead of night. That was scary.. these beams of light out of nowhere!

Jimbuna
09-24-08, 10:57 AM
Are you playing stock or one of the mods :hmm:

onelifecrisis
09-24-08, 12:32 PM
Jim, I think this is yet another complaint about the OLCE2 moon and (lack of) moonlight/reflection. Nothing new.
:|\\

snwcrsh
09-24-08, 12:49 PM
Haha, no it's not. I didn't even have a chance to notice it as I have seen no moon yet!

No Reflections!? OMG!! (just kidding, though. As I said, didn't know its not there. Probably I'll find the why and whines in the OLCE thread, have to read it up after I made fresh popcorn).

And kylania, I play with GWX2.1+OLCE2+OLCGUI1.2.6

Not with 100% realism though, there is some comfort I want to keep...

onelifecrisis
09-24-08, 01:12 PM
Oh, I get ya! Sorry, my mad. The title "new moon sucks" was a bit misleading... especially as so many others have complained about it. :doh: :ping:

snwcrsh
09-24-08, 01:16 PM
During my absence I missed that, too :cool:

but after you started that angle now, would it be too much to as for a quick explanation? realism? technical reasons?

don't worry, ill read the complete OLCE thread yet, I'll probably find the whole story there.

Jimbuna
09-24-08, 01:30 PM
Oh, I get ya! Sorry, my mad. The title "new moon sucks" was a bit misleading... especially as so many others have complained about it. :doh: :ping:

Okay, everyone relax, back to DEFCON 5 :up:

No!! Wait!! Did someone mention 'GWX'....back to DEFCON 1 :o

:lol: ;)

Brag
09-24-08, 01:34 PM
What's a moon? :roll:

onelifecrisis
09-24-08, 01:41 PM
@snwcrsh
Alright, here's the explanation...

SH3 can't properly do moonlight. What I mean is there is no directional light source attached to the moon. Stock SH3 and GWX both use a sort of "fake moonlight" which I didn't use in OLCE2 because:
(a) The fake moonlight doesn't come from the moon, it comes from under the ocean i.e. everything is lit from underneath; the WO, for example, looks like someone is shining a light under his chin. IMO it looks bad.
(b) The fake moonlight is "always on" whether the moon is out or not. If you assume that the moon is not out 50% of the time and there is cloud cover 50% of the time then that leaves 25% of the time, overall, where the moon is visible. Then factor into the equation the fact that the brightness of a half-moon is only 10% of the brightness of a full moon, IRL, and you're left with roughly one in ten nights, on average, where the moon is out and not obscured by clouds and full enough to provide illumination. Since the fake moonlight in SH3 can only be "always on" or "always off" I opted to have it always off, so that OLCE2 has the correct light levels for 9 out of every 10 nights. On the other 1 out of 10 nights, admittedly, it looks wrong.

As for the reflection, SH3 can do a basic sort of moon reflection but it's nothing like a real moon reflection. It's done differently to the sun reflection. It's just a flat, round, mirror image of the moon (distorted a bit by the water surface). In stock (and GWX) this looks okay-ish but in OLCE2 it looks very bad because I've reduced the size of the moon to the size it is IRL, and also because my reflections work differently.

I should put this in post #1 of my thread, it gets asked quite frequently. :hmm:

@Jim
I'M PERMANENTLY ON DEFCON ZERO! ;)

snwcrsh
09-24-08, 01:53 PM
Wow, thanks for the very comprehensive answer, OLC.

Ironically I just read all posts containing the word "moon" in the OLCE thread. But this answer is much better than the sum of what I found out there.

I never paid that much attention to the wrongness of the moonlight. Guess I just liked it because there just is not much else to see at night (except for burning ships :p).

Your points make total sense though and I'm quite positive that I will want to go without the reflections from now on (because, now that I know the *awful* truth, the romantic moonlight will never be the same again!)

I don't know if it's possible at all (I am not a modder at all, I only mess with files :>) but maybe someday someone can provide a more realistic moonlight reflection.

cheers,

Jimbuna
09-24-08, 02:02 PM

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/images/smilies/assshake.gif

Brag
09-24-08, 02:13 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Oh you moonie-moonie

Anvart
09-24-08, 03:05 PM
SH3 can't properly do moonlight. What I mean is there is no directional light source attached to the moon. Stock SH3 and GWX both use a sort of "fake moonlight" which I didn't use in OLCE2 because...
Yes, I think, that GWX-team have not anything new ...
I still in the middle of 2006 have made something similar ... Has created direct light object (MoonLight), has attached it to Moon object, has adjusted position MoonLight object, has attached to it InteriorLight controller and has adjusted light (color) for night and day ... has published screenshots, but i did not publish mod on the same reasons which you have described ...

P.S.
... And it was not worse than in SH4 now ... :rotfl:

Jimbuna
09-24-08, 03:17 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Oh you moonie-moonie

:lol: :up:

onelifecrisis
09-24-08, 03:32 PM
SH3 can't properly do moonlight. What I mean is there is no directional light source attached to the moon. Stock SH3 and GWX both use a sort of "fake moonlight" which I didn't use in OLCE2 because...
I still in the middle of 2006 have made something similar ... Has created direct light object (MoonLight), has attached it to Moon object, has adjusted position MoonLight object, has attached to it InteriorLight controller and has adjusted light (color) for night and day ... has published screenshots, but i did not publish mod on the same reasons which you have described ...

:o :rock:
Great work! At least, much better than I could do. :oops: Shame you can't turn it on/off (e.g. when the moon is not there) but it's still impressive. :up:

snwcrsh
09-24-08, 03:37 PM
I'm sorry OLC, but I think it's kinda ironic that this thread originally wasn't about the OCLE Moon Reflection but you accidentally hijacked it and now it is :-)

onelifecrisis
09-24-08, 03:44 PM
[oops, edited]

By all means take the thread back on topic and I'll shut up about the OLCE moon.

Watch out for mines...

Anvart
09-24-08, 04:21 PM

:o :rock:
Great work! At least, much better than I could do. :oops: Shame you can't turn it on/off (e.g. when the moon is not there) but it's still impressive. :up:
:rotfl:
It was very much for a long time ...
Now I switch on and off ... :hmm: ... only my desk lamp ... (for example) ...

Oberon
09-24-08, 05:10 PM
Why have I got the image of Prochnow standing on the conning tower muttering "Damn moon" just before attacking an outbound convoy in my head? ;)

Savour that new moon, it'll be your friend in night attacks ;)

snwcrsh
09-24-08, 05:20 PM
Huhm, this actually raises a question i never thought about ingame. does full moon actually "enhance" visibility of enemy ships (or does new moon decrease it for that matter)? or is it just what the weather report says regarding visibility?

codmander
09-25-08, 09:54 AM

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/images/smilies/assshake.gif

:rotfl:

danoh
09-25-08, 11:52 AM
The title "new moon sucks" was a bit misleading... especially as so many others have complained about it. :doh: :ping:

Actually it is not misleading at all. New Moon means no Moon, the start of the lunar month when the moon is between the Earth and the sun and is virtually invisible to the naked eye here on Earth. Since there is nothing to see the night view is quite boring.

Regardless of how poorly the game recreates moonlight, some of my favorite SHIII views are at night when the moon is up.