PDA

View Full Version : Don't harm the Frenchies

The_Blockade_Runner
09-22-08, 02:53 PM
This is the second time this has happened to me, and now I will never attack another French Merchant.

The first time was on GWX 2.0; This time it was 2.1

October 1939, Clearly in the time period at war with France, Just off the Southern English coast, I got a Merchant sound contact. It was daytime and I got to withing 800 meters of a small merchant I identified as French. It was a French flag. I sank it with one shot, and a green sunken ship Icon appears on the map.:o

Crap, I say to myself.:nope: This is the second time thats happened. The first time I thought maybe I mis identifed the ship, but no this was clearly french.

Im taking the safe road now and am not attacking any ships identified as french:yep:.

nirwana
09-22-08, 03:13 PM
There is a small window where french vessel are valid targets but oct 39 is too early.

meduza
09-22-08, 03:52 PM
The Franch are valid targets from 03/09/39-25/06/40, and 23/10/44-14/08/45.

Ping Panther
09-22-08, 04:19 PM
Another tough thing about getting a good I.D. on a ship is the 3-color similarities found in many flags & trying to be sure of what looks orange, red, blue or green. :huh: :damn:

"Cold hearted orb that rules the night... removes the colors from our sight... red is gray, and yellow, white, but we decide which is right, and which is... an illusion." ;)

GoldenRivet
09-22-08, 04:25 PM
Another tough thing about getting a good I.D. on a ship is the 3-color similarities found in many flags & trying to be sure of what looks orange, red, blue or green. :huh: :damn:

"Cold hearted orb that rules the night... removes the colors from our sight... red is gray, and yellow, white, but we decide which is right, and which is... an illusion." ;)
Nice :up: one of my favorites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma3r30zz2fY&feature=related

(listen after 5:40 guys)

Brag
09-22-08, 05:31 PM
Ya don't wanna sink ships carrying good wine and cheese. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

difool2
09-22-08, 07:28 PM

Yeah, I fell victim to that once. Saw what I thought was a French flag (early '40 IIRC) at night, relied only on what I could see in the scope (no external closeup view), let 3 torps loose. It was Belgian-in poor light the two flags look virtually identical-something about the limitations of the color cones in our eyes in low light levels. Of course if I had paid attention to the fact that the bugger was lit all up like a Christmas tree...

nirwana
09-22-08, 08:00 PM
The Franch are valid targets from 03/09/39-25/06/40, and 23/10/44-14/08/45. I wouldnt rely to much on the info in F1. Since sunk a french med cargo SE of Brest getting a malus for downing a neutral i refrain from sinking french units until they allies with the US and Brits late in the war.

:smug: U could test it by giving it a chance to ram u. If its a neutral it will do anything to avoid putting a dent in ure hull.

antikristuseke
09-22-08, 08:57 PM
Ya don't wanna sink ships carrying good wine and cheese. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

After suffering from a wine hangover a week ago, I certainly do.:88)

Ping Panther
09-23-08, 10:07 AM
Achtung Kapitänleutnant!
BdU & the German dept. of naval engineering proudly unveils the "Korkenzieher Scope".
Early sea trails of this latest U-boat component; as depicted below, have been proven effective.
The BdU has commenced to order the retrofit all U-boats upon arrival to their home ports.
Express orders have been announced for all boats assigned to regular patrols of the French convoy routes & perimeters.
We appreciate your continued cooperation with this immediate concern to "uncork" the bottleneck of suspected Allied merchant ships of champagnes, corks & ping pong balls.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/EricWK/SilentHunter-Post/CorkIT-1.jpg

Shadowblade
09-23-08, 10:57 AM
:lol: BdU should also reveal its cost in renown and days in dock :)

bigboywooly
09-23-08, 12:44 PM
Unless you have a mod added that changes the defside.cfg then France IS an enemy of Germany till the armastice signed in 1940

So am guessing mis identification of the flag
:yep:

Kielhauler1961
09-23-08, 04:03 PM
Achtung Kapitänleutnant!
BdU & the German dept. of naval engineering proudly unveils the "Korkenzieher Scope".
Early sea trails of this latest U-boat component; as depicted below, have been proven effective.
The BdU has commenced to order the retrofit all U-boats upon arrival to their home ports.
Express orders have been announced for all boats assigned to regular patrols of the French convoy routes & perimeters.
We appreciate your continued cooperation with this immediate concern to "uncork" the bottleneck of suspected Allied merchant ships of champagnes, corks & ping pong balls.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/EricWK/SilentHunter-Post/CorkIT-1.jpg

Holy Caroly! Where can I get me one of those...??? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: David Bushnell, eat your heart out!:rock:

Sailor Steve
09-23-08, 11:44 PM
Good one, Kielhauler!:rock:

Red Heat
09-26-08, 06:32 AM

True...i full agree with that, Kaleu... :lol: