PDA

View Full Version : New at the SHIII

Ala13_Kokakolo
09-22-08, 04:50 AM
Hi lads,

I just bought a copy of SHIII and after patched I have download and install the GWX. The game looks superb but extremely technical and difficult. I really enjoy it but it seems i will never be able to fire torpedoes on manual... seems impossible. Anyway. My machine is a bit old now and I would like to know if there is a way to speed up a little the loading time of the game. Getting the splash screen takes me 3 minutes, wich is not bad, but loading a saved career takes me at least about 7 minutes or more wich is a looooong wait. Is there any way to do it quicker? (My framerate is solid while playing and the stock sh3 was loading in average time.)

Cheers

onelifecrisis
09-22-08, 05:00 AM
Welcome!

Long load times are just something we all have to live with (especially those of us who play GWX) due to SH3's rather silly way of loading the game. You'll get used to hitting LOAD and then going and making a tea/coffee, watching the news, reading the newspaper, getting a new job, getting married, watching your kids grow up, retiring... and then sitting down at your computer again and finding the game has nearly finished loading.

Really, you do get used to it. ;)

Manual targetting, in contrast, takes some getting used to. I played the game for months before switching to manual targetting. So do many others. But once you've gone to 100% realism (no external camera and manual targetting) you find you're literally playing a whole new game - and a much better one. :D

irish1958
09-22-08, 07:16 AM
Welcome Aboard, Matey.
The GWX manual is a terrific document; I suggest you read it as it will answer all your questions and more.
In brief, load only the campaign you need, not the combined one and
read the appendix on manual targeting.

ReallyDedPoet
09-22-08, 07:18 AM
Welcome to SUBSIM Ala13_Kokakolo :yep::up:

RDP

kylania
09-22-08, 10:03 AM
Welcome to SubSim and Silent Hunter III! :) As the others have said, GWX loads slowly since the game loads *everything* at once. It's well worth it though and about the only excuse I have to do chores! heh

Hanomag
09-22-08, 10:05 AM
Welcome Aboard Herr Kaluen!!! :arrgh!:

Laufen zum Ziel
09-22-08, 11:29 AM
Welcome aboard - You will soon become
an addict with no cure.

Sailor Steve
09-22-08, 01:04 PM
WELCOME ABOARD!:sunny:

Yes, slow loading times are something we all have to live with in a huge supermod like GWX. Did you know that Stock SH3 takes up 2.4 GB on my hard drive, but with GWX installed it's 6.6 GB? GWX by itself is almost twice the size of SH3! Of course I've got a lot of music in the gramaphone; that's a part of it.

But, as has been said, it's well worth it.

Jimbuna
09-22-08, 02:01 PM
Welcome aboard Kaleun...SINK EM ALL!! http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Dietrich
09-24-08, 04:54 AM
My machine is a bit old now and I would like to know if there is a way to speed up a little the loading time of the game. Getting the splash screen takes me 3 minutes, wich is not bad, but loading a saved career takes me at least about 7 minutes or more wich is a looooong wait.
There are two things here... loading the game (i.e. from desktop to the main-menu). For this you can remove the movies to make things a little faster, but that's about it (for me, it saves clicking through them, which is nice).

The other thing is loading a mission (whether saved career, single-player mission or multiplayer). For a full-blown career, there is nothing you can do about it. If you want all the features, you need all the loading time.

If you are only playing single-player or multiplayer stand-alone missions, then there are various mods and other things you can do to cut down load times (sometimes making the game load faster than the stock game). However, then you cannot play careers/campaigns anymore, which (with the exception of some online groups) is usually why people are playing the game in the first place.

Probably the only easy thing to do for the campaign/career player is cut down on the harbour traffic. One of the GWX mods is Harbour-Traffic-Lite (or something like that). This might help you.

nikbear
09-24-08, 01:30 PM
Welcome to the board Ala13:up:such is modernlife that 7mins is seen as a long time:nope:use the time in a constructive way,get yourself your fave drink,find your chapter in your new U-boat book;)basiclly get in the U-boat commander zone,get in the mood to take the fight to the enemy,immerse yourself into the game:yep:you'll be suprised how quick the loading time goes and how much you'll be looking forward to the GWX experience,and as for manual targeting,you will crack it,it is very complicated(I don't even bother with it sometimes:oops:)but until you do carry on regardless,and enjoy the experience your way,sink'em all:arrgh!:

Piggy
09-24-08, 01:53 PM
Welcome aboard, Im new to SH3 as well. Played stock for a week and then went to GWX2.1... so much better but alas the loading times we just have to live with.

Like others have said, hit the load button and then make a cup of joe or tea, look through a sub book etc...

The wait is worth it.

Im playing at 84% right now, still havent really gotten into the manual targetting yet but Im nearing the point where I need more of a challenge.

Good hunting.