PDA

View Full Version : Docking

PappyCain
09-21-08, 10:36 PM
I was curious as to how many here dock their boat in a pen before exiting a patrol. I enjoy the whole experience to include backin down the boat into a pen.

Of course in RL they used tug assist and lines and capstans and bollards and cleats and camels - so backing in is a treat without. You can damage the boat if you kiss the concrete so be careful as it is a shame to make it home and ding it.

S'
PC

kylania
09-21-08, 10:57 PM
I filmed my old U-boot, U-560, returning to base after a patrol once. All the way into the pen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUgovl1_n5E

Reece
09-21-08, 11:16 PM
To me it depends on how good the patrol was & how far I have to travel back, if it's a long way & I have no Torps left I usually just 'Esc' and 'End Patrol' otherwise yes I go all the way back and dock.:yep:

Nicolas
09-21-08, 11:37 PM
I dock like Reece, if im happy with the patrol. and if i have time. I like going to port and park the sub there with the music and that. Usually i go flank until near the dock and then back emergency. Only once i crashed to the wall :88)

Pisces
09-22-08, 07:18 AM
I go dockside where I started the patrol and close enough to throw mooring lines. Except if it's night, then I'm not as confident and punch out when my uboot is infront but not inside the dock/penn.

meduza
09-22-08, 08:11 AM
Isn't there a bug in SHIII causing you to lose all the tonage and renown if you end your patrol near the starting point? :hmm:
I think I remember reading about it on this forum...

Pisces
09-22-08, 12:14 PM
Isn't there a bug in SHIII causing you to lose all the tonage and renown if you end your patrol near the starting point? :hmm:
I think I remember reading about it on this forum...Maybe , but not on my watch sofar.

FIREWALL
09-22-08, 12:38 PM
Has never happened to me.

But I have a question.

If in a Single Mission and you complete or not and go to friendly port can you get refueled and supplied with torps and continue ?

Sailor Steve
09-22-08, 12:40 PM
I dock like Reece, if im happy with the patrol. and if i have time. I like going to port and park the sub there with the music and that. Usually i go flank until near the dock and then back emergency. Only once i crashed to the wall :88)
:yep: :yep: :yep:

I always pull into the pier with the pretty nurses. I go in bow first, figuring that the dockyard guys get paid to park the boat in the pen for me.

I'm a stickler for maritime law, though, so I never go faster than five knots when inside the lighthouse barrier, and never approach or leave the dock at more than one knot.

Jimbuna
09-22-08, 02:10 PM
To me it depends on how good the patrol was & how far I have to travel back, if it's a long way & I have no Torps left I usually just 'Esc' and 'End Patrol' otherwise yes I go all the way back and dock.:yep:

Ditto....on the odd occasion I get to play a patrol :-?

The_Blockade_Runner
09-22-08, 02:37 PM
Since GWX 2.1 took out the renown bonus for going back to port yourself, Ive been exiting my patrols more and more lately as soon as my last torpedo is extinguished.

I just can't bring myself to do all that extra work for no reward. Chalk it up to laziness.:nope:

Task Force
09-22-08, 02:57 PM
I dock my boat, kind of fun if ya think about it.;)

Brag
09-22-08, 05:27 PM
I dock my boat. Leaving and entering harbor is the only time one gets to practice seamanship in the game. I also like to listen to the bell bouys as I pass them. :D

meduza
09-22-08, 06:31 PM
I think I remember reading about it on this forum... Hmm, I searched the forum and couldn't find anything about it. I guess my mind played tricks on me :huh:. And no, I haven't been drinking :rotfl:

Anyway, I don't quite dock my boat, but I usually sail into the port and enjoy the view, and safety of the friendly waters. Entering the port gives me a sense I accomplished something - if nothing else, staying alive. :D

Sometimes I end the patrol in front of the port, but I never "teleport" myself home from half across the ocean.

Reece
09-22-08, 08:31 PM
Well part of a patrol is the scenery!:yep: The distant foggy hills & trees, the waves, the sound of the wind, sunrise & sunset, at times I feel that I'm really there, and if it's been a good patrol I just have to go back, dock, & see the cheering crowd, and the nurses!:smug::up:

Pisces
09-23-08, 04:34 AM
Don't forget those flakgun target-practise drones. ... But environmetalists might call them seagulls instead. ;)

Nicolas
09-25-08, 05:45 PM
I'm a stickler for maritime law, though, so I never go faster than five knots when inside the lighthouse barrier, and never approach or leave the dock at more than one knot.

I know, in real will probably be a crash, because a back emegency can desestabilize the ship to one side or the other, very scary to see a wall coming onboard a ship: I have a sunfish (like a laser) and i dont would like to smash it to port or other anchored boats :lol:

Blacklight
09-25-08, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by meduza

The bug you're probably thinking of is the bug where if you save your game within like 5 miles or so of your starting base, sometimes when you start the saved game again, you'll find all the boats parked at the base as sunken, burning wrecks. There is no problem ending your mission in or around the base. The problem only occasionally pops up when saving.

FIREWALL
09-25-08, 06:09 PM
Has never happened to me.

But I have a question.

If in a Single Mission and you complete or not and go to friendly port can you get refueled and supplied with torps and continue ?

It's been a few days without an answer so I'll try again :D

Sailor Steve
09-25-08, 08:32 PM
I use single missions to practice with. Why would you want to do that?

My answer, obviously, is "I don't know".

onelifecrisis
09-25-08, 08:40 PM
Don't forget those flakgun target-practise drones. ... But environmetalists might call them seagulls instead. ;)

Can you actually shoot them? It would be hilarious if you could! :D

meduza
09-26-08, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by meduza

The bug you're probably thinking of is the bug where if you save your game within like 5 miles or so of your starting base, sometimes when you start the saved game again, you'll find all the boats parked at the base as sunken, burning wrecks. There is no problem ending your mission in or around the base. The problem only occasionally pops up when saving. No, that's not what I had in mind. And I just find a reference in Comunity Manual (http://alexbret.perso.cegetel.net/index4875.php) to the bug I was talking about:
When returning from a mission in campaign mode, if you get too close to the starting point of a mission (dock)... you will not recieve any credit for anything you accomplished and you will not be awarded any points. According to the Community manual, this bug is still present after 1.4 patch, but since no one here experienced it (knock on wood :D), maybe it was fixed by GWX or some other supermod. :hmm:

Jimbuna
09-26-08, 12:45 PM
Not aware of any such problem or fix.

Saving a game has always carried a certain element of risk in SH3 http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

_Seth_
09-26-08, 02:39 PM
Well, i have to admit; It's more realistic & scenic when you end your patrols at the dock, but it's sometimes very easy to skip all that ocean & possible enemies with just the "Esc" key... :lol: I think i can say that i'm using both options.. :yep:

geosub1978
09-26-08, 03:12 PM
I always dock the ship, except if I have the well known bad ether! If you have desided to keep some torpedoes for the voyage back you will certainly find something on the way! If you could handle the port-starboard propeller separately would be more fun but again...hardcoded!:damn:

_Seth_
09-26-08, 04:24 PM
... If you could handle the port-starboard propeller separately would be more fun but again...hardcoded!:damn:
I share your frustration, mate. I wish this could be implemented in the game. (Or that the dev's could make it easier for the community to fix such things...):yep:

Murr44
09-26-08, 04:49 PM
I used to always go all the way back to base after a patrol now I usually end the patrol about 20 km away.

SeaWolf U-57
09-26-08, 09:08 PM

yes that has happend to me when i have returned to dock

PappyCain
09-27-08, 09:06 AM
Fellow 100% Reprobates,

So far I have been able to dock my boat inside a pen after 19 patrols with no bug BUT with that said, interestingly I found this '25km' note and the sum total of 'settings' on wiki and paste here:

Please note that when playing at 100% Realism, you must return to base by keeping enough fuel in store to traverse back to within 25km of your home port. Once you are within 25km, press Escape and select the option to "Dock at [Port]".

Limited batteries - When selected, the batteries that power your sub's electric engines are limited. This, in turn, limits the amount of time you can stay submerged before the batteries must be recharged. (5%)
Limited compressed air - When selected, your sub uses an amount of compressed air to suface, blowing air to the ballast tanks. If you exhaust your supply, you will no longer be able to surface again. You must surface your sub periodically to resupply your sub with compressed air. Also if your compressor is damaged no more compressed-air will be available. (1%)
Limited O2 - When selected, you must surface your sub periodically to resupply your sub with fresh air. (6%)
Limited fuel - When selected, your sub has limited fuel, and, therefore, limited range. You must return to base before your fuel supply is exhausted. There are no refueling subs in the game. You will get a warning during a patrol when you have used 50% of your fuel. (6%)
Realistic vulnerability - When selected, your sub is more easily damaged. (5%)
Realistic repair time - When selected, damage repairs will take longer. (8%)
Realistic ship sinking time - When selected, ships that you attack will take longer to sink. (2%)
Manual targeting system - When selected, you must enter the appropriate information into the TDC when firing torpedoes. You can not simply point the UZO or periscope at a target and fire. You can still request a solution from your Weapons Officer, unless the No Weapons Officer assistance option below is also disabled. (15%)
No map contact update - When selected, hydrophone and visual contacts will not appear on the navigation map. Radio contacts, however, will periodically appear on the map. (12%)
Realistics sensors - When selected, the effectiveness of your hydrophones and radar is reduced. (6%)
Dud torpedoes - When selected, your torpedoes will periodically malfunction. Malfunctioning torpedoes may either detonate too early, or not detonate at all. (4%)
Realistic reload - When selected, it will take a considerable amount of time to reload your torpedo tubes. (6%)
No event camera - When selected, the event camera is disabled. You will not see special events such as torpedo impacts or ships sinking. (3%)
No external view - When selected, the external camera (hotkey F12) is disabled. (8%)
No stabilize view - When selected, your targeting optics (ie. the UZO or the attack periscope) will bob realistically on the waves. This will make targeting in rough seas much more difficult. (5%)
No noise meter - When selected, the noise meter, which gives an indication of how detectable your u-boat is at the moment, will be disabled. (2%)
No Weapon Officer assistance - When selected, the Weapon Officer will not identify targets or calculate firing solutions for you. You must determine range, speed, and AOB by yourself. (6%)Retrieved from "http://mysh3.info/shiii/index.php?title=Realism_Settings (http://alexbret.perso.cegetel.net/index4b27.html?title=Realism_Settings)"

Madox58
09-27-08, 10:04 AM
@ FIREWALL
:hmm:
I'd say it's something you need to test out for us.
:yep:

I don't see why you couldn't do this,
BUT!
With SH3 you never know until you try.
:lol:

Jimbuna
09-27-08, 03:53 PM
@PappyCain

Or just simply alter everyone to 0% and have one set at 99 or 100%

All the toys whilst still at full realism setting http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/bubblegum2.gif