PDA

View Full Version : Bad Ram = Ctd

FIREWALL
09-19-08, 11:17 AM
Thought I'd post this here but did the same thing in SH4 AND il2 1946 and GTR2.

I first swapped out vid card 7800 gt 512 mb to backup 7600gs 512mb.

Still CTD when things got busy.

Friend brought over 4 1gb ddr sticks and no ctd.

Now it's just a matter of trial and error which one or more are bad.

I'm posting this so noboby else goes thru this hair pulling experience.

Just because I had 4 gigs of ram running dual channel don't mean squat if one or more sticks are bad.

When I booted up or ran BELARC or looked in system it showed 4 gigs.

I guess when running game and lots of things are happening graphically a stick blows a fuse or sumpthin. :p

I recently replaced all 4 when I was haveing this problem with GWX 2.1.

I posted this long winded thread so it might save someone else this headache.

Btw I want to again thank Privateer for past (2.1) and present help trouble shooting this problem.

This just proves " If it can go wrong it will at the worst possible time " ( IN THE MIDDLE OF A FECKIN CONVOY ATTACK ) :rotfl:

GoldenRivet
09-19-08, 11:21 AM
wow... that sounds like a helluva thing to chase down.

you followed that rabbit deep into the hole :up:

thanks for the heads up

Subtype Zero
09-20-08, 08:11 PM
I replaced a motherboard and almost bought a new video card for what turned out to be one bad stick of RAM. :down:

bert8for3
09-21-08, 06:11 AM
Good to keep in mind for checking, thanks :up:

Weigh-Man
09-21-08, 08:30 AM
I had a similar problem with 4 gig dual channel, I used this http://www.memtest86.com/download.html and found a problem with 1 stick. Took me ages track the problem down, I was just getting random BSOD's all the time.

Replaced the faulty stick and no problems since.

Nicolas
09-21-08, 12:05 PM
I had that problem with another pc, sometimes is caused by the timings in the bios setup, i fixed the ctd (blue screens?) changing the memory clock to other values in the bios setup.

Pisces
09-21-08, 04:45 PM
I guess that's the downside of having that much RAM, .. more chance of a tiny fault that ruins the rest of it. I know that aggravation of testing memory banks. Last time I've spend a whole week testing different sticks in different combinations in different bank positions. As it turned out it was the CPU or mainboard that got fried. :damn: :damn: :damn: