PDA

View Full Version : Argh... 2+ weeks of heavy seas, fog & rain...

Piggy
09-18-08, 10:57 AM
Ive been off NW Ireland/rockall for 16 days now, the weather has been nothing but very heavy seas, pea soup fog and heavy rain... It was pretty much my whole night (3hrs or so) of 1024x waiting for this weather to clear. :damn:

I know weather is odd in SH3 but this is the longest its ever been in my short career of SH3. I swear its stuck in some sort of loop. Havent spotted a single ship obviousy, not that I could even hit it in this weather, no radio reports, nothing.

My crew are going crazy and so am I!

Stupid North Atlantic November weather.....

Seaveins
09-18-08, 11:03 AM
Try leaving the area for a while, Piggy. I don't know if it has been coincidence but I have had luck with patrolling another area hundreds of km away and returning to find better weather.

onelifecrisis
09-18-08, 11:13 AM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=130147

Piggy
09-18-08, 11:31 AM
Hmmm, not sure what the final outcome was in that thread onelifecrisis.

Im using GWX2.1, so it has the RWF included, do I need to change something with SHC, because I dont have that installed, yet.

I tried leaving that area and heading down to the bay of biscay, but it seems the entire sea around the british isle's is like this. I gave up and went to bed, it was getting late anyway.

sunvalleyslim
09-18-08, 11:37 AM
Piggy,
If you're in that kind of weather, be careful of a collision with another ship. Slow down and dive periodically to check for ships in the area. I have lost boats a number of times in fog and heavy seas. They were on top of us before the lookouts could find them........................Good Hunting

difool2
09-18-08, 11:45 AM
The weather facts, as I understand it:

#1 The weather is set to randomly change within a certain interval. This interval is primarily correlated with the seasons, such that the weather change window will be MUCH shorter in the summer than it will be in the winter. In the summer you might get a change once every 16-32 hours, but in the winter the window might be 3-4 days. There's been some modding done here (primarily with the "WeatherRandInterval" parameter in the 3 campaign files, plus some other stuff), but overall the remedies that people have come up with have been, in the end analysis, of rather limited benefit. SH4's weather, by comparison, is much more organic and the window is much shorter (8-15 hours or so).

#2 The above weather window will reset each time you load a save. If for example you are sailing around in the North Atlantic in the winter, spend 3 real time hours in the evening playing 2.5 game days, save, go to bed, & reload the next night, the interval will reset back to zero, which means you will have to sail around for at least 3 game days (after you reload) before the weather may change (and that might just mean that just the wind drops or increases). If you never play one session which is longer than the default window for that season, the weather will never change during your patrol, and you'll get endless storms (or whatever).

There's been conflicting reports about whether high time compression values cause the weather to "stick".

HTH.

Piggy
09-18-08, 11:51 AM
Piggy,
If you're in that kind of weather, be careful of a collision with another ship. Slow down and dive periodically to check for ships in the area. I have lost boats a number of times in fog and heavy seas. They were on top of us before the lookouts could find them........................Good Hunting

Yeah I do this often, in fact when the weather is this bad I usually stay submerged for as long as possible to conserve fuel, or I just stop and wait it out.

But what you mentioned reminded me of a patrol I had a while back. I was cruising along at fairly high TC when the lookout said ship spotted. I popped up to the conning tower, didnt see anything right away due to the storm but I heard something.... Looked to my right, just passing by, maybe 200 yards off was a destroyer. I guess I was too close for his guns or he didnt see me at the time because no shots were fired.... yikes, scared the hell out me. Dive! Managed to get away but still, that was close. (come to think of it, I should have stayed surfaced and gone to flank, I could have lost him in the fog before he made his turn... next time.)

Piggy
09-18-08, 11:58 AM
The weather facts, as I understand it:

#1 The weather is set to randomly change within a certain interval. This interval is primarily correlated with the seasons, such that the weather change window will be MUCH shorter in the summer than it will be in the winter. In the summer you might get a change once every 16-32 hours, but in the winter the window might be 3-4 days. There's been some modding done here (primarily with the "WeatherRandInterval" parameter in the 3 campaign files, plus some other stuff), but overall the remedies that people have come up with have been, in the end analysis, of rather limited benefit. SH4's weather, by comparison, is much more organic and the window is much shorter (8-15 hours or so).

#2 The above weather window will reset each time you load a save. If for example you are sailing around in the North Atlantic in the winter, spend 3 real time hours in the evening playing 2.5 game days, save, go to bed, & reload the next night, the interval will reset back to zero, which means you will have to sail around for at least 3 game days (after you reload) before the weather may change (and that might just mean that just the wind drops or increases). If you never play one session which is longer than the default window for that season, the weather will never change during your patrol, and you'll get endless storms (or whatever).

There's been conflicting reports about whether high time compression values cause the weather to "stick".

HTH.

Well #2 really sucks, because I did save and go to bed, I have an earlier save I can use. Either way it looks like Im going to be stuck with this weather when I reload for another 3 days at least.

I always use high compression, mostly 512 & 1024, especially when the weather is bad... but this is the first time its ever lasted this long by far.

So in the end there isnt much I can do....

BTW: The weather was perfect when I left port, and I used 512 or 1024 all the way to Rockall, so the weather did change for me under high TC.

Kapt Z
09-18-08, 07:50 PM
[quote=sunvalleyslim]
But what you mentioned reminded me of a patrol I had a while back. I was cruising along at fairly high TC when the lookout said ship spotted. I popped up to the conning tower, didnt see anything right away due to the storm but I heard something.... Looked to my right, just passing by, maybe 200 yards off was a destroyer. I guess I was too close for his guns or he didnt see me at the time because no shots were fired.... yikes, scared the hell out me. Dive! Managed to get away but still, that was close. (come to think of it, I should have stayed surfaced and gone to flank, I could have lost him in the fog before he made his turn... next time.)

The exact same thing happened on my last patrol! I was in a IID, winter '41 off the Irish coast. Woke me up fast.:huh:

StarLion45
09-18-08, 09:31 PM
:D Hi everyone!
In the winter 1941/42 , a terrible winterstorm raced in that area:yep:
I don't know that you are in 1941-42 ?
But the weather can be your friend :yep: If there's a fog and rain,
just raise like hell to the convoy and just turn of your engine and sit and wait till the convoy comes to you:) They have trouble seeing you in the fog .
and then a jucy targets comes to you:cool: