PDA

View Full Version : What is a good method to plot a ships course using the gramophone?

Flamingboat
09-18-08, 09:42 AM
For example I am submerged when I pick up a contact via audio and I can't see it, what is a good way to plot the course? In SH4 I ping it with sonar every few minutes and draw a line that is the ships course and intercept. "ship, closing at long range at 10 degrees is a bit vague.

Kruger
09-18-08, 09:46 AM
Sorry...the gramophone ? :o

onelifecrisis
09-18-08, 09:48 AM
This is more of a "by the way" than a complete answer, but you can ping it in SH3 once the technology arrives (1942 IIRC). :yep:

Sailor Steve
09-18-08, 11:44 AM
Yep, most u-boats for most of the war didn't have active sonar. They couldn't ping and get a precise range and bearing. They had to get close enough to see the target, and then get the information visually.

Task Force
09-18-08, 11:47 AM
Gamaphone = music

Hydrophone = listening equipment for a sub.

(just joaking ok)

kylania
09-18-08, 12:20 PM
If you're playing with map updates on the ships position will be at the end of the sound contact line. So you can simply plot it's course and location from that.

Otherwise... well, enjoy this:

Plotting a contact-course only using hydrophones! (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/7821098535?r=7821098535#7821098535)

That'll get you a good plot using only the hydrophones and a spectacular amount of drawing and trig. :p

Tango589
09-18-08, 12:23 PM
To use the gramaphone to locate a ship, you need to get Bernard standing up on deck with the ships record collection. He then frisbees the records out into the sea. You have to listen for the sound of of your favourite LP hitting the side of a ship. The angle Bernard was facing is the ships bearing and the length of time between Bernard flinging the LP into the briney and the clunk of LP against steel gives you an idea of the ships range.

BTW to be really effective, you need a considerable collection of records.

Something suitable is available here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128841

papa_smurf
09-18-08, 01:03 PM
To use the gramaphone to locate a ship, you need to get Bernard standing up on deck with the ships record collection. He then frisbees the records out into the sea. You have to listen for the sound of of your favourite LP hitting the side of a ship. The angle Bernard was facing is the ships bearing and the length of time between Bernard flinging the LP into the briney and the clunk of LP against steel gives you an idea of the ships range.

Thats some throw Bernards got:yep:

Piggy
09-18-08, 01:17 PM
Dont mean to take this OT but being fairly new to this game/forum who is Bernard and what is the deal with all the jokes about "him"?

Anyone else I should know about?

On topic, with map contacts on (which is the way i play) I make a mark at the end of the contact line, wait a few minutes (or use TC) and make another mark, do this again with enough space between the marks to be able to draw a decent line (long enough to stretch out) across all of them. This gives you a rough idea of its course for an intercept point to get a visual.

FIREWALL
09-18-08, 01:21 PM
Bernard plays Classic Rock & Roll on the Gramophone to lure in British ships. :D

Task Force
09-18-08, 01:26 PM
check out dowlys Humerious SH3 screen shot thread. thats where bernard started.
Bernard simply is the one guy you dont want on your boat. he is the downfall of the entire german U boat waffe.;)

kylania
09-18-08, 01:27 PM
Dont mean to take this OT but being fairly new to this game/forum who is Bernard and what is the deal with all the jokes about "him"?

Anytime anything at all goes wrong, it was Bernard's fault. :yep:

Piggy
09-18-08, 01:43 PM
check out dowlys Humerious SH3 screen shot thread. thats where bernard started.
Bernard simply is the one guy you dont want on your boat. he is the downfall of the entire german U boat waffe.;)

Yeah Ive seen that thread :lol: , was just curious how it started.

Flamingboat
09-18-08, 03:28 PM
I edited my post to say hydrophone. Whoops.

mayandlex
09-18-08, 04:13 PM
Hi Piggy, one small system I use often when trying to intercept a ship from a hydrophone bearing is to initially head your boat along the line (you must be submerged) and observe whether the line appears to move over time to the left or right. If say the line is moving to the left then alter course to bring it a bit further to the left,( you will soon become good at this) When the hydrophone line does not move at all relative to your boat over time then you are on a "collision course", the only factor then is to make sure you are closing on the target and not being left behind your sound man should tell you this.
Cheers

Sailor Steve
09-18-08, 05:02 PM
Bernard started as the lead-in to the 'Humourous Pictures' thread by Dowly, and has since turned into the catch-all screw-up we blame for things going wrong that are actually our own fault.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=84773&highlight=bernard

Brag
09-18-08, 05:48 PM

Something suitable is available here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128841

Harr. harrrfff. harrrrr!
Good one :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Pisces
09-19-08, 05:36 AM
I edited my post to say hydrophone. Whoops.Well, the thread name is still a reason to :rotfl: .

I guess the grammaphone rotating disk and needle arm could be mistaken for a maneuvering board chart... if you are really really drunk with 'Schnaps'.

That link provided above is a good way find target course initially, then run parallel to the course to get it's range. But I don't like it because those large slender triangles are difficult to make accurately. The following link is to a handheld tool (needs cut/paste/lamminating) for getting AOB/course that I once found (ages ago) for Sh1, which uses only 3 bearings taken with periscope or hydrophone. Also has it's problems with accuracy, but much simpler than drawing. Just subtracting bearings and aligning the numbers. Range (and rough speed) is found in the same way as in Mittelwaechter's procedure. Project a hypothetical position a certain time in the future making a 4th bearing line, move perpendicular to last real bearing and fast, then do a hydro check at that time in the future and see where the real hydro bearing crosses the hypothetical one. That's the true range (as far as accuracy alows)

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=875260#post875260

I promised myself I would send my Kaleun to 'Uboot-Offizier-Schule' (uboot officer school) to give a couple of lectures (make tutorials on this particular subject and regular intercepting/maneuvering), before he get's out again. However, I seem to be getting hooked again on Falcon 4.0/Redviper so that may not be any time soon.

Hitman
09-19-08, 06:57 AM
Hey I was going as moderator to edit the thread title but then I thought "What the hell, I bet many more people will want to have a look at it and reply this way" :rotfl:

Nah, Flamingboat it's your thread if you want me to change the title, PM me and I'll do it ASAP :up:

Chisum
09-19-08, 07:10 AM
What is a good method to plot a ships course using the gramophone ?

Easy.

You will need a stereophonic installation and an external camera.
If you are some bad luck and the ship plotted play one of these tragical songs of Celine Dion, you will be able to localized on the right if your right ear explose.
After use your camera and watch in what direction the fish goes out, your ship is 180° by opposite.

Pisces
09-19-08, 12:26 PM
I edited my suggestion above a bit. I left out an important part (how to get range).