PDA

View Full Version : Help a Type IIA captain out

The_Blockade_Runner
09-17-08, 10:57 AM
Hi guys;

Hey, I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I need help finding the ships weak spots. The weak spots I knew in stock SH3 arent the same running GWX 2.1

Im asking because Im still in the beginning with a type IIA and I need to maximuize tonnage. The problem Im having is sinking ships with one shot. Generallly, Im aiming for about 3-4 meters under the smoke stack. I can usually sink the coastal merchant in one shot, But the granville type freighters and small merchants are freaking tanks. And I am spening a lot of time, hours of compressed time, hoping that it will sink.

The other day, ending my third patrol, I had one torp left. Along came a Large Merchant with perfect weather conditions at night. The Large Merchant was going 9knts. I ser up a perfect shot under the smoke stack. And on it went, just kept trucking on at 8knts and never sank, I followed it for hours then turned back home.

If you're running GWX 2.1 and youre a master at one shot kills, espically on the small merchants, please post your tips, hints, here.

:know: :know: :know:

Sailor Steve
09-17-08, 11:04 AM
U-boat.net has a list of every ship attacked by a u-boat during the war. A look through it will show a huge variety of sinking types, with small ships taking forever and big ships going down fast, usually depending on the cargo carried at the time.

The point here is that, while some captains stalked crippled ships for hours or even days, most would give it two hours or so and then deliver the coupe de grace.

Any one-shot kills I've ever gotten have been due purely to luck.

Piggy
09-17-08, 11:15 AM
I usually aim slightly aft of the bow, with the forward momentum it "seems" to help ships sink. But you're right, sometimes they just wont got down, especially the 2000GRT passenger/cargo ships! Thoses things are tanks. Although last nights patrol I came across 3 of them so I thought I would try something different this time. I aimed just aft of the smoke stack, knocked the engines out on two of them and they sank within an hour, the 3rd one needed another eel. (ive never sank one of those with a one bow shot though)

I find the Granvilles pretty easy to sink with one bow shot though. I wouldnt aim for the engine room areas unless you want to stop it (doesnt always work though) and finish it off with a deck gun (not possible with a type II)

Generally speaking I think shots to the most forward cargo hold gives the best results but its never guaranteed and sometimes they can take hours to sink.

meduza
09-17-08, 11:36 AM
Use impact fuse, depth set to half a ship's draft. Aim at front mast, or a bit forward.

It seems that the bigger ships are easier to sink than the small ones. THe 12000 ton Whale factory ship needs only one hit to sink, but a ships like 2000 ton Tramp steamer often survives :hmm:

Seaveins
09-17-08, 11:44 AM
How do you alter the point of impact for the torpedo run?

Piggy
09-17-08, 11:51 AM

Once you get your solution and are in prime firing position simply unlock the scope(uzo/peri) and aim for whatever part of the ship you want. The solution/gyro angle will update automatically.

nikbear
09-17-08, 02:48 PM
For most ships that are travelling with some speed,9Knts or above,I and it seems many others;)use bow shots,that way you capitalise on using there weight and speed against them to aid sinking,its especially good in bad weather:up:big waves helping there demise considerably:yep:also pay attention to the draft of the boat in placing the eel.....shallow draft/slow speed/good weather?you'll probably better of with an engine room/mid hull shot.deep draft/got some speed/bad weather?then try a bow shot;)it really is all down to experience and conditions...and that takes time so stay alive and it will all come to you:arrgh!:

Kielhauler1961
09-17-08, 02:57 PM
I use bow impacts shots in rough seas. Set torpedo depth to 2-3 metres above the keel and get 90 degree AoB. Works nearly every time, except with C2's of course....

Pisces
09-18-08, 05:36 AM
I usually aim slightly aft of the bow, with the forward momentum it "seems" to help ships sink. But you're right, sometimes they just wont got down, especially the 2000GRT passenger/cargo ships! Thoses things are tanks. Although last nights patrol I came across 3 of them so I thought I would try something different this time. I aimed just aft of the smoke stack, knocked the engines out on two of them and they sank within an hour, the 3rd one needed another eel. (ive never sank one of those with a one bow shot though)

I find the Granvilles pretty easy to sink with one bow shot though. I wouldnt aim for the engine room areas unless you want to stop it (doesnt always work though) and finish it off with a deck gun (not possible with a type II)

Generally speaking I think shots to the most forward cargo hold gives the best results but its never guaranteed and sometimes they can take hours to sink.I have only a one-time experience, but hitting the passenger/cargo in the aft cargo section (between the 2 masts) made him sink in about an hour in my last patrol too. It needs more attempts to confirm this location promisses succes, but your experiences confirm my suspicions. The waves we significant though, so that may have helped. Forward hits (1st mast) are useless for this type, but works miracles sofar in most others (even large merchants/freighters). Not instant, but well within the hour.

Seaveins
09-18-08, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaveins

Once you get your solution and are in prime firing position simply unlock the scope(uzo/peri) and aim for whatever part of the ship you want. The solution/gyro angle will update automatically.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/smartdark/user_offline.gif http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/smartdark/report.gif (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/report.php?p=948464)

predavolk
09-18-08, 08:26 AM
There was a thread about small ships and their toughness. Many such discussions occured. In GWX 2.1, magnetic torps are much more effective in my experience than in earlier versions. So they're not a bad choice. But I still prefer bow shots with impact torps. As others have mentioned, the boat's momentum then drives it under.

Stern shots are another possibility, as the stern is usually lower to the water than the bow. Middle shots are the least effective. In real life, you'd be hoping to hit the boiler room/fuel supplies and blow the ship up. Otherwise, it's the least threateing from a sinking persepctive.

Steeltrap
09-18-08, 07:06 PM
Historically the best hit location was engine spaces, typically in aft third of the ship.

They were commonly the largest single compartment. The loss of engine power stopped the ship and, significantly, would hamper damage control efforts.

Dick O'Kane makes it quite clear in his writings that the aft third of a cargo vessel was the only location almost guaranteed to sink the target.

I find it works for me. A follow up forward of the bridge will certainly do the trick, but I've found most targets will eventually end up dead in the water, and usually sink without further intervention. As has been said, with anything but a type II you can finish off with the deck gun.

The_Blockade_Runner
09-21-08, 08:00 AM
So some are saying go for the bow, and others go for the stern?

meduza
09-21-08, 08:15 AM
So some are saying go for the bow, and others go for the stern?
Now we are waiting for someone to say go for the middle. :rotfl:

kylania
09-21-08, 10:05 AM
Aim for the superstructure!

Kipparikalle
09-21-08, 01:19 PM
I often get instant kill when hitting a bit away from the front of the ship. Under the masts.

Works for both small and big

Erich dem Roten
09-21-08, 04:15 PM
I am a fan of both the bow shot described here, and also aiming for fuel bunkers (typically just forward of the superstructure). It also comes down to luck in some cases - I've put 3 torps into both a Liberty Cargo and an Empire-class Freighter without them sinking, despite being dead in the water during very rough seas (the bows of both ship were actually under water 70% of the time). I waited 24 hours before finally using another torp on each.

Rommer69
09-22-08, 11:31 AM
Many of the ships I sank had a bow shot, some of them had a stern shot, of course not intended:rotfl: . Big ships with hits in the middle many times do not want to sink and small ships wont do it even in rough waters; thatīs my experience.
Iīm still looking for the way of sinking almost all the ships with only one shot.:know: