PDA

View Full Version : New Toy

skookum
09-17-08, 04:53 AM
Oh my God! Macs rule!

I just got my new 24" iMac today. Holly crap! This thing is huge!. I'll post pics and screenies later. Yay!

Seminole
09-17-08, 07:19 AM
Congratulations!...:yep:

SteamWake
09-17-08, 08:45 AM
I like my mac's with cheese and sausage. :p

Glad your happy with your new toy. :up:

skookum
09-17-08, 11:26 PM
Just a quick report on performance.

MODS:

NSM
Environmental 4.x
RFB
RSRD

1900x1080

With everything maxed I'm getting a constant 60 frames per second, often higher!!!

24" iMac 3.06 dual core, 4Gig ram, with the Nvidia 8800 GS.

Smokin'

Rockin Robbins
09-18-08, 05:48 AM
Nice PC you have there. The Mac is dead. Long live the PC! The only thing left of the Mac is OSX Leopard, which is Apple's version of Vista, including a similarly long list of bugs. My daughter uses both every day and prefers her PC. Oh, I forgot. They're BOTH PCs.

Apple does make pretty stuff. After all, the only thing they sell is "coolness."

But if cool is what you want, put together an Ubuntu system and save a huge pile of dough. You can still dual boot Windows to play games and you have an operating system that makes both Mac and Windows look like a couple of octegenarians. And all the excellent software is free. With Mac4Lin theme you can end up with something that even mocks OSX with a very similar but modestly priced appearance.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/Screenshot-1.png

OSX? Heck no. I'll never buy anything from Apple again after being caught in their betrayal of tens of thousands of customers in the Apple ][ and Apple/// debacle. They screwed the single largest computer customer base in the world at the time. Apple continues their anti-customer crusade with iPhones that won't run any software but their own and which are exclusively tied to AT&T as just one example. They are the Darth Vader of world corporations, using the dark side of the force.:arrgh!: Their profit ratios are more than three times that of the hated oil companies. :hulk:

Seminole
09-18-08, 07:29 AM
Nice PC you have there. The Mac is dead. Long live the PC!

Talk about raining on somebody's parade.... :nope: :D ......he is delighted with it and that should be enough for everyone else. What is the point of trying to talk into buyers remorse? Just be happy for and with the guy.

Rockin Robbins
09-18-08, 02:41 PM
No, it's a great PC! It is just sold by a reprehensible company for a rapacious price. But since it is a PC it will run Windows fine.

I have a fine case of rabies when it comes to Apple, that is true.;) The only cure for it is to always remind people that when they play with Apple, they are playing with a snake. Although the snake is pretty, they should not be surprised when they are bitten. That's what snakes do.

Rest assured I am entirely good-natured about it. :lol: It's not as if an Apple PC won't run Windows. Heck, it's a nice PC with a great graphics card and that's what PCs are supposed to do.

But just to show my good will, I have asked some Apples to come over for a party.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/smileys/apple2.gifhttp://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/smileys/apple4.gifhttp://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/smileys/Partay.gifhttp://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/smileys/apple4.gifhttp://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/smileys/apple2.gif
MMMMMMMMM! I believe I have the makings of a pie!http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/smileys/giggle.gif

skookum
09-18-08, 04:22 PM
@RR

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with Apple.

Task Force
09-18-08, 04:56 PM
:dead: I had a mac with XP on it.:-? I hated it, got a steady 20- frames a second on medium.

Rockin Robbins
09-18-08, 05:20 PM
Well, nowdays Mac runs Windows as well as your PC can. If they have as good a graphics card as snookums has they can shred SH4. Because architecurally, they are just as much a PC as your Windows machine.

Yeah, snookums, they took me for a fool. But they were the real fools because I've spent many thousands on non-Apple computers since and I could have been an Apple customer for life if treated right. So they kept their ill-gotten gains and I voted for the opposition with my cash from then on. Now half the battle, the hardware battle, is over and the loser was Apple. I take some satisfaction from that. Justice is always satisfying.

Task Force
09-18-08, 05:25 PM
Well, nowdays Mac runs Windows as well as your PC can. If they have as good a graphics card as snookums has they can shred SH4. Because architecurally, they are just as much a PC as your Windows machine.

Yeah, snookums, they took me for a fool. But they were the real fools because I've spent many thousands on non-Apple computers since and I could have been an Apple customer for life if treated right. So they kept their ill-gotten gains and I voted for the opposition with my cash from then on. Now half the battle, the hardware battle, is over and the loser was Apple. I take some satisfaction from that. Justice is always satisfying.

Did you also get lied to at a store by apple sales people. They told me that this was a great computer that would run my games perfectly.:shifty: What would they know, Mac has what, three games.:rotfl: also right after I bought that computer, they changed to Leopard. All cause my dad forced me to get it. Stupid lying sales people.

jazman
09-18-08, 06:52 PM
Nice PC you have there. The Mac is dead. Long live the PC!

Talk about raining on somebody's parade.... :nope: :D ......he is delighted with it and that should be enough for everyone else. What is the point of trying to talk into buyers remorse? Just be happy for and with the guy.

The guy did say, after all:
Oh my God! Macs rule!

skookum
09-18-08, 09:38 PM
Ya know guys,

Apple is a hardware dealer. Always was, always will be. I bought an iMac because I wanted what they were marketing: a fast personal computer with as little clutter as possible (three wires, keys, mouse and screen), no tower, and an OS that supports some of the most useful and powerful video and graphic design software in the industry. Gaming, though important to me, was a secondary interest. I am thrilled that Bootcamp lets me run Vista for PC games, though the down side is I still have to run Vista. I am thrilled with the performance. And since I wonèt be hacking or otherwise altering my system in ways not recommended by the manufacturer, I have every confidence that either my system will work, or that Apple will replace my system if it screws up anytime in the next three years (Apple Care). All of my collegues who operate Macs have nothing but praise for them.

My iMac kicks the crap out of SH4. If you do not like that I like Apple, too bad. Iève had nothing but good experiences. And I am confident that this will continue.

Thank you for your concern.

jazman
09-18-08, 10:49 PM
Thank you for your concern.

Your welcome. When I hear people gush, "Oh my God! Macs rule!" I start dialing up deprogrammers.

Seminole
09-19-08, 07:38 AM
:jazmanThe guy did say, after all:
Oh my God! Macs rule!

.....still.... now was that a good reason to go into a Cliff Clavin diatribe against MACs? MACs are what they are. Some people buy them. Some people use them. Some people like them. That ain't going to change.

He is obviously delighted with his new rig, wanted to share his happiness with us. I feel honored when someone does that. What is to be gained by dissing MACS to him? The last thing he wanted in the world was to hear something bad about his choice....:hmm:

...like a cartoon someone else posted here in another thread..if you are gonna try to correct everyone one on the internet you think is wrong..then you're sure as heck are going to have your hands full...:yep: ... I should at this point say...physician heal thyself...and shut-up myself. :lol:

Oh..yeah btw.. ... since my idiomatic language usage revealed that not all forum members are always familiar with my references...here is a page on Cliff Clavin..(scroll down to the "Wisdoms" section]...Cliff a Cheers character was widely known for freely sharing his opinions on..well just about anything...;) ..no offense..no offense...:D..theres a little Cliffie in all of us.

jazman
09-19-08, 09:58 AM
.....still.... now was that a good reason to go into a Cliff Clavin diatribe against MACs? MACs are what they are. Some people buy them. Some people use them. Some people like them. That ain't going to change.

Oh, come on, we're just having a little fun. Mac people are so easy to tease.

Rockin Robbins
09-19-08, 10:45 AM
Now Seminole, I'm not dissing Macs. I've granted that they're good PC's. After all, his configuration has components nearly as good as yours. Well, at least it isn't ludicrously worse like my machine. And like I said in my "savage attack" on Macs' quality, because his machine is a PC, it will shred SH4.

I agree with snookum's assessment of Mac quality except that with their surrender, Apple is no longer a hardware company. They are a software company selling conventional PC hardware that has been enabled to run their software, while viciously preventing anyone with identical hardware purchased from other outlets from running their software. Their only product is their operating system. Their Mafia inspired method of selling hardware is only limiting the possible success of their OS, which could be a genuine competitor with Windows if it were loosed on the world. But their business model is to be king of a small pond that they can totally control instead of a major player in the ocean, where they cannot exert totalitarian rule. Then they market themselves as somehow enlightened and uber-cool.

They're entitled to their marketing stategy. As Task Force said, their elitist sales crew acting like used car salesmen certainly contributed to my situation too. They knowingly pushed the right buttons to take advantage of my ignorance at the time.

The operating system they sell is as good as Windows and their equipment is as good as many of the other PCs on the market today. It is not the Mac machine that I have a problem with, or the OSX operating system. it's the thoroughly slimey company that sells them.

All together now! Booooo! Hisssssss!http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/smileys/hahaha-024.gif

peabody
09-19-08, 10:59 AM
Bravo Seminole! Some people just like taking pins to the circus and bursting the kids balloons. Skookum, I am happy for you and hope you enjoy your new Apple.

At Rockin, sorry you had problems with Apple, but there are just as many unhappy PC owners that try to get support and end up talking to someone on the moon, that doesn't have a clue. I know, I have fixed a good many of them. And I am far from a computer wiz!! But the companies gave them no help and they didn't work for Apple.

It is like a Ford/Chevy issue, some people have problems some don't.

But, I just want to comment, before all you guys get up on your soap boxes, you may want to consider where "Windows" came from. I was running a windows based system in 1985 (Amiga) and I had windows, multitasking, separate Graphics and sound chip so it didn't use the CPU's time. (Gee does Video card ring a bell?) And each window had it's own screen so you could not only have three programs running but each one could be a different resolution. And I was doing "cable channel" commercials and getting paid quite well for it, while the wonderful PC was trying to figure out how the get the screensaver to scroll you name across the screen without jerking. And Apple also had windows, so why is it that the fantastic PC's didn't get it until 1992 when Uncle Bi$$ invented it with windows 3.1, there was a gem. And the multitasking came along with Win95 ten years after. Oh, and let's not forget Windows ME, woooooh there was an PC dream come true.
Amiga was put out of business and Apple fell on hard time for one reason, marketing. (and maybe as Rokkin said treating their customers badly) Microsoft maketed their product much better and aimed at the businesses. And if people went out to buy a computer they bought what they used at work. So that's why they fell on their face.

So, if you are unhappy with a company then go ahead and vote with you $$, I do the same thing. But don't harass a man that most likely worked hard to come up with the money to buy a new computer and kick sand in his face.

I have only been a member for a short time, but I can see the steady decline in the way people are treated here and it is distubing to say the least. And because I have only been here a short time, I don't really get taken seriously. But I just say be careful how high you get on your soap box, we wouldn't want you to fall off and get hurt.

So, in closing, Skookum you enjoy your new purchase and don't worry about how others feel about it, if you like it that is all that matters!!!! Happy hunting.

Peabody

PS: Just for the record, I do not own an Apple, never have, but that was a choice I made and there are times I regretted it and other times I didn't.
PPS: I just read Rockins last post. Rockin I understand you point of view but disagree on some point. I know when I owned the Amiga they had a similar market approach, but like Apple is was not for the reason you describe. It was for one reason, the system worked because they were all the same. If you spent $$ developing software, you knew it would work! On a PC, how many times have we had questions in here because there are so many different configurations with sound cards, video cards, CPU, Ram, FSB, the list goes on. PC blames it on the drivers and the video card manufacturer blames it on the OS and so on. Amiga decided like Apple to keep them the same, so there were no conflicts, it turned out to be the wrong choice but the idea did work to the extent that when you bought software, it worked. And that was because they all had the same hardware. Then along came a whole new generation that actually understood computers and they wanted to tweak this and mod that and change the video card etc. So now the businesses were not using them and the 'geeks' didn't want them, and everyone jumped on the PC bandwagon.

Sailor Steve
09-19-08, 12:01 PM
Dear Skookum: I think you have made a huge mistake in your choice of a new computer. What you should have done is send me the money instead. I would have made a better choice; i.e. one that would have suited me. The only way to rectify this situation now is to let me save you from your folly. Send me the computer immediately and all will be forgiven.

Jealous in the Boondocks

:rotfl:

jazman
09-19-08, 03:41 PM
The operating system they sell is as good as Windows and their equipment is as good as many of the other PCs on the market today.

All PCs and Macs are cheap junk. If you paid a lot for it, it's expensive junk.

skookum
09-19-08, 04:35 PM
Dear Sailor Steve,

Thank you for helping me see the folly of my ways. Unfortunately, since I just blew a bunch of $$$ on this rig, I have no $ left to pay the shipping. I guess it will just have to sit on my desk until I have earned enough renow...er...money.

Truly yours,

Skookum

Arclight
09-19-08, 05:24 PM
:rotfl:

Glad to hear you're happy with your Mac. It's not the brand that counts, it's what you do with it.

Now stop posting and go sink some ships! :up: