PDA

View Full Version : Baseball fans Unite! October madness...

09-17-08, 12:11 AM
I'm a lifelong baseball fan (spanish beseball), I played up until college (southpaw pitcher/1BM) and still love the game. My pappy was a cubs fan and that is how I became one. (I hate the AL w/the DH) So I ask the forum, if you have any love for the game of baseball, please hit me up. I'm hoping that a hundred years is the end of our curse.

ReallyDedPoet
09-17-08, 06:51 AM
Jays fan here, they are finishing strong, but will not make the playoffs. Had a chance about a month ago to see a Yankees and Mets game in NYC and a Jays game in Toronto, the trip was a lot of fun. Quite the experience to see Yankee Stadium, we also did a tour there along with seeing a game.

I wouldn't mind seeing your Cubs win, be nice to see another team end their curse.

RDP

09-17-08, 07:54 AM
Yankee stadium was on my list of places to see a game, oh well. Fenway is still on the list. Been to a Dodger's game, chills ran down my spine when I walked in, knowing Koufax and Drysdale pitched there. Nice place to catch a game, Miller park is nice, so is PNC.

Your Jays did play some great ball in the end. Maybe CG will bring back some magic.

ps- nearly half of our starting rotation is from British Columbia. Harden & Dempster and have done a heck of a job!

ReallyDedPoet
09-17-08, 11:46 AM
Your Jays did play some great ball in the end. Maybe CG will bring back some magic.

ps- nearly half of our starting rotation is from British Columbia. Harden & Dempster and have done a heck of a job!
Yeah weird to see Cito back, but I think they really needed a steady presence on the bench, be interesting to see how he does next year as they plan to bring him back.

I was at Fenway ( great ballpark ) in 93', saw they Jays take 2 from the Sox, it was neat as they went on to win another World Series that year. Yeah the Canucks on the Cubs seem to be doing quite well, another reason for me to cheer them on this year :D

RDP

09-17-08, 05:12 PM
I hope the Canucks on the Blackhawks help us to the the playoffs and beyond.

Found this little gem by former Pearl Jam front man Eddie Vedder and long suffering cubs fan:

Yeah, don’t let them say that it’s just a game.
Well, I’ve seen other teams and it is never the same.
When you go to Chicago, you’re blessed and you’re healed,
The first time you walk into Wrigley Field.
Heroes with pinstripes and heroes in blue,
Give us the chance to feel like heroes do.
Whether we’ll win and if we should lose, we know
Someday we’ll go all the way.
Yeah, someday we’ll go all the way.

We are one with the Cubs, with the Cubs we’re in love.
Hold our heads tall as the underdogs.
We are not fairweather, but farweather fans.
Like brothers in arms, in the suites and the stands.
There’s magic in the Ivy and the old score board.
The same one I stared at as a kid keeping score.
In a world full of greed, we could never want more.

Here’s to the men and the legends we’ve known.
Giving us faith and giving us hope.
United we stand and united we’ll fall
Down to our knees the day we win it all.
Yeah Ernie Banks said, “oh, let’s play two”.
I think he meant two hundred years.
Playing at Wrigley, our diamond, our jewel.
The home of our joy and our fears.
Keeping traditions, and wishes and doom??
The place where our grandfathers’ fathers they grew.
The spitual feeling if I ever knew.
And when the day comes for that last minute run,
and I’m crying and covered with beer.
I look to the sky and know I was right today.

I found and DL'ed the mp3, done live at a show here, if anyone interested PM me and I'll point it out.

Bort
09-18-08, 10:03 PM
I'm right there with ya', 1480! Go Cubbies! :D

What a game today, down 4 runs in the bottom of the ninth and then the 3 run homer by Soto to tie it up, couldn't have been done better. They certainly know how to make a game exciting!

Magic Number = 2.

http://markrich.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/cubs-logo.jpg

09-18-08, 10:11 PM
Here's Pat & Ron's call on the Soto HR and DLee's walkoff base hit.

http://home.comcast.net/~bcvm22/cubs/9182008.mp3

claybirdd
09-18-08, 10:44 PM
To bad the Braves sucked balls this season they have always been my fav team.:down:

09-19-08, 07:52 AM
To bad the Braves sucked balls this season they have always been my fav team.:down:

They became victims of their own success, and could no longer afford to pay for the talent that made them world beaters in the 90's. Whats interesting to note, Leo M. may not have been the the pitching guru that he was always purported to be. Having Smoltz, Glavine and Maddux, you really don't need one.....:up:

Chin up claybirdd, everything runs in cycles.