PDA

View Full Version : Resupply limitations.

andym
09-15-08, 10:54 AM
Now this may sound daft but i need to get it squared away.Am i correct in thinking that "theoretically" as long as ones U boat isnt leaking like a sieve and held together with Harry Maskers,by using a Supply vessel/Milchcow a patrol can last indefinatly?

meduza
09-15-08, 11:11 AM
Once you resupply, your current patrol ends.

FIREWALL
09-15-08, 11:15 AM
Hi andym :sunny:

I run GWX 2.1 and thats what I do.

I like long patrols. :D

I have a homemade log book and keep track of my tonnage and other info.

GoldenRivet
09-15-08, 11:29 AM
the short answer is "yes" you can stay away from home port until you are killed or the war ends.

but the short answer is also "no" because one you dock with a milk cow or a supply ship, your current patrol hits a stopping point, and a new patrol is begun.

andym
09-15-08, 11:33 AM
Buggerit!!! Ah well never mind.

Kielhauler1961
09-15-08, 11:48 AM
I've stopped at a few supply ship recently and although the current patrol 'ends', and you get topped-up with fuel and ammo (and damage repair!), and have all crew fatigue reset to fresh, but you cant award the crew any medals, promotions or qualifications. Do these 'roll over' to the next time you are back in home port or are they lost forever?

bigboywooly
09-15-08, 12:02 PM
Lost forever
Make a note of them and hand them out in SH3commander
:up:

={FH}=Paddy
09-15-08, 12:07 PM
I'm in that position now Kielhauler1961 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=240591), i'll let you know! But i think that it may more likely than not happen. I just took on a juicy convoy on route to GR55 from Lorient, met a massive convoy and spent a couple of days catching it, then stalking it and killing juicy bits (large tanker, pyro amo and 2 DDs) only to be runnning on enough fuel fumes to get to a near Milk Cow, saved game as one does and am now heading back for Lorient all tooled up again but all orders are blank now :cry:- think that all renown and kudos will be lost unless i meet a convoy on the way home - Bummeritus maximus if this is the casse. (But am sure one of the others here can give you a more immediate and definitive answer instead of waiting for me!!):up:

Kielhauler1961
09-15-08, 12:09 PM

What a good idea! I also had a recent patrol from Lorient to Bessel go corrupt on me. It knackered the whole patrol, no tonnage, anything! When I restarted from Bessel I made up for it with my first 100k patrol so didn't feel too bad. But, when I tried to re-load the same skipper for his next outing under Sh3 Commander, I got a dialogue box something along the lines of 'date encode error' and it wouldn't let me restart him. Had to delete that career after trying a few work-arounds using advice from guys over on the Ubi forum. My first, and only, 100k skipper down the pan!

Ta very much BBW and ={FH}=Paddy!:)

={FH}=Paddy
09-15-08, 12:24 PM
BBW well on the ball - as said, quicker than my reply would have been and certainly more concise! :up: Good luck Kielhauler1961 :cool:

FIREWALL
09-15-08, 01:25 PM
Lost forever
:up:

You are so right. :up:

That is why I have a home made logbook.

Made the cover out of imitation leather ( vinyl ) :) and printed some pages I copyed from what another member made and shared.

For me nuttin is ever lost but me. :p

={FH}=Paddy
09-16-08, 08:28 AM
BBW or someone - you may be able to answer a question I have in relation to this topic - logically, if you get no credit (renown + medals) or recognition for having to refuel mid mission at a milk cow to ensure survival, is there any real point in traveling half way around the globe to patrol, say GR 55, as in my case? :hmm:
Alternatively, I disregard my orders, keep my attack radius local, wreck havoc on as many juicy targets as possible and when running low on eels or go go juice (or crew for that matter), scoot home and collect my medals and renown etc :lol:
The only alternative to the above that I can see, is to go as slow as you can to your distant AO, make it there quietly, do your 24 hour grid patrol and scoot home slowly again, while avoiding contact in case you get bogged down in a long drawn battle or end up running out of go go juice and becoming DD or fish fodder?!
(This is of course assuming that you do not have your own DIY logbook as in FIREWALLs case!) :up:
Or am i missing something? (Which is always a very strong possibility!:oops:)
What do others do with long distant patrol orders that may result in you either having to get your oars out or struggling home on diesel fumes?
Cheers:hmm:

nirwana
09-16-08, 08:35 AM
:lurk:
There is nothing more satisfying then to beat up the yankees at their own backyard.

:smug::yep::p

Kielhauler1961
09-16-08, 08:45 AM
I enjoy my long-range patrols in my trusty IXB, stopping off at Bessel or Corrientes for tea and buns. I get the credit for the tonnage sunk (my last mentioned patrol that went corrupt was abnormal). Now I know how to get around the medal and awards thing using SH3 Commander, I'll keep doing them. I don't know if you still get the renown but suspect you do, so there should be no problem.

BTW, I've just passed through the Panama Canal on my round-the-worlld trip in 1939! Cheated though, had to switch on unlimited fuel as my plastic isn't accepted outside Europe!

andym
09-16-08, 11:51 AM
:lurk:
There is nothing more satisfying then to beat up the yankees at their own backyard.

:smug::yep::p

I tried that last night,lined up a tug and before i knew it i had 4 destroyers bearing down on me,nedless to say i didnt make it.

nirwana
09-16-08, 03:40 PM
:o Ummmm after DiD starting a new compaign i accidently was able to dock at the target ships for exersizing purpose in the first prewar mission. :rotfl: bummer, anyone else noticed this before ?

Erich dem Roten
09-16-08, 10:07 PM
One thing that really irritated me was that my compliment of TI's were replaced by TII's when I resupplied (I spent only two torps on my way to the African coast). As far as I could tell there was no way to select which torps you'd be using as there is in a port.

BasilY
09-17-08, 01:11 AM
I've stopped at a few supply ship recently and although the current patrol 'ends', and you get topped-up with fuel and ammo (and damage repair!), and have all crew fatigue reset to fresh, but you cant award the crew any medals, promotions or qualifications. Do these 'roll over' to the next time you are back in home port or are they lost forever?
Actually, you can award medals while docking with supply ships. Go back to the map room screen, (one step back from the desk screen) and click on the file cabinet (Upper left). You can even recruit new crewmen (highly unlikely on a supply ship).

Nothing can be done about the boat or torpedoes, all the homing torpedoes you got from home port? gone...