What for a surprise !
The last screen I takes is incredible !

314 m !!!

:o

Who can beat this depth ??

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/2634/314mgk2.jpg

nirwana
09-11-08, 03:53 AM
:hmm: Were u able to raise back to less dangerous depths without blowing the tanks ? Going below 240m with this boat is possible for me and the damage control team can handle the occuring damages but i have huge trouble to trim the boat and raise back to less hostile depths without blowing the tank.:stare:

kylania
09-11-08, 07:38 AM
He's doing back emergency, so I'm assuming things weren't going too well. :)

Jimbuna
09-11-08, 09:07 AM
But did you manage to surface :hmm:

Chisum
09-11-08, 10:40 AM
Can't surfaced because no more compressed air...
Emergency back effectively because water is on the front and the ship plunge like a Stuka over London...

250m: "All men on the rear"...

270m: No sir, all men on the bottom...

280m: Captain ??
290m: Yes enseign what do you want ?
300m: Maybe it's not the right moment, you seems to be busi, but may I have an other strawberries box ?
310m: Take it all guy...

It's tragic.

GoldenRivet
09-11-08, 11:07 AM
Deepest depth achievement doesn't count unless you surface and make it back to port. :lol:

Chisum
09-11-08, 11:24 AM
Deepest depth achievement doesn't count unless you surface and make it back to port. :lol:

Hum...It was just to know the last greatest depth you have ever saw, the last screen you take before the end.
Because when the ship goes at 314 that means she can survive at 310 or 300 or 290, etc...
And it's incredible considering that before at 160 i was not so quiet...

PappyCain
09-11-08, 12:06 PM
So! you reached 'crush depth'. How is hell? Hot? Be nice to know what is the maximum depth each class can recover from with 100% hull. Report back! 19% seems a little bit off. Implosion should have killed the boat before that depth (at 19% hull integrity).

S'
PC

Chisum
09-11-08, 12:17 PM
Sure but I just talk about the game. I have not any intention to try it in a real submarine.
:p

ECAaxel
09-11-08, 12:38 PM
So! you reached 'crush depth'. How is hell? Hot? Be nice to know what is the maximum depth each class can recover from with 100% hull. Report back! 19% seems a little bit off. Implosion should have killed the boat before that depth (at 19% hull integrity).

S'
PC

i think the reason it is at 19% because he is crushing

Ping Panther
09-11-08, 01:25 PM
Emergency back effectively because water is on the front and the ship plunge like a Stuka over London...

"plunge like a Stuka over London..."
oh yeah!
What a classic discription to a SH3 moment! :up: :lol:

Redwine
09-11-08, 02:25 PM
The crash depth can be tweaked, plus, even when you reach it, you dont be destroyed inmediatelly, it depend of the "crash speed" used by the mods you have installed.

If you have a low crash speed, when you pass the crush depth, the sub start to take damage, if the crash speed is low, you will be able to ear cracks and recognize the sub is taking damage, according with the crash speed, it can take many seconds to destroy the sub, and you can blow ballast and recover the ship. :up:

_Seth_
09-11-08, 02:56 PM
IIRC, Wasn't there a bug some time ago that "allowed" you to plunge down to over 500 meters...:hmm:

papegojan
09-11-08, 04:39 PM
My query is what mod are you using to allow your sailors to have specialit qualifications?

Platapus
09-11-08, 04:44 PM
He's doing back emergency, so I'm assuming things weren't going too well. :)

What a great statement. :up:

Rhodes
09-11-08, 04:50 PM
Do you want me to put my depth record here again? I will:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1629/depthxm4.jpg

514m:rock: , byt as You all can see, I had two steel colums inside the sub holding the sub!!!

This was a bug, after reloading a save game! My max depth in game, playing and surviving was 235m!

PappyCain
09-11-08, 05:29 PM
It is an interesting topic BTW. Has anyone a chart on design depth vs operating depths. I know there exists something as I did read it somewhere for U-Boots and their various class.

Also, understanding that this is a sim and who knows what was programmed but I wonder, when on the decent flank astern, would lightening up the nose, bringing men aft and loosing the heavy torpedoes help the ballast and pumps and help level or is it too far gone and at what point? I know that drifting down level with ballast control and pumps functioning is OK but when going nose down on a 45 degree angle or less it will be irreversable. Any programmer know?

S'
PC

Many a sub was saved by shallow water. But in the deep blue if you cannot trim the increased pressure will send you to Davey Jones locker. (.445lbs per square inch for every foot in depth). BTW I have seen WWII sub wreakage in the deep - we are talikng a gnarled mass of nothing recognizable other than that which will not crush at 12,000 fsw i.e. rudder, props, shafts. valves etc. Pressure vessels blow inward (implode). Debri field is large as the stuff drifts down after implosion.

added 7:30 PM:

"The theoretical crush depth of the Type VIIC was 280 - 375 meters, depending on which figures are used. Design depths from 120 to 150 meters are published. The Germans generally used a safety factor of 2.5 to get design depth and they tested the hull at a safety factor of 1.5. The maximum safe depth for the VIIC was therefore between 185 and 250 meters. The problem is that most of numbers published do not specify the applicable safety factor, so it is difficult to come up with a precise number for theoretical crush depth. The actual crush depth varied from one boat to another anyway since the quality of the materials and the workmanship varied.

BTW, there was a project for a VII C 42 which was to have a design depth of 200 meters using armor plate as the hull material. This gives us a maximum safe depth of 330 meters and a crush depth of 500 meters. Most of the other U-boat types only had a design depth of 100 meters, so their test and maximum safe depth was only around 170 meters, but many went deeper.

The Type XXI was designed to have a design depth of 135 meters, which gives a crush depth of 340 meters and a maximum safe depth of 225 meters. However, when the finished product was tested, there was a minor problem in the design which reduced the design depth to 120 meters, so we get a crush depth of 300 meters and a maximum safe depth of 200 meters, rather similar to the VIIC. The deepest test dive was to 220 meters.

The theoretical crush depth of the Type VIIC was 280 - 375 meters, depending on which figures are used. Design depths from 120 to 150 meters are published. The Germans generally used a safety factor of 2.5 to get design depth and they tested the hull at a safety factor of 1.5. The maximum safe depth for the VIIC was therefore between 185 and 250 meters. The problem is that most of numbers published do not specify the applicable safety factor, so it is difficult to come up with a precise number for theoretical crush depth. The actual crush depth varied from one boat to another anyway since the quality of the materials and the workmanship varied.

BTW, there was a project for a VII C 42 which was to have a design depth of 200 meters using armor plate as the hull material. This gives us a maximum safe depth of 330 meters and a crush depth of 500 meters. Most of the other U-boat types only had a design depth of 100 meters, so their test and maximum safe depth was only around 170 meters, but many went deeper.

The Type XXI was designed to have a design depth of 135 meters, which gives a crush depth of 340 meters and a maximum safe depth of 225 meters. However, when the finished product was tested, there was a minor problem in the design which reduced the design depth to 120 meters, so we get a crush depth of 300 meters and a maximum safe depth of 200 meters, rather similar to the VIIC. The deepest test dive was to 220 meters."

gAiNiAc
09-11-08, 06:00 PM
I reached 280 meters in my VIIC recently, no hull damage.......I'm sure glad I realized it in time...........My boat wasn't maintaining buoyancy unless my speed was 3kts...........

I'll try again under more controlled conditions.....I was evading at the time...........

predavolk
09-11-08, 09:29 PM
I've taken a XXI down to 320-340 and back up again. Took some serious damage along the way though! :o

Chisum
09-11-08, 10:35 PM
My query is what mod are you using to allow your sailors to have specialit qualifications?
This is by using SH3 Commmander.
But there is no impact on the efficacity, it's just for the fun.

Well !
514 m !!
It's probably a world record !
Must put it in the Guiness book.
Congratulations !

About my poor 314m, I must tell you that at first, I don't saw immediately the front was so charged because just before it was the rear in trouble. And in this primary tragical moment I was full ahead to track the ship up.
Succes because passing of 280m at 175m and in the green few moments later.

And right after that, I thought to be save, a second attack and the front is submerged but I forget to change the traction...
It means that I was going down full ahead !!!

:lol:

nirwana
09-12-08, 02:58 AM
There should be a warning from someone for the captain like "Captain....are u nuts ?? what the hell are u doing ?" :88)

HunterICX
09-12-08, 03:11 AM
Having my VIIC at 280 meters, no propulsion, floodings,british destroyers above me and made it back to base thought me to be a bit more carefull with attacking Convoys in 1943

HunterICX

Murr44
09-12-08, 08:54 AM
287m in a VIIC. Carbon dioxide levels near critical. Barely managed to surface & get home.