PDA

View Full Version : Brit troops have all the toys!

SUBMAN1
09-06-08, 01:12 PM
Man, look how spoiled their tankers are! I mean, can't live without your tea now can you? Check this:

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v15846236hdKGfSk5

That is the inside of a British Challenger tank.

-S

UnderseaLcpl
09-06-08, 01:28 PM
If I recall correctly, the FV432 also had a boiler in the rear door for tea, and stuff.

Task Force
09-06-08, 10:02 PM
I wish are car had one of these.:D

XabbaRus
09-07-08, 02:12 AM
Yep, stuff your night vision, fancy elecetronic gizmoes..as long as we can have a cuppa we can beat the enemy.

Reminds me of the Asterix comic where they go to Britain and the Romans find the Brits pack up at 5 for a spot of tea.

Letum
09-07-08, 04:18 AM
I'm a terrible stereotype....
I have just seen this with a cuppa beside me.

Tea and warm ale all the way! :D

Jimbuna
09-07-08, 06:44 AM
That's what us Brits really mean when we 'brew up' a tank :lol:

mrbeast
09-07-08, 09:35 AM
Forget deisel, British tanks run on tea! :lol: :yep:

Thought everyone knew this? :D

OneToughHerring
09-07-08, 09:50 AM
That's one expensive teapot. :D Better be carefull with that hot tea pot when the driver decides to speed up suddenly or take a sharp turn.

STEED
09-07-08, 10:53 AM

So American tanks run on coffee and Russian tanks run on vodka. :hmm: :lol:

SUBMAN1
09-07-08, 10:55 AM

So American tanks run on coffee and Russian tanks run on vodka. :hmm: :lol:Americans have to step out, make a camp site and brew their brew. I've been in a couple M1's and they have no such niceties. All business in those things.

But I tell you this. When people are shooting, I'd rather brew my tea in my tank!

-S

STEED
09-07-08, 10:57 AM

So American tanks run on coffee and Russian tanks run on vodka. :hmm: :lol:Americans have to step out, make a camp site and brew their brew. I've been in a couple M1's and they have no such niceties. All business in those things.

But I tell you this. When people are shooting, I'd rather brew my tea in my tank!

-S

So you guys don't have a 20 pack of ultra soft toilet rolls? Explains why you guys are so grumpy, maybe. ;)

SUBMAN1
09-07-08, 11:01 AM
So you guys don't have a 20 pack of ultra soft toilet rolls? Explains why you guys are so grumpy, maybe. ;)If you haven't noticed, the Challenger is a bigger tank so they have room for such things in it. The M1 is lower profile and must make more use of the lesser available space. So no 20 pack for the Americans!

-S

Steel_Tomb
09-07-08, 11:05 AM
Trust us Brits to put a tea making gadget in a tank! Can just imagine a commander guiding his gunner whilst sipping on some tea *sip* "Bloody good shot old chap!" lol:rotfl:

STEED
09-07-08, 11:05 AM
So you guys don't have a 20 pack of ultra soft toilet rolls? Explains why you guys are so grumpy, maybe. ;)If you haven't noticed, the Challenger is a bigger tank so they have room for such things in it. The M1 is lower profile and must make more use of the lesser available space. So no 20 pack for the Americans!

-S

You guys need a new big sexy powerful kick ass tank. ;) :)

SUBMAN1
09-07-08, 11:12 AM

-S
You guys need a new big sexy powerful kick ass tank. ;) :)Last time I checked, bigger is not always better when missiles and bullets are flying by! :D

-S

STEED
09-07-08, 11:14 AM

-S
You guys need a new big sexy powerful kick ass tank. ;) :)Last time I checked, bigger is not always better when missiles and bullets are flying by! :D

-S

Raise shields. :roll: :lol:

SUBMAN1
09-07-08, 11:17 AM
Raise shields. :roll: :lol:Powered by tea of course!

STEED
09-07-08, 11:27 AM
Raise shields. :roll: :lol:Powered by tea of course!

Yorkshire Tea. :lol: :rock:

SUBMAN1
09-07-08, 12:48 PM
Lets look at the size difference:

Height:
Challenger 2 - 99 inches
M1A2 - 93 inches

Width:
Challenger 2 - 166 inches
M1A2 - 144 inches

Length:
Challenger 2 - 453 inches (with gun forward)
M1A2 - 387 inches (with gun forward)

Conclusion:
No room for tea pot in an M1A2! :D :p

-S

Jimbuna
09-07-08, 03:43 PM
Plenty of room for the crumpets too ;)

Happy Times
09-07-08, 06:16 PM
US Army Canteen in Iraq
http://www.thisisjustcool.com/cool-pictures/us-army-canteen-in-iraq/

Ok not all Americans enjoy this luxury but fact is the Brits in Iraq and Afganistan have less gear, less commodities, less pay, less leisure and less cake. They are very close to the WW2 grunts, and i respect them very much, as it must sometimes piss them off that they are so underfunded. Still they perform with the sterotypical British calm, humor and courage in ****ty conditions under fire.¨Salute.:up:

bookworm_020
09-07-08, 09:39 PM
Americans have to step out, make a camp site and brew their brew. I've been in a couple M1's and they have no such niceties. All business in those things.

-S

Give the Australians a couple of months to work on it, they'll get a beer fridge installed one way or another!:D

SUBMAN1
09-07-08, 11:11 PM
Give the Australians a couple of months to work on it, they'll get a beer fridge installed one way or another!:DCrud! If they had a tank as big as the new Challenger, no problem!

UnderseaLcpl
09-08-08, 01:00 AM
US Army Canteen in Iraq
http://www.thisisjustcool.com/cool-pictures/us-army-canteen-in-iraq/

Ok not all Americans enjoy this luxury but fact is the Brits in Iraq and Afganistan have less gear, less commodities, less pay, less leisure and less cake. They are very close to the WW2 grunts, and i respect them very much, as it must sometimes piss them off that they are so underfunded. Still they perform with the sterotypical British calm, humor and courage in ****ty conditions under fire.¨Salute.:up:

Salute indeed. I doubt I could stomach a British MRE.

Once KBR got the chow hall up and running in Fallujah it was quite a nice establishment. And the some of the Brits got to share it with us.:D
For Thanksgiving and Christmas I heard they had, amongst other things, boar, lobster, caviar and ice sculptures! Friggin' ice sculptures!

I missed both, since the insurgents decided to attack the Al-Kharma police station to celebrate Thanksgiving, and on Christmas I was delivering hot meals to the grunts. Fortunately, every Sunday they served steak, shrimp, and lobster,(all you can eat:D ) so I didn't miss out entirely. They even had soda and ice cream.

As much as I abhor such a waste of taxpayer money, it is nice to have things like that in such a miserable place. Thanks America!:up:

bookworm_020
09-08-08, 01:52 AM
Give the Australians a couple of months to work on it, they'll get a beer fridge installed one way or another!:DCrud! If they had a tank as big as the new Challenger, no problem!

It will be easy to spot which are the Australian tanks and which are the Americans. The Australians will have half a dozen eskys straped to the back!:up:

d@rk51d3
09-08-08, 04:32 AM
Plenty of room for the crumpets too ;)

- giggle -

Platapus
09-08-08, 04:42 AM
As much as I abhor such a waste of taxpayer money, it is nice to have things like that in such a miserable place. Thanks America!:up:

Giving fighting troops good chow is never a waste of taxpayer money. At least this is how this tax payer feels. :yep:

Jimbuna
09-08-08, 05:45 AM
What is the MBT the Aussies use these days :hmm:

TarJak
09-08-08, 07:07 AM
What is the MBT the Aussies use these days :hmm:We took delivery of the first 18 M1A1 Abrams a little while ago. Phasing out our old AS1 Leopards. Not sure when the rest, 59 in total purchased, get delivered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Australian_Armoured_Corps

XabbaRus
09-08-08, 07:22 AM
I've had British MREs and they are fine. I heard US ones aren't that great either. Then again is any boil in the bag food really any good?

UnderseaLcpl
09-08-08, 08:22 AM
I've had British MREs and they are fine. I heard US ones aren't that great either.

I'm sure they're okay if you like British cuisine.
The U.S. ones can be fairly good, too. It just depends on which one you get, and what kind of food you like.

Heh, I always kind of liked eating in the field for the show that accompanied it. The line to get into the MRE cases was always slow, as everybody went through the case to try to find a "good" MRE.
Once everybody got what they wanted (or what was left) the whole thing turned into a scene worthy of a street market in Marrakesh.
Everyone trading and re-trading to try and cobble a decent meal together.
"Jalapeno Cheese Sauce" was particularly prized, but not as much as regular "Cheese Sauce" unless one got one of the newer MREs with the oily, lumpy cheese sauce. Poundcake and "Cookies with pan-coated chocolate dics" (M &M cookies)
were also favorites. Any of these were easily worth a good entree or 2 good side dishes, but woe betide the poor sap that got "Country Cap'n Chicken" or "Jambalaya". They had nothing to trade.

Then again is any boil in the bag food really any good? It can be, if you're hungry enough.:D

Happy Times
09-08-08, 08:27 AM
I've had British MREs and they are fine. I heard US ones aren't that great either.

I'm sure they're okay if you like British cuisine.
The U.S. ones can be fairly good, too. It just depends on which one you get, and what kind of food you like.

Heh, I always kind of liked eating in the field for the show that accompanied it. The line to get into the MRE cases was always slow, as everybody went through the case to try to find a "good" MRE.
Once everybody got what they wanted (or what was left) the whole thing turned into a scene worthy of a street market in Marrakesh.
Everyone trading and re-trading to try and cobble a decent meal together.
"Jalapeno Cheese Sauce" was particularly prized, but not as much as regular "Cheese Sauce" unless one got one of the newer MREs with the oily, lumpy cheese sauce. Poundcake and "Cookies with pan-coated chocolate dics" (M &M cookies)
were also favorites. Any of these were easily worth a good entree or 2 good side dishes, but woe betide the poor sap that got "Country Cap'n Chicken" or "Jambalaya". They had nothing to trade.

Then again is any boil in the bag food really any good? It can be, if you're hungry enough.:D

The same show here, funny to watch adults fighting for chocolate bars.:lol:

Jimbuna
09-08-08, 09:06 AM
I've had British MREs and they are fine. I heard US ones aren't that great either. Then again is any boil in the bag food really any good?

I suppose it depends how big an appetite you have :lol:

Jimbuna
09-08-08, 09:09 AM
What is the MBT the Aussies use these days :hmm:We took delivery of the first 18 M1A1 Abrams a little while ago. Phasing out our old AS1 Leopards. Not sure when the rest, 59 in total purchased, get delivered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Australian_Armoured_Corps

You lot seem to have a closer business relationship with the US than with the UK when it comes to armament deals (OH Perry class etc) :hmm:

SUBMAN1
09-08-08, 04:20 PM
You lot seem to have a closer business relationship with the US than with the UK when it comes to armament deals (OH Perry class etc) :hmm:I doubt that. The UK and Aussies both get equal treatment. They get any weapon they want from the US as long as $$$ are available. The US treats both countries like its brother and these two countries are the only ones with preferential treatment like that. Crap, both the Aussies and the UK even have full control over the US Echelon systems. That says something right there.

-S

Jimbuna
09-08-08, 04:25 PM
You lot seem to have a closer business relationship with the US than with the UK when it comes to armament deals (OH Perry class etc) :hmm:I doubt that. The UK and Aussies both get equal treatment. They get any weapon they want from the US as long as $$$ are available. The US treats both countries like its brother and these two countries are the only ones with preferential treatment like that. Crap, both the Aussies and the UK even have full control over the US Echelon systems. That says something right there.

-S

What I meant was....the Aussies seem to be purchasing more military merchandise from the US than they do from the UK.

SUBMAN1
09-08-08, 04:32 PM

-S
What I meant was....the Aussies seem to be purchasing more military merchandise from the US than they do from the UK.Oh! My bad.

-S

bookworm_020
09-08-08, 10:14 PM

-S
What I meant was....the Aussies seem to be purchasing more military merchandise from the US than they do from the UK.

The US has missed out in some of the most recent contracts (Air warfare destroyer, Eurocopeter Tiger, MRH 90 helicopter)

It once use to be U.K. all the way, then it switched to more U.S. based material as the two nations worked side by side in many conflicts.

It comes down to who can deliver what is needed at the best match for the price, and who has a better track record on delivering on time and budget.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Air_Warfare_Destroyer

TarJak
09-09-08, 01:49 AM
Yeah what bookworm said. It all comes down to whomever give the kit we need at the best price. Also who bids for the deal plays a big part when this stuff goes out to tender as well.

SUBMAN1
09-09-08, 10:20 AM
Our tanks don't come with teapots, so I doubt we will win many more of these deals! :D :p

-S

Jimbuna
09-09-08, 02:38 PM
So where do they store the stash of Foster's :hmm:

Wreford-Brown
09-09-08, 02:44 PM
What many people don't know is that the barrel of the Challenger 2 is just the right calibre to get a couple of bottles of Grants whisky up it and the charge bins inside the turret are air conditioned to keep the charges (and bottles of Baileys) cool.

Many a time I have been entertained by my Cavalry colleagues with a cup of tea with Grants and Baileys in it.

bookworm_020
09-09-08, 08:26 PM
Our tanks don't come with teapots, so I doubt we will win many more of these deals! :D :p

-S

If it comes with a beer fridge, then your in the running!:D

SUBMAN1
09-10-08, 12:55 AM

-S
If it comes with a beer fridge, then your in the running!:DThis is some true words! Beer fridge is way more important than any 120 mm cannon rd! :up:

-S

TarJak
09-10-08, 02:32 AM
So where do they store the stash of Foster's :hmm:In their bladders if they are smart.:rotfl:

Jimbuna
09-10-08, 03:46 AM
So where do they store the stash of Foster's :hmm:In their bladders if they are smart.:rotfl:

:lol: :up: