PDA

View Full Version : No explosion sounds

Matt Sherman
09-04-08, 03:29 PM
Help!!

I've been running SHIII and recently I've lost all explosion sounds. Seem to have all others but when a torpedo hits or depth charges go off,... nothing. Deleted all files, reinstalled a clean copy, patched to 1.4, GW2.0 and upgraded to 2.1. Have some additional mods running along with GWX but can't figure out why only the explosions are silent. Any help appreciated!!
Matt Sherman:arrgh!:

Chisum
09-04-08, 03:42 PM
Damned they are found a new armament !

nirwana
09-04-08, 04:34 PM
U could try to add one of the excellent sound mods available here. Could it be simply oxydation of plugs or volume regulators that absorbs them ?

Sag75
09-04-08, 05:27 PM
..oxydation by salt water?

:rotfl:

Matt Sherman
09-07-08, 09:02 AM
50 plus reads and no real help. I was hoping at least somebody has had this issue!

Reece
09-07-08, 09:19 AM
For a start you could check the SilentHunterIII\data\Sound folder for the file "Depth charges exploding from submarine.wav" also check the file size of the Sh3.sdl file found here.
The first sound is not only used in depthcharge explosions heard from within the boat but also ship explosions when they go down.:yep: the second file is for the mixer, if this is corrupt the sound may not play, you could try replacing these & see if it fixes the problem.:yep:
And welcome to Subsim!:up:

StarLion45
09-07-08, 10:01 AM
:D hi there Matt Sherman and welcome to subsim:sunny:
Maybe it is all these mixing of mods that you installed:hmm:
You can disable those mods and try out one by one to see if that's the reason
to this strange case .
I personally never experience that thing before try it out man:p

Matt Sherman
09-07-08, 12:02 PM
Thank you for the suggestions
BTW, not new to Subsim, I have been a member since '06.
I don't have much of interest to post, I just come to get the latest news and mods. I did post a message about the passing of Leovampire. The one time I received a message from anyone on subsim, it was from him. He sent a short birthday greeting. That's the kind of guy he was, he paid attention to the little, but important things! Classy guy, the skies are a bit darker since his passing.

Matt Sherman

bigboywooly
09-07-08, 12:09 PM
Do you run SH3commander ?
Have you changed the TC settings if so ?

Sailor Steve
09-07-08, 12:19 PM
Thank you for the suggestions
BTW, not new to Subsim, I have been a member since '06.
I don't have much of interest to post, I just come to get the latest news and mods.
A lot of us don't have a lot to say, but we say it anyway. Do you only ever post when you need help? I've never seen that problem myself, and really didn't have an answer.

But I promise I would have helped if I could.

Madox58
09-07-08, 12:22 PM
I agree with Steve.
On the saying alot stuff!!
:rotfl:

But we are harmless for the most part.
:yep:
Anyway, List your mods and such.
It helps to have the details when looking at this type problem.
:hmm:

Jimbuna
09-07-08, 03:07 PM
Check your sound settings in options as well as what BBW has suggested.

maddysad
09-07-08, 05:06 PM
Hi m8

Are you using SH3 Commander.......if YES I may have solution
Check your "Time Compression" settings
"Sound Effects" should be set to "1"
Hope this helps

maddysad

Matt Sherman
10-11-08, 08:55 AM
Thank you for the responses. I hope I did not give the impression I am snobbish with regard to posting on the forum. I noted, with sadness,the passing of Leo Vampire and commented on the classiness he displayed as a member of the group, welcomed newbies, and posted a tip regarding NVidia driver issues. I come to the forum to learn, see what's new in the mods, and keep abreast of the ever changing community.
I've been a "sub gamer" since Silent Service, played 688 and was hooked with the first SH. I was greatly disappointed with SH4, and really don't even start it up any more. I view that version as a hastily constructed version that came through with a lot of good stuff, but greatly lacking the quality in SH3. (JMHO).
As to my present dilemma:
I have tried deleting ALL SH3 files, cleaning the registry of any SH3 related entries, ran a clean installation, upgraded to1.4. installed GW2.0 then 2.1.
I've run it w/o any mods running, ran single missions and still the same. The odd thing is that I've got all other sounds, wind, torpedo running, bulkhead rupture,engine sounds etc., but no sound from deck gun, depth charge, underwater sinking explosions etc. I'm inclined to think it's possibly a Windows related issue, but what it can possibly be, I am clueless. I've got no problems with any other playback on other applications. I AM STUPEFIED!!!!:o

Reise
10-11-08, 05:43 PM
Do you use SH3 commander as asked above ?

muser
10-13-08, 12:20 PM
Hi Matt Sherman,

Well, as luck would have it . . . I've recently had the same problem you've encountered. I'd been away from the game for about a year, and had completely removed it from my hard drive. A few weeks ago I decided to reinstall and upgrade to GWX 2.1. everything worked and looked great, except no ship explosion sounds -- very strange.

I finally determined the problem to be my sound card settings. I have a SBLive! 24-bit card, and here is what I did to fix it:

-->Go to your "Start" menu and open "Control Panel"

--> open "Sounds and Audio Devices"

--> Under the "Volume" tab go down to "Speaker Settings" and click on the "Advanced" button

--> In the new window select the "Performance" tab

--> click on the "Restore Defaults" button (very important)

--> Under the "Audio Playback" section, if hardware acceleration is set to "Full" then move the "Hardware acceleration" slider one notch to the left, to "Standard acceleration"

--> Click "Apply", "OK", etc. to close all the windows and restart your computer.

Start SHIII and hopefully you will have all your sounds back. If it is working fine, you might want to try setting your sound card's hardware acceleration back to "Full acceleration", and try SHII again. If it is still working to your satisfaction, then leave it at the "Full" setting -- otherwise set it back to "Standard acceleration."

Hope this works for you.

Muser

Matt Sherman
10-27-08, 07:16 PM
thanks to all who offered up suggestions, but still no boom. Running Cmdr's Edition, tried eliminating all mods, checked time compression settings, adjusted sound properties in control panel. Still stumped. It is quite frustrating to watch a big freighter blow into pieces in silence. The big bang is one of the best parts of the game:down:

Brag
10-27-08, 08:30 PM
Hopefully you get proper kabooms, soon. :D