PDA

View Full Version : How do you play the game?

HuskerNlincoln
09-04-08, 02:32 PM
I was curious how do you all play the game?

I noticed that I am still so amazed by the graphics, the water, the ships exploding, the life rafts and debris, the weather, all of it, that I tend to spend more time watching the game.....outside the uboat.

What I would like to try, is to spend most of the time trying to get the feel of total immersion of the uboat.

I think that with all the mods such as sound, ambient background noises, the gramaphone, messages, sounds of the ocean. Maybe it would be great to try and stay inside or on the boat.

Do you all spend your time while playing say outside watching? Following the path of the eel with the camera view? Sitting at your intended victims point a view? or maybe sitting on the map view with TC on in hopes of finding something?

Do you just sit at the control room view? Maybe hang out in the Captians bunk until something happens?

This game has the ability of being either a great game to watch and play, or actually a great uboat simulation.

Just curious.:lol:

nirwana
09-04-08, 03:00 PM
Actually i have the priviledge to play while working on seperate puters so im never in a hurry and can spend RL hrs to prepare a convoy attack and more hrs to maximize the inflicting damage and carefully calculate the necessairy escape tactics. Im usually in the tactical view due to my reality settings and mods. Once i spot a convoy i attack it upto 3x until im out of eals or out of order.

h.sie
09-04-08, 03:03 PM
i have no time to play, because i am testing mod after mod in order to get the perfect game......:p

STEED
09-04-08, 03:05 PM
I throw bucket after bucket of ice cold water over myself and get my mate to shout out "ALARM" every so often. :lol:

Then I relax with a U-Boat cocktail.

HuskerNlincoln
09-04-08, 03:09 PM
I throw bucket after bucket of ice cold water over myself and get my mate to shout out "ALARM" every so often. :lol:

Too Funny, While I'm playing I ask my wife to dress up as a mechanic and at the top of every hour come in and yell "Hey Sailor, Torpedo This"!

I can't understand why I have to sleep on the couch now?

Blacklight
09-04-08, 03:12 PM
I spend 99% of the time on the map screen plotting courses and planning areas to stake out using the convoy rout maps. Then when I find something... I can spend a long time plotting out my attack. I usually fire, retract the periscope and do a change of direction/depth and then change the camera view so I can watch the target and the impact.
I have two monitors and I run SHIII in a window on one screen, so when I'm hunting on the map screen, I'm often web browsing or doing research on the other.

nirwana
09-04-08, 03:13 PM
@ steed

Isnt that a ritual in american football ?

STEED
09-04-08, 03:19 PM

Too Funny, While I'm playing I asked my wife to dress up as a mechanic and at the top of every hour come in a yell "Hey Sailor, Torpedo This"!

:huh: :o :) :D :lol: :rotfl:

Jimbuna
09-04-08, 03:19 PM
Don't shower or shave for three months http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

STEED
09-04-08, 03:20 PM
@ steed

Isnt that a ritual in american football ?

Nah they use sponges and whipped cream. :shifty:

Red Heat
09-04-08, 03:21 PM

Too Funny, While I'm playing I asked my wife to dress up as a mechanic and at the top of every hour come in a yell "Hey Sailor, Torpedo This"!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chisum
09-04-08, 03:31 PM
I still plays totally immersed in the game !

When the storm is, I plunged my feet in a large basin filled with salt water and a huge fan breath of air glossy on my face.
And for me warm up, I go out my bottles of schnapps.

Sometimes, I confess, I pay a little oil in the water basin to breathe more true and good smell of this precious liquid.

In critical period, I close all windows and doors. Then I do some firecrackers explode whenever I am attacked and I fire a piece of cloth wet to generate smoke.

I must still find a way to plunge lower. I find a system to put my apartment on a lift cage to go down, but my neighbours at the bottom do not seem to be really ok...

(It's really sad that Google can't makes a good translation of my precis sentences...)

Chisum
09-04-08, 03:47 PM
Oh, I would have another small question: how do you do to return immersed in the real life ?

:hmm:

HuskerNlincoln
09-04-08, 04:06 PM
Oh, I would have another small question: how do you do to return immersed in the real life ?

I have no idea, I'm still on the couch!

Jimbuna
09-04-08, 04:25 PM

I have no idea, I'm still on the couch!

LOL :lol:

Sag75
09-04-08, 05:34 PM
I'm almost forced to play in navmap station.. because my laptop is not so performing in 3D and moreover gets hot too much (the DDs could hear my cooling fan!)

Murr44
09-05-08, 02:26 PM
Most of my time is spent at the map screen or bridge with occasional visits to the crew management screen.

Brag
09-05-08, 03:01 PM
When nothing is happening, I play at TCx128 so most of the time is on chart view. When on TCx1 I'm wherever needed.

When reading, I'm usually on the bridge at TCx1

HuskerNlincoln
09-05-08, 04:19 PM
I notice that I like to sit at the map desk and play with the TC on as well.

When we spot something, I have a habit of wanting to go see what it is. So I go to exterior camera view.

I just learned about the Control F2 key to freely move about the ship so I'm having fun with that.

Also, did you know that if you're at the periscope and hit the 0 key you will get a view of the periscope like you're standing in front of it, if you hit the 0 key again then you get a view of the conning tower. Didn't know that one either!

Bosje
09-05-08, 05:25 PM
ah yes, immersion

tc x 128 on map most of the days of the patrol, but i'd say i spend most gaming time in some or other 3d environment. just love standing on the bridge, in the control room or in the radio room. or in my bed while watching telly or reading a book

just for fun, try this: disable external (and ofc. event-) camera. then listen to the torpedoes as they congregate with the screws. much more interesting in fact than watching the wake track towards the hull in the outside cam. you'll spend more time identifying targets and getting things done from the inside of the boat, it's likely to be more rewarding

anyway that's how i like to play and it hasn't gotten boring yet :)

Pisces
09-05-08, 06:41 PM
Map view most of the time. (I have this weird fetish when it comes to maps and atlasses. They make me at ease. Everytime I walk past a streetmap I feel the need to examine it. Google Earth/Maps? Tishews needed!) When nothing is going on I keep an eye out for contact reports while listening to the Gramaphone. Which does get repetative soon, but that's realism for 'ya. Allways with moderate TC (64x-128x). Until I have made visual contact (or should soon) then stay at TC 1x. Most of the time I await a visual contact while looking through the (OLC Gui) Observation scope in the expected direction. Except in the night I use the binoculars mostly because they are less blinding. I mostly ask my watch officer for bearings and range as I plot so that's done via the map aswel.

I have my crew arranged in a 2-shift system so I only go to the crew panel when needed to switch them. The crew I have now hardly need babysitting (just nap-time every 2 hours).

As for staying on your uboat or not. Yes, I feel the free-cam is too free and reveiling. Conningtower view is as free view as I allow myself. Torpedo cams I allow myself to see where and how they meet their appointments. Also for reasons of eyecandy. But I'll turn that off eventually. Bosje makes a compelling argument.

Task Force
09-05-08, 06:48 PM
I find that this is the game that has pulled me in the most.:yep: Sh4 may have the graphics but not the same feeling, Theres just something diffrent.:hmm: I have a habbit of getting into the game and staying on it for days.:D Never been so intrested is subs in my life.:rotfl: My friends know me as the sub boy.:know: