PDA

View Full Version : RIP Lieutenant Commander Frazer VC

moscowexile
09-04-08, 07:57 AM
The man who, together with his 4-man midget XE3 submarine, sank the IJN heavy cruiser Takao 6 days before the end of the war, died September 1st. Lt-Cdr Frazer RNVR and his diver were each awarded the VC for their courage.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/ltcdr-ian-fraser-vc-submarine-commander-who-sank-the-japanese-cruiser-takao-917999.html

Having read the above obituary wherein the lieutenant-commander's and his crew's hair raising exploits are described, I couldn't help but wonder at the seeming futility of war: had they waited a few more days, they needn't have bothered.

Rockin Robbins
09-04-08, 09:24 AM
I couldn't help but wonder at the seeming futility of war: had they waited a few more days, they needn't have bothered.

In this case peace was to come only as a result of resounding, unambiguous victory in war. Having no cause to believe that any single event was going to bring victory, they did all they could do to contribute to that result. Futility is working toward an undesirable result. The result of the war in the Pacific was victory—and lasting peace through the restoration of Japan as a great nation of the world.

How can that bring ruminations on its futility? Fashionable, yes. Truth, no.

Seminole
09-04-08, 04:17 PM
futility of war...:-?

?

Futile: 1.the quality of being futile; ineffectiveness; uselessness. 2.a trifle or frivolity: the large collection of futilities that clutter our minds. 3.a futile act or event.

War stopped world domination by nazism and Japanese militarism, has ended slavery on occassion, and achieved freedom for millions either through national independence or halting aggression ...I would hardly say these were examples of a futile endeavor. :o

But anyway shouldn't this be down in General Discussion?..:yep: