PDA

View Full Version : Merchant ships - how do you see flags at night?

notanameleft
09-04-08, 05:10 AM
Hi everyone! I'm just getting back into this game having not played it for some time - incredible work you guys have done on GWX and the OLCE ubermod.

As GWX doesn't show on the map if a merchant is allied or enemy - could anyone tell me if i'm doing something wrong, I'm having difficulty when lining up an attack at night. I have to get pretty close to be able to see the flag at all but in particular I'm finding it difficult to tel the difference between Irish, French and Italian. In the daylight it would be easy but in the dark the colours don't show up - I torp'd an Irish merchant by mistake thinking it was french. As it was going down i surfaced right by its stern and still couldn't properly make out which flag it's mean to be. Almost feel like my watch crew could do with a torch - although i suppose that's not very stealth like!:rotfl:

Is this just one of those situations where the game is just being realistic? Or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!

nirwana
09-04-08, 05:52 AM
At night depending on the actual weather and ure speed u can get close (400-2000m) enough to read the flag without being detected by the merchant. Last resort would be to get into the path of it, submerge and use ure scope, surface again after the distance is large enough and run ure attack if its an enemy.

notanameleft
09-04-08, 06:42 AM
thanks! I have been about 2 metres from the flag though and because it's dark it's really hard to make out the colours i.e. the orange in the irish flag doesn't look orange because it's dark. Kind of like trying to look at colours under a different coloured light

the british flag is easy but the shape of the irish is exactly the same as the tricolore french flag or Italian. Is it just me? how on earth can you tell in the dark especially from a couple of hundred metres away

maybe i should follow the vessel for a few hours and then look again when it's lighter? :doh:

G.K.
09-04-08, 06:43 AM
In GWX neutral ships have their lights on... when the ship is darkened, sink it...:-?

GoldenRivet
09-04-08, 07:06 AM
In GWX neutral ships have their lights on... when the ship is darkened, sink it...:-?
the are neutrals and friendly ships without lights on... i promise ;)

at night you just have to close the range and take a look... thats all you can do.

and it is important... renown is everything when it comes to upgrading your boat and acquiring new officers and crew... make mistakes at sea, and you lose renown... this is a bad thing!

sharkbit
09-04-08, 08:09 AM

How true....

I try to identify the nationality of all targets when possible, however....

I stalked a darkened ship out in the Atlantic at night, got into firing position from less than 1000m and hit her with a torpedo. I was going to wait around and see if she needed to be finished off with the deck gun and was looking at her with the external camera and noticed the Brazilian flag flying. This is mid '41 and Brazil becomes an allied unit in '42. Oops :oops: .

Well, I beat it out of there as quick as I could so if/when she sank, I wouldn't get nailed for sinking a neutral and I can tell Bdu "Ummm.....it wasn't me. We weren't even in the area at the time."

Now, neutrals in convoys...that's a different matter. If a neutral happens to be sailing in a convoy, protected by English warships, they're fair game in my book, renown be damned. :p

Letum
09-04-08, 08:58 AM
Ideally you should pick your targets in the day and attack at night.

G.K.
09-04-08, 12:10 PM

Yes, but not so often. Either way you can simply recognize enemy from a neutral or ally by appaering ,,merchant spotted!" window with options - it appears only when the ship is enemy...;)

Sailor Steve
09-04-08, 12:11 PM
In my research of ship names, guess what I've come across? A whole lot of neutrals sunk because the captains misidentified them. I found references to several Spanish ships sunk by u-boats just in the last two days.

It happened. It stinks. Best advice: attack convoys by night and lone ships by day.

STEED
09-04-08, 12:51 PM

And Allies. :yep:

I made it up with Marshal Mannerheim. ;)

Chisum
09-04-08, 02:32 PM
Few days ago, august 1940, I meet an american cargo all light off...
Order from Bdu says in that case we may open the fire.
When I watch she is american, I stop the fire and she don't sunk(but was in flames)...

But if she sunks, what's happend after ??
:-?

meduza
09-04-08, 03:12 PM
Few days ago, august 1940, I meet an american cargo all light off...
Order from Bdu says in that case we may open the fire.
When I watch she is american, I stop the fire and she don't sunk(but was in flames)...

But if she sunks, what's happend after ??
:-? Nothing much :D. You will lose some renown (the amount is equal to the amount you would get for sinking the same ship if it was enemy), and the nation whose ship you sank will be hostile to you for 24 hours.

Regarding the lights, they are not the accurate method for recognizing friend or foe. Many neutrals sail darkened, they can be found in convoys too. And when a nation joins the Allies, its ships who are already at sea with the lights on, will not turn them off. I sank a large number of American ships with the nav lights on in December 1941, just after they entered the war.

The only method of identification is the flag, which obviously doesn't work very well at night, and you will sometimes sink a wrong ship. Just try not to sink one of ours.:arrgh!:

Blacklight
09-04-08, 03:13 PM
If it's not lit, you must shoot it.

Chisum
09-04-08, 03:16 PM
GWX team must gives us a spotlight to identified the flag !
:p

Jimbuna
09-04-08, 03:18 PM
Not all neutrals are lit up....ensure a positive ID before despatching http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

GoldenRivet
09-04-08, 03:28 PM
Yes, but not so often. Either way you can simply recognize enemy from a neutral or ally by appaering ,,merchant spotted!" window with options - it appears only when the ship is enemy...;)

i have this window disabled :up:

100% realism immersion = i have to look at the flag :D

Red Heat
09-04-08, 03:29 PM
Hi everyone! I'm just getting back into this game having not played it for some time - incredible work you guys have done on GWX and the OLCE ubermod.

As GWX doesn't show on the map if a merchant is allied or enemy - could anyone tell me if i'm doing something wrong, I'm having difficulty when lining up an attack at night. I have to get pretty close to be able to see the flag at all but in particular I'm finding it difficult to tel the difference between Irish, French and Italian. In the daylight it would be easy but in the dark the colours don't show up - I torp'd an Irish merchant by mistake thinking it was french. As it was going down i surfaced right by its stern and still couldn't properly make out which flag it's mean to be. Almost feel like my watch crew could do with a torch - although i suppose that's not very stealth like!:rotfl:

Is this just one of those situations where the game is just being realistic? Or is there something I'm missing?

We dont...we sniff the air serching for fresh blood, works all the time! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Drakken
09-04-08, 04:15 PM

It is realistic. And not all merchants had their true country flags. Use of false flags and lights in the night to hide the fact that the ship was an enemy merchantman was a real possibility. Unless you had updated ship registries inside your submarine to check the ship's identity, property and country of registration, you could never be sure if the ship was really neutral. But of course, in the game the ships always display their real country flags.

In the Buchheim's novel Das Boot, such a near-miss happened. On their way back to the Bay of Biscaye they stop a ship which seem a Spanish neutral. However the 1WO cannot find the ship in the Uboot's registry book, so Der Alte instructs the target to put a canoe on the water, or they will sink the ship. They do not act fast enough to his liking, so the sub shoots a torpedo to sink it. Fortunately, the eel is a dud, and the Spanish captain finally puts a canoe at sea to join the submarine.

In the end the Navigator finds the ship in the updates annexed to the registry, confirming that it was an old American ship that was bought by Spaniards fishermen, and thus really a neutral ship. Useless to say, the 1WO got severely reprimanded for his oversight. Just imagine the consequence if a German ship had sunk a Spanish vessel in Spanish waters. :o:o:o:o:o:o:o

However, it all depends on position. You always want to be abeam of your target.

a) Take marks and compute the target's course and speed as far as possible. Make sure the course line is dead center on the middle of the target ship's bow and stern. When you have the target's course, turn on the same course yourself a faster speed to place yourself abeam of the target. Take the time it takes to reach a position in front of the target to enter the target's speed in the TDC.

b) When in position, veer to place yourself in front of the target's course at a 90 degrees angle from the target's course, then go in periscope depth. Try to get within a very close range from the course line (800 to 1200m) and wait for the target to get closer following her course.

I usually use the compass to delimitate a "kill zone" with the center of the compass directly on the course line at a bearing I'd like to fire at. This zone is generally 1000m wide, and when the ship enters that zone it means I can fire at will if I ever identify it.

c) Compute the fire solution in case of positive identification, either at a point in advance or directly on target. You already have the speed and range (hopefully), and since the course is drawn you can calculate the AoB on the navigation map. You may even predict what the AoB the ship will be at a given point at if it continues on its predicted course. That is a killer if your data solution is made to fire at a preselected bearing.

d) Go to periscope to check from time to time if you may see the flag. Each time that you cannot see the flag, update the fire solution to be ready to fire anytime. Usually, you'll be able to see when the AoB becomes closer to 90 degrees, because the target should be getting closer from you.

e1) If you see it is a neutral, pull down the periscope and let is pass.
e2) If it is enemy, update the data one last time and shoot away.
e3) If you cannot see, take a decision. Either shoot anyway, or evade the target.

notanameleft
09-05-08, 04:05 AM
hey everyone, thanks for the response - i'm pleased to hear it's not just me and the general concensus is this is realistic, those uboat commanders would have been in the same situation

I didn't realise you can leg it out of the area before the ship goes down if you've got a bit trigger happy. I was delighted with myself a couple of weeks ago when i hit two big merchants and then realised they were Irish! Felt a bit monty-python-like, "sorry about that" etc

It took them a while to go down - if this were to happen again (!) and there's a chance of getting away before they sink... does anyone know how far away you have to get to save your renown?

meduza
09-05-08, 04:35 AM
does anyone know how far away you have to get to save your renown? 32 km. That's the rendering radius, and the game doesn't keep track of the ship's damage once she goes beyond that. If you come back to the ship, you'll find it undamaged.

Captain Nemo
09-05-08, 05:30 AM
You will lose some renown (the amount is equal to the amount you would get for sinking the same ship if it was enemy), and the nation whose ship you sank will be hostile to you for 24 hours.

Is this correct regarding the hostilities from the neutral nation you sunk for 24 hours? The reason I ask is because in my haste to sink a Passenger Cargo in June 1940 I didn't notice it was flying the US flag:oops: . In my defence, it was pitch black and she was blacked out and sailing towards the English coast. Anyway, since the sinking, on two separate occassions I have seen an Irish Hurricane and me thinking it was a neutral and I was quite safe was astonished to see it dive on me and open fire! Luckily I escaped both attacks without any serious problems, but if what meduza says is correct, I would expect it from a US aircraft/ship but not from the Irish (and I thought they were sympathetic towards the Germans during WWII;) ).

Nemo

={FH}=Paddy
09-05-08, 07:25 AM
Ahoy! :arrgh!:
After a prolonged stint on terra firma (1 year) and having recently read "Iron Coffins" i have decided to take to the seas in my old “Wave Scythe”! From the sounds of it and from reading as many of these posts as i can, GWX is going to be a wonderful and exciting new challenge. Cracking job guys. :up:
I plan on setting off to the murky depths tonight on a first mission and shall try and experience this issue with identifying ships at night and pray that I don’t send some poor unsuspecting Irish rust bucket to the bottom of the soup bowl in error! :doh: (Being Irish myself, that would not be a good thing nor start!) Thanks for all the great tips and hints here. Cheers, I’ll most certainly be back for more!!!
PS: "notanameleft", thanks for asking this question, even if you are sinking Irish ships!!!:)

kylania
09-05-08, 07:30 AM
Welcome to SubSim and SHIII Paddy!

Red Heat
09-05-08, 07:51 AM
Welcome to the wolfpack... :D

Sailor Steve
09-05-08, 12:28 PM
It is realistic. And not all merchants had their true country flags. Use of false flags and lights in the night to hide the fact that the ship was an enemy merchantman was a real possibility. Unless you had updated ship registries inside your submarine to check the ship's identity, property and country of registration, you could never be sure if the ship was really neutral. But of course, in the game the ships always display their real country flags.
Which is why they stopped neutral ships and examined cargoes and papers.

Just imagine the consequence if a German ship had sunk a Spanish vessel in Spanish waters. :o:o:o:o:o:o:o
Apparently not much of a consequense at all.
http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/1151.html
http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/1223.html
http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/266.html
http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/2854.html

Kuckoo
09-05-08, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Drakken:
Just imagine the consequence if a German ship had sunk a Spanish vessel in Spanish waters. :o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Originally posted by Sailor Steve:

Steve,
I have previously seen the same information, and you have beaten me to it. It seems to me that, with the exception of American ships (of which there are only a few examples of sinkings), the BdU treated almost all neutral ships are fair game in almost any circumstances - and it appears they got away with it! Why they attacked so many neutral ships (Spanish, Swedish, Danish and especially Norwegian, plus many others) and how they got away with it, are things that genuinely puzzle me. I have tried to find explanations, but cannot find anything which deals with this issue.

Since sinking neutrals was evidently acceptable to BdU, I have amended the relevant .cfg file, as suggested in another thread. I then play to my own "house rules" to stop me doing anything crass.

Drakken
09-05-08, 01:38 PM
Quote:

Steve,
I have previously seen the same information, and you have beaten me to it. It seems to me that, with the exception of American ships (of which there are only a few examples of sinkings), the BdU treated almost all neutral ships are fair game in almost any circumstances - and it appears they got away with it! Why they attacked so many neutral ships (Spanish, Swedish, Danish and especially Norwegian, plus many others) and how they got away with it, are things that genuinely puzzle me. I have tried to find explanations, but cannot find anything which deals with this issue.

Since sinking neutrals was evidently acceptable to BdU, I have amended the relevant .cfg file, as suggested in another thread. I then play to my own "house rules" to stop me doing anything crass.

Weren't the majority of neutral ships sunk while in convoy? If it is the case, there was no way to know if the ship was neutral or not.

Jimbuna
09-05-08, 02:10 PM
Welcome aboard Kaleun ={FH}=Paddy http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Kuckoo
09-05-08, 08:33 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Kuckoo:
Steve,

Weren't the majority of neutral ships sunk while in convoy? If it is the case, there was no way to know if the ship was neutral or not.

That might have been the case in later years - I really don't know. But a study of the Norwegian experience in the early months of the war shows something quite different. With reference to uboat.net, I identified thirty-five Norwegian merchants sunk by u-boats in the seven months before the German invasion of 9 April 1940: this, by the way, is more than one per week - clearly not all accidental. NONE of these ships are identified as having been "in convoy". Some were in the Western Approaches, but most were in the North Sea - some closer to Norway than to Britain. Some appear to have been stopped first, both most were attacked without warning, some going down with all hands. On 25 January 1940, the Norwegian steam merchant "Biarritz" was torpedoed by U14 only 36 miles of the coast of neurtral Holland: 21 survived, but 37 were killed.

It's all very strange. If you follow up the links provided by Sailor Steve, you will see that on 18 February 1940, a Spanish ship called the "Banderas" was torpedoed and sunk by U53 only eight miles off the north-west coast of Spain, killing twenty-two. Why??!!! Common sense tells us that, while Germany might not have had much reason to actively fear Franco's Spain, there was a potentially major benefit in persuading it to join the war on the Axis side. Sinking its ships and killing its sailors within sight of its own coast is not the best way to win friends and influence people, methinks. How Spain reated, I do not know.

Kuckoo

Greystone
09-05-08, 09:00 PM
I had been tracking a trawler the other night; it was too dark to make out the flag markings, but I noticed that the stealth meter was still green after I'd approached close enough for them to see me.. and it stayed green all the way up to where I was right alongside it.
Turns out it was Norwegian (1939). It appears that the stealth meter (noise meter) will stay green if the vessel in question is allied to Germany or neutral.
If you've disabled the stealth meter in the realism settings, you can still make out the nationality by turning up the brightness setting on your monitor, if it's available, which is what I did in the above example.

Sailor Steve
09-06-08, 01:32 AM
@ Kuckoo: In the cases of Norway and Spain, I don't know. Maybe they figured those two countries were ripe for the plucking and didn't care what they thought. Maybe they came up with official excuses we haven't seen yet. All I know is that it happened, and there doesn't seem to have been too much of a fuss.

Kuckoo
09-06-08, 04:47 AM
I also have had problems in identifying flags at night. In transit to an Atlantic patrol in October 1939, I came across a merchant travelling NNE in the North Sea around midnight. I moved up quite close to it in the darkness and identified it as an Ore Carrier, but could not make out the flag. Now, as stated somewhere above, I have adjusted my .cfg file to give me credit for sinking neutrals. But even with this, my "house rules" require the neutral to be within 250km of the British coast and on a heading either to or from Britain before I will attack. This ship was too far out and on an ambiguous heading. So I decided to stalk it off its starboard bow until dawn, when I hoped to identify its nationality. I even remembered to cross to the port bow to minimise detection against the rising sun. Despite this, the merchant seemed to spot me before I could identify it, because it started to zig-zag. By now I had convinced myself that it was Norwegian or Danish, and approached it openly to make sure. And as I got closer? Bless my soul!.....it turned out to be British. By now I was very close, and it slowed right down, virtually stopped. Somehow it did not seem right to sink it, but as I looked at it and it looked at me, it got kind of embarrassing.......

......so I sank it with my deck-gun!!!

Sailor Steve
09-06-08, 11:32 AM
Cheaters never prosper!
:rotfl:

I suspect it was my suggestion you saw in that other thread. I changed my 'Renown Awarded' for neutrals to '0'. That way I don't get punished for it, but I don't get any credit either. It just turns into a waste of good torpedoes.

nikbear
09-06-08, 09:08 PM
Welcome aboard ={FH}=Paddy:up:

Drakken
09-06-08, 09:10 PM
Cheaters never prosper!
:rotfl:

I suspect it was my suggestion you saw in that other thread. I changed my 'Renown Awarded' for neutrals to '0'. That way I don't get punished for it, but I don't get any credit either. It just turns into a waste of good torpedoes.

Interesting... :|\\

Task Force
09-06-08, 09:19 PM
Ive had a close incounter with the merchent kind in those storms where you cant see past the front of the boat. I once was saining of the cost of norway when out of the fog comes a merchent that slams into me. Never saw it comeing.:rotfl:

Captain Nemo
09-08-08, 05:37 AM
You will lose some renown (the amount is equal to the amount you would get for sinking the same ship if it was enemy), and the nation whose ship you sank will be hostile to you for 24 hours.

Is this correct regarding the hostilities from the neutral nation you sunk for 24 hours? The reason I ask is because in my haste to sink a Passenger Cargo in June 1940 I didn't notice it was flying the US flag:oops: . In my defence, it was pitch black and she was blacked out and sailing towards the English coast. Anyway, since the sinking, on two separate occassions I have seen an Irish Hurricane and me thinking it was a neutral and I was quite safe was astonished to see it dive on me and open fire! Luckily I escaped both attacks without any serious problems, but if what meduza says is correct, I would expect it from a US aircraft/ship but not from the Irish (and I thought they were sympathetic towards the Germans during WWII;) ).

Nemo

Apologies for bumping this thread back to the top, but any views on my query regarding the sinking of a neutral would be appreciated. It's just that I am a bit puzzled by this one.

Thanks.

Nemo

Steel_Tomb
09-08-08, 06:05 AM
I remember one convoy which only had one DD escorting it, I dispatched that and had free reign over the shipping. I sank 15 ships, without thinking to ID any of them. After I finished I realized that there had been about 5 neutral ships in the pack which I'd taken down lol :oops::arrgh!:...

moral of the story - ALWAYS check the flag!

Kielhauler1961
09-08-08, 08:57 AM
With regards to German-Spanish relations up until 1943, Adolf was providing Franco with essential supplies to help rebuild the shattered Spanish economy. Although not as much as Spain wanted, it made a huge difference. Remember the country was slowly recovering from a catastrophic civil war and didn't have the resourses, capability or enthusiasm for the greater war that Germany wanted to involve it in.

After November 1940, when Franco made it plain to Hitler he wasn't going to get involved unless Britain fell, I guess the gloves came off. Franco was one of the few people who got the better of Adolf in face-to-face exchanges. After one meeting, Hitler told his adjutant "I'd rather have three or four teeth pulled-out than go throught that again!"

Sweden was as all about hard cash and the realities of life. Germany paid in gold for Swedish minerals, so a few unfortunate sinkings here and there were 'excusable'. There was a tacit agreement between them that Sweden would remain 'sovereign' so long as she was helpful to Germany. The transportation of German troops across Swedish territory before Barbarossa being a case in point.

Right from the start, Norway put it's merchant marine at the service of Britain. Norwegian ships were therefore considered fair game as they could be readily assumed to be carrying contraband, especially if in the North Sea. American ships were avoided wherever possible because she was just that bit bigger than Norway, but what they did was even more illegal. Thank God for lend-lease and 'cash & carry', but it was technically against the law at the time! If you doubt me, type 'USS Reuben James' into wikipedia. The only reason I'm here today is because of food aid my mother received from the United States of America (God bless 'em!):rock:

The 'prize rules' of WW1 could not be enforced or expected in the age of modern aircraft, so they were ignored once Hitler realised Britain and France were actually up for a fight.

Kuckoo
09-08-08, 05:49 PM
@ Kielhauler

Very interesting stuff. I agree with you entirely about the USA. It appears Germany only sank US ships inadvertantly. Very good point about US aid to Britain pre December 1941. I echo your sentiments entirely.

You are probably right about Norway, also. Reading accounts of attacks on Norwegian shipping before April 1940, although some seem entirely inexplicable, most appear to have been made on ships en route to or from Britain: the flag of neutrality never saved them. With reference to your reference about Norway's merchant marine being put to the service of Britain, it's probably worth adding that this considerable merchant navy continued in the Allied cause throughout the war, suffering very many losses. Indeed, the Royal Norwegian Navy escaped to Britain and provided, amongst other things, considerable escort contingents in the Battle of the Atlantic - something few of us Brits would realise. In this respect, Norway was never entirely conquered.

I know almost nothing of Spanish history after 1640, so the information you provide is new to me. From what you say, Hitler was on a loser with Franco almost from Day One.

Sweden intrigues me, though. From the little I know, I would agree with the importance of the mineral trade etc. However, if uboat.net is to be believed (and I see no reason why not) the "unfortunate sinkings here and there" added up to eighty-eight before the war ended - two-thirds of these were out of convoy. This started from the first weeks of the war, and resulted in the deaths of many Swedish sailors. Very clumsy from a diplomatic point of view, even by the standards of Nazi Germany!

Kuckoo
09-08-08, 06:03 PM
@ Sailor Steve

Credit where credit is due! Yes, it was your suggestion that I took up. I have taken it one step further though by amending Reknown Awarded to "1" - hence the need for "house rules". These are:

1) ALL merchant ships in a British convoy are "fair game".
2) ALL merchant ships (except American) are "fair game" if doing anything within 50km of the British coast.
3) ALL merchant ships (except American) are "fair game" if with 250km of the British coast and travelling on a heading either to or from Britain.

This is clearly very aggressive by normal game standards, but probably quite mild compared with the recorded activities of the U-boatwaffe. Technically I could stack up a lot of reknown by sinking, on returning to Wilhelmshaven, any neutral shipping I found at anchor! However, if I did that, I would probably never sleep soundly again - and frankly, would not deserve to!

Kuckoo

PS. In addition to benefiting from your "neutrals" suggestion, I also use the "Sailor Steve Sound Mod". Many thanks for making that available, mate. It really adds to the experience!

Kielhauler1961
09-09-08, 04:24 AM
@ Kuckoo,

Check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain_in_World_War_II

I also posted it in the 'Supply ships' thread so I hope I don't get creamed for double-posting!

I notice your location is S. Wales... You wouldn't happen to be anywhere near The Gnoll would you?

={FH}=Paddy
09-09-08, 10:42 AM
Firstly, thank you all for you kind and warm welcomes. My first patrol in just over a year of land mongering did not quite go as I had hoped and planned.
With a year away my memory seems to have been effected and shortcut keys forgotten as a result! Not to mentioned my reactions to emergencies using the, now over familiar standard gaming keys of “W-A-S-D”, most unhealthy hitting the “D” key in error when in 50m of water! :damn:Realizing my fumbling key error I drastically tried to rectify and compensate it by going to periscope depth only to miss hitting the “P” key and sending my self in to a “Hard a’ Port” downward spiral! :rotfl:Despite obvious hull damage I did however manage to survive the inevitable sea floor collision only to be soon pummeled and sunk by three destroyers on DC runs over head. All while trying to ascertain the nationality of outer convoy ships in the dark!!! A most unhealthy exercise!
So a rusty start it was and it is most definitely back to basics for me, I was not even at sea log enough to build up any rust on my hull, let alone the odd barnacle!
One question I do have for you all is, how can one check ones Hull integrity after such a sea floor encounter? In the past I vaguely remember being able to see a “Hull integrity” percentage displayed via the Crew Management screen but this is no more?:hmm:
(Sorry if I am asking questions out of topic context, my advance apologies if this is the case and please let me know either way)
Cheers all – “a disgruntled yet not defeated rusty old Kaleun”!;)

sharkbit
09-09-08, 12:12 PM
One question I do have for you all is, how can one check ones Hull integrity after such a sea floor encounter? In the past I vaguely remember being able to see a “Hull integrity” percentage displayed via the Crew Management screen but this is no more?:hmm:

Stock had it, GWX did away with that.
However, if you have SH3 Commander, it gives you an option of displaying hull integrity.

:)

={FH}=Paddy
09-09-08, 12:30 PM
Thaks sharkbit for the clarification mate, i just might look in to getting SH3 Commander installed. from what i have read, it is a tasty little nugget to have added. I'm just worried about Mod conflicts at such an early return to the high seas. I'll give it a bash. Thanks again mate. :up:

Sailor Steve
09-09-08, 12:49 PM
@ Kuckoo: Good ideas on the "1" renown. I don't trust myself to stick to those limitations, so for the time being I'll stay with "0".

PS. In addition to benefiting from your "neutrals" suggestion, I also use the "Sailor Steve Sound Mod". Many thanks for making that available, mate. It really adds to the experience!
Also in the interest of giving credit where credit is due, don't forget the readme. I didn't create DBSM, I just converted it for SH3.

Thaks sharkbit for the clarification mate, i just might look in to getting SH3 Commander installed. from what i have read, it is a tasty little nugget to have added. I'm just worried about Mod conflicts at such an early return to the high seas. I'll give it a bash. Thanks again mate. :up:
Commander is the prime tool for controlling every parameter of gameplay. Don't worry about compatability - it's not a mod at all; it's an external tool that lets you shape the way things work. We all use it with GWX, NYGM, WAC and every other mod made for the game. It doesn't care.

={FH}=Paddy
09-09-08, 12:56 PM
Thanks a million "Sailor Steve". You guys are a fountain of knowledge and these forums so informative - i'll try and curtail silly questions!! Cheers mate:D

sharkbit
09-09-08, 02:06 PM
Thanks a million "Sailor Steve". You guys are a fountain of knowledge and these forums so informative - i'll try and curtail silly questions!! Cheers mate:D

Never be afraid to ask a question. This forum is chock full of friendly and helpful people!
:D