PDA

View Full Version : Not the usual Fuel Question

GunnersMate
09-02-08, 07:41 AM
OK I'm on a patrol in Celebes when I spot a medium convoy. I take out a couple freighters and a destroyer on my egress. Second time around I get greedy :doh: and caught a D/C square on. :down: I was able to get that SOB with a MK27 :arrgh!: . (love thos cuties:rock: ) Anyways I was able to limp back to the tender just east of Celebes with about 68 Hull damage and a destroyed battery, radio, periscopes, and a diesel. I noticed right afterwards my diesel went to about 30-35 so I figured a bunker tank was venting. No problem I can get it fixed. After leaving said tender (and I got a lot of not so tender things to say to those engs:damn: ) I run into a small H/K group about 20 miles out. I've seen about a dozen of these thing and they always consist of a gunboat and a subchaser and I thought Lunch Time!:hulk: It was actually a gunboat and an Akizuki :gulp: I hightail it out of there but its to late and the destroyers coming my way. I go PD and try a stern shot but he's zigging and my torps were zagging. The cutie goes after the gunboat and connects (unless he ran into a regular torp but that would have been 1:1000000 and luck isn't my strong suit this patrol :88) ) After an hour or two of cat and mouse he hasn't hit me nor I him when a torp connects and hits his props or stearage. He doesnt prosecute just tries to run so I put another torp in his aft (out of a 3 salvo) It doesn't do squat but convince him to cut his losses and try to head home. At about 1700 yds I launch a 4 shot spread of which two connect and he's just obliterated.:lost: After expending half of my torpedo rooms on 2900 very difficult tons I go up the road to fill up :()1: After leaving I notice my fuel's back down to 30-35 and I still have to complete my patrol. Can anyone tell if this is a "feature" a bug or a one time glitch? I do enough of watching the fuel guage in my car I dont want to do it in a game.

CapnBlood
09-02-08, 08:22 AM
It's not a glitch it's damage that can only be repaired at base. The game models you having a ruptered fuel tank that you can not repair while on patrol. Just forget your mission object and limp home would be my advice.

Seminole
09-02-08, 08:37 AM
You don't have to watch your gage so much.. the crew does it for you..hit Ctrl-G and then Shift G..you'll know exactly how far you need to go to reach a laid in destination and how far you can go steaming at current speed.

Turn off battery recharge and your range will vastly extend...

see you in port...

SteamWake
09-02-08, 09:48 AM
Some of the fuel tanks have big old holes in them. They wont hold fuel no matter how much you pour in there.

On the bright side you still have a rudder and prop shafts.... Lose those and it really is game over.

GunnersMate
09-02-08, 12:52 PM
I guess its too much to ask to have a plate welded over ? Or a couple friggin drums lashed to the deck? :roll:
I'll bet if the tender's crew got switched with the sub's they'll fix it real fast !! :hmm: ;)

SteamWake
09-02-08, 12:59 PM
I guess its too much to ask to have a plate welded over ? Or a couple friggin drums lashed to the deck? :roll:
I'll bet if the tender's crew got switched with the sub's they'll fix it real fast !! :hmm: ;)

Welding and fuel tanks... espically empty fuel tanks :hmm:

GunnersMate
09-02-08, 01:01 PM

Welding and fuel tanks... espically empty fuel tanks :hmm:

I'm assuming they ran out of bubblegum, spit and bailing wire on the last sub.:doh: :88)

jazman
09-02-08, 06:02 PM
I guess its too much to ask to have a plate welded over ? Or a couple friggin drums lashed to the deck?
Yes, it is too much.

Task Force
09-02-08, 06:12 PM
So wheres the tender and what is your base. Maby you could get back.;)

Atony94
09-02-08, 07:07 PM
you can get some sheets and underwear and make a sail :know:

Zero Niner
09-02-08, 10:37 PM
Where's MacGyver when you need him? :rotfl:

SteamWake
09-03-08, 10:20 AM
With 30 to 35 % fuel left you should be able to reach a base somewhere that will put you within range of your home port. You will have to putt putt along at 9 knots but...

Been there done this a couple of times.

My 'ballpark' bingo fuel from mainland Japan back to Midway is 33% and that is conservative.

GunnersMate
09-03-08, 02:39 PM
Well I was able to get back to Pearl since there was a tender in Tarawa.
My route - Celebes - Moresby - Solomons - Tarawa - Johnston - Pearl.
I was wondering if we could try the torpedo fuel in the engines or tying a rope to a couple torpedos and shooting them :lol:

SteamWake
09-03-08, 03:41 PM
Well I was able to get back to Pearl since there was a tender in Tarawa.
My route - Celebes - Moresby - Solomons - Tarawa - Johnston - Pearl.
I was wondering if we could try the torpedo fuel in the engines or tying a rope to a couple torpedos and shooting them :lol:

There is an actual report of one crew rigging some makeshift sails from various bits of laundry and broomsticks etc. so... keep the ideas comming :rock:

If anyone has linkage to that story Id love to read it again.