PDA

View Full Version : GOP VP pick's daughter pregnant at 17.

Enigma
09-01-08, 04:03 PM
ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) -- Bristol Palin, the 17-year-old daughter of Sarah Palin, is pregnant and will keep the baby and marry the baby's father, the Republican vice presidential candidate said Monday.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/01/palin.daughter/index.html

Personally, I don't give a hoot about such things, and I don't think it effects her ability to be Veep, etc, etc. But, you know what? Other people do....:shifty:

UnderseaLcpl
09-01-08, 04:07 PM
Yeah that was my bad, sorry. :rotfl:

Enigma
09-01-08, 04:08 PM
Oh, one thing I do want to say about this story....this idea that McCain knew before he picked her, etc etc, .....I don't buy it for a second. Not a frikkin second.

Linton
09-01-08, 04:13 PM
I was about to start a thread on unusual first names but this beat me to it.
Who calls their daughter Bristol and why?Has the mother ever been to the historic city?Perhaps she was enchanted with the west county accent and the cider,or was it the suspension bridge that she really liked?Perhaps the child was conceived there.
Will the baby be called Avonmouth or Portishead or Filton?I particularly like Lulsgate Bottom.
Bristol is sometimes used in the UK instead of the word breast,perhaps she should have called her daughter jugs or rack,that may have had a better ring to it if that was her intention!!
I believe that somebody in New Zealand wanted to call their twins Benson and Hedges(a tobacco company) but it was disallowed!

Platapus
09-01-08, 04:36 PM
I think her oldest is called Treat

Enigma
09-01-08, 04:48 PM
Anyone who names a kid Treat doesn't posess the desired judgment for the job of Vice President. :lol:

AVGWarhawk
09-01-08, 05:10 PM
Family matter. Leave it at that. Clintons said hands off on Chelsa. Bush said hands off on his two girls. Same applies here...unless you are running a campaign and it is far game:roll: . I would have to say Obama did take the high road and said leave it alone. Families need to be left along. I agree 100% with Obama. I give him credit here. You never know, one day he might be in the same boat.

Tchocky
09-01-08, 05:13 PM
Clintons said hands off on Chelsa.

John McCain didn't believe Chelsea was off-limits. :nope:

Platapus
09-01-08, 05:34 PM
I think that is a good rule.

As long as the family member is not actively campaigning, they should be "off limits"

Conversely, once they start campaigning, they loose this exemption.

AVGWarhawk
09-01-08, 06:31 PM

Perhaps they made it the John McCain rule from that. Can you cite were John McCain did something by using Chelsea? I was not aware John thought Chelsea was fair game.

AVGWarhawk
09-01-08, 06:32 PM

As long as the family member is not actively campaigning, they should be "off limits"

Good point but it goes hand in hand. If you put yourself in the spotlight, you also put yourself under the microscope.

Happy Times
09-01-08, 06:48 PM

Perhaps they made it the John McCain rule from that. Can you cite were John McCain did something by using Chelsea? I was not aware John thought Chelsea was fair game.

Back in the 90s..McCainns "famous" joke.

"Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly?
Because her father is Janet Reno."

Peto
09-01-08, 09:08 PM
I didn't see this one coming (only UnderseaLcpl did ;)). And I agree with Obama completely--this shouldn't matter and leave the kid alone. She certainly has enough to deal with. But...

This is gonna hurt Palin. Now she'll be viewed as the mom who put her political career ahead of her daughter and that's probably why her daughter "strayed in the 1st place." Whether or not it's true. I hear ultra-conservatives moaning all over America right now, even though she's keeping the baby.

None-the-less: I still want to hear what she has to say in the coming weeks. It'll be interesting. :hmm:

ESIT:
Oh, one thing I do want to say about this story....this idea that McCain knew before he picked her, etc etc, .....I don't buy it for a second. Not a frikkin second.

I agree. In fact, I wonder if Palin knew? It's not impossible to hide a pregancy at 5 months... Regardless--I wish the very best for the daughter. She's definitely got a rough road ahead...

Enigma
09-01-08, 09:22 PM
I agree. In fact, I wonder if Palin knew? It's not impossible to hide a pregancy at 5 months... Regardless--I wish the very best for the daughter. She's definitely got a rough road ahead...

I wonder too. Would you put your daughter in the spotlight if you knew what was coming to her? Gotta wonder. :hmm:

Enigma
09-01-08, 09:52 PM
Hows this for a quote?

"Before, they were excited about her, with the Down syndrome baby," conservative, anti-tax activist Grover Norquist said. "But now with this, they are over the moon. It reinforces the fact that this family lives its pro-life values."
Thrilled, they are. Down syndrome babies and pregnant high school teenagers. Makes these folks just as happy as pie. :damn:

You know, I just hadn't considered that the party to use this development politically would be the Repubs.

Stealth Hunter
09-01-08, 10:44 PM
I.R.O.N.Y.

She doesn't want sex education taught in school and is against abortion all the way around.:rotfl:

Maybe she'll become a bit more of a hypocrite now.:hmm:

bookworm_020
09-01-08, 10:53 PM

Agree with you on all points there Platapus!:yep:

Back to topic - I feel a little sorry for her (the Daughter) as she is now going to be in the spotlight. I do wish her the best of luck.....

baggygreen
09-01-08, 10:54 PM
Forgive me, but wheres the hypocrisy?

SHE has the pro-life, anti-sex-ed stance. Why should the thoughts of her daughter, who is old enough for independent thoughts and beliefs (and actions, too ay USLC;)) reflect in any way as hypocrisy on Palin??

We cant force our kids to think the same way we do, just as we cant force other adults to think or feel the same way we do.

Edit - as to her daughter being pregant, well if i was a few years younger and a bit (a lot) more single, i'd be a heartbroken kid!!

JetSnake
09-01-08, 11:58 PM
Well atleast Palin doesn't have personal relationships with guys like william ayers. Gawd-damn the USof KKKA.

Enigma
09-02-08, 05:03 AM
Well atleast Palin doesn't have personal relationships with guys like william ayers. Gawd-damn the USof KKKA.

The Department of irrelevant, confusing and "I know you are but what am I" comments just called. They'd like a word with you.

Skybird
09-02-08, 05:18 AM
With that kind of audience Palin's call to duty was meant to please, her internal family affairs will bite back at McCain, no doubt. If you ride on the high horse of superior morals and then the moral zealots must see that moral failure - or what they see as that - pops up in close vicinity to you, both self-opinionated indignation and muddy dirt will start flying around.

To what degree it effects McCain'S chances remains to be seen. I am sure he did not know in advance, and Palin herself probably also did not know. I would pay a hundred dollars for a private photo of their first facial expressions after they learned the news. :lol:

Jimbuna
09-02-08, 05:27 AM
I can't see this having any detrimental effect on their chances, thousands of American moms have had to face the same challenges and besides, they have the perfect counterbalance.....she has a son about to be posted to Iraq.

Skybird
09-02-08, 05:46 AM
I can't see this having any detrimental effect on their chances, thousands of American moms have had to face the same challenges and besides, they have the perfect counterbalance.....she has a son about to be posted to Iraq.
Technically - yes. But we talk about morals here. And little things in life can bring the morally upright and self-righteous so easily up to arms, like having sex before being married, while being younger than 18 anyway - and then even become pregnant.

The indignation is irrational, you are right with that implication, but moral zealots are somewhat irrational indeed.

the best thing she can do now is taking the initiative if possible and dealing offensively with it. I just hope that the girl and her boy are truly in love with each other, else they will possibly pay a heavy price for the ambitions of her mother, McCain, and the party. the pressure to comply that is being put on them must be enormous. And Palin would not be the first career animal sacrificing the wellbeing and interests of her offsprings on the altar of their own personal ambitions.

If there is a conflict and Palin steps back, putting family wellbeing over career, even when it damages the party or McCain, she would have my respect.

AVGWarhawk
09-02-08, 06:06 AM

Back in the 90s..McCainns "famous" joke.

"Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly?
Because her father is Janet Reno."

That looks to me like a tasteless joke. We are dealing with something entirely different that could have reprecussions on the outcome. A joke is one thing but not practicing what Palin is preaching is something all together different. Do as I say not as I do really does not fly for most. Although Obama said leave it alone, most of his attack dog campaign managers will not even though Obama said they will be fired. It is very easy to let things out like the Dems have on this campaign and then just apologize. It has gotten too easy. But what does it matter, the damage is done.

JetSnake
09-02-08, 08:42 AM

The Department of irrelevant, confusing and "I know you are but what am I" comments just called. They'd like a word with you.

Not irrelevant to swing voters and undecideds. Of course it is irrelevant to supporters of the train wreck chicago politician. Have a nice day.

Thomen
09-02-08, 08:58 AM
I wonder too. Would you put your daughter in the spotlight if you knew what was coming to her? Gotta wonder. :hmm:

They did not had much of a chance of keeping her out. Apparently some leftist started a smear campaign against Palin, her daughter and her husband.
Among other things it was implied that: He raped the daughter, and the kid with down syndrome is actually the daughters child and they covered it up by declaring the kid is Palins.

Talk about being desperate:
Now, the internet propaganda machine is aiming at her husband apparently he had a DUI 20 years ago.

Didn't Obama admitted to smoking controlled supstances when he was younger?

The politicians say the family is off limits, unfortunately the media and the private individuals see it quite different.

Jimbuna
09-02-08, 04:04 PM
The wonderful squeaky clean world of politics :nope:

Stealth Hunter
09-02-08, 05:04 PM
Forgive me, but wheres the hypocrisy?

SHE has the pro-life, anti-sex-ed stance. Why should the thoughts of her daughter, who is old enough for independent thoughts and beliefs (and actions, too ay USLC;)) reflect in any way as hypocrisy on Palin??

We cant force our kids to think the same way we do, just as we cant force other adults to think or feel the same way we do.

Edit - as to her daughter being pregant, well if i was a few years younger and a bit (a lot) more single, i'd be a heartbroken kid!!

These things always take time. Give it a month or two. My guess is she'll be a little more leinient on the sex-ed restrictions.:up:

And although that may be true, Palin seems to have trouble keeping family issues separate from her politics (and her political influence). I recall her attempting to have the ex-husband of her sister fired from the police corps just because the two were going through a divorce. The police chief admitted that he was pressured to do so, too.

You can get them to think like you, though. Kids are like blank computer disks: they have to have information given to them before they can function. My nephew is one of the few Democratic kids at his high school. He says there are still some kids who go there that believe Bush is a good president, yet they can't justify why. The reason: their parents have told them Bush is a good president, so they believe it to be true, and they don't bother to question or investigate more to draw their own conclusion.;)

Digital_Trucker
09-02-08, 05:41 PM
And although that may be true, Palin seems to have trouble keeping family issues separate from her politics (and her political influence). I recall her attempting to have the ex-husband of her sister fired from the police corps just because the two were going through a divorce. The police chief admitted that he was pressured to do so, too.

Not saying the fact that they were getting a divorce wasn't a factor, but a couple of the charges brought up against the trooper (which he was found guilty of and "disciplined" for) are pretty troubling. I believe there's a little more to this than just the fact that they were getting divorced.

Here's an article from the Anchorage Daily News describing the information released regarding the investigation of the trooper. This isn't the only information available, but it's fairly informative.

http://www.adn.com/politics/story/476430.html

Enigma
09-02-08, 09:58 PM
And the fun continues.....:nope:
(http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/02/palin_slashed_funding_to_help.html)

ST. PAUL -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican
vice-presidential nominee who revealed Monday that her 17-year-old
daughter is pregnant, earlier this year used her line-item veto to
slash funding for a state program benefiting teen mothers in need of a
place to live. After the legislature passed a spending bill in April, Palin went through the measure reducing and eliminating funds for programs she opposed. Inking her initials on the legislation -- "SP" -- Palin reduced funding for Covenant House Alaska by more than 20 percent, cutting funds from $5 million to $3.9 million. Covenant House is a mix of programs and shelters for troubled youths, including Passage House, (http://covenanthouseak.org/passagehouse.htm) which is a transitional home for teenage mothers.

joegrundman
09-02-08, 10:14 PM
i hear something about her supporting the alaska independence party too, or is this just rumours?

Stealth Hunter
09-02-08, 11:45 PM

Not saying the fact that they were getting a divorce wasn't a factor, but a couple of the charges brought up against the trooper (which he was found guilty of and "disciplined" for) are pretty troubling. I believe there's a little more to this than just the fact that they were getting divorced.

Here's an article from the Anchorage Daily News describing the information released regarding the investigation of the trooper. This isn't the only information available, but it's fairly informative.

Some of the charges might be true, but after hearing about the stepson affair and the taser, I think they just threw it in there to defend her position for firing him. It didn't kill the kid, didn't hurt him. He liked it and admitted to liking it. As for the moose, I could believe he did it illegally.

Drinking beer on patrol, yep, I could believe he is guilty of that. And the threat, I could also believe it's true. With that said, though, unless he actually did something to carry out the threat, then it's really not that big of a deal. We've all said things like "If you broke that vase, I'll kill you".

How he managed to avoid getting into serious trouble... well... I'm guessing everything was just peachy between Palin and Wooten, and she kept him safe and sound, away from punishment.:hmm:

Digital_Trucker
09-03-08, 08:22 AM
Throw out the moose thing:D He got lucky tasering the underage, unable to make rational decisions kid. Really, is this the kind of logic we want police officers to have? "He wanted me to do it, it didn't kill him, he enjoyed it, so it's OK"? What if the kid had asked him to shoot him? Because he's lucky doesn't make him the kind of person I want toting a badge and a gun. Neither does drinking in his patrol car or threatening murder. Would you want this guy protecting you and your family? "Staying out of trouble" could indicate one of two things. Either he's mended his ways or he's avoided trouble by not getting caught or threatening anyone who might complain about him. Seeing as how he's been married and divorced again (a reoccurring theme, indicating that he hasn't changed much), I really doubt if he's mended his ways.

09-03-08, 10:34 AM

Some of the charges might be true, but after hearing about the stepson affair and the taser, I think they just threw it in there to defend her position for firing him. It didn't kill the kid, didn't hurt him. He liked it and admitted to liking it. As for the moose, I could believe he did it illegally.

Drinking beer on patrol, yep, I could believe he is guilty of that. And the threat, I could also believe it's true. With that said, though, unless he actually did something to carry out the threat, then it's really not that big of a deal. We've all said things like "If you broke that vase, I'll kill you".

How he managed to avoid getting into serious trouble... well... I'm guessing everything was just peachy between Palin and Wooten, and she kept him safe and sound, away from punishment.:hmm:

A. Wooten was never fired. He was disciplined. The original suspension was halved after being appealed.

B. Tasers do hurt, trust me on that. I've seen the biggest and baddest scream for their mommies after 2 seconds in a cycle. You want to give an 11 year old a demonstration: a dry, carpeted room, wool socks and a door knob will suffice.

C. Palin was never the governer when this happened.

D. The head of the AST was a woman at the time who metted out punishment. Never stated once that anyone ever pressured her to do so.