PDA

View Full Version : Chess again, anyone?

Skybird
08-31-08, 05:50 PM
"As you see I pick your idea, J., and set it up!" :know:

-----

The old hands around do remember, the newcomers have not been here long enough to know:

Early 2006, we had a series of chess matches that had been held in public on this board, in correspondence chess fashion. Use the search-button and enter "chessmatch", which will give you the threads.

I of course especially remember my two matches with Scandium, who meanwhile went missing, because the matches were complex and challenging, and characterized by plenty of funny trash-talking.

I wonder if there is any interest to revive the idea and launch another couple of duels? I again would volunteer to provide position diagrams, if players do not have according software themselves. that way it is easier for the audience to follow.

rules would be like back then: books and theory help is allowed, but by code of honour (we cannot control it) computer assistance for calculating moves is banned (different to correspondence chess where it is not regulated, but what is the use in letting our chess programs play against each as long as it is not a dedicated thread for public discussion?). Software to log moves and create position diagrams is allowed. for those not having seen the first matches, check the old threads via search-button, they are still there. Match and Rematch is enocuraged, we also could play all matches simultaneously, as is common standard in correspondence chess, if people agree . I recommend to use a standard as orientation to have at least 40 moves in 30 days, which, as far as I remember, also is the norm in corresp. chess (or was it 30 in 30?) . Full notation and repeating the last move of the opponent before answering with one'S own is encouraged, to prevent mistakes. Comments of the audience are okay as long as they do not actoveoly support any of the player with move suggestions. Analysis of past situations during the match is okay if not affecting current and future chances of players. we want communication and humour, and no silent, bitterly serious club.

Well...?

Skybird
08-31-08, 06:27 PM
And while we are at it: attention Mephisto lovers,

as insiders may know, Ed Schroeder, programmer of the famous Rebel-programs and provider of several Mephisto-chess programs, has retreated from the scene longer time ago. However, you can download - legally! - from his very own website the original code for the very popular Mephisto M-IV and Mephisto M-V programs. they will run from within the MESS1.0 emulator, that comes with the dopwnload. the installation is uncomplicated, and the interface is nothing special, it only emulates a four digit LED-display, and copies the keyboard of the module (but you need to use the pc keyboard). You have all functions of the Mephisto-module keyboard on the F-keys. you type in your move, and you get Mephisto'S move. the emulated LED shows the same kind of information, like the original Mephisto do.

This is a great thing if you want to play against a software from the golden age of chess computers for whatever a reason, may it be sentimental feelings, or that modern PC software is too overkill for you. you can also let software run in different speed modes: the original 5 MHz of the Mephisto processors, or severl hu7ndred percent faster, or unlimited at the speed your PC is capablpe of.that way you can check what the code really could have done back then - if running on ultracool hardware (turbokits we called them back then, right?).

I have a small collection of chescomputers, some of which are really rare, and amongst themk of course is also a Mephisto Exclusive board with the M-IV module and the HG440 opening module. for some reason this machine I love more than any of the others, even the more precious ones. It is a shame that I have not the room to store them on display in my flat, and need to keep them hidden in my cellar.

http://www.top-5000.nl/index.htm

After launching the emulator, you have a list of plenty of prgrams, however, only the Mephisto M-IV and V (5.1) are included. IV works flawlessly, 5.1 gives you an error messge about missing files, and then fires up as well. I did not play a full match, only with IV i played two. I can confrim that IV works perfect. To adress the original module keys, go to menu->options.

Classic! Those were the days, I tell you...

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/7452/image1oc3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Platapus
08-31-08, 08:02 PM
Anyone remember the Boris chess computer?

http://www.decodesystems.com/boris.html

clive bradbury
09-01-08, 02:46 AM
Count me in for a tournament, Skybird.

Skybird
09-01-08, 03:50 AM
Anyone remember the Boris chess computer?

http://www.decodesystems.com/boris.html

Yeayh, groovy baby...!

Count me in for a tournament, Skybird.
Okay, we'll see if some more players show up or not. In the meantime there is no reason why we should not get things started.

Would you like to play both matches simultaneously in two separate threads, or one by one? Both would be two separate threads with independent "timing".

clive bradbury
09-01-08, 04:04 AM
simultaneously would be fine by me.

Skybird
09-01-08, 04:33 AM
simultaneously would be fine by me.
Okay, I have just started two new threads named CHESS 2008.

I would suggest that any additonal players finding themselves to participate also use that title and than the duelist's names, that way it should be easier to find the matches in the topic list.

Come on guys, don't tell me that in the age of video games just two persons are left playing chess!

UnderseaLcpl
09-01-08, 04:45 AM
Ok, I'm going to jump in.

My forces could use a good ignominious rout.:D

Skybird
09-01-08, 05:20 AM
For everybody not having a chess interface, this one is free, you can use it to keep track of your matches and moves, or to play against the computer. there are many free engines around. some of them are very strong, others play more "humane".

http://www.playwitharena.com/

Skybird
09-01-08, 07:59 AM
Guys, this friendly marine is looking for an opponent, so if you please... at least one of you...

Letum
09-01-08, 10:21 AM
I'm up for some games.

clive bradbury
09-01-08, 10:34 AM
How about a league, all play all?

fatty
09-01-08, 10:48 AM
It's been a while and I was never very good, but I will play too

Skybird
09-01-08, 10:53 AM
Letum and Fatty enter the pit where UnderseaLcpl already is camping.

However you get your matches started, will you please consider that UnderseaLcpl has waited the longest time. get him started!

Skybird
09-01-08, 03:15 PM
This proud Canadian fella is left and nobody wants to play him...? :stare: shame on you guys - subsimmers you want to be, but leave a lonely soul behind and don't care?

Fatty, it's 22:22 over here, but if tomorrow by noon time nobody has shown up to play you, I would be honoured if you accept me as your opponent. ;)

P.S.,
Letum, Lance, Fatty, why don'T you three play simultaneously against each other if no sixth man shows up, that makes two matches for each of you, and then a 2nd round later with changed colours?

Platapus
09-01-08, 03:50 PM
Is there a reason why the individual chess games are not handled via PM?

Skybird
09-01-08, 03:57 PM
Is there a reason why the individual chess games are not handled via PM?
Yes. It's the same reason why all communication here on the board does take place in public, and not in private emails. ;)

And some people like to kibitz running matches. Interested people consider it to be fun.

UnderseaLcpl
09-01-08, 06:11 PM
Letum, Lance, Fatty, why don'T you three play simultaneously against each other if no sixth man shows up, that makes two matches for each of you, and then a 2nd round later with changed colours?

Yeah I was thinking something along those lines, as long as my head doesn't explode from playing more than one match at a time.

edit- I'll give until after work tommorrow and if no one shows up I'll challenge Fatty

Letum
09-01-08, 06:44 PM
I can't play more than one game at any one time, sorry.

fatty
09-02-08, 08:31 AM
Same Letum. Classes start soon and it wouldn't be fair to expect more than one person to wait around all day for me to make a move :D

Skybird
09-02-08, 11:23 AM
It's your choice then, Fatty. Lance, or me.