PDA

View Full Version : More glitches...

monkeymagoo
08-28-08, 04:25 PM
Hi

Are there any obvious known graphics glitches with TMO? I just got all my torps on target, waiting for the hit, and instead of a nice BOOM! all I got was my graphics card (an reasonable 8800GTS) coughing and spluttering all over the place. It was like watching a veeeerrrrrryy slow slideshow on a 286 with the power cable unplugged.

Going to start experimenting with the settings (I have Uboats enabled too). I've given SH4 control over the graphics card (except for AA which I set at 2x) btw.

Sooooooo disappointed - when I last played months ago it was smooooooth so it must surely be Uboats or TMO.

Any advice while I'm tinkering much appreciated - thanks!

Webster
08-28-08, 04:39 PM
well this game can and does get full use out of your cpu and video cards lol. :yep:

it could likely be a cooling issue, open your side panel and check the fans are all clean and pushing good airflow, clean out any dust in the system and look way way inside the video card cooler. they can get blocked up inside where its not easy to see it.

tell us what your specs are and we can judge if your system should be having any trouble.

monkeymagoo
08-28-08, 04:50 PM
Cheers for the quick reply Webster

It's definately TMO. SH4+Uboats works fine, I've just removed TMO and sunk the warship on the training mission, and it was great - nice and smooth.

I wonder what it could be in TMO - something there doesn't like my setup. I noticed in Crysis the ice textures REALLY slowed the game down, so I'll play around with the particles/ship damage etc settings - I bet its something like that.

Thanks

banjo
08-29-08, 10:05 AM
Just for your FYI--I have much less rig than you (P4 2.8, 2 gig ram, 7600GS/500mb) and I play SH4 and Crysis smoothly. In SH4 I have all the left column options de-selected and all the right column selected except vert sync. I also use AlacrityPc to shut down un-needed background programs. That makes a BIG difference. And I play TMO and RSRD.

monkeymagoo
08-30-08, 02:15 PM
Thanks Banjo

It's all working again. I didn't do anything obvious, although I did reinstall TMO, and then downloaded Alacrity (thanks for the tip) out of interest (it frees up a surprising amount of memory!).

However, I wasn't running Alacrity this time, but it still runs nice and smooth again (maybe Alacrity give Vista a kick up the backside when I ran it though). I'm also running it on the highest settings in the graphics config too, which is nice!

I'm putting it down to Vista being naff :-)

Cheers

banjo
08-30-08, 09:27 PM
Glad to hear it.