PDA

View Full Version : Rodney must go down!!! Any advice how?

Vergif
08-28-08, 03:19 AM
Hi fellow seapredators,

I'm on my 3th patrol out of Wilhelmshaven
After a good patrol south of Ireland (46.000 tons fed to the fishes) I decided to return to base with 3 eels left, 2 in the bow 1 in stern, in case anything juicy came along. I took St Geoges canal but only to run into trawlers and schooners.The gun crew had their practice and made short work of them. Then when I just passed Loch Ewe the radioman disturbed my beauty sleep to give me a message about some taskforce spotted at 25 kts 2 grids away and running straight for me. Guess they had to be home for tea time ;) I made a quick guestemation of where I should be to intercept them. I speed over there and submerge, let 3 hours pass and the sonar man comes to life. Multiple contacts closing fast. I plot their paths and position the boat. Lucky for me I was 1200 meters from the center of the taskforce at a textbook 90° angle :cool:. I let the first screen pass which was to busy steaming home to notice me, pop up the scope tot see the HSM Rodney comming my way with 2 southhampton cruisers beside her all running deep and heavy in a rough sea, It's difficult to get a good fix on her because of the huge waves and heavy rain. Now I want her to go down any advice on where to hit her? Since I only got 2 torps left in the bow these'll have to do till I get my VIIB's fanny turned on her for a stern shot.

I am running SHIII 1.4 with GWX 2.1 and SH3 Commander running at 67% realism (still getting into the manual targeting thing)

Thanks in advance,
Oberleutnant z. s.
Michael Pfister

moosey
08-28-08, 07:26 AM
If you know where the ammo bunkers are then you could try aiming for there but what i would do with 2 torps and a spare would be to try to send one bellow the screws to explode magnetically to leave it dead in the water and send the other one once again below but amidship below the funnel.

THis should get some flooding going and make it unable to run away at 30 knots. for the third torpedo once youve turned try to aim for the ammo bunkers, but you never know, 3 good hits could sink it without the ammo bunker fireworks.

Also, im playing GWX 2.1 and it seems i cannot find any enemy task forces, they all seem to dissapear once i get near, how many times have i been told of one going north between scotland and outer hebrides or down the east coast with me sitting straight in the way only to make no surface or sound contacts... AAAARGH!!!!!

Ive managed a few though they were the scripted ones for the norwegian campaign, camped outside the fjord leading to Narvik and bagged myself a battleship and a few destroyers.

Vergif
08-28-08, 07:41 AM
Hehe, if I only knew where the ammo was kept. In stock SHIII you had the different parts of the ship identified in your recognition manual, which was easy to aim and set yout depth on. But since GWX they are gone. I should've taken the time to study them ;)

JuanCudz
08-28-08, 08:21 AM
I think you will find the ships magazines to be directly below the turrets, fore and aft.

There is a pdf with the vullnerable areas of stock vanilla ships in SH3
http://files.filefront.com/shipchartpdf/;6611422;/fileinfo.html

No Rodney I'm afraid, but it might give you an idea

STEED
08-28-08, 08:25 AM
Vergif, what year are you in?

I sunk the Rodney so many times its become a running joke. :lol:

Vergif
08-28-08, 08:54 AM
It's 25 september 1939. And JuanCudz thanks for the chart this is what i was looking for, Rodney = Nelson class ship. Does anyone know if GWX 2.1 alters these spots? And whats the best way to sink them STEED, since you're an expert ;)? The thing why I don't want to botch this is because it is the first BB i've ever seen in a career, just my luck it's at the end of my patrol with only 3 torps left :damn: .

superfecta
08-28-08, 09:00 AM
First get within 1000m or less then make sure you are as close to 90 deg (abeam) as possible (I've never been more than 3 deg off, so I don't know how much leeway there may be) "lock" on your target, click on "ship" on the note pad (periscope view) this will bring up the recognition manual to page of the ship you are looking at. If you are within range and near perpendicular, small "boxes" will appear on the manual page click on one of these and your torp will go to this spot ( be it fuel bunker, engine room, ammo, etc.) Ammo bunkers should sink a ship in one shot. (and produce the most spectacular explosion).

STEED
08-28-08, 09:03 AM
Damn three eels left. :huh: :damn:

Get in close and hit her in the backside or if shes is fast moving fast hit her bow. In both case cases keep the spread tight but I'm not sure if you will succeed with just three eels.

I have heard if you knock her engines out the other ships will make a run for it and the destroyers will only stick around for a while, hide under the beast. When the coast is clear come up along side and use that deck gun. I have not tried this method so I don't know the results.

JuanCudz
08-28-08, 09:43 AM
You might want to try this. For the first attack set the eel depth to 1m, max speed, below the keel. Get as near to 1000 m and bow angle 90 as you can, lock on the Rodney with the 'scope, and open the torpedo doors(Q). Then unlock the scope and shift the 'scope so the crosshairs are resting on the middle of the front three turrets, then send an eel on the way.
I'm not sure that targeting by clicking on the boxes in recognition manual is enabled in GWX for non-vanilla ships (RTFM i suppose:hmm: ).
I'd advise this as
a) the stern rises substantially making a magnetic setting more like guesswork for the disabling shot advocated by some, and the sea is very stormy you say?
b) Stormy sea may cause a premature, while this method means you still have another chance with the second bow tube.
b) the magazines supplying three turrets must have been huge! Put all the belt armour you want on it First Sea Lord, 'cause we found one of your magnetic mines in the last war!:lol:
d) You still have a stern tube to sink The Hood on the way home!:arrgh!:

On second thoughts, send both eels in a spread, spread angle 1 degree, target as previous. Two torps under the magazines should be a mortal blow

conus00
08-28-08, 09:56 AM
I think you will find the ships magazines to be directly below the turrets, fore and aft.

There is a pdf with the vullnerable areas of stock vanilla ships in SH3
http://files.filefront.com/shipchartpdf/;6611422;/fileinfo.html

No Rodney I'm afraid, but it might give you an idea

Great file JuanCudz. Can you tell me what do the orange and blue areas indicate?
yellow=engine room
green=propellers
violet=ammo magazines
blue=?
orange=?

Thanks.

Mush Martin
08-28-08, 10:01 AM
Be more agressive

Ok I found the foreward magazine now what?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/MartinPicfix/SH3Img4-4-2007_11-3.jpg

JuanCudz
08-28-08, 10:08 AM
[quote=JuanCudz]
blue=?
orange=?

Thanks.

Blue is the keel, where you might break the back of the boat (unlikely)
Orange is the fuel bunker, another choice target.

KeptinCranky
08-28-08, 10:26 AM
I've sunk a Nelson BB with one eel, magnetic trigger just underneath the smokestack... made her slow down, stop, and sink by the stern in about 30 minutes after impact....

Always try to hit those aft of the bridge and magnetic for best results, Impact eels won't do you much good because of armor and anti-torpedo bulges and stuff :up:

Bronzewing
08-28-08, 01:27 PM
Definitely aim low for any battle ship, I've sunk Nelson with two eels one under B turret magazine, one under engine room. (3rd eel was redundant as it was already tearing it's self apart with internal explosions when it hit.)
That said I'll usually fire a full spread in case of duds.

Red Heat
08-28-08, 04:18 PM
Be more agressive

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

STEED
08-28-08, 04:33 PM
Be more agressive

Now thats just plain showing off there Mush. :huh: :D :lol: :rotfl:

nikbear
08-28-08, 05:01 PM
Mind you,rough weather usually precludes using magnetic triggers,you don't want to send your last presents to the royal navy's finest only for them to spoil the suprise before they arrive:hmm:

bookworm_020
08-28-08, 08:55 PM
One under the centre turret, one just forward of the bridge and one under the stack. I believe that will give her a hearty send off!:D

Vergif
08-29-08, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the great advice,

Yes it is rough sea with high waves a bit of rain and 15mph winds. I am under 1000m from the Rodney and closing. I'm gonna try a magnetic shot from a distance of 500 meters which I should be able to make. But what is the best setting for magnetic fast,medium or slow and how deep? Because i'm not used to shoot under the keel. I always just punch through the side's of merchants and watch them sink. But i don't think this one is gonna go down easely. Tonight she will hopefully go down.

Jimbuna
08-29-08, 06:47 AM
One under the centre turret, one just forward of the bridge and one under the stack. I believe that will give her a hearty send off!:D

Almost every time http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

predavolk
08-29-08, 11:40 AM
Medium speed for a magnetic, fast has too many premature detonations. Contrary to others here, I think three impacts would be enough. That would also remove the possibility of a dreaded torpedo failure. Personally, I'd shoot two torpedoes slightly apart from each other at either the bow (hoping to drive it under) or the stern (hoping to damage the engines). Either method should slow it. Then add a third torp, same side, a little more to the center, and that should sink her.

Then again, I've never sank a battleship before, so take this for what it's worth.

mengle
08-29-08, 01:25 PM
Is the Rodney down yet or is he still above the sea :lol: don't forget to take screenshot (leuk om nog eens een belg tegen te komen):rock:

Jimbuna
08-29-08, 01:50 PM
Here's what happened to her the last time she darkened my periscope lens http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/5530/sh32008060215134465mw0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Vergif
08-30-08, 02:30 AM
To bad for me it was her lucky day, I was at a perfect 90° angle at 600 meters. Waves were 3-4 meters high which made it hard to keep her in my periscope. I launched my forward two eels with 1 going for the center turret setting medium speed at 10 meters depth and i put the second between the bridge and the smoke stack. with the eels gone I made a hard starboard turn at flank speed. The two eels hit home but the Rodney didn't seem to be botherd with it, there were no secondairy explosions but i think she was crippled because the smoke from the smoke plume from stack was gone and the cruisers were starting to make circles with more lights than a christmas tree so were 2 VW destroyers which kinda made me want to rush things as I could hear a faint ASDIC comming my way. When I finally turned round I popped the scope back up, I did a 360° quick assesment of the situation, A VW comming staight for me, I could've better put a "here I am" sign up running at flank :damn: .I saw the Rodney plodded off at slow speed with no listing I quickly set up for the stern shot. Due the fact that i could just see her stern had no idea what distance nor the speed And I didn't have the luxury of time, an asdic getting louder in your ear certanly makes me want to rush things. I took a guess shot and orderd a hard right dive to 50 meters. Went deep till at 30 meters I got the doomsday message "steur lauft an" and the following "wasserbomben". Here we go, they went off pretty close shaking us like a wodka martini. I could hear the leaks the muffeld swears especially from the bow torpedo room and I'm pretty sure my Chief engineer left a package in his trousers by the cramped way he was standing and the weird way he was looking at me. Went to the bow to check the damage and it wasn't pretty, my ankles in the water due to a nasty leak, tube 1 and 3 destroyed and a bunch of wet sailors who would like a not so friendly word with their idiot of an Oberleutnant z. S.. And all for nothing as I looked at my stop watch noticing the neelde was allready well beyond the estimated impact time. A huge barage of swears went up the could be heard not only inside the boat but also throughout my house. As my chief called out 60 meters I thought he was starting to crack under pressure because I only orderd a 50 meter dive. As I reminded him of his duty's he reminded me that the extra ballast in the bow was making it difficult to keep the boat level even on flank speed. The navigator also stepped in to reminded me of the echo lot reading, 70 meters, I orderd before we made the attack. As I processed the data provided by my 2 crewmen. I could only mutter all stop acompanied by a br..... Next thing I rememberd was lying upside down in the radio room with my chief telling me we are at 50% battery power because of the damage done to the forward batteries. As I thought could this get any worse it did as the destroyer turned round and I could hear the faint ASDIC's message of impending doom. Lucky for me the English were to busy playing with their searchlights upstairs that they missed me completly my boat didn't even wiggle when the charges went off, but that could've been credited to my bow which was stuck nose deep in the sand. As my boat settled nicely on the bottom the leaks were fixed and repairs were made the crew relaxed a bit with the comfort knowing the depth charges were getting dropped farther and farther away. After a few hours there were no more sound contacts so I orderd the boat to periscope depth. Surfaced after a quick 360° sweep and plotted the cruise home. I docked with my bruced ego, although 40K's of shipping was sunk on my watch, I could only hope to meet the Rodney again when I have a full complement of loaded bow tubes. And reminded myself that my quest for glory nearly meant my untimely demise and I was lucky it still was '39.

(En het is inderdaad plezant om een Belg te zien)

Jimbuna
08-30-08, 04:00 AM
Never mind, there'll be other opportunities I'm sure http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif