PDA

View Full Version : To my boss

SUBMAN1
08-27-08, 12:03 PM
Dear Boss,

I have enjoyed working here these past several years. You have paid me very well, given me benefits beyond belief. I have 3-4 months off per year and a pension plan that will pay my salary till the day I die and a health plan that most people can only dream about.

Despite this I plan to take the next 12-18 months to find a new position.

During this time I will show up for work when it is convenient. In addition I fully expect to draw my full salary and all the other perks associated with my current job.

Oh yeah, if my search for this new job proves fruitless, I will be back with no loss in pay or status. Before you say anything, remember that you have no choice in the matter. I can and will do this.

Sincerely,

Every Senator or Congressman running for President.

STEED
08-27-08, 12:06 PM
PS: I had your wife on a few occasions as well. :roll:

Digital_Trucker
08-27-08, 12:07 PM
If it wasn't so true, I'd :rotfl:

August
08-27-08, 01:58 PM
Every Senator or Congressman running for President.

Dig it. A pol ought to be forced to resign his seat before he's allowed to run for another office.

Sailor Steve
08-27-08, 02:47 PM
And congress shouldn't be allowed to vote themselves pay raises at all. That should have to be sold to the public.

But neither of those is ever going to happen.

Platapus
08-27-08, 03:18 PM
And congress shouldn't be allowed to vote themselves pay raises at all. That should have to be sold to the public.

But neither of those is ever going to happen.

Well technically Congress can't vote themselves a pay raise.

27th Amendment of the Constitution (1992)

No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.

So legally congress is voting the next congress a pay raise.

The kicker is that the citizens reelect congress members at a rate of >90%

As so many issues, the problem is not with Congress but with the voters.

Don't want congress to vote themselves a pay raise, don't reelect them.

The system gives a lot of power to the citizens....if only the citizens would use it...and use it wisely.

But as you say, "But neither of those is ever going to happen."

One solution that appeals to me is to make all Congress members state employees. Since they are representatives of the state, let the individual state pay their salary.

The Senator from Ohio wants a pay raise, then the Senator from Ohio needs to go back to the Ohio state legislation and ask for a pay raise. This would give the states more power over their congressional representative (money talks BS walks)

Sailor Steve
08-27-08, 03:22 PM
No, I like my plan. Congressional pay raises should be voted by the people. Let them convince us they need it.

conus00
08-27-08, 06:27 PM
Also there should be NO immunity for Congresmen. Aren't those people supposed to 'lead by example'? It's all rotten. ROTTEN!

Platapus
08-27-08, 06:38 PM
Also there should be NO immunity for Congresmen. Aren't those people supposed to 'lead by example'? It's all rotten. ROTTEN!

While I agree completely with the point you are making, please consider this.

An important issue is coming up for vote. I know the vote will be close.

I get 10 of my friends to swear out separate complaints against 10 of my opponent's party. I time the complaints so that these 10 miss the vote.... my side wins

It is a shame we have so many scumbags in Congress but the immunity while in session is a good idea. And remember the immunity is only during session.

SUBMAN1
08-27-08, 09:34 PM
This thread stings of:

When the Nazis came for the communists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist),
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_democrat),
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_union),
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews),
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out
Maybe it is time we spoke out!

-S