PDA

View Full Version : So, is there a "random" element to torp damage?

Erich dem Roten
08-27-08, 12:02 AM
Or is it really all in where you hit the target? I've been goofing around with HMS Hood (which I finally found after sneaking into Scapa :rock:) and been using different salvos to see the results (electric, steam, depth changes, stuff like that). So far the minimum I've been able to sink her with is 3 torps. However, when I fired the same three torps individually, she did not sink. Which begs the question, is there a bit of random luck involved in how much damage your torps will do?

superfecta
08-27-08, 03:04 AM
Hit 'er in an ammo bunker and I bet she'll go down in 1 shot every time.

nirwana
08-27-08, 03:35 AM
With a dynamic game engine its almost impossible to replicate a result. In ure case of a floating ship in a harbor the slight up and down of it and the influence on ure boat and the fired eals by the waves will cause a hit at different spots everytime with variable destruction force. For large warships i usually use T1s setting to impact centered at 4m depth slow speed. If it hits as i calculated the target will blow up in a cascade of secondairy explosions. In this case 1 eal does the job. I can be wrong but electrics seem to do less damage with settings like that.

predavolk
08-27-08, 02:11 PM
I don't know if there is randomness in the damage model per se, but I do know that it's very hard to replicate a single shot. So I'd say that if there isn't randomness programmed directly, the simulation itself does a good job of simulating randomness in terms of damage. For example, sometimes a single hit will blow up a big ship (cargo?), sometimes it takes three hits. I like that variability.

Pablo
08-27-08, 05:10 PM
Or is it really all in where you hit the target? I've been goofing around with HMS Hood (which I finally found after sneaking into Scapa :rock:) and been using different salvos to see the results (electric, steam, depth changes, stuff like that). So far the minimum I've been able to sink her with is 3 torps. However, when I fired the same three torps individually, she did not sink. Which begs the question, is there a bit of random luck involved in how much damage your torps will do?
Hi!

There is a random element in the amount of damage the torpedo does to its target.

Pablo

Redwine
08-27-08, 05:14 PM
Yes there are random values...

Max effort, Min effort... randomize the value of hitpoints

Max Radius and Min radius, randomize the radius of the damage where the hitpointa are applyied.

:up:

Erich dem Roten
08-27-08, 08:04 PM
Cool, thanks for the replies. For the record I was only able to bring her down with three torps twice. Once I think I got the aft magazine as there were lots of secondaries, and the second time I set my torps to run under the ship at about 12m with mag pistols.

I tried a couple times to hit the magazines with one torp at a time, just to see damage results, I never saw secondaries outside that one time. I wonder if the GWX team gave her a bunch of armor around them :hmm: (well, we know the story, but more armor than an average destroyer for example).