PDA

View Full Version : Selecting torpedo speeds

Reece
08-25-08, 10:32 AM
Hi, for some reason I can't (manual TDC) change the torpedo speed setting, sometimes it works but 90% not!:doh: I have IXC with electric torpedos installed, date mid 1943. In the past I just never bothered but sure would be good with fast moving dd's to be able to change the speed, does anyone know what gives!:-?

GoldenRivet
08-25-08, 10:47 AM
electric torpedoes come in one variety.

slow.

to select a faster speed you must be using one of the old air/steam torpedoes

Reece
08-25-08, 08:33 PM
Well I'll be darned, didn't even know that!:88) So I can have fast torpedoes with bubbles or slow stealth ones!!:roll:
Thanks.

GoldenRivet
08-25-08, 09:09 PM
yes the power source was different for the two... the battery powered torpedoes were just slower by the nature of the design.

bookworm_020
08-25-08, 09:58 PM
I use the old stem torpedos for night attacks and down the throat shots on a destroyer comming at me. I shoot when the range is down to 700-600 meters set to magnetic and high speed.

The electric eels are good for day convoy attacks when it pays to be dscreat, untill ships meet your torpedos!:yep:

Reece
08-25-08, 11:51 PM
Why I wanted the high speed is that after calculating the speed of this dd, 26knots, set the TDC, the angle of the slow torpedo was too great & only had electric, by the time I got the scope up & lock it was too late, damn warp speed!!:lol:

U-snafu
08-26-08, 12:35 AM
The only good thing about their warp speed is that if you get lucky enough to get a hit off the bow of one of them--they don't like to slow down either so it's fun to watch them act like a sub as they drive themselves under the waves w/only minor damage at their bow:arrgh!: .

Though only have had luck at that speed within 300 to 400 ft.

Reece
08-26-08, 01:02 AM
Yeh I know what you mean with the ship going down like a sub due to it's own momentum!:yep: I have gotten a few before, when I have had plenty of time to set up, sure looks good, & usually ends with stern sticking up at 90 degrees!:D