PDA

View Full Version : US troops out of Iraq by...

OneToughHerring
08-22-08, 06:13 AM
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/08/22/iraq.main/index.html

Just some quotes from the news item.

Troops would be restricted to their bases by June 20, 2009, instead of patrolling Iraq's streets.

Early version of plan have U.S. combat troops leaving Iraq by 2010

U.S. and Iraqi negotiators have reached agreement on a proposal calling for a complete U.S. military withdrawal from Iraq by the end of 2011, the head Iraqi negotiator said on Friday.

Deal would have U.S. troops out of Iraq by 2012

Anyone see a pattern here...? 2013, anyone...?

Happy Times
08-22-08, 06:15 AM
I see it, but i dont think the troop levels are going to be very high for long,no matter what.

Raptor1
08-22-08, 06:17 AM
No, they would start leaving in 2010 and finish by the end of 2011 or the beginning of 2012

That's what I made out of it

Konovalov
08-22-08, 06:22 AM
This is an indication of real progress and of Iraq increasingly looking after its own affairs.

Happy Times
08-22-08, 06:28 AM
This is an indication of real progress and of Iraq increasingly looking after its own affairs.

Hardly, Iraq will come sandbox for Iranians, Syrians, Saudis, Turks and Kurds, they will probably miss the Americans soon.

Konovalov
08-22-08, 06:33 AM

Hardly, Iraq will come sandbox for Iranians, Syrians, Saudis, Turks and Kurds, they will probably miss the Americans soon.

Time will tell on that question.

In any case from where Iraq was 2-3 years ago relating to casualty count, insurgent attacks, suicide bombings, law and order, and the Iraq economy you cannot deny that on all of these fronts real progress has been made. That is what I was referring to by "real progress". You cannot deny that surely?

Happy Times
08-22-08, 06:37 AM

Time will tell on that question.

In any case from where Iraq was 2-3 years ago relating to casualty count, insurgent attacks, suicide bombings, law and order, and the Iraq economy you cannot deny that on all of these fronts real progress has been made. That is what I was referring to by "real progress". You cannot deny that surely?

No i dont, but i cant see how these interests in the area wouldnt clash after the referee goes away.

Konovalov
08-22-08, 06:44 AM
No i dont, but i cant see how these interests in the area wouldnt clash after the referee goes away.
I am inclined to agree with you on that. Removing Saddam has changed the ME. But the question is was this for better or worse? I was always against the idea of going to war in Iraq but whats done is done. My hope is that Iraq will remain one country free of external influence from it's neighbours such as Iran. Hope however is not a strategy nor does it inspire overwhelming confidence in the future. As I said earlier though, time will tell.