PDA

View Full Version : Does SHIII relive major battles and campaigns of the war?

Paul Riley
08-19-08, 03:50 AM
As someone earlier wanted to know where to find warships as he hasnt encountered many yet,I mentioned taking notes of the major dates of the war like,Rommel's invasion of N.Africa,the D-Day landings,and possibly other events like the Battle of Britain,not to mention all the other campaigns that took place before or after these major ones.So,does SHIII include these events in the game,and are the dates accurate to history,roughy accurate at least?.So the battle of El-alamein in Oct 42 would be in the game?.As I am operating along the west side of Africa in my current patrol it would be great to get a patrol along the north coast of Africa in an attempt to harass the allied landings there.
Please,if you will,indicate which battles are included,and their approximate dates.
I appreciate that all this has probably been discussed in great detail long before now,but as many of you know I am one of the newer members in here and so I have missed this info,in fact there is that much to plough through in here I wouldnt know where to look if I tried.
Oh,no pictures please,if you were thinking of posting any,just a confirmation that the game includes the above.

Cheers :up:

Sailor Steve
08-19-08, 03:57 AM
SHIII does not. GWX and WAC do, and I think NYGM does as well. With GWX you can just read the manual and find out all the campaigns that are included, or with any of them you can look at the Mission Editor to see all the ships coming and going.

I can't post screenshots for GWX because seeing the historical battles doesn't interest me and I've never taken any. I wouldn't want to be in the Channel at any time, but especially not on June 6, 1944.:dead:

[edit] I was going to post a list of the historical operations included in GWX 2.1, but a quick look at the manual shows that the 'Historical Operations' section runs from pages 203-326; so that might be a bit tedious for both of us.

Paul Riley
08-19-08, 04:14 AM
Damn,thats a shame.
My interest in the battles in SHIII are mainly visual,and to provide a little visual 'lift',enabling you to get away from the plain monotony of sailing for weeks across empty ocean.It would be great to at least take part in the battles.I think Uboats would have been great support units for regular combat vessels.
Being in the channel during D-Day?,now that would be funny.Dont forget to bring some sort of ear protection,as things are gonna get very loud! :rotfl:
*I love the thrill of danger* :arrgh!:

von Zelda
08-19-08, 06:15 AM
It would be great to at least take part in the battles.I think Uboats would have been great support units for regular combat vessels.
Being in the channel during D-Day?,now that would be funny.

As Sailor Steve related, most of the major German sea operations are scripted into GWX. See the list in the manual. Invasion of Norway, D-day invasion, foray by the battle cruisers Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, Bismarck's maiden voyage, the Channel dash, to name a few. A submarine cannot take part in a land battle, about all a sub can do is attack supply ships and warships going to and from the area of battle.

I know for a fact that the battle for Narvik is very well scripted in GWX. I was lying in wait, submerged in the fjord as the British destroyers where heading to and from Narvik on April 9, 1940.

U-boats were found not to be good support units for regular combat vessels. There underwater speed was way to slow. They had almost no firepower on the surface and were extremely vulnerable. Their strong point was stealth and the wolfpack attack at night. Of course this too diminished with the advent of Huff Duff and radar.

HanSolo78
08-19-08, 07:11 AM
Like Sailor Steve mentioned, we did quite very huge research and efforts like GWx too because the campaign events are the main parts of our mod.
You could have a look at our manual too because there are all campaign events listed which have been implemented by me. All events have been detailed scripted.
http://files.filefront.com/WAC+30+Handbuch+manualpdf/;11203845;/fileinfo.html
In the mediterranean sea there are a few operations.

greetings

Paul Riley
08-19-08, 07:15 AM
Like Sailor Steve mentioned, we did quite very huge research and efforts like GWx too because the campaign events are the main parts of our mod.
You could have a look at our manual too because there are all campaign events listed which have been implemented by me. All events have been detailed scripted.
http://files.filefront.com/WAC+30+Handbuch+manualpdf/;11203845;/fileinfo.html
In the mediterranean sea there are a few operations.

greetings

Greeting to you too mate :up: