PDA

View Full Version : It will be game over in the UK one day

STEED
08-18-08, 12:03 PM
NOT THE DAILY MAIL SO READ ON...........:p

'Spy-in-the-sky' paves way for road pricing

Motorists are being warned they may face "pay as you drive" road taxes as ministers launch the first ever trials of a scheme that could see them charged for every mile they drive.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/fairdealfordrivers/2573876/Spy-in-the-sky-paves-way-for-road-pricing.html

Labour is re-elected in 2010 and this will be your second nightmare after the ID Card.

Vote Labour and keep those Nasty Conservatives out of power for another five fantastic years of the greatest labour government ever. :D

STEED
08-18-08, 12:21 PM
I don't really understand, is this meant purely to tax the hell out of you Britishs or is it meant as a way to discourage people from using their cars, to promote more "environment friendly" transports ?
If #1, then maybe labour is tired of running the country and is begging to get thrown in the bin ? :)
If #2, hum, why not, but they should make alternative "green-friendly" transports available before trying to get rid of cars. I've heard public transportation isn't the best in England (?)

You can bet your ass it will not be in Labours manifesto, care to note folks that is what they will do in the first year in office. So with three to four years to play around with they will bring in forward by the second year.

DeepIron
08-18-08, 12:22 PM
They do this now to truckers in the US. We have to account for every mile we drive in every state we cross and pay the road usage taxes. We also pay extra for turnpikes and expressways we use...

Because people are driving less, the FED and DOT are wondering where the $$$ will come from to pay for the upkeep on the public roads. Truckers already pay hefty fees. It'll only be a matter of time until the 4-wheelers get hit too...

Kapitan
08-18-08, 12:39 PM
Wow if we do have to pay does it go into the public transport system which i might add is falling apart and is over priced and bursting at the seams as we speak !

In a morning on my bus i go past loads of people a good 100 people simply because i am full the service is every 20 minuets so some people are there waiting an hour or more for a dam bus the trains fare no better.

Down town baghdad has a better public transport system then the UK !

Zachstar
08-18-08, 12:45 PM
If that is the case then I agree taxes are badly needed.. As long as it goes directly into bus and trains and ways to make them use less gas..

SUBMAN1
Well, politicians are known for bleeding people dry. What will they say when less people are driving because of it, and it impacts businesses because people aren't driving to them, and then they get less tax revenue because of it? Oh, they will use the buses. Have any of you tried the bus lately? It would take me 2 hours simply to go 15 min worth of driving. I'd rather stay home and listen to music or something.

What they are proposing is to completely eliminate the UK economy in a way, or to seriously impact it negatively.

Here is you problem with politicians - they are way too short sighted to see the big picture down the road. This is what I look for when I go to vote. If a politician can see the big picture, regardless of party, and I agree with that picture, then my vote is cast for them. They are a rarity these days however.

-S

Zachstar
They will be fine Subman.. Read above where there is not enough Bus transportation for demand...

SUBMAN1
08-18-08, 12:47 PM
They will be fine Subman.. Read above where there is not enough Bus transportation for demand...Try the bus. Doesn't work here. 2 hours is a minimum to get where you are going. And you have to stop at at least 1 transfer station and get on another bus. Then you have to wait to get back home.

I'd say to get to anywhere worth going, you are looking at a 6 hour ordeal just to take the bus. 4 hours both ways to get somewhere local.

-S

Zachstar
08-18-08, 12:49 PM
Look up Sportran.. I ride that every day and it is fine.. You are 100 percent wrong about the "6 hour ordeal"

Boo hoo about the transfer... If that is the reason you don't ride the bus then I can only laugh..

Bring on those taxes!

UnderseaLcpl
08-18-08, 12:51 PM
They do this now to truckers in the US. We have to account for every mile we drive in every state we cross and pay the road usage taxes. We also pay extra for turnpikes and expressways we use...

Because people are driving less, the FED and DOT are wondering where the $$$ will come from to pay for the upkeep on the public roads. Truckers already pay hefty fees. It'll only be a matter of time until the 4-wheelers get hit too...

There's a reason truckers pay more. Most highways and roads aren't built to support the weight of 18-wheelers. Vehicles weighing somewhere in the neighborhood of 100,000 lbs exert a considerable amount of pressure per square inch of traction surface-area. This, in turn, causes considerable damage to roads.
Logically, that translates into more fees to support the upkeep of said infrastrucutre.

Of course as an employee of, and therefore a proponent of the rail industry, I can say the best thing that ever happened to us was the surge in gas prices. Since companies often cannot afford timely shipping of goods by truck, they are forced to use the competition-starved and therefore inefficient and overly expensive railways.
The only thing that could mess us up was if rail lines were de-regulated in the same way that power was de-regulated in Texas. If anyone could use our rails, we'd have to shape up a bit. Luckily, we have a lot of well-paid lobbyists.

www.bnsf.com/careers (http://www.bnsf.com/careers)

SUBMAN1
08-18-08, 12:52 PM
Look up Sportran.. I ride that every day and it is fine.. You are 100 percent wrong about the "6 hour ordeal"

Boo hoo about the transfer... If that is the reason you don't ride the bus then I can only laugh..

Bring on those taxes!Again, be nice!

I just did it showing my grandmother how to get around without using her car (which she just totaled). We do not have a Sportran or whatever you call it.

She can't be that long on a bus to start with. Its too long for the elderly even. This was just an experiment to show her how to go shopping for groceries!

They have another thing for elderly people, but it stops so many places, it is no better.

-S

Zachstar
08-18-08, 12:55 PM
I ride with the elderly all the time on these sportran busses.. They have zero issues using the bus and half the time are more friendly than the people you meet at your destination..

You did it wrong.. Sportran is a local .gov operated bus service and a tribute to the efficiency of modern Shreveport.

So private bus services ought to be even higher quality..

SUBMAN1
08-18-08, 12:57 PM
I ride with the elderly all the time on these sportran busses.. They have zero issues using the bus and half the time are more friendly than the people you meet at your destination..

You did it wrong.. Sportran is a local .gov operated bus service and a tribute to the efficiency of modern Shreveport.

So private bus services ought to be even higher quality..That's neat, but it doesn't exist here. Seems to be an LA thing so I cannot comment on its pluses and minuses.

You guys aren't that spread out down there either.

-S

SUBMAN1
08-18-08, 01:19 PM
By the way, here is what is happening in other cities - http://cbs4denver.com/local/rtd.cutting.routes.2.759768.html

DENVER (AP) ― Metro residents who plan to take the bus or light rail to avoid $4 a gallon gasoline prices could be in for an unpleasant surprise.

The Denver area's Regional Transportation District is considering cutting service to some areas because of its rising fuel prices and declining sales-tax revenue, The Denver Post reported Sunday. RTD depends on a sales tax tacked on to purchases in the metro area to pay for most its operations.

Follows exactly with what I wrote above - less tax revune from sales tax snowballs everything.

-S

DeepIron
08-18-08, 01:20 PM
Since companies often cannot afford timely shipping of goods by truck, they are forced to use the competition-starved and therefore inefficient and overly expensive railways.
Actually I'm quite happy to see the RR's getting "back in the game"... I've been a big fan of the rail transportation sector for many years. If I'm not mistaken, the cost per lb/mile is about the lowest when compared to other freight transport industries. I'd love to see a second "Railroad Renaissance" in this country like we had from the 1900's throught the 1950's.

The thing that hurt the railways IMO, were the all the years and huge amount of $$$ the FED used to "subsidize" AMtrak... I think the public in general attached negative views to this and the image of RRs suffered.

My consolation, as a truck driver, is that practically no matter where you look, it'll still take a truck to get goods to the retailers somewhere in the supply chain.:up:

STEED
08-18-08, 01:25 PM
10 Years ago I had a good bus service and the cost was about right then the rot set in. The bus fare went up and up and up, then another company took over and then another and another until what we got to day. And what I got is a total crap service, they can not run on time if they tried and if you complain they kick you off the bus and tell you to write a letter to the company which I have done.

The response was we're look in to it which they never will or should I say never did in the first place. Getting a cab around here is like playing a lone shark back his interest. Train service is poor and the cost is out of this world.

Labour keeps banging on about pouring money in to public transport but there is no evidence around here. This country is finished and who ever is in power knows it, Inflation around the 5% mark and yet I got bills 10% higher and why? Because the Government & the Bank of England are lying to us about the real situation.

Zachstar
08-18-08, 01:25 PM
By the way, here is what is happening in other cities - http://cbs4denver.com/local/rtd.cutting.routes.2.759768.html

DENVER (AP) ― Metro residents who plan to take the bus or light rail to avoid $4 a gallon gasoline prices could be in for an unpleasant surprise.

The Denver area's Regional Transportation District is considering cutting service to some areas because of its rising fuel prices and declining sales-tax revenue, The Denver Post reported Sunday. RTD depends on a sales tax tacked on to purchases in the metro area to pay for most its operations.
Follows exactly with what I wrote above - less tax revune from sales tax snowballs everything.

-S

Thats why you tax driving... Dun dun dun problem solved.. People will demand more bus travel..

Zachstar
08-18-08, 01:26 PM
10 Years ago I had a good bus service and the cost was about right then the rot set in. The bus fare went up and up and up, then another company took over and then another and another until what we got to day. And what I got is a total crap service, they can not run on time if they tried and if you complain they kick you off the bus and tell you to write a letter to the company which I have done.

The response was we're look in to it which they never will or should I say never did in the first place. Getting a cab around here is like playing a lone shark back his interest. Train service is poor and the cost is out of this world.

Labour keeps banging on about pouring money in to public transport but there is no evidence around here. This country is finished and who ever is in power knows it, Inflation around the 5% mark and yet I got bills 10% higher and why? Because the Government & the Bank of England are lying to us about the real situation.

Leave then..

UnderseaLcpl
08-18-08, 01:26 PM
Since companies often cannot afford timely shipping of goods by truck, they are forced to use the competition-starved and therefore inefficient and overly expensive railways.
Actually I'm quite happy to see the RR's getting "back in the game"... I've been a big fan of the rail transportation sector for many years. if I'm not mistaken, the cost per lb/mile is about the lowest when compared to other freight transport industries. I'd love to see a second Railroad Renaissance" in this country like we had from the 1900's throught the 1950's.

The thing, that hurt the railways, IMO, were the all the years and huge amount of $$$ the FED used to "subsidize" AMtrak... I think the public in general attached negative views to this and the image of RRs suffered.

My consolation, as a truck driver, is that practically no matter where you look, it'll still take a truck to get goods to the retailers somewhere in the supply chain.:up:

Good points. We support trucks as well by using intermodal freight. And I share your dislike of Amtrak, they make our trains later because we have to get out of their way.
I'm actually kind of sad to see long-haul trucking suffering because it means we can charge ridiculous fees and provide totally inadequate service. I had one guy tell me "you guys are worse than the government" just a few weeks ago. His steel mill had to shut down for two days because we didn't bring his steel on time. Then we charged him for "yard storage" of his cars. Does that seem right to you?
We're an industry that is in desperate need of some competition, but I work there anyways because it pays well.

STEED
08-18-08, 01:28 PM
Leave then..

Love too along with the other 64% of the population who want out if we had the money to get out.

Zachstar
08-18-08, 01:30 PM
Then in the meantime I suggest rooting for advances in technology that will make life easier for you poor brits.. Like EEstor

UnderseaLcpl
08-18-08, 01:34 PM
Leave then..

Love too along with the other 64% of the population who want out if we had the money to get out.

You're welcome to come to America! It will be at least another decade or so before we're just like England.

DeepIron
08-18-08, 01:38 PM
Good points. We support trucks as well by using intermodal freight. And I share your dislike of Amtrak, they make our trains later because we have to get out of their way. :lol: The NTSC HATES it when you don't...
I'm actually kind of sad to see long-haul trucking suffering because it means we can charge ridiculous fees and provide totally inadequate service. I had one guy tell me "you guys are worse than the government" just a few weeks ago. His steel mill had to shut down for two days because we didn't bring his steel on time. Then we charged him for "yard storage" of his cars. Does that seem right to you? Well, don't be too sad. It's true, fuel costs have caused some problems for the Trucking Industry. The Owner/Operators (OOs) have had to tighten the belt I think as a group. But, many OOs I know are doin' fine and it's for two simple reasons. The guys who can't operate efficiently are going bust, more freight for those who adapt. Secondly, the "price per mile" paid by shippers has increased a bit. This is forcing more scrutiny and less waste. So, in a strange way, everyone (accept those who can't adapt) should benefit by having a more streamlined and efficient system.
As far as charging extra fees, well, it's all part of gaining more efficiency IMO. When I was solo driving, a consignee or shipper had 4 hours to get me on the dock or my company started charging for the delay. Amazing how some customers sorted out their "have the goods on the dock when the truck get here" problems...
There's only "X number of trucks or RR cars", gotta keep them moving to make $$$...

We're an industry that is in desperate need of some competition, but I work there anyways because it pays well. Competition will come IF the current state of affairs continues. The days of cheap conventional fuel are over so we should see some real capitalism at work. The one's that can adapt and be efficient will survive... BTW, nothing wrong with making a good living in my book!