PDA

View Full Version : Which operating system for SH3 and SH4?

CaptianT
08-15-08, 10:21 AM
Hello everyone!

I have just ordered a new laptop (Dell XPS 1730) and am really excited about finally being able to play SH3 and SH4 on it. Up to this point, I have only been able to play SH2 on my old seven year laptop.

Here is my question. Which operating system should I go with? My system will come with Windows Vista Home Premium (32bit) but Dell will also send me a disc to be able to reload it with Windows XP. Should I stay with Vista? (I mostly plan to play submarine simulation games, but may eventually branch out in a couple years and try some flight simulation games.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

SteamWake
08-15-08, 11:05 AM
You will probably be okay with Vista, although you may have to jump through a few hoops.

If it was my machine I would go with XP proven compatibility and up to date drivers are available.

NealT
08-15-08, 11:31 AM
Everyone I have talked with, listened to, read, or anything has said that for now, and particularly if you want to play games, XP is still the only way to go.

However, remember that everyone has their own opinion...

Dirty Dee
08-15-08, 01:14 PM
I am using vista ultimate 64-bit and the game runs great

Rockin Robbins
08-15-08, 01:23 PM
As of this writing XP beats Vista on every benchmark but one in the PC Pitstop barrage of comprehensive testing. My copy of Vista remains on the shelf, and I can confirm that it runs great there. My machine runs XP Media Center Edition and will at least until at the next version of Windows.

My next project will be dispensing with Windows altogether and running SH4 under Ubuntu Linux. SH3 has already been run that way under WINE. I'll bet SH4 can be too. Then my answer to you will be "neither!" Ubuntu makes Vista look like a 1948 Ford sitting next to a Lamborgini. Vista would be the Ford.:rotfl:

LeeVanSpliff
08-19-08, 09:18 AM
My copy of Vista remains on the shelf, and I can confirm that it runs great there.

Hahahaha! :D

I'd say go with WinXP. Vista squanders system resources imho.

SteamWake
08-19-08, 09:29 AM
My copy of Vista remains on the shelf, and I can confirm that it runs great there.

Yes that is a versitile platform. I have everything except Win2000 and Vista from MS-DOS V1.0 & (believe it or not) Pickles & Trout running there.

http://home.claranet.nl/users/pb0aia/cm/modelii.html :up:

Seminole
08-19-08, 07:37 PM
I am using vista ultimate 64-bit and the game runs great

yes dosen't it.. :yep: ...if I were only getting the 32 bit Vista I would prefer to go with XP.

skwasjer
08-19-08, 09:34 PM
I choose Vista x64 Ultimate over XP anytime...

Task Force
08-19-08, 09:46 PM
Vista 32bit is on the machine I own.:shifty: Its not the best but its all my parents can afford, But theres always Christmas.:D Dont get Vista 32Bit it stinks!:shifty:

CaptianT
08-20-08, 04:51 PM
Thanks guys for all the input!

It sounds like the concensus is to use either Windows XP or Vista 64bit. Since out of these two I only have XP, I guess thats the winner.

Just out of curiosity, how much cost and work is it to upgrade to Vista 64bit from the 32 bit. (I live in the USA.)

Rockin Robbins
08-22-08, 08:19 AM
Progress! Hope you can see this OK:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/Screenshot.png

OOOOh Yeah! There's my Ubuntu desktop with the ever hopeful Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific icon on the desktop. Yes, I successfully installed into Linux! Unfortunately something or other isn't working. I know SH3 works fine there, so I'm looking at that next to see if i can pick up any pointers. Then I'm going head hunting to the person who made SH3 work and if I have to buy him a copy of SH4 I'll badger him until he relents.

Ain't that pretty? If SH4 can be made to work in Linux, it's goodbye to any question about the best operating system to use. Heh, heh, heh!:up: Oh, upgrade cost to Ubuntu Linux with thousands of excellent quality programs and auto-updating of operating system and ALL installed software with a single click: Zero dollars, yen, marks, francs, pounds, euros, lira, etc! And I run it on a dual boot system with Windows XP. Linux can access and use my Windows partitions and read/write files just great without hurting Windows a bit. I play my whole music collection with Amarok accessing the music in my Windows partition. Windows access to Linux partitions is fraught with peril, putting both Windows and Linux in danger of corruption.

Any Mac users out there scratching your head at this screenshot? That's another heh, heh, heh!:cool: