PDA

View Full Version : Will Boeing bail on bid for $35 billion tanker deal?

SUBMAN1
08-11-08, 02:50 PM
Wow! I would have never thought!

-S

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/08/11/will-boeing-bail-on-bid-for-35-billion-tanker-deal/print/

Raptor1
08-11-08, 02:53 PM
Ouch, Boeing seems like the logical choice for a tanker, that must hurt the USAF

SUBMAN1
08-11-08, 02:54 PM
Ouch, Boeing seems like the logical choice for a tanker, that must hurt the USAF

No. I think it sends a message though.

Also, not sure a contract like that can be awarded without more than one player. It might be illegal.

-S

bookworm_020
08-11-08, 09:55 PM
IF the bid that airbus-northrop put in is viable, then it gets the contract I would think. Boeing can't complain if it doesn't submitt a bid, as it had every chance to.

SUBMAN1
08-11-08, 11:54 PM
IF the bid that airbus-northrop put in is viable, then it gets the contract I would think. Boeing can't complain if it doesn't submitt a bid, as it had every chance to.Problem comes when you have to show competitive bidding - a governmental requirement and law on large contracts. You must show a competitors numbers!

-S

jpm1
08-12-08, 06:03 AM
IF the bid that airbus-northrop put in is viable, then it gets the contract I would think. Boeing can't complain if it doesn't submitt a bid, as it had every chance to.Problem comes when you have to show competitive bidding - a governmental requirement and law on large contracts. You must show a competitors numbers!

-S

yes but there aren't loads of constructors capable to create this kind of product . i do a correction to the article EADS isn't french it's european

AntEater
08-12-08, 06:17 AM
Seems to me like a delaying maneuver.
The real sufferer is the USAF, they don't get new tankers anytime soon.
How extremely patriotic of Boeing, to jeopardize the readiness of the USAF.
I suppose they're only content if some of the KC-135 fall apart in mid air due to their age.

SUBMAN1
08-12-08, 11:00 AM
Seems to me like a delaying maneuver.
The real sufferer is the USAF, they don't get new tankers anytime soon.
How extremely patriotic of Boeing, to jeopardize the readiness of the USAF.
I suppose they're only content if some of the KC-135 fall apart in mid air due to their age.That's the deal - the KC-135's are doing just fine! They are not falling apart in the air.

-S

SUBMAN1
08-12-08, 11:01 AM
yes but there aren't loads of constructors capable to create this kind of product . i do a correction to the article EADS isn't french it's europeanThen by requirement, they need to create one, probably by going to another company like Lockheed. Someone that can build aircraft and submit a design as an alternative.

-S

AntEater
08-12-08, 11:06 AM
That's the deal - the KC-135's are doing just fine! They are not falling apart in the air.

-S

Ok, that's exaggerated, but old aircraft are maintenance intensive.
More maintenance, less ready aircraft, more spares in case something breaks down, less tankers overall, less sorties by fighter aircraft.
Most of these planes are Vietnam veterans and did cheesy movies with Jimmy Steward!

Ok, there are the KC-10s but those are not enough. Also, the rest of NATO depends on the US tanker fleet. The RAF is the only force that has somewhat close to as many tankers it needs. All others just have a few token tankers to support long range transfer flights.

SUBMAN1
08-12-08, 11:09 AM
Maybe this is a call to NATO to step up to the plate for once instead of letting the one country of the USA be the one Army in the world that has to do their job for them.

I'm tired of NATO kicking back and letting their forces dwindle with the idea that America will protect them at a time of crisis. I have to pay that bill with my taxes.

-S

AntEater
08-12-08, 11:17 AM
Actually a joint NATO tanker fleet would be a good thing, better still would be a EU tanker fleet which is made available to NATO.
Unfortunately, our politicians seem to disagree with me
:(
Btw, it would be funny if EU offers a contract for a joint tanker fleet and Boeing wins it
:rotfl:

jpm1
08-12-08, 12:31 PM
Actually a joint NATO tanker fleet would be a good thing, better still would be a EU tanker fleet which is made available to NATO.
Unfortunately, our politicians seem to disagree with me
:(
Btw, it would be funny if EU offers a contract for a joint tanker fleet and Boeing wins it
:rotfl:

be sure that if the american army choose the european plane it's very likely because it's simply the best