PDA

View Full Version : Now I Like Hawaii Much As The Next Guy

Seminole
08-11-08, 09:36 AM
..but what am I doing at Pearl? I was content operating out of Fremantle and certainly asked for no transfer. Yet after I got a new boat..The Drum..here I found myself sailing all the way back to my old hunting grounds in the Celebes Sea...all the way from Hawaii.

Seems like a serious waste of time and fuel to be doing this. :shifty: :nope:

So what happend? Is this type of unrequested transfer typical..'cause I've never experienced this before. :-?

Rockin Robbins
08-11-08, 09:43 AM
Son, there's the right way, the wrong way, and then there's the NAVY way. Right now you're doing things the NAVY way.

At least you have the Royal Hawaiian Hotel where you can ponder your fate at leisure between cruises. Have a Mai Tai and cool it a bit. Volleyball game at 16:00.

Diopos
08-11-08, 09:44 AM
..but what am I doing at Pearl? I was content operating out of Fremantle and certainly asked for no transfer. Yet after I got a new boat..The Drum..here I found myself sailing all the way back to my old hunting grounds in the Celebes Sea...all the way from Hawaii.

So what happend? Is this type of unrequested transfer typical..'cause I've never experienced this before. :-?

So maybe now you'll understand why the"flat earth" thingy is so annoying! :D :D :D
Take good care of your fuel!!!!!!!!!

LukeFF
08-11-08, 04:10 PM

Pearl Harbor at the time was the only port operating the Gato. You can't operate a particular sub class from a port that isn't currently employing it.

Seminole
08-11-08, 04:46 PM
At least you have the Royal Hawaiian Hotel where you can ponder your fate at leisure between cruises

WOW! You have no idea how chilling that statement was since I have often done those very things (except volleyball :roll: ) in real life , and others I won't list :oops: , courtesty of the good ole U.S.N.

The RHH has a long tradition of Navy service. I won't say how long ago it was when I was a frequent on and off guest but the receipts I turned in (I still have copies in my files) charged a two room suite at....$16.75 a night.
:o

..and worth every penny of your tax money too.....:yep:..Thank you all very much...

Seminole
08-11-08, 04:52 PM
Pearl Harbor at the time was the only port operating the Gato

Guess that would explain it then. I'm still wondering why I never encountered this before. Every single patrol I have started , but for one, has started with the Asiatic fleet. Never before woke up in Pearl with a hangover.

If I had know this I would have kept my old boat. At least it had surface radar even if the operator is a jerk about leaving it turned on and scanning...and was already where the action was at....relatively speaking.

Seminole
08-11-08, 04:57 PM

So maybe now you'll understand why the"flat earth" thingy is so annoying! :D :D :D
Take good care of your fuel!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah I ...understand that without explaination. And nobody is more fuel conscious than I. I left my new boat at Johnson topping off fuel bunkers this morning. I'm heading back in a few minutes with plans to still refit in 'Rooland until I really feel a need to come in for updates and promotions. Wish ta 'ell they had given me surface radar before I left though.

Seminole
08-11-08, 05:01 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...all this is almost pointless really...since Amazon ships Gold Edition in less than 48 hours...and I'll certanly begin a new career...

But at least I'll be more wary about accepting any new boat offered in future...so not a total loss...learn something new every day...

Quillan
08-11-08, 05:50 PM
Also true with other boat upgrades later. Pearl gets the new boats before the other Pacific ports, so if you're offered a Balao right after they become available, you'll be back in Pearl. It also won't let you transfer to a base that doesn't support your current boat, in my experience. I don't know if it will allow a transfer and a "downgrade" to a lesser model.

LukeFF
08-11-08, 06:43 PM
I don't know if it will allow a transfer and a "downgrade" to a lesser model.

Nope

Fearless
08-11-08, 07:09 PM
I was stationed in Pearl until I got relocated to Midway. I was in a Gato and got offered a Balao class which I accepted and remained in Midway. I tried doing a transfer but wasn't allowed so I dare say it depends on what sub type you have whether or not a transfer is possible.