PDA

View Full Version : Bar economics....

SUBMAN1
08-05-08, 10:19 AM
An oldie but a goodie! :D

-S

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay $1.
The sixth would pay $3.
The seventh would pay $7.
The eighth would pay $12.
The ninth would pay $18.
The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do. The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement until one day, the owner threw them a curve. 'Since you are all such good customers', he said, 'I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20. Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.'

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share?' They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so:

The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).
The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).
The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).
The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings).
The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

'I only got a dollar out of the $20,' declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man, 'But he got $10!'

'Yeah, that's right,' exclaimed the fifth man. 'I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than I!'

'That's true!!' shouted the seventh man. 'Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!'

'Wait a minute,' yelled the first four men in unison. 'We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!'

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D.
Professor of Economics, University of Georgia

Frame57
08-05-08, 10:45 AM
Good one! Remember this one?

Three travellers go to a a hotel. The clerk tells them it will be thirty dollars for all three to stay. They each pay ten bucks each. Later the clerk realizes that they were over charged by five dollars and gives five one dollar bills to the bellhop to give back to the men.

The bellhop decides that because there are three men he will give them each one dollar back and keep two for himself.

The three men each receive the dollar back from the ten they gave, so each man has now paid 9 dollars each. Between them that now accounts for twenty seven dollars. So the bellhop has kept two dollars, that added to the 27 dollars the men have paid for the room, equals 29 dollars.

What happened to the remaining dollar?:D

SUBMAN1
08-05-08, 10:57 AM
Good one! Remember this one?

Three travellers go to a a hotel. The clerk tells them it will be thirty dollars for all three to stay. They each pay ten bucks each. Later the clerk realizes that they were over charged by five dollars and gives five one dollar bills to the bellhop to give back to the men.

The bellhop decides that because there are three men he will give them each one dollar back and keep two for himself.

The three men each receive the dollar back from the ten they gave, so each man has now paid 9 dollars each. Between them that now accounts for twenty seven dollars. So the bellhop has kept two dollars, that added to the 27 dollars the men have paid for the room, equals 29 dollars.

What happened to the remaining dollar?:DThat's a trick joke! Never heard it before, but there is no dollar missing. Someone twisted that statement around. Took a double take to realize what happened.

-S

nikimcbee
08-05-08, 11:14 AM
Now which guy are you subman1 in the economic equation? I need to know before we go to that pirate bar of yours.:cool:

SUBMAN1
08-05-08, 11:25 AM
Now which guy are you subman1 in the economic equation? I need to know before we go to that pirate bar of yours.:cool:I'll disguise myself as one of the four. Does that work? :p

And besides, I'm married which automatically makes me poor!

-S

nikimcbee
08-05-08, 11:28 AM
Now which guy are you subman1 in the economic equation? I need to know before we go to that pirate bar of yours.:cool:I'll disguise myself as one of the four. Does that work? :p

-S

Kids?

SUBMAN1
08-05-08, 11:29 AM

-S
Kids?No. Unless you count pets. I have a parrot. Might be fitting to bring him to the bar.

-S

nikimcbee
08-05-08, 11:31 AM

-S
Kids?No. Unless you count pets. I have a parrot. Might be fitting to bring him to the bar.

-S

Yeah, pets count. Does your parrot talk?

SUBMAN1
08-05-08, 11:34 AM
Yeah, pets count. Does your parrot talk?Only when he thinks you can't hear him (shy). Very quiet bird. The perfect kind.

He can be annoying though. Knows how to push your buttons. For the most part, a good pet though. he's looking at me right now - sitting up on top of my computer desk. He knows I'm talking about him! :D

-S

nikimcbee
08-05-08, 11:44 AM
I have a friend who owns several parrots (an african gray), and it is a jabberbox. I've heard stories of the whacky things it says: "Here comes ol' sticky" (refering to my friend:rotfl: ) , " make me a peanut butter sandwich", " i've been a baaaaad bird", It also scolds his dogs.:rotfl:

If I ever had a parrot, I'd leave my russian language tapes on all day and see what the parrot learns. I could speak Russian with my parrot.

SUBMAN1
08-05-08, 11:53 AM
I have a friend who owns several parrots (an african gray), and it is a jabberbox. I've heard stories of the whacky things it says: "Here comes ol' sticky" (refering to my friend:rotfl: ) , " make me a peanut butter sandwich", " i've been a baaaaad bird", It also scolds his dogs.:rotfl:

If I ever had a parrot, I'd leave my russian language tapes on all day and see what the parrot learns. I could speak Russian with my parrot.
Well, I watch what I say around him because I've heard him pick up something the first time I said it. All I would need is him to pick up some swear words and that would be it. Not sure I could handle that with him swearing all the time.

I'm very careful to train him properly. He will probably outlive me, so he is a lifelong pet. 60+ years in some cases. He's about 10 right now.

-S

Sailor Steve
08-05-08, 04:06 PM
This must be the official Subman rehashes recent jokes week. They were all posted here withing the last month or so.

Oh, and Frame57, they each paid $9, which does indeed make $27...MINUS the two the bellman kept makes $25, which is how much the bill was, not counting the $5 that was returned.

SUBMAN1
08-05-08, 04:16 PM
This must be the official Subman rehashes recent jokes week. They were all posted here withing the last month or so....It was? Oops! I must have missed it. Sorry!

-S

STEED
08-05-08, 04:59 PM
Just in case this thread gets hot I'm digging in to my..................

http://www.4americanrecreation.com/images/popcorn-scoop-boxes.jpg

SUBMAN1
08-05-08, 05:17 PM

Well, I am happy to oblige!

http://www.sportsteamlayouts.com/layouts/dal1.jpg

STEED
08-05-08, 05:20 PM
CORRRRR

nikimcbee
08-05-08, 07:44 PM

Well, I am happy to oblige!

so this now going to be the number 1 thread around here!:up:

Platapus
08-05-08, 08:13 PM
\

Ahh I just look upon that picture of lovely ladies and think to myself

Not one of them would ever give you the time of day :cry:

August
08-05-08, 08:27 PM

Speak for yourself o duck billed one!

http://www.patriotsny.com/Pages%20in%20use%2005/PATRIOTS-CHEERLEADERS.gif

SUBMAN1
08-05-08, 08:27 PM

Hey! That is not cool! Sure they would! I bet you can date one of them rather easy to, but with that kind of attitude you will never get there.

My wife just hired one of the Sea Gals. They have impressive backgrounds believe it or not. 4 year degrees, helping out in the community, etc. That is just the tip of the iceberg.

To date hot chicks takes only one thing - confidence. The only way to get that is to surround yourself with other chicks who are just friends. Then talking to increasingly hotter chicks is simple to do, because you already know how to talk to chicks. I used to be a master.

-S

SUBMAN1
08-05-08, 09:47 PM
Speak for yourself o duck billed one!

http://www.patriotsny.com/Pages%20in%20use%2005/PATRIOTS-CHEERLEADERS.gif
Woo hoo! Did ya get a date?

-S

nikimcbee
08-05-08, 09:51 PM
Ha, I'll one up you guys! I've substitute taught for one of the Portland Trailblazer cheerleaders. and she even remembered my name the second time!

Score one for ol' mcbee:rock:

SUBMAN1
08-05-08, 09:58 PM
Ha, I'll one up you guys! I've substitute taught for one of the Portland Trailblazer cheerleaders. and she even remembered my name the second time!

If that's the case, then where was your date man??? When life throws you some goodness, you need to jump on it or lose it!

Just my 2 cents!

-S

nikimcbee
08-05-08, 10:03 PM

If that's the case, then where was your date man??? When life throws you some goodness, you need to jump on it or lose it!

Just my 2 cents!

-S

I don't think her very large boyfriend would have gone for that.

August
08-05-08, 10:07 PM
I thought this was about being given the time of day not dating...

baggygreen
08-06-08, 01:09 AM
If you can like, bring it down like, to something like there level, then like they'd so totally give you like, all the time you wanted, and like, you can all be like, BFFs!:lol:

unfair on the odd brunette in amongst the rest of the cheerleaders, i know, but what the hey, long live the stereotype!

PS the misuse of the word "there" was deliberate;)

UnderseaLcpl
08-06-08, 06:50 AM

Yeah I was excited to find out how to get it from them. I lost my watch recently.

Sailor Steve
08-06-08, 07:28 AM

Yeah I was excited to find out how to get it from them. I lost my watch recently.
I can tell you exactly what time it is: Time to clean out your PM Box!

Jimbuna
08-06-08, 08:09 AM

I remember her :up:

She was the one that was partially sighted :p

Sailor Steve
08-06-08, 01:15 PM
Visually challenged?

Perceptually limited?

Blind as a bat?

Dumb as a fence?

nikimcbee
08-06-08, 01:27 PM

Ha,ha,ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hKNQpN7avM

Jimbuna
08-07-08, 12:09 PM

Ha,ha,ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hKNQpN7avM

Were you the grey haired balding guy with the camera :hmm:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5549/361313gr7.gif