PDA

View Full Version : Replay revisited w/FRAPS

tomoose
08-04-08, 11:44 AM
For those of us with the lower end machines. I couldn't use FRAPS during a mission as it just CHUGGED and was next to useless for creating a video. I got to thinking that it was a memory-related problem so did some asking around. There was a couple of things I could do.
First off, I reset my Page File. For those of you who don't know what a page file is, it's a new term for what used to be the Windows Virtual Memory. Search using "What is a page file" to find out more.
Anyways I moved my page file from the C drive to my much larger D drive and increased the page file size to match my RAM (2 Gig).
Second, instead of trying to use FRAPS during an actual mission I used it while using a REPLAY game. It actually worked!! Granted it's not that smooth, it stutters a bit but I was impressed that it worked at all.
So, the REPLAY function within SHIV has some advantage after all. I'm guessing I can use FRAPS within a REPLAY game as the game is not doing all the other functions required during actual gameplay.
Not earth-shattering news for the people with high-end machines but I toss it out there for what it's worth.

My system specs:
AMD 64 3700+ (2.4Ghz)
2.5 Ghz RAM
nVidia 7800 AGP 256Mg
Win XP SP2

Rockin Robbins
08-04-08, 12:06 PM
Excellent!!! I know when I had and Athlon 64 3700+ there was no way I could do a video. Only after I upgraded to my Opteron 175 did it become possible. Danger! If you have a Socket 939 motherboard we're entering that part of the market cycle where you get price penalized for upgrading. I was lucky to get my Opteron for $153 in January. It was tremendously worthwhile!

tomoose
08-04-08, 12:20 PM
RR; roger that. I've got a 754-pin socket so I guess that won't be a problem, LOL.:-?

I'm thinking that I conducted the above experiment without closing down any hidden programs either so there's still potential to smooth things out a bit more.

Eventually I'll have to upgrade.....again, as we all do particularly when the next 'hot' game comes out.:-? The neverending cycle!!